Chapter 15: A new day, a new plan/dear mother
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Maria awoke early in the morning with uneasy thoughts, her arms still tightly clung around Elaine and Sir Screech. Both laid in her embrace, with Elaine just slowly opening her eyes in turn. "Good morning, my beloved master. I pray I was able to guard your sleep." A light smile spread across her master's face at Elaine's words, slowly she got up and out of bed, shivering at the cold and lack of clothes. Blushing a dark red she looked around and found a tidy set of clothes for both her and Elaine laid out for her on the desk, along with a plate filled with slices of fresh bread and a still warm cup of tea. "Sin." Maria muttered, and got dressed before sitting down to have her breakfest. Elaine followed suit in putting on the clothes, her short black dress giving her already pale body an even more eerie look that the beast seemed to love as she spun around her axis. "Ah, finally I can make a proper impression on my beloved master!" Her master could not help but find the display endearing, she did not take her eyes off of Elaine as she finished up her meal. "You look amazing, it really uhm, makes you shine." 

No matter how inelegant, Elaine was starstruck by her compliment regardless, her heart would surely be trying to jump out of her chest if she had one. Instead she hurried to Maria's side and followed her out into the main chamber. Once more they found Yggdrasil's chamber open, though Sin was nowhere to be found. The treebound Beast awaited her master with an impatient groan and the rustling of her branches. "I am glad to see you this refreshed, I am afraid you will require all of your energy. Do you wish the detailed explanation as to how bad things are, or do you wish to only know the most important facts and a course of action?" 

Maria let out a loud sigh at her words and rested a hand on her hip, facing Yggdrasil's blind gaze. "And here I thought yesterday was a complete success. Just give me the most important rundown, if you told Sin already then she can brief me in detail later." Her reply left the beast without words, much to the very open glee of Elaine.  First after she rattled her vines and began to pout did she reply. "We were successful, but no matter how complete our victory, a response was inevitable given our enemies. In short, the enemy has accepted our declaration of war. Your faces are across every newsreel, they got your old name and when they are not busy mourning the loss of peace and their dead hero, they are calling you the newest 'evil mastermind'." Every word was spoken with greater disdain, until she finished with a dismissive scoff. "While all of that is just the posturing of pawns, it is mainly to meant to distract from the fact that they are sealing off the city, from what I have been able to see they are making frighteningly fast progress. Encirclement is not profitable for us, given the lack of allies and other beasts to reclaim." 

During her briefing Maria began to pace forward and back in front of Yggdrasil, who quickly stopped trying to adjust her head to look at her. Elaine mirrored her master, her gaze pinned upon her in the wake of not needing to watch for enemies. "So we need to bail fast, but where do we go? And how do we take you along? I wouldn't want to abandon you." Her concern caused Yggdrasil to smile, sincerely, for the first time. "What you see is but a sapling that took root long ago, you will merely take another with you to let me take root at your next headquarters. The enemy still does not know of this stronghold, as long as I do not spread my roots too far I will be fine, though I will continue to cause issues in your name. The longer the enemy cannot be sure that you left, the more time you will have. As for where to go." It was here that she stopped, and crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Well, I do not know. I do not have contact with my other offspring, if they even still live. As much as it pains me, but Sin may know a better course of action. I asked her to procure a vehicle for your escape while you slept, she is awaiting outside."

With that Yggdrasil raised up her hand, her branches rattling as they shifted and moved closer to let her pick a large, blackened fruit to give to her master. It was somehow more grotesquely malformed and alive than the last, though Maria was able to bear it this time. "My new offspring will require time and affection to bloom, my master. Please give her that which I did not have." The softness with which she spoke had maria grasp her chest, taken aback. "I will, I promise. Is there anything else you need to tell me, of how dangerous Sin is for me or something like that?" Her retort only earned a weak laugh by Yggdrasil. "You hold not just your authority, more than that. When you came here I saw a frightened girl trembling under a mantle too large and heavy for her. It may still not fit completely, but I can see you are no longer crumbling underneath." She reached out with her human hand, laying it on her master's head. "Sin will always be Sin, but she is also more devoted to our cause than anyone else. Never forget that. Now, please take everything you need and make your retreat, time is precious." 

Maria could never have imagined that the touch of Yggdrasil would be this soft and gentle, for but a moment it had her blush. "Thank you, for all your help. I will return, I wont just leave you alone here forever." With these words she dashed out of the chamber to pack her things, followed swiftly by Elaine and leaving behind an Yggdrasil filled with emotions warm and surprising. "Perhaps there is still hope for us." She muttered before lowering her head as the gate to her chamber closed shut, not to open again until her master's return. 

While scouring the rooms for her things Maria could find few of her things. The bathing supplies, their food and clothes, everything but Sir screech and the more ancient rations of her ancestor were gone, so they left with Maria only caring her shoulder bag, Sir screech looking out of it as per usual. Out in the main hall of the factory they found Sin, waiting in front of a new black van, leaning against it with her eyes closed shut. Maria quickly ran up to her, her heart beating fast with growing unease. "How did you, get this one, isn't it a bit too, well, large?" 

