Chapter 4: General Situation Between Orwan and Ridgar
61 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wright was starting to get mentally tired. His body could sustain due to the nutrition fluid he consumed but mental fatigue was not something to joke about.

 

The reason for that because currently, Wright had stepped on the next simulation stage where he used a single engine, small sized jet as his aircraft while he had arrived at the stage where he had to turn the situation around.

 

Meaning, another aircraft was right behind him. It was precisely at his six o’clock, same altitude just a few hundred meters distances between them. But for a fight in this kind of vehicle, the distance was short enough to use gunfire.

 

‘What should I do!?’ numerous failure and the prompt that his aircraft had been shot down slowly tore his spirit and accumulate mental fatigue.

 

It was hard for Wright to dodge and the feeling of the force he felt at high speed inside the simulation was more realistic it made him hard to turn at high speed or take an extreme high-G turn. Wright wanted to make sure that his move would make him able to reverse the position where he was the one at his opponent’s tail.

 

‘Even though from the appearance I and the opponent used the same type of aircraft, it is clear that the opponent can truly utilize the aircraft potential more than I do.’ Wright knew this point clearly since he had restarted the simulation over thirty times.

 

He could not even jinx from the pursuer, his warning and alert signal kept ringing as missile came followed by gunfire every time he restarted the simulation made his will to waver.

 

‘Damn it all!’ he did what he had not done before as he lowered the speed and even used the airbrake, making the plane’s speed reduced at an astonishing rate. And then, Wright finally pulled it off albeit barely.

 

The enemy plane was just slightly in front of him and it realized the error but Wright took it as an opportunity. He finally tightened his hand on his flight stick as he made the nose of the aircraft pointed directly at his enemy.

 

The enemy aircraft broke the current situation directly by turning hard to the right. Seeing this made Wright follow suit albeit in a totally opposite direction. With this happening, when both of them decided to make a turn it would be an opportunity for Wright to make a shot at it.

 

After all, what he had done was a Flat Scissor and his aircraft was slightly behind the bogey. The intention to do this maneuver was obvious, to get his firing position at the perfect time and position.

 

“A chance.” As it turned out, the speed, the altitude as well as the small mistake made it possible for Wright to do this maneuver. Even better, they were at close distance and Wright could even see his HUD showed that he was in gun range.

 

Wright found the button for firing his gun and did it when he saw the opposition aircraft. Gunfire could be heard as some of it hit to the body of his bogey. Smoke came out and then the wing broke as the aircraft lose altitude.

 

“Is that all? Strange, I thought it will be harder. Judging from the situation, it seems that the reaction the bogey take for changing the situation is insufficient. Well, guess that shoot has been taken from my lucky star.”

 

That was the last bit of strength Wright could do after failed dozens of time. He was so tired that he unconsciously closed his eyes and his vision turned dark as quickly as his body went limp inside the module.

 

-

 

“Sir Callahan, he seemed to be worn out after all of that. Are you sure this is a good subject?” there was an old man wearing a set of military unit asking Callahan about Wright.

 

“Absolutely. Look at that flight time, how many times did he repeat just a single task? Need to note that the difficulty the module gives is several times higher than the usual module for trainee. He even spend at least three more Nutrition Fluid. Well, the result is good for this time and better since he repeat some stage a few times.” Callahan looked at the module and the latest data from Wright’s module in delight, his expression was totally the one who wanted to process the data for further research.

 

“And you better sleep if fatigue started to kick,” Callahan added which the entire staff looked at him in return as if they were relaying this thought, The one who should say that is us.

 

Callahan’s eyes had turned red and droopy but it felt strange that his face was bright as the sun, creating a little creepy image. Fortunately, the staff that managed the Simulation Room had already used to his schedule and some of his habits.

 

Some of the staff had to pick Wright, slowly opening the module and clean the entire module before inspecting it for any damage and malfunctions after the operation. This was also one of the procedure after each usage especially since there was someone from Longen Multinational Corporation.

 

“Now, I want to input these data’s to the place it can be useful for.” Callahan pulled a small thin memory chip from the Simulation room’s Control Centre computer. For him, this data was as precious as a rich black gold at the middle of the ocean.

 

“Bring him to the infirmary. His treatment should be the best one since he helped me quite a bit.” After Callahan glanced his eyes to Wright and looked at that exhausted face, he told the people that carried Wright.

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

Wright then was placed on the special treatment unit in the infirmary. Although it was a simple infirmary the devices in it were helpful even to someone with a light disease. And the admitted nurse then was told by the Simulation Room’s staff about Wright’s condition and the cause.

