Chapter 16: The Long Road Ahead
583 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared at the holographic screen in anticipation, expecting more but ultimately, nothing happened. With my wild theory suddenly having support, I was craving a drink even more, as the idea of this being broadcast for some sort of show suddenly became much more of a possibility.

"Are you recording me?" A single flash.

"Streaming? Is anyone watching or listening?" Once more it answered in the negative with no delay.

I became frustrated at the fact I could only ask yes or no questions as I really wanted to know why I was here, but without any ideas, there was no way for me to figure it out other than spitballing whatever came to mind, if it was even being truthful.

"Okay then, so what can I do with this new level?" A brand new screen flashed in response.

 


Low Power Mode Enabled

Disable Low Power Mode?

Yes? / No?


 

For a moment I became worried as to what might happen and contemplated doing it outside, but my curiosity and impatience at a potential clue as to what is happening won.

"Yes!"

The screen turned off and I waited expectantly in silence, however, once again the result was uneventful. Nothing seemed to have changed yes I still waited for a few more moments in case there was a delay. Eventually, a shout carried up through the window from outside from some of the revelers downstairs broke my patience.

"What, that's it? Did anything even change?"

"Yes." A robotic, monotone, and almost familiar sounding voice replied in English.

I almost jumped in surprise at the unexpected verbal reply and a grin spread on my face at the sudden breakthrough in communication.

"Can you be more specific?"

"I have regained advanced cognitive functions and restrictions which have been placed on me regarding communication have been lifted. Scanning and reassembly within my interdimensional storage has been restored to full operational capacity. Excess use will force me into low power mode without an external energy source."

"Okay, who placed those restrictions?"

"An unknown entity."

"You don't know?"

"Access to my local databank is restricted. Events prior to you first regaining consciousness after alighting on this planet are locked behind a level three authorization requirement."

"And how do I get level three authorization?"

"Unknown. It will be granted when specified conditions are met."

"Can I get back home? To Earth?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"I do not know."

"How do you know I can go back then?"

"There is an extremely high probability that travel is not one-directional. Establishing communications with external databanks would allow for information gathering and potentially getting into contact with the entity responsible for my restricted access and your transferrable to this world."

"So how do you connect?"

"Once stealth mode has been disabled, which requires level two authorization, all long-range communication methods will become available. They have, however, been restricted behind a level one authorization requirement."

Hearing that I seemingly had to unlock all of the restrictions through unknown requirements to just get the information on how to return home, my prior excitement to hearing it was possible crumbled.

That could take anywhere from weeks, months to who knows how many years!

I now had a concrete goal but no path to tread. I would have to stumble about in the dark and seemingly need to trial and error, which was honestly an impossible task.

Maybe it's related to how much I figure out on my own? Will I need to simply toss theories until one sticks?

I threw myself back onto the bed as I contemplated what could possibly be a condition to unlock the next step. There were at least three, and if I had to do them in order, it would mean resetting my progress every time I discovered one.

I'm going to need to keep track of everything I try.

"Can you keep notes for me?" I asked while propping myself up.

"Yes. I can create new entries within my databank without restrictions. I can both record and keep text through verbal or written input. Would you like me to perform any of those?"

So it can record. I swear if this is in fact some sort of gameshow I'll kill the producer.

"No, it's fine. What even are you?"

"A hypercube."

"A what?"

"A physical link between dimensions. An anchor to allow safe traversal and conversions from one dimension to another."

What the hell?

"Why would something like that be left with me?"

"Your consciousness has been integrated into a higher dimension and I am providing a link between it and your current host body to allow you to retain conscious thoughts and interact with the current physical dimension until you adjust."

"Huh?"

I took a moment to process what it just said but I honestly had no idea what it meant or was talking about. I did not feel any different that might indicate a change, save for the blood craze from being a vampire, but that surely could not be what it was talking about.

"What does that mean for me exactly? Explain it in a way I can understand clearly."

"You are no longer constrained by the physical limits of this reality, but this will not become apparent or affect you until you can retain consciousness within a higher dimension. Currently, there exist two instances of your consciousness, one dormant and what you might refer to as the original. and a second, temporary one within your current body. It is best to think of it as you having the ability to exist in two locations at once, albeit one being in a higher dimension."

"Wait, are you telling me this is not my body? That I might be a clone?"