Her servant opened her eyes and bowed in her presence. "We required a vehicle that could also carry supplies and provide a hiding place for you, my master. Me and Elaine can be hidden and change under observation, you however less so. And as for my obtaining it, I can assure you that nobody was hurt, physically or mentally. If you would follow me?" After a quick nod from Maria she lead her to the back of the van and opened it. The spacious interior had been remodelled into a small shelter, with a small mattress, several cupboards and bags holding their supplies. There was also a lid with a blind that could be closed on both sides, allowing for communication. Sin had even managed to set up a small tv in a corner. "I sadly was not able to outfit the space further, given our lack of time. When we are out of harms way however, I can gladly begin to make the space more comfortable, my master." Maria slowly stepped inside, looking around in awe. "And you did all of this in one night? I guess I, should have expected something like this. Do you, already know where we should go?"

Her question was answered with a small nod. "I have a route that should still be open before our enemy seals it. I would advise Elaine to stay at your side for this trip, and to remain quiet, if possible." Elaine already climbed into the back of the van, following her master and staying at her side, who sat down on the mattress, biting her lip. "Alright, then, I suppose we should get going, yes." 

As Sin closed the doors Maria and Elaine were briefly shrouded in the dark, before Maria could find a light switch. Moments after the engine roared and they drove off. As Maria staid silent, so did Elaine, leaving her master's mind to wander. She had never left town for more than a few hours, she had not spent a single night away from these streets. The feeling of unease spread through her body, and as she tried to recall a time or a day where it may have happened, another thought suddenly burst into her mind, like a dagger to her heart. Tuesday had passed. 

She opened the lid and looked outside to Sin in panic. "Please, before we leave we have to go to 9th Rose street." Her words caused Sin to look back at her out of the corner of her eyes. "My master, I would truly not advise to-" 

Sin's body tensed up, her mind cowering under the grip of Maria's authority. "I have to get to 9th Rose street. Now." Without another word Sin turned, driving into the opposite direction. Maria began to rummage through their stashes, desperately searching for chocolate, or a flower, but could find nothing, only causing her worry to rise up even more violently. She felt her throat tighten, a feeling that only started to fade when they stopped. "We are here, my master." Sin muttered, looking at the walls of the graveyard on the other side of the street. "Just, wait here for a bit, I will be back." As she darted towards the door Elaine was following, but a single look from Maria caused her to freeze in place, leaving her master to dash out of the van on her own. 

In these moments her mind was not working, but it did not need to. Her legs knew the exact way, across the street, through the gates and down the small, quiet pathways past rows of tombstones. At any day, in any condition would she have found her way, after all she had walked this path 573,571 times. She finally stopped in a small corner of the cemetery, in front of a single, white grave. She sat down on her knees, and the world began to fade away around her, it was not important anymore. Maria ran her hand across the stone and took out the small knife out of her bag that she had always carried along with her. With it she cut the grass around the grave, back to the length that it should be. "Hey mom, I'm sorry, I didn't make it yesterday." Despite her tears that were streaming down her face she was able not to sob. She sifted through the roses laying in front of the grave, taking away the oldest that had begun to wither. "I am doing well, I am fine, so you don't have to worry. Mom I, I am sorry." She put her hands in her lap, lowering her head unable to look up. "I couldn't bring you a new one, and I wont be able to, I wont be able to visit for a while, and I don't know for how long." Her nails dug into her palms, but the pain could not make her feel better. "I will finally, become a princess, like you always said I could, I hope, I hope that you will forgive me, for leaving you, all alone, and I am sorry for the haircut." She began to shake her head, biting her teeth together enough for her muscles to hurt, it was not enough to calm her. "I'll, become the greatest lady the world has ever seen, mom, I promise. And I'll make the world a better place, I know I, I know the world will hate me, but please." She put her head down to the ground, blood dripping from her fingertips. "Please be proud of me, please tell me I am good, please, there is magic, there is demons and prophecies, please mom, talk to me!" The last rest of control faded as she broke, her sobbing causing her body to tremble and writhe. "Please tell me I am good, please tell me you are proud of me, please, am I, am I good, I need you, I need you to tell me I am good!" 

Nothing answered her. Only the gentle rustling of the leaves in the wind kept her company. Her tears were still flowing when she got back up on her feet. "I'm sorry, mom. Please, don't be lonely, I'll never stop thinking about you. I love you, mom." 

Maria had to turn around, she had to walk, even if every step was hard, even if this pain was greater than any she felt since her life had turned upside down. When she returned to the van and they drove off, she staid silent. With Sir Screech in her arms she hid in a corner, holding onto the plush for dear life, and not even Elaine could come closer to her. 

For even she knew that there was nothing she could do for her master right now. 

0