Chapter 28: Bombshells
456 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before I could even get a word out Terry had already produced a measuring tape in the form of a length of marked rope. While I did not want to be indebted, especially without a way to pay it back, I ended up going with the flow and allowed Terry to take the needed measurements. 

Terry worked fast, for which I was grateful, as this was my first time having someone else take my measurements, making me feel slightly awkward during the process. Larry courteously kept his back turned during the process. As soon as Terry jotted down the results on a sheet of paper using ink and quill on the counter, I was asked for specific details, such as the kind of leather I wanted, but Larry quickly stepped in to negotiate for me. 

As Larry listed off some more things he needed and haggled for the final price, I browsed the store's collection away from the windows, feeling a little intimidated by all the weapons, especially when I came upon a morningstar. Just imagining that heavy, spiked metal ball caving in someone's skull made me feel grim. There was an overwhelming feeling of barbaric brutality coming from all of these weapons, as unlike with guns, for these, you had to get up and personal, often repeatedly bashing, slicing, and stabbing someone to death. 

Terry had mentioned explosives, so gunpowder has most likely been discovered. 

Actually, when I think about it, there is a word for gunpowder in the language spoken here, so it definitely exists. I really need to learn the name of this language, but I can't just ask: 'what language are we speaking right now?'. 

"A proposal," Qubit suddenly voiced, making me glance over at the other two in the room as I was still not used to being the only one that can hear it. "I can grab one of the more conspicuous items that you would be unable to conceal under regular circumstances, therefore obtaining valuable materials without incurring suspicion."

I looked around to see what could fall under the conspicuous category, but the largest items were armors. They looked valuable and definitely not something that would be overlooked. 

No. Even without proof, suspicion can be enough. I also don't want to hurt the store or sour its relation with Larry, especially when he recommended it. We also don't know if magic can do that as well or not because to me, that still looks to be more magic than anything. 

"I assure you, there is no magic involved. Unfortunately, I am unable to explain the precise workings, even with the highest authorization level. My design is highly classified." 

But you are saying you still know. That does not seem too safe.

"I am required to understand to be able to perform self-maintenance. Damage to my integral structure could produce an independent explosion of up to a class of 5C, with the recorded potential of 4B with the correct circumstances. This can be triggered purposefully and in a controlled manner should tampering or a breach in security be detected."

Remind me what those ratings mean again?

"A tier of five is on a planetary level, with the designation of C indicating the average size of a lunar object. To summarize it: a moon-sized explosion. A tier of 4B indicates that an entire solar system had been destroyed in the aforementioned record." 

I paused in shock and just stared at Qubit for a while, trying to comprehend the sheer implications. 

I used you to bash the werewolf, and you could have blown up the entire planet?!

I just barely stopped myself from blurting that out loud, and I started to feel nauseous. I had with me a device that made nuclear bombs pale in comparison. I could destroy the entire world. A wave of dizziness hit me at the sheer amount of responsibility I have suddenly been saddled with. A bomb that could destroy the entirety of civilization, all of the species living on this world, its history, its future, absolutely everything. 

"Found something?" Larry asked from behind me, making me jump. "Ya good?" 

"Yeah." I breathed, taking a moment to calm myself. "Yeah. I'm fine. Just a bit dizzy. I'll be fine."

I hope everything will be fine.

"I cannot deny that there was a minuscule possibility of me incurring damage from the assault of the werewolf, due to the unknown nature of mana and magic." Cubit admitted, "But as long as I perform regular maintenance, a focused force of tier 6A would be required for integral damage to occur." 

That did not ease my worry by much, as the tier felt too abstract, and magic was still an unknown. 

"Well, I finished what I needed to do. I'll be heading back to the castle now to grab money to pay for everything and set the contract to help find that spirit. Ya want to come with if you ain't feeling well?"

"Sure, just don't worry about it," I reassured him, trying to keep a measured expression. 

I thought I told you to tell me that kind of major stuff!

"It would have not been appropriate at the time, as I predicted the shock would have caused a scene due to your previous reaction."

I let out an involuntary sigh, while inwardly a worry brewed of what else might be hiding in that small package of destruction. 

It was not long till we were on our way, and I had a leather belt on from which the dagger now hung sheathed. The entire time since the bombshell, I could not help casting glances at Qubit with worry every so often as it floated just above everyone's heads while we were in the streets. 

