Chapter 23: The Bearer of Bad News
405 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat in the cart with Tristan waiting for Lucie to return and open the gate while Larry trudged off back to the church. Only a brief moment passed since they departed before Tristan broke the silence.

"So? How did it go? Didn't get too spooked and chicken out, did you?" 

I felt like he was teasing me as I was sure he should have seen the two men brought in by Andre, but not wanting to antagonize him, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he had not. 

"We got two sailors who followed me from one of the taverns, but they claim they were trying to keep me safe. They didn't get close enough to even try anything before the others intervened, so it could be true it could not. They were both quite drunk, though, so I doubt either one is who we are looking for."

"Did Andre intervene as well?"

I was surprised at the question, as thinking back to it, he showed himself after the two sailors surrendered. 

"No. Not until it was over. How did you know?"

"They jumped in early because you can't protect yourself. If they waited, we would have known what those two were up to. Did Andre ask you anything?"

"No, not that I remember."

I saw Tristan crease his eyebrows in apparent confusion at my response and was about to say something just as light spilled out from the front door of the castle, originating from a lantern. It was held in the hand of a plump but cheery-looking older man sporting a neatly trimmed goatee and a receding gray hairline. 

"Oh, I should have brought my coat. I envy Larry at times like these."

"You didn't have to come outside. I just needed the key."

"If we have a new guest coming in, it is my job as a steward to greet them."

"You could greet her in the morning. We are all going straight to bed anyway. It's been a long day."

"I can see that, with how you look, but I also need to arrange sleeping quarters."

"Don't we have that spare room by the kitchen?"

"Yes, but I had to move one of the villagers there. Hello," the steward greeted me through the closed gate as he fumbled to insert the key. "You must be Valerie. My name is Casper, and I am the house steward. I will make sure to get you settled in for the night, and we can get to the pleasantries in the morning. Regardless, it is a pleasure to meet you."

"Thank you, and likewise. You don't need to go out of your way for anything, though." I said as I patted my bag, looking forward to finally getting some peace and quiet as well as a meal in. 

The gate creaked as it was pulled open, the sound piercing the stillness of the night. 

"Sorry about that. Need to get it oiled. Good against any intruders, though." He seemed to belatedly realize what he said as he quickly began reassuring me. "Not that we get any. You will be as safe as can be in here. Not a worry to be had."

After Casper had opened both of the gate doors, Lucie hopped back onto the cart and led it into the courtyard. It was rather spacious, occupied by a stable in the corner to the right, which was up against the outer city wall, with a stack of firewood sitting next to it. To the left was what looked to be a single-story stone hallway leading between the castle and the wall, with a large oaken double door right in the middle. The section of the wall that hallway led to was thicker right up to the gate, seemingly a guardhouse, as there was a single door near the gate. The castle itself was two stories high, with tall windows overlooking the courtyard. They were dark, so I could not tell what was inside.

Tristan hopped off the cart as it was still moving with practiced ease, carrying his belonging in his good hand, and I followed suit.

"I'll get Chestnut settled in, so don't wait for me. I'll see you all tomorrow." Lucie called out to us as she led the horse to the stable. 

I called out goodnight to her and followed behind Casper, Tristan having already disappeared inside. 

We climbed up the three half-circle steps to the door and stepped inside. We entered into a large hall occupying the entire two floors in height with massive chandeliers hanging down and running from left to right filled with long tables. On the right-hand side was a raised seating area overlooking the rest of the hall, with a massive fireplace situated right behind it, flanked by two doors. Tristan was heading in that direction, projecting light ahead of him straight from his forehead. 

"He is occupying one of the solars, which are upstairs. We are running a little low on sleeping accommodations, so I hope you can forgive me for only being able to provide a shared room, which used to belong to the cooks. Once the residents of Evergreen depart, I'll have more leeway to provide appropriate sleeping quarters."

Casper led the way to the opposite end of the hall from which Tristan went, heading to an open archway leading further into the castle. We entered into a rectangular atrium, with a glass dome covering the ceiling and balconies looking down from the second floor. A spiral staircase sat in one corner, leading up, and several doorways lay nestled in between arched pillars, providing one large alcove all around the rim of the first floor. 

This was my first time in a castle, and I was amazed at the grandness of the interior, but I did my best not to gawk. I would likely be able to explore the place on my own at some point, but I noted that I had to be careful during the day as there were windows aplenty. 

