Chapter 2: Visitor at the Door
940 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Low Power Mode Enabled

Stealth Mode Enabled

Cannot connect to external Databank: Disable Stealth Mode to establish a connection.

Local Databank Locked: Higher Authorization Level Required

Warning: Access to various features has been blocked by an external source.

Current Authorization Level: 5


Finally starting to get some answers, I was glad that the cube seemed to be equipped with what seems like a computer, something that I can somewhat understand amongst the many things I can't. Low power and stealth seemed pretty straightforward, but looking at the glowing thing in question made me doubt that the stealth setting is working.

Could maybe just be the equivalent of airplane mode. Stealth makes it sound more like military equipment. If it is, I better not touch whatever the local databank is, if I could even figure out how.

The last two lines did not bother me as it was not mine to begin with, and, while definitely curious about the nature of the thing, had more pressing concerns.

"Can you make a call? Or connect to the internet?"


Cannot connect to external Databank: Disable Stealth Mode to establish a connection.


"Turn off stealth mode then."


Higher Authorization Level Required


"Of course it is. What even can you do?" I asked in exasperation, seeking against any hope an alternative to disturbing the locals I stole from in the middle of the night.

Three more screens flickered to life, one an empty list labeled 'Inventory', another containing an outline of the human body filled in green with the head slightly darker, and the last one was what appeared to be a very zoomed-in map of my current surroundings, around which it was blank. As I examined the new displays, the original one filled with new text.


Current Configuration

Hypercube

  Designation: UNSET

  Identifier: ERROR

  Further Data Restricted

Integrated Gestalt Entity

  Designation: Valerie Palmer

  Species: Vampire

  Gender: Female

  Age: 22(0)

Physical Capabilities (Current / Potential)

  Strength: 10B / 9B-High

  Speed: 10A-Low / 9A

  Constitution: 9C-High / 7C-Low

  Reflex: 9C-Low / 4C-High

  Intellect: 10A / 1B-High


Why it had my name listed under whatever that header meant was a tad disturbing, on top of knowing my age. What confused me most however was as to why was it seemingly calling me a vampire.

While not believing myself to be gullible, I had still run my tongue across my teeth and froze as I felt what were definitely sharp and long fangs. I quickly brought my hand up to feel and nudge them, but no matter how hard I tried, they did not budge, feeling even more solid than my normal teeth. I truly prayed for the first time in my life that they were just really good prosthetics and, as cliche as it was, that the whole vampire thing was a prank but so many weird things had already happened that adding one more to the pile made it seem all the more plausible. There was only one way to know for sure.

I bet I'll feel so stupid once the sun comes out and nothing happens. Probably even stupider if something does, though...

Looking around at the horizon, there was no indication that the sun was going to rise anytime soon.

"Do you by any chance know what time it is?" It blinked once, causing me to let out a tired sigh.

The physical capabilities section seemed intriguing, especially the potential if it could actually know that, but it did not help that the ranking system did not mean anything to me without someone else to compare it to.

"Do you have an explanation for the physical rankings or how you even got them?" At this point I was just accepting anything was possible, keeping an open mind so I do not go crazy trying to justify it all because frankly, I could not.


Higher Authorization Level Required


I'll just assume for now that anything it hasn't shown me is locked away. I can interrogate it later.

As much as I hated the dress, I relented and quickly changed into it, but not before turning away from the floating cube. I was rather surprised by how well the dress fit me; it was exactly my size. I tossed the oversized pants at the cube which disintegrated much like the dress earlier and told it to stay like it was a puppy before walking back to the front of the house. After making sure it did not follow me, I took a deep calming breath of fresh, unpolluted air and knocked loudly, hoping the residents could hear me. Besides being the closest, I had wanted to apologize as soon as possible.

After a moment of silence passed I knocked again but harder, causing it to swing inwards a bit. Startled by the fact that it was unlocked I pushed in on the door handle which was nothing more than a piece of metal bolted on. There seemed to be a rusted metal loop on the inside of the doorframe and, stepping inside, could see a hook hanging from the door. The inside was dark but still visible with dirt floors and what looked like a combined kitchen and dining area.