 

They did not say about the special module and whatsoever. They only knew to especially pay attention to this new recruit that Callahan had appointed.

 

Wright had done the simulation so much he started to dream about it. He flew with one bogey in the front while the other at his six. Chased and being chased as it was, Wright felt he moved his plane in the most efficient manner possible while pressing the button to fire the gun and missile at the same time.

 

One downed, Wright felt that he moved the plane so that he could shake off his pursuer. In that dream, he did it as easy as taking a breath as the opponent failed to hit the missile it launched to Wright. That missile was actually Wright’s greatest obstacle at the last try.

 

The missile ability to move and track its target astonished Wright despite he had read about it. Heat-seeker missile was not easy to deal with and that proved to be a challenge for Wright to evade one at his current capability but in the dream, he was able!

 

Not only Wright shook it off but then Wright rushed to the cloud above, intending to lose from his enemy’s sight and successfully done it. Ambushing it with the cloud as a cover, Wright had downed another aircraft.

 

“Missile Alert!” the computer system inside the cockpit gave a warning to Wright. When he looked outside, his heart felt like stop its beat for a second. Dozens of missile was fired at his position, he was the target!

 

He could see from the front countless missiles came like a comet with white tail forming from its back. But that was only the front as the missile came from above and below too. Worse, he turned his back only to see the same scene at his front.

 

The missile alert did not stop, instead, it amplified as the voice grew louder as well. For Wright, that sound was the sound of terror and nightmare!

 

It drew closer and closer as the alert intensity grew. Wright tried to move his plane but the missiles still locked on to him, persistently pursuing his tail. He dodged the missiles from his front, side, above and below but the missiles behind him were chasing him still.

 

And then Wright felt a jolt right at his back as the force pushed him forward from his seat, and he could see that his back now covered in the fire before he screamed and then the scene changed.

 

“Huh!” Wright opened his eyes wide. He was terrified by the dream he just saw. His breath was still in disorder as he reorganized it again. He panted but sobered faster. Cold sweat covered his body.

 

He found himself lied on the comfortable bed, with the scent of medicine scattered inside his room and managed to get to his nose.

 

“Where am I? I remember finished the first stage of the simulation. And then I am too tired to even move my hands…” Wright refocused his gaze, finally saw the white and clear ceiling. The room had little lighting but Wright could see the color of the room he resided in.

 

He lifted his body and somehow the refreshed feeling washed his entire body. His clothes had been changed and he turned around to determine where he was now.

 

“Good, I should be in the infirmary. But I worried about these kinds of device.” Wright slightly changed his view, below his bed was actually a small box and some wires could be seen connected to the bed.

 

Other than that, he noticed the room itself was truly comfortable. Wright felt like he was treated like some rich people do. He knew some of the devices he had seen were expensive and not available in the simple infirmary.

 

The door opened and someone entered the room. Wright was surprised to see the person that visited him turned out to be someone he knew. It was the same person as the one who helped him when he was in a long queue.

 

“It’s you who treat me?” Wright asked.

“Of course. Seeing you overworked yourself and Simulation Room staff came announcing your cause of exhaustion, I feel like something has to be done. And for this night, please just rest your body.” He replied.

 

“The…hell…so the clock that showed two o’clock near the desk beside the bed is showing me past midnight time.” Wright did not expect that the clock he saw beside him atop the desk was showing the time at night. The clock did not have any signs to show the time was the night.

 

“Sorry, that clock over there is the oldest in this room. A classic clock that showed twelve hours. I have to remind you that you should take your G-force training too.” That man smiled at Wright before he came out of the room and closed the door gently.

 

“So tired…” Wright laid down again. But he thought that his body was somehow full of energy even though all his body was rather hard to move.

 

He fell asleep and darkness greeted his mind.

 

-

 

Orwan Empire Capital City, Clayton. The capital was the place where the current emperor resided in. It was located southeast from Pasteur City. The night was long but the emperor had to wake from his slumber at this time of day.

 

“Your Majesty, someone is calling you on the restricted channel.” At this time Emperor Fritzgerald X heard the voice.

 

“What’s the matter?” the middle-aged emperor that still wore his bed clothes raised his body from the bed and stood up. His eyes blinked in successive to clear his blurred vision.

 

“Minister of Defense wanted to discuss something with you.” The emperor saw a young man with his attire completely ready for work. The emperor sighed and took his formal clothes from the wardrobe which revealed a lot of fine and elegant clothes.

 

“Royalty Clothes inherited from the founder of Orwan Empire and preserved well. Guess I should wear one these days.” The emperor saw yellow and red colored clothes that made his interest piqued before he gave a reply to the man.

