Evolution- Chapter 20: Conflicts between Survivors & Sentients
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jason’s POV

“They are gaining speed, Brad! Can this thing move any faster?!” Jenny notices our pursuers have gained speed to where they are behind the van.

“I can’t! That far as it can go!” Despite Brad stepping on the gas, they drove up on the side and fired a shot that pierces the glass, following us to duck.

“Samantha, Jenny! With me! Let’s run them off.” I rolled the window down.


Taking out the pursuers

I’ve put out my head out the window, following my shoulder and pointed my finger to fire off a laser which I ducked back in when they were firing off shots. Samantha dashed toward with the speed of a hurricane, killing some of our pursuers and commandeering their vehicles. Jenny got on a top of the van and turned her hands into tentacles, swiping against the pursuers and deflecting some of their bullets.

More of them are still coming. They must have called for reinforcements, and they will not stop until we are dead.

“More of them are still coming, Brad!” Samantha just got back into the car.

Then I noticed they are suddenly falling back… No, they are going to get more of their friends. I won’t let that happen… If they get back into the city, they will do a manhunt to find and eliminate us. 

I jumped out of the car and used super speed to go after them those that seek to return to the city. I landed atop on one of them; raised up using gravity as well, catching 3 of the cars beside it. Throwing toward the other 3 vehicles which they collide into a gigantic mushroom cloud of red flames, I dashed toward the last 3 vehicles, blasting the vehicle on my left side, which the driver swerved off the road.

Used telekinesis on the last 2 vehicles, the drives, seen that a ‘undead freak’ is holding them in place tried to get out of the vehicle. I’ve made sure they won’t be getting out of there by locking the door. Then I saw a drill made of bioorganic that penetrated both of the vehicles… Samantha. 

She turned into a drill in order to finish the rest of them. By that time, it covered her with blood and guts. We hurried back to the van, which our speed made it easier to get back.

“What the FUCK, Jason?!” Brad shouted at me as soon as I got back. “Why did you head back?! They were retreating, and they weren’t a threat anymore. You didn’t have to kill them.”

“Jason knew that if we let them go, they would have alerted the others about us. The last thing we want is them hunting us down. You were fortunate that he had the sense to finish them.” I didn’t think Samantha is vouching for me.

“Samantha, I-”

“I’ve only gone with you to make sure the job is done. That is all.” We floored when she said in a matter of fact.

“Thank you…” Which then she ignored… She must be still angry with me after that campfire argument.


The man on the road

We had not said a word since we escaped the city and the sun was rising toward the sky. I’ve taken over and drove while Brad and Jenny were sleeping in the back seat. That leaves me and Samantha staying up through the night.

“Samantha…” 

“Look out!” I nearly ran into a man on the road, stopped it in the nick of time. Wait… is that?

“Dude, what happened?” Brad was stirring from his rest, wondering about the commotion.

“Why am I seeing a military solider with a black mask standing in the middle of the road?” Jenny is more focused on the man ahead of us.

“You are correct, young lady.” We were hearing a voice in our heads. The man is using his mind to communicate. “I’m only here for Jason. I just want to speak with him. Don’t get out of the car for your safety.”

“Okay, who are you?” Brad asked in return, but man is being tight-tipped about his intentions toward us.

“Samantha Doggins, the heir or ex-hair to the family fortune… I didn’t think you are traveling with your lessers.” He knows her but… “I only wish to speak with Jason. Alone.”

“Let me talk with him, guys.” I need some answers from the man… he’ll pay, for he has done to Melanie.

“Jason, we are not letting you deal with him alone.” Brad urged me against the idea since they don’t know how dangerous that the man can be.

“He wants to just talk with me… this way, no one has to get hurt and I know he can force his way if he has to.” I turned toward him… he is still standing there.

“Be careful, Jason!” I nodded.

As I step outside of the car, the man made his way toward me. I need answers first before I draw to conclusions. Why is he after me? What is his intentions toward me? Isn’t he part of the military forces?

“Jason! I knew you would make your way over here. I said the next time we meet I won’t be wearing a mask.” The man took his black mask… as I thought. His eyes were growing green and his face look like it been through hell.

“Face to face… I can respect it.” I nod in approval. “Do whatever you want with me, but leave them out of this. I am the one you want.”

“You misunderstood me, Jason. I don’t want them, nor am I here to harm them. I waited here on the road, waited to see the savior of Price, Utah.” Seriously, not I’m a savior to these people… “You wonder why I wounded your ‘friend’ Melanie? She was not my target, and I had considered killing earlier for her interference.”

“But you let her became infected and probably she has become a danger to those she loves!” I reminded him he wounded her, exposing her to the toxins within the mist.

“I had warned her before she fired off that rifle, Jason! Do I look like some psychopath who gets a kick of infecting people for fun? I am really the type to go around killing people because they are in the way? You think I honestly enjoy taking hostages? Or that I am simply here to kill or capture you, to take you to my ‘evil’ lair?” What is he…? “If I was, Jason, I could have ended you back at Sandy while you were laying down on the ground or take care of you back at Provo and eliminated her instead. Even you know you won’t be a match for me back then.”

“Do you expect me to accept it as a justification for what you did?” I am not really keen trusting this man.

“I was expecting you to want answers on the matter, not justifications. Ain’t deluding myself with excuses, I did what I have to do and accept that.”

“Then answer this…” I have a question in the back of my mind. “How much do you know of me?”

The man turns away upon asking that question. Remember the last time when I push someone too hard for information, they clammed and nearly killed me. I’ve waited for the man to respond after being silent for a moment. His emotions were clashing inside of him, debating whatever if he should tell me.

“Jason… Enough to know of how capable you are. When you see my face now.. My true face.. Do you remember me?” I nodded. I can’t… I can’t remember anything about him. “Do you remember me, Jason?!”

“I said no! I don’t remember you at all! Yet you act like we are best pals and stuff like that. You do that either to get a rise out of me or-” The man moved out of sight and grabbed me by the collar.

When I looked into his green eyes, there was a lot of grief, absolution and yet he is looking for me. The man's face contorted in frustration that he realizes the person I was would not remember him.

“Do… You… Remember… me?!” The man is still insisting that I need to remember him.

“I’ll say it again…” I have enough of this man’s foolishness. “I do not remember you and even if I did, I would have punched you for talking crazy to me.” The man suddenly calms down and loosens his grip on me.

“Yep, you would.” The man is smiling in my face. “I’m proud of you and in fact…” The man lets a grin on his face. “Punch me!”

“No. I’m not stupid.” I turned my back to him. “Even if I did, you said that you can overpower me. Fighting you will just be as futile and after grabbing my neck, which I didn’t even see you until then. I’d be a fool to fight you now.”

“Only those that stay clam in battle are the winners.” I… I….

I clench my head when he spoke those words… Why…. How he did he…? I dropped to my knees… I don’t…

“Jason!” Samantha & Jenny ran out of the car to aid me.

0