Did they forget to lock their door or does it normally not matter in these small communities?

This entire house looked like it belonged in medieval Europe, making me feel all the more guilty for taking their clothes. It also made me question where I am, or even when I am all the more, if not both.

How far from London am I? Is this some sort of preserved village or did I go back in time?

"Hello? Anyone home?" I called out apprehensively, "I'm lost and need directions. I knocked and opened the door by accident."

No response. I pushed on, entering all the way to get a better look at what was inside. There were only two other doors in the house and I walked up to the closest, pressing my ear against it. When I could not hear anything, I knocked once more and slowly opened it to reveal what seems to be a rather full larder with an overpowering smell of various dried ingredients. Closing it, I moved on to the other door and repeated the process to reveal an empty bedroom, with a messy double bed and a couple of chests along the walls.

Now worried of the missing residents returning and finding me having seemingly broken in, I rushed back outside closing both doors behind me. Both relieved there was no one outside and anxious that this may be a ghost town, I took solace in the fact that the house definitively looked lived in and I was probably just becoming paranoid from all that has happened so far.

Much like before, the rest of the houses on the other side of the ditch were still shrouded in darkness and I set off on the dirt path leading to the wooden crossing. If the house I had just been in was any indication, I doubted anyone here had electricity but a landline was still a possibility. At the very least directions or some answer as to where this is would be a step in the right direction.

The sound of water running reached my ears as I approached the bridge, accompanied by a foul, rotting stench that made me quickly plug my nose but I could still taste it in the air. Worried as to what I might find dumped in the water, I slowed my steps, wanting to gag from the smell as I got closer. Peering over the grassy lip of the stream, the sight of two bodies tangled together entered my vision, with mangled limbs held together by sinew on bone, innards sprayed out dragging in the water as if they had been dug out their stomachs, and their untouched heads staring up at the sky frozen in expressions of anguish.

I ran. I felt the bile rising up my throat as I gagged repeatedly, my body wanting to get the stench of rotting flesh out of my body after realizing what it was. My feet thudded hard against the hard dirt ground, not slowing down even after reaching the door of what felt like the only safe haven right now. I slammed against the wood hard as I shoved it open, pain jolting up my arm but I ignored it. Spinning on my heels, I closed the door as fast as I could and fumbled with the lock that at this moment seemed way too flimsy. My hands were shaking but I managed to hook it closed before turning to the dining room table and pushing it as fast as I could up to the entrance, glad that it swung inwards. I knew all the windows were closed but I made sure to double-check them all before settling down into a corner and hugging my knees.

This was too much. It was all too much. I was wearing the clothes of a dead woman, hiding in their house from whatever had done that to them while not knowing where I was or how I got here. I was alone. Burying my head between my arms and knees, I started to sob uncontrollably, but tears would not come no matter how much time passed. Eventually, when I looked up to wipe my nose, I saw the cube laying on the floor beside me, its light gently pulsing. Seeing it there actually made me smile and I gently placed my hand on top of it. It was warm, seemingly radiating its heat a bit unlike before where it was only warm to the touch.

"We'll get through this, won't we." Seeing it blink twice made me feel like it was alive, making me smile even more and feel a little less alone at the same time.

Maybe it was just me seeking companionship in desperation but I did not care. I took a deep breath and stood up, the cube levitating up as I did so, and looked around the room to take stock of the situation. I had a shelter and food, and was close enough to the stream that I could stake it out from one of the windows here. While I did not want to stay here for longer than necessary, it would give me time to properly question the cube, which was once again levitating beside me while once again emitting its constant white glow. Since it could also carry stuff, experiment with that could be useful. Staying active will keep me distracted from once again breaking down so I headed to the pantry to see what I could find when a sudden noise at the barricaded front door made me freeze in my tracks and goosebumps rise across my skin.

A deep, blood-chilling growl resounded from outside, prodding me to grab the cube out of the air and hold it up ready to strike.

A loud thud shook the door and table.

31