 

“Tell the minister to meet in the designated place, Orland. I will dress up a bit. While at it, try not to make much noise to wake up my daughter okay.” Emperor Fritzgerald told Orland with his finger in front of his lips.

 

“That is, of course, your majesty. If there is nothing you request for, then I’ll go deal with the matter as soon as possible.” Orland saluted the emperor before leaving quietly, afraid to wake someone up.

 

“Why did they attack this empire of all places?” the emperor wondered the reason himself though.

 

Fifteen minutes later, both the emperor and Orland arrived at the meeting places in the downtown of Clayton. Although the skies were still dark the lights on the street and buildings that reached the clouds made the night bright and colorful.

 

“His Majesty is here.” Announcement from the speaker echoed as people stopped their activity for a moment. They instantly saluted from where they were.

 

And then someone with a wide and strong stature stepped forward, greeted the emperor. This man wore with him a formal suit, a face that showed the hardened-resolve plastered on his face.

 

“Your Majesty, this place is not suitable to talk things. Please follow me.” This man was Orwan Empire Minister of Defense, Zaifex. He showed the emperor the way as the personal unit he brought along with him gave way while securing the position around them.

 

Each important figures had their own personal unit but Emperor Fritzgerald X only had a few men as his personal unit. As of now, they were following him tightly from all four sides. Everyone could see those four were always near the emperor wherever he went.

 

Some snipers were positioned around the place, each vantage point available was stationed by them. This meeting was classified and even only the emperor and the minister knew about this.

 

“So where are we going to discuss? The usual?” the emperor asked casually which Zaifex did not reply immediately. Instead, Zaifex asked Orland about one thing.

 

“About you Orland, how can you become His Majesty Aide? Not telling?” seeing no reply, he spoke about where they were going to.

 

“Your Majesty, we bring you to the historical tunnel which existed since the medieval era long ago in the past. That is also the place for today’s discussion as the place is the best place in terms of safety.”

 

Only after five minutes they entered a large and accommodating room along with tight security along the way. One by one, the emperor, Orland, Zaifex and all of the personal unit had entered the room. Then some lights were turned on, illuminating the room that already reserved for the two of important figures.

 

The emperor realized the chair was soft and comfortable as he placed his back and sat down. He breathed out as the matter Zaifex wanted to tell him seemed important.

 

“Alright, let’s get to the point immediately. We don’t have much time to spare.” Zaifex opened his mouth before he pressed the button among the remote control he grabbed.

 

A picture appeared at one side of the room. The picture was projected from the light above the door they entered and landed on the other side. The light gave birth to the picture of a geographical location of their empire as well as their neighboring countries.

 

The empire and its neighboring countries were actually in the same continent but the middle of the continent sank lower than the sea level, causing the water body to fill the emptiness. Orwan Empire located on the lower part of the continent, if the continent was whole, Orwan was located at the southeast.

 

The water body that separated the two parts of the continent was not at all large, there was also a narrow place between the separated land and then the world recognized it as Birkin Strait. To the right from the continent was a large ocean named Heighar. It was Heighar Ocean one of the biggest ocean in the world.

 

While Orwan was located in the southeast part of the continent, their enemy was in the northwest part. The border between the two was precisely at the Birkin Strait where the first encounter with the unknown aircraft occurred.

 

“At 0000 hour, large activity detected near the other end of Birkin Strait. Well, it is estimated from our reconnaissance satellite that some of the forces from neighboring country relocate their base there. The problem is there is sighting of armored units, artillery, as well as an airbase. High chance that they intended to make a forward base to enter our territory. Your Majesty, the problem is we already agree to a peaceful negotiation at Leisth City and moving to destroy the base they build I’m afraid will not reflect good on your policy.” Zaifex explained the current circumstances.

 

“Your Majesty, I’m afraid they intentionally stall for time to prepare something. Sorry if I’m being rude but I think this time our neighbor country Ridgar is fully prepared for this. The peaceful negotiation is just a means to give them time and give us a hope for a truce. If that is truly the case…” Zaifex’s words was cut by the emperor.

 

“It’s normal for you to think about that possibility but the possibility of them to accept the truce still exist am I right? Furthermore, I also want to discern the situation within our neighbor, what happened to them exactly by facing them eye to eye. And we also need time for our Temporary Militia Unit to be ready so your possibility is the worst case scenario.” The emperor looked into the geographical map on the wall and said calmly.

 

“And I will try my best to avoid war. Because in war, it is the ground for killing with only the unarmed forces and the environment are the restriction.” Though the emperor said this, he knew the majority of people would only see war as an opportunity, a chance for them to step forward toward their dream.

