Chapter 3: Strength
74 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was surprised at the sudden popup from the system that asked if I wanted to evolve. I had not expected to have an evolutionary path open so soon. It seems that with every ten levels I gain I get the option to evolve. What was more surprising though was the amount of experience I gained from slaying the women. They posed so little challenge to me that I hardly did much. Either they were too weak, or I was too strong. It mattered little now.

 

Without much hesitation, I decided to evolve. Almost instantly I felt a burning sensation throughout my body that felt like I was lit on fire. The sensation in my head, neck, body, and insides was agonizingly painful to the point I wanted to die.

 

After what felt like an eternity the pain had started to subside and I could feel my muscles swell up with power. My decaying face felt sturdier, my teeth longer and more powerful, my nails longer, and my face had turned paler. "Status," I thought

 

Status

Titles: [Lord of the Wicked] [Master Necromancer]

Name: [Unnamed]

Race: [Ghoul]

Class: Necromancer

Level: 1

HP: 45/45

Mp: 7/7

HP Regen: 10/Hour

MP Regen: .8/ Hour

Debuff: N/A

Buff: N/A

 

New Skills Available (please choose one)

 

[<Ignite>] - Channel your mana within a dead body igniting it with [<Hellfire>]

 

[<Support>] - Grant any raised undead sentience and a fraction of your power

 

*Note* skills that are not chosen will not be available in the future

 

Looking at my stats I had noticed that my evolution had been successful and I was definitely much stronger than before. My health and mana both gained a significant boost and I noticed that I had the option to choose a skill.

 

I gave it some thought and was torn between them both. [<Ignite>] was definitely powerful but a bit vague. I wondered if it affected undead or sorely bodies that weren't affected by my necrotic energy.

 

[<Support>] on the other hand could also be useful. I was getting bored wandering the dungeon alone in search of a place to call home and having another powerful ally was definitely what would help me more in the long run.

 

After some thinking, I thought it better to go with [<Support>]

 

[Skill <Support> has been unlocked]

 


 

As I began wandering the dungeon again, I had reflected on what the two women I had slain earlier were saying. They were talking about a strong man named John they had left behind which piqued my curiosity. I felt that this "John" character could turn out to be a worthy opponent if he survived his current situation so I decided there'd be no better way to test out the full potential of my capabilities than by killing him.

 

I began searching for John by going deep into the Lost Satyr. It still felt strange to me that no monsters within the dungeon would attack me. In my past life, I was occasionally swarmed by monsters and animals but none were particularly friendly with me so I was always cautious. Now I felt I could drop my guard around them albeit not completely due to the adventurers creeping within the dungeon and the more hostile monsters like the ones before me.

 

I quickly hid in the shadows away from the hall. Before me was a large group of tiny, green-skinned monsters with blunted weapons and armor. These creatures numbered between forty-five and fifty. While they passed through the hall, I felt an intense aura of bloodlust so strong, my knees felt weak. "Corrupted goblins," I thought.

 

In the front, which I assumed to be the leader, was another green-skinned monster. This one was tall, had large tusks, and had bulging muscles that could snap anything in half. An orc. The orc was wielding a large club in its right hand and was wearing worn-out leather armor.

 

I began to wonder if I could take them all on using [<Raise Undead>] and whether I would get experience from slaying my corrupted peers. I had not yet killed any monsters thus far so in the end, I decided to take the opportunity.

 

I swiftly escaped from the shadows and positioned myself in front of the group. I had my staff in my right hand and began to conjure [<Raise Undead>] while staring the orc deep into his eyes. I summoned twenty-five lesser ghouls and thirty-five skeletons totaling sixty of my forces.

 

The orc had stared far too long and was paralyzed. I commanded my forces to engage the enemy goblins and they quickly caught up. The goblins also engaged and the two forces began to clash against each other. Blood flew all across the dark hall staining the stone walls, floor, and each other. The shattering of bones echoed across the entire hall, with sounds of metal clanking against each other.

