A heavy fate
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thanks," Yana lightly giggled seeing the faint red tint on Luka's face. It could be from running or because he was embarrassed.

"It was nothing," Luka cleared his throat and properly stood up. It was only natural for him to take care of Yana. Yes, he could've asked Bao or one of the staff, but he still felt it was natural to do it personally.

Running through a few blocks was no problem. Yana put the pads and car key in her little purse and linked arms with Luka who flinched in surprise. Although Yana told herself to keep her distance from him, getting a bit closer should be no problem.

Also, they were about to enter the lion's den, the after-party. Yana needed as much support as she could get.

This moment was for them. No one else besides them walked down the empty hallway. This moment determined Yana's future for a while.

As they comfortably walked towards the hall where the after-party was held, each of them was lost in different thoughts because once they stepped into the hall it was inevitable.

The gossip, the rumours, the eyes, their reputation. It'd be all determined from a single damn entrance. Suddenly, Yana slightly grit her teeth. These damned people, these damned humans being so quick to jump to conclusions, being so quick to use their silver tongues to bring down others that were lowly in their eyes.

Yana could already feel all of it and she hated, dreaded, loathed what was about to come. Because once they stepped past the door, everyone, without exceptions, would think Yana was either Luka's new girlfriend, new fling or simply a slut making her way into his bed to receive a little bit of favour.

No matter how much they denied having a relationship, no matter how they tried to prove it, people would always want to see or hear what they wanted to see or hear.

From here on out, Yana would have her fate sealed. She knew the risks and the outcomes if she joined the banquet as Luka's partner but still accepted. Now that she clearly thought about it, she regretted it.

Why was she even doing this? What for? Because Luka asked her to be his partner to make up for the fact she ditched him? No.

Because she wanted to one-up the managers and show them who was the one they were messing with? No.

Because she wanted the mission to be a success? No.

Because she wanted to properly be in charge of the project for the orphanage? No. No. No!

Then why? Why?

Yana didn't understand her own actions but there was no point in thinking about it. She was already here, prepared everything, made herself known, so she had to see it to the end.

Because once she set her goal onto something she'd finish it. Because that was what Yana did. Because she swore to do that, if she couldn't even accomplish this, then, then-

"Are you ok?" Luka noticed the slight tremble that came from Yana's delicate hand wrapped around his arm. He also noticed that she was slightly pale. So-

He stopped in his tracks and cupped her face, "If you don't want to, we don't need to go in. We can just turn back and go home. There's no need to face yourself. You've already accompanied me, that's more than enough."

Ahhh...

Yana's eyes slightly shook. She finally understood but also not.

That hateful smile of Luka, able to calm her down instantly, able to fling her worries away only to make it 1000 worse.

Lifted from an abyss to throw into blazing hell. Yes, Yana understood. It was all Luka's fault.

Why did her mission go wrong? Because he appeared, he bought the damn orphanage, became her boss, made her the project manager of an unnecessary project, pinned her against these damn managers of the other companies, and brought her into this situation.

It was all Luka's fault. All his. All his. All hers. Yana didn't understand, couldn't fathom just what he wanted from her. In the beginning, she thought it was to pay her back, he even acted like this but then more and more of his tenderness, his care and his warmth seeped out, flooded into her until he didn't even bother to hide it anymore.

Just like now. Just like a few minutes ago where he ran to buy her pads. Why?

Just what was it that he wanted from her? Turn back time and pretend they were still the same naive young students? Rekindle their friendship? WAs it really that what Luka wanted? Or... did he have an ulterior motive?

Staring into his bright and gentle eyes, Yana returned an equally loving smile while in her heart she spit curses, "No, it's alright. Let's go."

Let's go and announce our pseudo or whatever relationship everyone wants to believe in.

That was right, Yana panicked for a second because she was stunned, flustered and taken away by Luka briefly. His presence pulled her into a false sense of security.

Going back to how they were previously? What a joke. Since that day when Yana decided to take the hand of the strange Roy she met for the first time, left behind her old life, severed all of her ties, that was when she completely cut off anyone to ruthlessly, bloodily follow down a path of no return.

No one, not Luka, not Roy or anyone else had the place to meddle in her new life. She'd pretend to become friends with Luka again, pretend they could go back, pretend and pretend until this mission was over and she'd once again throw him behind and leave.

With no regards for his feelings. Nor anyone's. This was the path she took. Lonely and endlessly daunting.

Her high heels clicked whenever they made contact with the creamy ceramic ground. Not knowing of the dark and hurtful thoughts brooding in Yana's mind, Luka was in a good mood.

The smile Yana gave him was so enticing, so familiar, so reminiscing of the past, he couldn't help but feel happy.

He knew what it meant to ask Yana to be his partner at this banquet and show her off to the world. And he was happy she accepted it. His chest was filled with so much joy it wanted to fly, turn into stars and dance around them.

5 years have passed since the last time he saw her. 5 years of desperate searching and longing. They should've become strangers, his feelings for her shouldn't run so deep but he could only submerge deeper into the darkness until he reached the end.

Back then, Yana willfully barged into his life to become his life and then ever-so willfully left abruptly. Not being able to bear the hole she left behind, Luka desperately sought to fill it with her again. So he found her and he would never let her go again.

It was inevitable for them to become different people but Luka was sure that there were enough chances to get to know each other better, spend more time and develop all the sweet and tender feelings of love, they missed out on in the past.

Luka was in no rush, as long as Yana was here, they could take their time to fall in love. Love each other and take care of each other.

Right now, they were in their early stages. Luka was willing to wait and guide Yana along until she'd open up to him. No matter how long it took, he'd wait for her.

Because that was a promise he made back then-

To himself and to her.

With these strikingly contrasting, painful and naïve thoughts, both held a smile. One genuine and one fake.

They stood in front of the door. It was too late to run back.

Only the future could tell just how painful the heavy weight of fate would be, crashing down on both of them.

0