Chapter 16 The Past
43 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the rainfall, Lily and Stardust got dried to put their clothes back on. The wet clothes will help cool their bodies as it was still very hot outside. But before they could walk back.

Lily asked, “ is it alright for me to ask you about your past?”

Stardust closed his eyes and thought for a few minutes in silence. It has been some time since he told everyone about being in the same shoes as Violet. He thought that everyone would give up on asking about his past but if his wife wanted to know about it...

“ I do want to put it behind me and live out my current life as it is…”

“ Please tell me... I want to know everything about you...”

Stardust nodded and smiled at her. “ I will only tell you then, please don’t ever tell anyone else.”

“ Of course my husband! I have 100% loyalty! Even if I were to suffer the cruelest of torture, I will never leak out your secrets!”

“ It’s a long story…”

“ Please take as long as you need!”

“ Alright then…” Stardust sat beside Lily as she leaned tightly against him.

“ My true age is 125 years old. I only became the NPC-maker about 2 months ago. I and all my NPCs are immortal and will stay young. I wanted to tell everyone about it later on but I can tell you in advance. Although it’s possible you and the others knew of it. Let’s start from the beginning.”

“ I grew up in an orphanage at a poor church so I never knew my parents. When I was 5 years old, I was a monstrously talented mage. I had mastered all elemental magic to the advanced level. Because of my terrifying talent, I was instantly recruited into the Arcturus Royal Academy. From there, I had completely mastered all elemental magic to the highest level when I was 8 years old. And soon all other special types of magic were mastered when I was 13 years old. If I encountered any new magic, I could easily master it by seeing it once. My magical might at the time was immensely powerful and it was enough to already call me the #1 mage in the entire empire when I was 13 years old. Then I directly joined the Arcturus crown prince’s personal forces. At the same time, calamity had struck upon the Arcturus Empire. Many powerful monsters had invaded us, and it was personally thanks to me obliterating all of the enemies that our nation suffered very few casualties. There were even a few immensely powerful monsters that nobody else could beat other than me. I was given the highest and greatest honor and became an honorary Arturus prince. Money, power, and wealth were all given to me. Everyone praised me as the savior of the Arcturus empire and with me around, nobody would dare invade us.”

“ To make full use of my capabilities. The Arcturus empire sent me to war with the long-hated enemy, the Canopus Empire. They had always attacked the Arcturus empire so as the honorary prince of my nation. I naturally should use my immense magical might to destroy them. It only took me one day to annihilate their entire army and the royal family. My magical explosion could annihilate huge expanses of land in an instant. Nobody was strong enough to stop me. I alone was enough to end their 2000 years of strife between the Canopus empire and the Arcturus Empire. Afterward, we annexed their entire territories under our banner. At the same time, all the other nations feared us so they all teamed up and declared war against the Arcturus Empire. Back then I was very loyal and obedient towards the Arcturus Empire so naturally, I had no qualms about annihilating the rest of the hostile nations on the Rigel Continent. It took a few long months but we were able to successfully subjugate the entire continent into the control of the Arcturus Empire. There were tens of millions of casualties on both sides. Even my Arcturus Empire lost nearly 40% of its population during the ultimate war in conquering the continent. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to be everywhere at once despite being extremely powerful.”

“ 13 years old, and my fame grew through the heavens. The emperor and everyone around me praised me endlessly for my immense contributions. Although all the other nations hated us ruling over them, it was the most peaceful and prosperous time in the entire Rigel continent. Because there wasn’t any conflict anymore, trade flourished and the economy of the entire Arcturus empire experience a great ascension. New culture, foods, entertainment, industries were popping up everywhere. The people became freer and were able to safely travel to the far reaches of the continent. It was truly the greatest time to be alive. A world without suffering. As years pass by, all the former hostile nations gradually became much more integrated with the Arcturus empire. Everyone in the entire empire soon saw me as the savior of humanity to unleash the greatest peace and prosperity in this war-torn continent.”