"This here is the kitchen," Casper said as he stopped in front of one of the doors leading out of the atrium. "There is a bedroom attached, in the back, where the old chef slept. It has a second bed which was for his wife. It has its own fireplace, courtesy of the old lord, as the chef was rather skilled. Now, I had to move one of the Evergreen residents there due to, well, her request. Said she had trouble sleeping and often found herself crying but did not want to disturb the others she was sleeping with in the old garrison and asked to sleep elsewhere. The poor girl lost her parents to the spirit, so I gave her the best room we had left. I hope it isn't too much trouble sharing with her for the night. I suspect they will want to set off as soon as day breaks when they find out it's safe to go back."

After the explanation, there was no way for me to decline even if I wanted to, but it was not like I would mind sharing a room, especially for one night, even if there might be crying involved. I could not be picky with my current situation anyway. My only apprehension, albeit brief, was the fact that it was another reminder of the events of Evergreen and the werewolf, and I honestly just wanted to leave them behind me. 

"Yeah, it's fine. I'm a heavy sleeper anyway."

Casper gave me a nod and smile before pushing the door open, revealing what could not be better described than a full-on medieval kitchen containing a large fireplace in the back and a handful of doors leading out. Casper led the way to one of the doors beyond which was a bare square room with a door on each wall. 

Casper pointed out each of the doors. The one to our left led outside to a back courtyard that connected to the garrison the other residents were occupying. The one to our right led downstairs to the servant quarters, and the door straight ahead was the former chef's bedroom. 

"If you need anything, turn left after you exit the kitchen and walk to the door straight ahead. That will lead you out of the atrium, after which knock on the second door to the left. That's where you can find me."

"Got it, thanks."

"If you are all set, then I wish you a good night." And with that, Casper retreated back into the kitchen, closing the door behind him. 

Hoisting my pack and Qubit at my side, I pushed open the door to reveal a bare stone room, much like the kitchen, with a fire smoldering in the fireplace in between the two beds. Sitting on the bed to the left, situated underneath the only window in the room, sat a girl with raven black hair and looking up at me. I would guess her to be in her late teens, but her swollen and tired, hazel eyes and her frizzled and unkempt hair made her look older. She had a thick blanket tightly wrapped around her as she sat upright, looking at me. 

"Did I wake you up? Sorry. Seems like we'll be roommates for the night if you don't mind." 

"No, it's fine." She shook her head quickly and let out a sniffle. "I was already awake. I'm just a guest here. Did Sir Casper send you here?"

"Sir Casper? He has a title?" I asked, curious as I walked over to what was to be my bed and dropped my backpack. "Yes, he showed me here."

"Oh, I did not mean anything by it. I'm just trying to be polite. He has been really nice since we arrived." 

I took out the blanket I had stuffed in the backpack but made sure to keep everything else in. I did not want it ever to appear empty so that I could always plausibly appear to be taking things out of it rather than thin air with Qubit. It gave me a fuzzy memory of trying to join a game some of my friends were playing, and although I never really got into it, I remember there being a magical bag with infinite space. 

Oh god, that was so long ago. I think it was sophomore year. Feels like another life. What was the game called again? Dragons and something? 

I paused for a moment in thought, and a sad little smile played upon my lips. 

"Are you alright?" A meek voice asked me from behind as if she was not even sure to ask. 

I dropped my bag at the foot of the bed and sat down facing the girl as I clutched the blanket in my hands. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just got reminded of something long ago. I'm Valerie, by the way. Also a guest."

"I'm May, daughter of..." her voice suddenly caught in her throat, and I saw her grip on her own blanket tighten. "daughter of Brynn and Holly." 

A pool of pity for the poor girl began welling up inside me as I watched her try and hold in her sobbing. 

"I heard from Casper what happened. I just arrived from Evergreen with," I paused only for a brief moment as I remembered what the three had called themselves. "the knights. We killed the spirit."

The shock and surprise were palpable on May's face. 

"My mom. Did you find my mom? Is she here? It took her away when we ran. Is she alright?"

Shock and horror filled me as the realization hit me. 

No. Fuck. No way. 

As much as I did not want to, thinking back, there was a resemblance between the woman I had abandoned and the girl sitting in front of me. Despite that, I had to make sure, and so I asked. 

"Was anyone else taken alive? Or was it just your mother?"

"Just my mom. Did you see my mom?" 

I could see she was desperate for an answer as she white knuckle gripped the blanket and leaned forward to the edge of the bed, looking like she was ready to bolt and look for her mom. 

Fuck. Why me.

8