 

In war, they basically did anything their desire wanted them to. No need to mention it, many history books had already written it. Pillaging the town, burning the structures, doing whatever they pleased.

 

“That’s what I want to say, Your Majesty. For them, the ends justify the means and it is different from our principles where even the process of doing something matters the same as the result. I can only say that this matter will not be small in the eyes of those superpowers.” Zaifex worried did not place on the current conflict but rather the one who fanned it.

 

For example, similar in our world where the superpower countries fight both in the light and in the dark. In the light, they faced each other with their own military strength but when it came to the conflict in the dark, they used their influence in the nation with recent conflict to fight. It was the same with the Orwan and Ridgar, they almost entered conflict at this stage and surely at a short time both the superpowers and corporations would jump at this opportunity.

 

“That worry is already inevitable and not change anything. Right, I also heard that Mister Callahan from Longen Multinational Corporation seeks an approvement of additional time for his newly built Virtual Reality Module. Do you already ask him to get some of that for our Aces?” the emperor asked in interest.

 

Zaifex revealed a hesitant look, he scratched his head and finally opened his mouth albeit in a disappointed manner, “I am sorry for not achieve your expectation this time. Apparently, Mister Callahan disapprove of our proposal this time. The reason being is that the new module is for the ‘nuggets’ and not for the experienced pilot.”

 

“I see. Then the result of his module can only be seen from our Temporary Militia Unit am I right? Just hope that their air forces are good enough to get us to pass this predicament.”

 

-

 

“Are you serious? That is what he consumed daily…that’s insane and unhealthy. Why did he do that!?”

 

Because of what Wright had done in the past was slowly to be revealed by John, even the one who had watched over him wrinkled his brows. And the guest this time was two people, a young man, and a young woman.

 

“Mister Wright is still a young man who are looking for a stable job, you see. Unfortunately, he doesn’t get that yet and even it becomes hard for him to sustain his necessity and to even pay off some of his tax. Forget about the allowance, he even donated most of it to the orphanage.” John wryly laughed, he found it strange but a bit understandable if it was Wright.

 

“I see. That concludes my little interest in him though. Looks like he still has to undergone the harsh penalty training despite all of that. If you want to visit again, make sure to mention my name again okay.” The man was the one who met Wright in his room.

 

“Alright then Mister August, John is relieved to hear that Wright is mostly fine and get something from his misfortune. Now, shouldn’t we head back home? We have matters to attend alright.” It was the young woman who spoke.

 

“No, no. It is my pleasure to greet and answer your need especially when you need it the most.” August replied with a smile.

 

“Sorry for bothering you. Let’s go back.”

“But isn’t this a little inappropriate for us not to say something before leaving, Tanasha?”

 

At John’s little question, Tanasha only pursed her lips but still moved away without saying anything else. John knew something that he did not know about Tanasha at this day. He only said his concern for Wright but then Tanasha also wanted to come along. And John thought they would be using the standard procedure but who would have thought that they came straight to the place and August came to them.

 

“Sadly, his physical condition is still in fatigued status. Even with all three of the best nutrition fluid provided, his body will still experience the limitation of human being. Why did he do all of that in the past, eating from thrash, giving all of the empire’s allowance away to the orphanage while he barely sustain himself?” Tanasha muttered but she did not know the reason.

 

“In my eyes, what he had done is a sign of foolishness. He only took a little from the allowance to pay for the electricity tax and the rest of it was given to the orphanage. Speaking of the orphanage, it is also the one he lived before he went out on his own.”

 

When both of them went outside, the dawn was coming and the first few rays of light appeared on the dark, blue sky. John only felt that someone like Tanasha was not as simple as he judge but at the same time, he felt fortunate to meet and know her.

 

“I just wonder, why did you do all of this?” John did not know the exact reason why Tanasha had done all of that to help him so in curiosity he tried to ask.

 

“John, you only need to know one thing. Isn’t Wright a bit different than most people?” Tanasha turned and looked at John with her calm eyes. John understood the reason even though he felt that was not all the reason Tanasha did this.

 

“Sometimes, conducting the morals and kindness look foolish. I won’t deny that statement and I can see a glimpse of that in Mister Wright.” John smiled as he remembered how Wright usually greeted him even though his condition was rather depressing.

 

“Hmm. Be sure to do what you believe.” Tanasha gave a slight smile when John mentioned Wright in such manner. But she also felt that the world this time was not as nice as in the past as she felt the cold wind in the morning swept past her skin.

 

Of course, she knew that John probably tried to help Wright even though it would only make it hard for himself. But she did not try to stop him, she only hoped that this condition lasted as long as possible.

1