“ As you can imagine, my life was extremely extravagant. Being able to eat the most luxurious food, having the most luxurious mansions, and many servants to serve me. I had endless attention from all the beauties on the continent but I simply disregarded them. It wasn’t until I was 17 years old that I became interested in a girl. She was working at a small cafe and I remembered her from the orphanage before I left at 5 years old. I wonder if the reason I liked her was when she gave me her only doll when I left the orphanage. It was a doll that she cherished all her life and never let any of the other kids play with it. The doll was very crudely made and kept falling apart but I always kept it. She is 3 years older than me. We quickly became fast friends and then lovers a few months later. She wasn’t the most beautiful girl but I knew I just had to be with her.”

“ By the time I became 25 years old, we already had two children together age 1 and 3. We live in a big house with only one servant. She didn’t want to live extravagantly and was a pretty humble person. We also lived pretty far away from any cities or town as I was extremely famous. So we wouldn’t get endless people admiring my greatness. I also used a barrier to keep all intruders out. My life was perfect with her and my two children. If any super strong monsters appear, I could easily teleport to its location and kill it. So I became the guardian of the Arcturus empire, protecting everyone within it.”

“ One day the Arcturus emperor invited me and my family to attend the wedding banquet of the crown prince and another former princess. We ate delicious foods, danced together, and watched the two newlywed people get married. The wedding was very grandiose as the entire capital city was celebrating it. It wasn’t like the small marriage at the orphanage that I and my wife did. My children were also given extremely prestigious treatment by everyone. After partying like crazy, I got really drunk and slept together with my wife in one of the guest bedrooms.”

“ When I woke up, it was the greatest betrayal I had ever experienced. My loving wife was staring at me with a murderous glare. Normally, nobody was able to attack me while I slept because of my barrier. I had fully trusted my wife so I never kept my guard up against her. The magical shackles were sealing up my entire magical power. Normally, these magical shackles don’t work against me as I could always use at least 10% of my power to break free from this but I couldn’t. Numerous top-level mages were also in the room using the highest level of sealing magic to prevent me from using any magic. Soon I realized that thousands of mages were outside concentrating their magic power together to seal my magical power. Then they started draining out all of my magical power making me weaker until I lost all my magical power and falling unconscious.

“ They threw me in the worst prison cell possible. I was seething in anger at this greatest betrayal. How could they treat the person who conquered the continent for the Arcturus empire like this! And who saved millions of people from strong monster attacks!”

“ The next day, my wife came to see me with our two children ages 1 and 3. She used a sword and decapitated both of them right before my very eyes. No matter how hard I struggled and yelled, I coudln’t use any magic to save them. It was the hardest time I had ever cried. My wife only laughed in great joy at my deep sadness and told me “ this is for the sake of the entire world. If you were kept alive, you could destroy and end humanity! How could we let someone with this monstrous power live? You could become evil at any time. Ever since you laid your eyes on me, I knew I had to do it. This will be my life’s greatest achievement! The rest of the world will know of your endless sins that we plotted against you. Everyone had praised you so far but now we will make them all hate you!””

“ During the next 10 years of my confinement. I never saw the light of day and I was kept starving while suffering in the filth of my bodily fluids. My former wife would come by every once in a while. She would tell me news of the terrible atrocities that I had committed all over the continent. From killing millions of people to kidnapping high-profile targets and many more unspeakable horrors that involve women and children. Details you don’t want to hear about. All of my previous achievements were erased from history but instead were filled with terrible lies and slanders against me. I’m sure everyone in the continent hated my guts. I couldn’t understand why they would keep me alive and let me hear about all these fake crimes against me.”

“ I thought for a long time and realized that they were using me as a convenient scapegoat. There were probably seeds of rebellion everywhere in the continent and by pinning all the crimes onto me. All the people on the continent probably united together under their hatred against me. They had killed millions of innocent people and dissenters along with them, obfuscating the truth by blaming me. The Artuturus empire had killed two birds and one stone by doing this. Getting rid of me and getting rid of all possible dissenters.”