 

I began approaching the orc. I strapped my staff to my back and pulled out my sword from my hip and infused it with [<Hellfire>] which drained two mana points. I grew closer and closer to my target until I began getting swarmed by goblins. I countered by conjuring swarms of undead from the ground that began to aid me and stopped the forces from getting any closer to me.

 

As I got closer to the orc, I swiped my sword around causing the goblins to fall and set on inextinguishable fire. Their bodies squirmed and spasmed on the ground from the intense pain. [<Hellfire>] was twice as painful than normal fire which meant it caused irreversible damage to one's body.

 

I finally reached the orc but suddenly it broke free from its daze and swung its club unexpectedly at me. The attack was so unexpected it landed right on my head and threw me a few meters from where I was standing.

 

[You have taken damage! -20 HP]

 

I got up, dazed and disoriented, and began my attack against the orc. I pointed my finger at the orc from a distance and conjured a [<Poison Arrow>]. It struck the orc right on his forehead which enraged him. The orc retaliated by charging straight to me and despite his size, he was incredibly fast but I quickly, only barely, managed to dodge the attack.

 

I didn't notice it before but I realized that [<Inflict Disease>] was active on the orc and along with, [<Poison Arrow>]. [<Leech>] was also active, restoring a fraction of my health. The orc continually lost health over time, slowing him and disorienting him as time went on. Meanwhile, my forces were overwhelming the goblins but the goblins weren't just sitting ducks, they did a number on them.

 

The orc began to stabilize however I had had about enough with this fight so using the dead goblins on the floor, I turned them into undead and they began to rise and attack their former allies.

 

There were now only seven goblins remaining huddled against each other while thirty of my forces, including the risen undead goblins, remained.

 

The orc began to weaken from the damage he had taken so ceasing the opportunity, I ran up to him as swiftly as possible and used all my might to slice through his tough, green neck. With no energy left, he committed to a futile swing and failed. I cleanly cleaved his head off, the head rolling across the cold, stone floor and blood spraying all over from his neck.

 

After having killed the orc, I ordered my forces to kill the remaining goblins and they did. I had won my first battle as an undead.

 

[You have gained a level]

 

[You have gained a level]

 

[You have gained a level]

 

[You have gained a level]

 

[You have gained a level]

 

[You have gained a level]

 

[You are now level 6]

 

[<Swordsman> has gained a level]

 

[<Swordsman> has gained a level]

 

[<Swordsman> has gained a level]

 

[<Swordsman> has gained a level]

 

[<Swordsman> has gained a level]

 

[<Swordsman> has reached max level. Commencing evolution...]

 

[Evolution complete. You are now a <Master Swordsman>]

 

[You have gained a title: Death Knight]

 

[All stats have been replenished]

 

I was almost surprised at the sheer amount of growth I had experienced so far. I was closing in on my strength from before. I wanted to see how my stats changed so I opened my status screen. "Status"

 

Status
Titles: [Lord of the Wicked] [Master Necromancer] [Death Knight]
Name: [Unnamed]
Race: [Ghoul]
Class: Necromancer
Level: 6
HP: 54/54
Mp: 10/10
HP Regen: 15/Hour
MP Regen: 1/Hour
Debuff: N/A
Buff: N/A

 

I noticed that I was more than halfway to my next evolution. Despite having wiped out a small battalion of monsters, I only leveled up six times, which meant if I wanted to evolve further into the future, I'd have to slay stronger enemies.

 

I also gained a new title that I wanted to check out so I looked up "Death Knight."

 

[Death Knight]: A [Rare] title obtained after reaching [<Master Swordsman>]. Every time an enemy is struck by your sword, you have a 1% chance of Instantly killing them. As you level up
this will increase by .3%.

 

"Whoa this is incredible," I thought to myself. I was baffled at the strength of this title. Out of my three titles, this one was definitely one of the most interesting ones. I noticed that this title was also a bit vague. My main concern was whether or not killing them instantly applied to all enemies and not just weaker ones.

 

All in all, I was definitely in a good position to continue exploring and finding the adventurer John.

5