The ultimate card
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bright sunlight shone through the curtains and fell on Yana's face. She slowly opened her eyes and groggily woke up. She felt a heavy force on her body and slightly panicked.

Where was she? What happened? Yana could barely breathe. Was she in the end, after all, kidnapped?

Yana still felt a bit tired and her body was sore but she still managed to turn around only to face Luka with a blank face. Luka's arm tightly wrapped around her, pulling her into a cosy embrace as his head was nestled in her shoulder now.

Yana tried to free herself but it was futile. Even in sleep, Luka didn't want to let her go. She took a deep breath before her view fell on his peaceful sleeping face. His features were softened and looked just like how she remembered him 5 years ago.

With her fingers, Yana lightly trailed over his eyebrow, his nose, his cheek and then removed a few strands of loose hair from his face. Careful not to wake him up.

She was too enamoured staring at him that she didn't even realise her own thumping heartbeat and the heat that flowed through her body.

Her fingertips lightly trembled as she pulled away. Luka was really too handsome, it wasn't fair. Yana buried herself in the blanket as Luak still tightly held onto her. For a while, Yana just enjoyed the feeling of having someone close to her.

This kind of warmth, intimacy and closeness, Yana has never experienced it before, after all, Yana didn't have parents and she herself grew up in an orphanage.

Maybe that was why she was a bit too attached to the orphanage she was currently working in. Maybe that was why the mission progressed so slowly.

And maybe that was the reason why she was a bit thankful to Luka for buying the orphanage without any bad intentions, although he pushed her into all this mess. Yana closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She needed to leave before Luka would wake up.

Yana made up her mind when she threw Luka one last look, it lingered longer than she has anticipated. This man was really shaking her up. It was too dangerous.

***

A slow melody drifted through the clear blue sky and laughter, wonderful pleasant laughter filled everything surrounding him, but then a repulsive sound gripped his body and shook him awake.

Luka growled as his hands fumbled around the drawer next to the bed until he managed to get a hold of his phone. Who dared to disturb him when he just had such a nice dream?

Unhappy, Luka picked it up without checking who it was.

"What?" Luka's annoyed and cold voice rang through and was met with an anxious one, "B-Boss."

"Bao, it's you? What do you want?" Luka held his hand over his face. He was not in the mood to be woken up.

"Where are you now, boss?"

"Hotel room, why?"

"Ok, wait for me!"

"Wha-"

Beep. Beep. Bao hung up on him. Luka rubbed his temple before throwing his phone on the drawer again and turned to the side.

He felt a bit cold and empty but when he saw the reason why, his heart dropped a bit.

Yana... wasn't here.

He even waited until she fell asleep to cuddle with her and take her into his embrace. He was looking forward to waking up with her but who knew he overslept and she slipped away without any notice.

Slight bitterness crept up. Like every person, Luka craved for the warmth he has never gotten. He thought he might never attain it but then Yana just had to barge into his life and give him a glimpse of the desire he buried deep in his chest, never wanting to pull it out, only for her to disappear making him crave for more.

Since then he has been on the chase. Desperately yearning for that glimmer of hope to return to him so it could ignite a spark, burn into a fire to warm both of them. Yet Yana came in and went out again to come in and leave again.

Luka also wanted a simple life. A job, a wife and then children. He wasn't the abstinent man everyone made him out to be. He was also a romantic. He wanted to give everything to the person who managed to thaw him first only to leave him half-way hanging.

Luka grit his teeth. Since Yana already burnt her hand on him, she had to take responsibility and share the warmth with him so until that happened, she wouldn't get away. And whatever it took, Luka would successfully seduce her.

He stood up and got dressed. He wanted to ask for advice but the last time he confided in Bao it turned out to be completely useless and books didn't help much either.

The internet was also a stub. So Luka had to find another way to figure out the mystery to just how in the damn world be appealing to Yana.

When Luka opened the hotel room, a flushed Bao met him. Bao widened his eyes and could see his life crashing into a dead end, "B-Boss, where are you going?"

"To see Yana of course," Luka said it as if it was the most natural thing on earth. Just as water was vital to keep the body alive, seeing Yana was vital for his heart.

Bao dreadingly anticipated this and his despair made itself apparent again, "No, no, no boss! That can take time! You've got work to do!"

To make a point, Bao barricaded the door with his body and refused Luka to exit the hotel room. Luka raised his eyebrow and his scorching gaze was slowly chipping away at Bao's will to live.

Dammit, he was pitying himself. Why was his life so hard? Just why?

"Boss, you've got a meeting! If- If you don't do your work, then-then I'm quitting!" Bao said it tearfully and dramatically as if he was a girlfriend threatening to break up if her boyfriend didn't stop meeting other girls.

Luka wore a cold smile as he looked Bao up and down, "So, you're asking me to choose between Yana and you?"

Bao's face turned into a shocked emoji. Quitting was the ultimate card he wanted to reserve for the really dire situations but his boss forced him to pull it out right now, so how was that Bao's fault?

Bao had a whole speech prepared to slap it in his boss' face when Luka complied, "Alright. Let's go."

Bao was exhilarated while Luka thought it'd be a pain to change assistants now.

He wasn't choosing Bao over Yana, Yana wouldn't want to see him now anyway or she would've stayed. So, Luka would just call her. Yes, yes that was the best choice.

0