“ I never saw my former wife ever again. And for the next 90 years, I was left to rot in this prison. Forgotten by everyone and erased from history. All of my achievements were probably filled with propaganda of how the Acturus empire united the continent. Everyone who knew the truth would grow old and die. All written records were probably burned away and it was probably a crime to say any praise of me. The newer and younger generation would certainly not know of me. The Actururs empire will rule in absolute power over the continent.”

“ During the 90 years imprisonment, I grew extremely resentful over humanity and cursed them all. After doing so much for them, this was how I was repaid. I swore to myself that if I were to ever escape this prison, I would end humanity myself! But it was tough and I lost my mind to insanity and became extremely delusional. I would often play around in my head with an imaginary world filled with imaginary people that would never betray me. The imaginary world with all my imaginary friends was the perfect world for me. To the guards watching me, I was in a motionless daze-like state for the rest of my life.”

“ The 100th year. An executioner had come to behead me. Many top-level people were watching over the entire process to make sure that nothing would go wrong. He unsheathed his sword and with one smooth slash, I was decapitated. My head was sent flying off with blood spurting out of my headless corpse and my head. Since my head wasn’t attached to my body which had the magical shackles sealing my magic. I could use the faint magic remaining in my head. I cast a gigantic magical explosion destroying the entire prison and everyone in it. At the same time, I used my spatial magic to teleport my head as far away as possible. I had no idea where I was going.”

“ Then to make my dreams become reality, I gave up my immense magical might to become reborn again as the NPC-maker. I gained an entirely new body that was much different and NPC-making skills. But I was no longer able to become strong or use magic ever again. Only my NPCs can train to become stronger and perhaps use magic. It was quite unfortunate that I landed in a desert in the middle of nowhere, it was the worst starting location to begin my NPC empire.”

“ Now I am here, together with my NPCs. This is the story of my past that I wished to bury. I no longer feel any desire to end humanity but wish to live in peace and prosperity with all my NPCs. All of you are my pride and joy, I would never abandon any one of you. Even the evil NPCs deserve a chance to live and prosper.”

Lily was pouring her heart out as she listened to his story while burying her face in his chest. “ Stardust my husband! I will never betray you and will love you with all my heart and soul!”

“ ...thanks, it’s funny I originally wanted a harem life with willing women but I guess I just have to meet you first.”

“ All those women added together aren’t even worth 1% of my love!”

They shared a kiss as they will love each other for all of eternity.

“ Your personality and karma were randomized upon creation. Isn’t it strange, I believe that my NPCs have their own free will and are not an extension of my powers. But if I were to personally choose their personalities and appearances...well let’s leave that thought for future me when I can.”

“ That’s right! We all have our free will! Even if you did choose their personalities and appearances. They should be grateful that you even created them and should follow your will!”

“ Thanks Lily, but maybe I will leave it randomized.”

“ So your past is the reason why you want to keep all NPCs alive, instead of getting rid of the troublesome ones.”

“ Yeah, I’m sure we will be able to make compromises to have them feel loved and welcome by the party.”

The rain was long over, It was about time for Lily and Stardust to head back to the camp. Rainbow quickly ran away from her covers.

Earlier Rainbow wanted to come and bring them back to the camp. But when Stardust began telling his past to Lily, she wasn’t able to give them their privacy and listen on curiously. Rainbow wasn’t going to tell anyone else about it either.

( Rainbow) << I’m sorry for eavesdropping on you master Stardust, please forgive me. Your past...How could you suffer such a tragedy!? I Rainbow will be forever loyal to you and will make sure you will never experience great sadness ever again! We will bring great prosperity to the lives of all your precious NPCs!>>

Rainbow’s Loyalty 99% → 100%

( Lily) << So that’s what happened to my husband. All of his suffering and pain must be repaid one hundred times over! I will do what my husband failed to do and end humanity! All of his NPCs will be needed to help me eradicate all of those treacherous leeches! They are truly irredeemable, living in the great prosperity that he gave them.>>

==========

When they got back to camp, Stardust gathered everyone and told them that all NPCs and himself are immortal and will stay young. They weren’t too surprised as they thought of themselves as something much more special than humans. It was accepted quite happily by everyone.

