Chapter 2 The Voyage Begins
143 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The truth of the matter is, Earth had no real choice, in this at all. They had to accept the proposition. Even if they knew the alliance was just using them. It was just that, if they didn't accept the terms and conditions from the propose solution, that was provided to the Earth, their growth rate would plummet.

In order for the people of Earth to reach the baseline level of the average Galactic citizen, thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years of evolution would be required to pass, only if there were no outside interference speeding up the process.

Lucky, the contract itself wasn't even that strict, because if it was, none of the newly discovered civilization would even bother to sign it. The contract stated that the Galactic alliance will loan a means for Earth and their people to travel through the Universe with. While everything they sell back to the Galactic alliance will be 15% cheaper then the market rates, not including private transactions. 

Why does the Galactic Alliance need more manpower?

Even though the Galactic Alliance is a Universal level power house and a highly technological advance civilization with a population in the 100s of trillions. The galaxy is still infinitely larger and the explored areas still represents, less then 1% of the entire universe.

The alliance could in theory leave it up to their Artificial Intelligent robots and machines, to do the exploration and, the hunting and the gathering of materials from the many different planets in the universe. But, not only is that an inefficient use of recourses, by creating all those AI machines, the cost to maintain them and keep them active is astronomical. They are not like an assembly line, where everything is being fed to them in a straight line from start to finish.

Al's are in fact best for calculations and finding solutions in the most efficient possible way, they just aren't suited to applying these solutions in mass by themselves. Especially in a ever changing environment such as the exploration of space and, the hunting and gathering of materials on new and different planets in the 3 dimensional space. Every planet a group of AI robots manages to reach, unlike with the emptiness of space, a planet is not flat, there is danger lurking all around, that they have to deal with, and all in real time.

They have to constantly scan and update with each individual movement they make. Not only that, they have to send the information back to their controlling AI, as so that the controlling AI can update the rest of the individual AI robots that are currently on the planet, as AI's robots can't really truly make discreet decisions by themselves. 

It isn't that AI's are bad for the job. In fact, they can do a very good job. The energy to keep a robot body moving by itself, isn't that great, as well technology has advanced enough to supply high quality robots nearly moving forever if they aren't being subjected to extreme and dangerous environments. There is just not enough energy to sustain "AI" driven robots. As each robot is equipped with an "AI" the amount of power required to sustain them individually, even though they are not as advance as the controlling AI's that monitors and governs them all, still consume more power faster then it can gather by a huge margin. So each AI driven robot doesn't remain active for a very long time even with a power supply. Because the power consumption was so high it was never worth doing on a galactic and economic scale.

That is where intelligent creatures like those from Earth comes in. Though, more unpredictable and less obedient intelligent creatures are actually the best choice for universal space exploration. As long as enough benefits is provided and limitations are enforced they will usually play by the rules. Especially those from low grade planets they can be controlled the easiest, if they want to travel the galaxy. Unlike the unprofitable AI swarm of robots, there is plenty of profit to be made using low grade intelligent creatures.

...

It has been been a month, since the world government have announced the agreement contract details to the people of Earth. They are currently rapidly producing the devices for everyone on Earth, to travel the universe with. It is no longer about quality of human beings, what the Earth needs is quantity. They are preparing to mobilize every available working hand as soon as possible. 

Today was a bright and sunny day. The birds are chirping, the bees are buzzing, and kids could be heard and seen playing in lushes green, full blooming parks.

A cat was perch upon a park bench. It stretched out it's paws and then turned around on its back, sunbathing.

"Meow"

The cat was in a relax mood.

Suddenly a hand stretched out towards the cat. Startled by the suddenness of the incoming hand, the cat retaliated, and scratch the hand with its paws and quickly ran away.

"Ouch!" Cried a grown middle age man.

His hand was currently bleeding from trying to pet the cat.

"Aww, come on don't leave, all I just wanted to do was pet you!"

The middle age man was more upset then angry at the cat, because he didn't get to rub its belly.

"Ah choo, Ah choo!"

The middle age man rubbed his nose.

"Dam allergies! If only I wasn't allergic to cats, I would have kept a dozen at least in my apartment, though I would have been kicked out of it by that point." 

The best the man could have done was barely making contact with a cat, without tearing his eyes out and sneezing uncontrollably.

This middle age man here, he is called Roger. As you can tell this man is a cat lover but due to his allergies he has towards them, he couldn't own any.

Roger age 31, slightly tall, a bit skinny, wild bed hair, and a glass wearing middle age man. Or at least that is what is considered middle age these days by the kids.

Today his device set is soon to arrive at his apartment building. He would soon be able to travel the Universe.

Roger was 21, when that eventful day happened when the visitors from outer space, first arrived. Ever since then the Earth was changing at a rapid pace. It was a lot for the 21 year old to take in back then. Sadly, he had no one to guide him through the changes back then, as his parents die early on in his life. He was immediately thrown out of his orphanage once he turn 18 and had to rely on himself ever since then.

Currently, he works as a freelancer, taking on odd jobs, writing novels, drawing, and doing basic tinkering. In his free time, he play games with the few friends that he have. Mainly, massive multiplayer online role playing games. Roger is mainly a solo player, on the side the gold that he earns, he sells for money to pay his bills. 

Roger never did earn a lot, but it was enough to get him by in life. Don't even talk about a girlfriend, he never even kissed a girl in his life.

The world was in its transitioning phase from the standard earth currency to using alliance credit though it is still not up to date. The change is happening.

He was currently relaxing in the park, while waiting for a call to tell him that his package has arrived.

Out of no where, his phone starts ringing waking him up from his relax state of mind.

"Ring, Rinnnng, Rinng"

Roger, quickly picked up his phone and answered it.

"Hello, who might this be?" He asked.

"Hello sir, is this Roger that I am speaking to?" Said the person on the other side of his phone.

"Yes, that person is me."

"Well, your package has arrived you can come pick it up now."

"Great! Thanks you, can leave it with my apartment manager and I will pick it up then." 

Roger didn't have to worry about anyone stealing his device as every single device is ID to a specific person.

He quickly headed back to his apartment.

"Yo, manager did you receive my package?"

"Let me check, ah yes here it is. Take it."

 The manager went to retrieve his package, while he was signing it out. As soon as he received it, Roger sprinted to his room immediately, to set up the device.

Roger's room was as one would expect, from someone living on a tight budget. His bed actually took up half of his living space. Besides that he had a desk and a chair. Where Roger cooks and use the bathroom is in a communal space in the apartment.   

The process was relatively painless, while lying on his bed, all he had to do was hook up his headset and several nutrient packs before he can login.

"Great, I am all set up now. It is time! Login in!"

 Author's Notes

Hello, Lostcattears here.

I have a patreon, and it have goals for faster and more constant releases.

https://www.patreon.com/lostcattears

Please don't steal my work, if you do... don't ever put it on those predatory sites... you know which ones... 

If you were to steal my work at least leave up the "Author's note" so people can actually know where to support me so I can actually continue writing. In fact if you are stealing and doing it with an intent to profit, which I hope no one does, at least join my patreon.

Though really, that is only if I ever get big enough to go after anyone...

5