Evolution- Chapter 25: The Fight against the dead- Part 2: Defending the Town
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brad’s POV

When I saw Jenny giving me that look… she still holds me responsible for what I have done here in the city. I didn’t… I shouldn’t have…. I’ve lost control of myself when he mentioned the town of Green River is destroyed by the dead. Everyone gave me looks. I’ve subjugated them to my pain and grief… It was like I touched the minds of every person within the fort…

When I heard Jenny’s voice… That when realize the extent of the damage I’ve caused. I…

“Beat yourself up later, Brad! We need to go now! The mist is coming.” Samantha tapped me on the shoulder. “Brad, we need to go! You heard the man, they want us gone.”

“No.. We need to stay and help them fend off the threat here.” I protested I am not leaving here to their own devices.

“They don’t want us here! They made it clear, Brad! I don’t want to stay here we’ll be on their sights.” 

“This is my fault, Sam. If hadn’t lost control over myself, Jenny and the others wouldn’t have got caught in what i’ve done.” Gertrude ran up toward us.

“The mist is here! I thought we made it clear. You are no longer welcome here. And yet, you remain here.” She raised her hand before I can say anything “I know what you went through and the pain you felt. Hell, the pain you put us through.”

“Let me make it up to you, guys.” She turned to Jenny which she express worry about her well-being.

“I’m only allowing this for her sake, not yours.” She gets into my face to warn me. “Get in position.” We ran toward the front line.


Redeem myself in a field of corpses

As soon as the dead pouring in, I saw they ran into a straight line with no thought. I claded myself in Bio-armor and collide with the first one that I see. Jason, Samantha and Gertrude threw themselves into the thick of the battle. One of them came jumping on me. I gave it a good punch to the head.

However, more of them surround me as soon as I’m finished with that one. Think quickly, I’ve made spike protrude from my armor to keep them from talking a bite. One of them punching my armor, I was flying back as the pieces of it crumbling into the ground. As it was close to taking a bite, Gert blasted it at the head as it got near.

“Here! Stick with guns!” She handed me a rifle and saw that Samantha suggested it.

“Thanks!” I fired at both zombies behind her.

“Save it when we were done if you can…” She ran to fight more of the dead.

I ran off to fight off more of the dead as well as assisting the others as I can. I found Melinda manipulate the earth itself; she was firing them like bullets at the dead.

“Melinda, find your father. Make sure everyone is alright!” I pleaded for her to head back into the city.

“What are you doing here?! Is killing us isn’t enough already?” 

“Your father and your friends are important! I’m not afraid to give my life to help them out.” A boulder rises from the ground, pushing me back.

“Help YOUR friends! We got this, we don’t need your help!”


The aftermath of the battle

After the last zombie fell, the mist was clearing up… Edward was having a good time, setting up his flamethrower at the remaining corpse that are left. I looked at my arms… Teeth marks, scratches and some piece of flesh are showing. Jason back up near me to make sure we took out the rest of the dead. I saw a group of the townfolk heading toward us.

Jenny and Samantha joined us. They pointed their guns at all of 4 of us.

“You! I thought I told you to leave while the mist is up.” Mason removed his gas mask and pointed his rifle at me.

“I’m sorry for how it ended! It was my fault that I let my powers veer off of control. I’m sorry for what I put you enough.”

“Sorry ain’t enough, and you know it! You nearly killed my daughter, my family, my friends. And you are adamant on heading to Green River. I was a fool for even bring it up.” I looked down. He had a point. “Go then! But know this! Your journey will not end in the way you wanted. You are lucky that I’m not planning to put a bullet into your skull today.”

“Then I’ll leave and you won’t see me again!” 

“Then do that! And should your sorry ass and your ‘friends’ return here… I WILL PUT EVERY BULLET IN ALL OF YOUR SKULLS!”

“Father…” Melinda calms him down… I should leave… now. “One more thing, Brad!”

She ran toward us and encase in an earth cocoon… She took us back to the van. Except we have more supplies than before.

“We paid our debt to you guys. Just don’t let us see you again.” She turned to Jenny. “And thank you for talking some sense to your friend there. One of these days, I’ll return the favor.” With that, she headed back to the city.

Without a word, we drove back on to the road, putting some distance between me and the city. What mason said about the city being covered in mist… I don’t believe it.

We headed to a rest stop for us to rest; I need to be alone with my thoughts. We got some change of clothing. I’ve got a blue baseball cap with a golden trim. I haven’t talked with Jenny or the others for a while, their probably still angry with me after that incident.

0