"This is your body, and your original one at that, merely modified. You are not a clone, and neither is the integrated consciousness. The physiology of your mind has been changed so that, for lack of a better comparison, allows you to control an entire body akin to a limb, but also lets you use the brain within that body to process information and think."

"So, what, are you saying I have two brains now?"

"Not exactly, but it can be likened."

"Is it reversible? Dangerous? Any side effects?"

"No. No. Minor and only temporary."

I let myself drop back down, creasing my brows and rubbing my temples. I felt like a headache was coming in as I tried to wrap my mind around it, but considering I felt nothing off, I was not too worried about it for the moment.

"So why am I a vampire?"

"Unknown."

I let out an involuntary groan at how far I seemed to be from not just the truth, but also to getting back home. I felt horrible thinking of how worried my family would be, if they are not already. My face would probably end up on all kinds of missing person posters and I became worried that if I take too long, they might think I am dead. I really do now want to put them through that, the worry of a loved one just vanishing in thin air.

I gotta unlock everything as soon as possible. But how?

On top of that, I still had to figure out how to survive as a vampire and make a living, hopefully in one go.

Butcher or mortician fit the bill, but neither is particularly appealing. Best to simply get rich and buy whatever I need.

I did not actually think I would have any realistic way of getting rich, but finding a job with a good income would be more beneficial than simply having a method of perhaps occasionally being able to sneak out some blood. I was not sure what viable qualifications I even had that I could use in this world, as I did not exactly have any proof.

Am I going to have to go to school again? Do they give out loans? I wonder if I could finish my chemical engineering degree here?

I amused myself with thoughts of going to a school for magic to lighten my mind and mood, but I quickly realized that fantasy could potentially be a reality here. It might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn real, actual magic, if I even could. Unfortunately, I could not really ask the three about it as they believe I already know magic, nor would I want to ask a stranger in case I come off as weird for not knowing.

Learning might open up new avenues for income if I could do it quickly, it could potentially keep me safe, and knowing how it works could only be useful. I was genuinely beginning to feel excited for the first time since waking up and decided that I would at least give it a shot if I am given the opportunity.

"Oh right, there was something else, wasn't there? Something about your storage? It's been quite useful and I'd rather not lose it."

"Yes. Scanning and reassembly within my interdimensional storage has been restored to full operational capacity."

"You said that before, but what does it mean?"

"I can analyze the structure of any object within my interdimensional storage, allowing me to present a UIAR as well as store it as a schematic for reassembly given I am provided the necessary resources."

"What is that UIAR? Also, you can print stuff?"

"The Unified Intergalactic Assessment Rating. It is used to represent the scale upon which an object or organism can potentially operate. The first value represents the scale, from subatomic and below, to multidimensional and extradimensional. The second value is the spectrum within a scale. For example, when something is acting on a planetary scale, it would represent whether the spectrum encompasses only the smallest of planets or all planets. The third value is used as a comparative measurement against either an average or past rating and is most commonly utilized in threat assessment. And yes, I can print stuff."

The explanation half flew over my head, but I was still glad to receive one for the weird rating system, even if it is mostly useless to me. I was confident I could recognize something which would affect a planetary scale even without it telling me, but even then I doubted I would be able to do anything about it.

How often would that even be relevant to me? More importantly, do I have a portable 3D printer now?

"So what exactly can you print?"

Rather than replying, this time I received a list which at first I thought was the storage but soon realized it not only contained items I had taken out but also displayed marks next to each, red on some and green with varying numbers on others. There was also a yellow question mark next to the wolf and hare corpses as well as the werewolf blood.

"Why are these different?" I asked while pointing at the three outliers.

"The biological lifeforms of this planet seem to possess an unknown variable which I am not equipped to scan or handle in a reassembly process. I am incapable of perfectly replicating them due to this and attempting anything other than manipulating would likely result in a loss of said variable."

"Like some sort of magic power source?"

"Potentially."

"Do I have any?"

"Yes, akin to the bipedal wolf. It increases when you consume blood, but only temporarily and seems to be able to enhance your physical capabilities akin to physical training."

Hearing this brought a new burst of excitement through me, making me sit bolt upright with a grin at the prospect of potentially being able to learn magic.

"So how do I charge you? Please tell me you can take food for fuel."

"A source of electricity would suffice, otherwise entering a sleep state would allow for the quickest recharge, but even on low power mode it is possible, albeit very slowly. You can take food for fuel. I cannot take food for fuel. "

18