"Thank you, Larry, for all this," I said with sincerity, trying to strike up a conversation to take my mind off of Qubit. "But I have to ask why you got me a cuirass." 

"Don't worry about it." He shrugged it off. "It ain't my money anyway. It's from the funds given to us by Felix to keep the people safe. This is to keep ya safe, or as safe as possible."

"Where is he now anyway? I keep hearing his name, and it's got me curious."

"Dunno. Somewhere in north Oscela. Probably in Ibario."

"Ibario?" I probed. 

"The capital." He clarified. "He went to recruit for our team, and that's the test place to find people without leaving the nation."

"Yeah, I heard from Casper. How many people do you need?"

"Well," he scratched his head as he hesitated slightly. "Two teams of four would be ideal, along with an ascended for emergencies."

"Are you trying to recruit me?" I asked bluntly, hoping he would be honest. 

"Well, can't say it wouldn't be great to have ya."

"Even though I can't really fight? And have trouble with the sun?"

"Ya can learn, especially with Andre's help. Not much would be able to stand up to ya here if ya did, human or spirit. As for the sun, we could just work at night and have Tristan be useful."

I followed him in silence as I thought about it. 

 If only I knew if I really am a spirit or an ascended and what exactly they meant. Maybe they could accept what I am if I came out about it. Could I plead my case to Andre? 

"I know ya need to get home and that this job can be dangerous," He continued. "But if ya change your mind, even for a short time, it would ease our burdens and help the people living here."

"I'm not exactly altruistic," I admitted. 

"The pay is good. We are, officially, knights of a baron after all." 

"I'll need some time to decide."

We continued the rest of the way in silence, although the journey was not long. Upon entering the hall, we were met by an awful stench and found Lucie sitting sprawled out on the table. She raised her head and glanced up at us briefly with her one good eye before dropping back down. A pool of puke with blood mixed in was dripping from where she lay. 

"Oh, shit, what happened?!" Larry exclaimed, rushing to her as I closed the door behind us. "Are ya alright?"

"No." She replied, her voice weak and strained. "Feel horrible. This place is too big. Couldn't find Casper, so I came here. Can you get me water?"

"Wait, ya can't conjure?" He asked, sounding panicked as he reached her side, looking like he wanted to do something but not knowing what. 

"No. My head is killing me. Feels like I haven't slept in days. Water. Please."

"Oh no." I could see the color visibly drained from Larry's face. "Not again. Please not again!"

"Again?" Lucie croaked, turning her head to face him. 

"My family. They were like this before they..." He could not finish his sentence, but I could easily guess the implication, especially as Lucie seemed to freeze up.

 "I'll get her water," I said, wanting to do something but also not wanting to get close in case it was contagious. 

I rushed to the kitchen, finding May still there occupied with cooking, along with two other women that joined her. They were somewhat startled by my abrupt entrance and demand for water, but I was quickly handed a mug filled from a barrel. 

When I returned to the hall, Larry was sitting next to Lucie with his head in his hands, looking more despaired than her. 

"I'll be fine." She told him. "It won't be the same. I'm closer to being ascended than not. I'll recover. Maybe it's not even the same, just similar."

"It was sudden, early in the morning, when they all started puking blood, feeling dizzy, having headaches, and shitting themselves." He paused for a brief moment, raising his head to look at Lucie. "They also started losing hair. It would fall off in clumps. If yours does..."

Hair loss? I only know one thing that causes that, but how would that even happen. This is a new world, so it's probably a disease new to me. Not that I even knew them all back home, though.

As I approached to hand the water to Lucie, she lifted herself off the table and reached into her hair, tugging at it only for it to come loose. Both she and Larry stared at the clump in her hand, speechless. A heavy silence descended over the room, with Lucie eventually accepting the water and gulping it down. 

"Ya need to rest." Larry finally broke the silence. "I'll carry ya back to bed and then go find Nick."

He lowered himself so she could climb onto his back, which she did wordless as worry seemed to overtake her. As he stood up and carried her, I followed silently behind in case they needed something. I felt a warmth start to emanate, most likely Larry's doing as he had done before. 


WARNING

High readings of radiation detected. You are being exposed to dangerous doses of radiation. 


At the same time as the message appeared, Qubit's voice came in, reading it in a loud tone. 

What the-

"What the fuck! Larry!" I shouted in both shock and surprise from the sudden warning. "Stop doing that right now!"

7