Violet asked, “ but that is not all right? You and Lily were gone for a long time and even Rainbow was spying on you two.”

“ I’m sorry master Stardust!” apologized Rainbow. “ I didn’t mean to eavesdrop on your secret but I just had to know! I won’t ever tell anyone else about it!”

Lily’s eyebrow twitched in annoyance at that moment.

“ Don’t worry about it Rainbow. I don’t mind, I just want to bury my past and focus on the present with all my precious NPCs.”

“ Then if you don’t mind, can you tell us?” added Violet. “ I’m curious about your past. I bet everyone else wants to know too.”

Everyone looked at Stardust with pleading eyes.

Lily declared, “ everyone there is no need for you to know about Stardust’s past. Only his wife needs to know. Please continue giving your best for my husband.”

“ The more NPCs that know about it, the likelier the secret past will get leaked to outsiders. It will only bring devastation to all of us,” said Rainbow. “ No matter what happens to me or Lily, we will never leak out this secret!”

If the secret were to be leaked out, the Arcturus Empire will send their elite army to eradicate Stardust and his NPCs. They all believed that he was dead though.

Everyone looked at each other and realized the danger. The two evil NPCs Scarlett and Monica couldn’t be trusted. But the neutral and good NPCs who were more loyal to Stardust...

So Marla, Luna, Remi, Queen, and Violet all wanted to know as they thought of themselves as extremely loyal to Stardust.

But Stardust declined to answer, “ I’m sorry. I won’t tell anyone else about it anymore. Lily and Rainbow are the only two that can be entrusted with my secret past.”

Lily coughed,” ahem you mean ‘wife’.”

“ Yes, my wife.”

The neutral and good NPCs were dejected but accepted his decision with a good conscience. If only Lily knew of his secret past, they would probably try to force the truth out of him. Since Lily was untrustworthy and still a very evil NPC with twisted morals. They didn’t want Lily abusing his secret to her advantage. But since Rainbow knew of it and she was the most saint-like person in the party, they could trust her telling them that it’s better for them to not know.

Scarlet grinned, “ awww that’s no fun. Isn’t there any way for us to know about your secret past?”

The NPCs glared at Scarlett as they knew she would use his secret past to bring devastation to the party.

“ How about I put you in an early grave Scarlett?” threatened Monica.

It was odd how Monica is extremely hostile to Scarlett. They thought it was because of Lily commanding her but it wasn’t. Without Lily commanding her, Monica watched over Scarlett like a hawk. Monica was extremely helpful and kind to the party and value their survival and power above all else. It sincerely made everyone believed that she couldn’t be an evil NPC and had to be good.

Scarlett pretended to scream, “ Rainbow please help me. Monica wants to kill me!”

Rainbow rushed to her side to defend her, “ please don’t kill anyone Monica. We need everyone here to survive and grow stronger together.”

“ That’s right,” agreed Stardust. “ Monica please do not murder Scarlett... If my NPC empire became the most powerful force in the world then I would be willing to tell everyone about my origins.”

Everyone beamed up at the great opportunity!

Marla was the most fierce, “ we will become the strongest NPCs in the world!”

All the fighting types of NPCs quickly agreed with Marla, which were all of them except Queen and Luna. But Queen was strongly desired to have the strongest nation with powerful NPCs supporting her. While Luna was the least ambitious out of everyone but supported them. Stardust was proud and believed in them. He wasn’t going to stop their ambitions if that is what they truly wished for. His NPCs could become super strong in the future. They won’t be alone if they reached the apex of power. However, Stardust can no longer grow as strong as he once was. He would have to rely on his NPCs to protect everyone.

1