Evolution- Chapter 19: A Hunter of men
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

David’s POV

“Sir, I have located Jason. He was staying with a group of others in Evanston, Wyoming.” I explained to my superiors that I saw Jason making a clean getaway. I know he must have seen me, even in my disguise.

“And his current status, Major?” My superior requested more information on the matter.

“He is getting stronger, Sir. The last time I’ve seen him was at the Solstice Inn in Provo, Utah. He doesn’t seem to remember or recognize me. They were a woman with him.”

“And did you kill her?”

“Negative, Sir! My reason is to see if the target recognizes me and if not, jog his memories. To confirm 100% if he was we are looking for. The woman was a non-essential.”

“It covered you in the mist, Major, and you didn’t compromise your identify. Does the target knows any more about what we do?”

“Unlikely, sir! He has retrograde amnesia. I’ve been monitoring his progress ever since he woken in Sandy.”

“How did you come across this information, Major?”

“I’ve been watching him since he woke up. I need to confirm that he is 100% our person of interest. The last thing, we want-”

“Continue your observations, Major! The shareholder would want to know more about the current situation at hand. May I remind you that until we know 100% he is our man…”

“Focus on observations, no lethal force allowed until further notice.” I remember clearly that I went to search for Jason… and then once he is found and we confirmed that he is 100% our man, then bringing him dead or alive would be paramount.

“Good, we can count on you to do your job.” I hung up after our discussion was finished.


Reflections

As the call ended, I sat down to reflect on the events over the past weeks… I sat down on the rooftops to steady my mind and recall on the latest events so far.

My mission so far

  • I’ve found Jason by the garbage bins in Sandy, Utah. Confused upon waking up at first. Suddenly, he took charge of that situation and gather all the information he needed to know.
  • I’ve trailed him to a motel there and watch him killed a group of those walking corpses. He must know that he was invisible to them. Then I overheard a couple were scared out of their wits and the man called him a ‘zombie’. I was hugging the wall as I overheard the conversation.
  • He walked out of the motel, screaming to the sky. That when I know he doesn’t have his memory or remembered our unit. Then I saw them approach a group of survivors…

The Jason I know would not be that reckless and let him get himself in a comprising position. I would have left him to his fate, had not noticed an influx of time. He slowed down time, and he didn’t have the best of control during that time. Not to mention that his ‘new’ friends has saved his ass.

I’ve followed them through their journey, staying out of sight and in the shadows. When they arrived in Provo, they took residence inside the Inn. I’ve explored the place while they were distracted and fighting the dead that went I noticed a woman coming to the basement. I’ve stayed out of sight, not letting sense or see me in the shadow.

That when Jason came down to the basement to look for that ‘woman’. I gotta admit I was amused when they joked about him tasting some applesauce. That when I had put on my black mask and reveal myself to him, I had to jog some memories loose in his brain.

“Where are you going, buddy? Leaving so soon?” I had to speak to him again… I had needed to know if ‘that’ the Jason I know. “You really think that I wouldn’t keep tabs on you after you left, Sandy?” To my surprise, despite not ‘remembering’ me, he is still sharp as ever.

“I don’t know who you are… I feel you are very dangerous and capable of killing us in one go. The mist is not affecting you, so I’ll assume that you are a Sentient as well.” 

And just as I was about to tell him everything… everything, including who he really is, the bitch ruined everything…

“NO! WAIT! DON’T!” As that woman fired her rifle at me, I stopped time around me, walking to the woman at her side. I had considered killing the woman since she didn’t heed my warning in the first place… If I do, knowing Jason… he would not sit well with such a thing and it would also compromise my mission.

Instead, I’ve walked up to Jason, he is not aware fully that I can stop time and we lock his eyes at each other.

“Jason…” I spoke, even though he could not hear me now. “I mean what I said, I wanted to tell you everything at once. You and I, been through enough shit to know you deserve better than this… Better than what the higher ups that have in store for you.” 

I accept the fact that Jason will not hear this, but I know without a doubt…

“Get stronger, Jason.” I told them that to get to his strength that he had before… “And then when that time comes that you remember anything… Well…” I headed back to that woman. “I hope you survive long enough to get them back.”

Since then, I kept watch over him and his friends, sharing vital information to my superiors, including him blowing up a mega-breeder. They did state that they need to confirm that is 100% their target but what they don’t know…

Is that I know who Jason really is, he and I fought against our enemies in the past. So, enough dawdling around… It is time to meet with Jason again. This time, I am going to let him see my face, and it won’t be like last time on Provo.


Waiting for an old friend

Knowing their destination to be Green River, Wyoming, I sprinted at high speeds. The benefits of being an elite soldier… is being able to move around the world quickly and I’m sure Jason should realize that fact by now.

Then… I choose to wait for them in the middle on the road on the highway. They’ll be there in a day or 2 and when they get here…

“Jason… I will wait for you to come.” I sat down on the hard pavement in a lotus position. “If you can survive this, then i’ll know you got what it takes. And if not…” I smiled to myself, I know can he can survive this.

Don’t die on me, Jason! You have a knack for surviving death, show me your strength. Show me the fighter that you still are, and you’ll claw your way out of this hellhole. You ain’t the untrained and hotheaded rookie that you used to be.

0