Chapter 3 Continental Ark Ship # XXXXXX9 (1)
126 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Roger's thoughts and his image, were currently being teleported through a quantum network to his destination. No longer does the metrics known as the speed of light matters here. Especially when the distance is no longer measured in kilometers, but light years instead.

Teleporting is basically instantaneous movement over a certain distance. But it also comes with serious implications and limitations. Teleporting works by deconstructing of the said subject and the reassembling of the said subject in near real time at a different location. But its limitations are that of mass and distance.

The heavier the subject is and the longer the distance the subject has to teleport, the more energy it takes for teleportation to happen.

Now about the implications of teleportation, is that it really should only be done on inanimate objects and subjects. It can be used on animate subject but unless the animate object or for a better word "a living being", is strong enough at roughly Grade B or higher, that possess enough physical tolerance to resist the deconstruction and reconstruction phase, and a strong enough soul or in simpler terms a strong sense of self that can project willpower, so they can retain their identity during the process, should they use teleportation. Of course the stronger you are, in this case the higher the grade you are, the longer the distance and the more often you can use such an ability. 

But the majority of galactic citizens are below Grade B. Hence comes in portals. Like the cruelly made portal Earth made. They allow people in their physical form to travel through the Universe without teleportation, to different planets and areas of space at a much lower cost. Instead of using teleportation which deconstruct and reconstruct, these portals uses space warp technology. 

What exactly is space warp technology?

Just by its name, it literally means warping space, but by folding it forming a much shorter path from point A to point B. Usually 2 portals are connected to each other by space coordinates and is pulled together with huge amounts of energy. But the path usually only last for a short few minutes, but the portals can be made large enough for large and quick transportation of mass. 

There are actually a lot of space in between atoms and "outer space" itself is also basically a lot of space spread even thinner. Energy is used to shrink the space and pull all the atoms infinitely close to each other creating a quick pathway one can jump through. Thus the requirements of being Grade B and above is not required for quick, long distance, and large amounts of mass transportation.

You can imagine it like a piece of paper, you put two points on the piece of paper, your hands is the energy source that you use to properly position the two points together when you fold it, now the two points are in direct contact with each other. The atoms are now squish together on a quantum three dimensional level creating a solid path albeit temporarily.

Now none of this currently applies to Roger's current teleportation sequence, as that teleporting thoughts, commands and even his image is just data. Which is basically weightless and can be destroyed and recreated almost instantly without harm to the user. So the amount of power required to maintain the connection is also basically nothing, especially when comparing to things that have actual quantifiable mass.

...

"Welcome Earthing, to the Continental Ark Ship # XXXXXX9. This spaceship is made in agreement with the Galactic Alliance, I am your current host AI # XXXXXX9 of this Continental ship." 

Roger is currently floating in empty space. When the message appeared in front of him.

"In accordance to the contract, we will be providing a upgradeable basic Grade E mechanical body to you, to transverse the galaxy with and I, AI# XXXXXX9 will be your guide." 

A screen suddenly showed up in front of Roger's image. Out of the many selection Roger could have chosen from, he choose the most basic humanoid version mechanical body.

"I choose this one."

 Roger did not want to adapt to a different body type, as that would just be a waste of time.

"Please choose your desired weapons."

"Weapon?" Roger looked perplex tilting his head.

"Yes, weapon, you will be needing one, though the current one you will be selecting is only at Grade E danger level, it can be swap out anytime, that is until you start specializing." 

Raising both his hand, Roger was waving it back and forth.

"No, no that is not what I mean." 

"What do you mean?"

"Why would I be needing a weapon?"

"In accordance with the contract, the people of Earth will be sent on missions, to low level Danger ranking worlds. They will be require to clear the dangers of the planet and gather materials inaccessible by normal robotic means. And if there are locals, helping solve their problems will also result in monetary or material gains. Though, whatever materials you "collect" not "received by a local", has to be sold back to the Galactic alliance at a 15% discount of market value. In return, for the guidance provided by I, AI XXXXXX9 of this Continental Ark Ship. When you sell the items and materials you collected, you will receive alliance credit in which you can use for upgrades, purchases of rare products, and use of the ships on board portal to travel to different more advance planets." 

"Hmmm, I see." Shaking his head up and down.

Roger was only acting like this because he never actually read the contract so he didn't know. 

"Before I choose a weapon, can I ask a question?"

"By all means go ahead, I am here to guide."

"What happens if we damage our mechanical bodies, or that in cases it get destroyed?" 

"Though the Galactic Alliance calls it a basic Grade E mechanical body, it is still a wonderous piece of technology. At the very least compared to your Earthlings body, there is a night and day difference. If it is small damages to the body, there is a self repair mode, for larger amounts of damage you can return to the ship for repairs and it can be speed up if you paid. But that is only for basic mechanical bodies. If you somehow completely destroy your body, you will need to start over with a new body or pay to have your body completely rebuilt with the save data on board the Ark Ship. Preparing a new body would also requires time so also expect a long wait. So be careful, especially when starting out in a new environment." 

Roger thought to himself I got to build myself for survivability. But I suck at aiming... So I can't pick long range weapons especially at the start, until I building myself more. 

"But what makes the basic Grade E mechanical body truly special is its ability to use, sense and to store all forms of energy around itself. And it can be upgraded all the way to Grade B! If one have enough alliance credit, of course."

As the AI continued talking, Roger was looking through the weapon's list. They were basically allowed to choose as many weapons as they want within the weight limit, in most cases that would allow them to choose 2 weapons.

What Roger saw was all the basic weapon types that usual mmorpg had, the sword, gun, bow, daggers etc. In the end he picked the 1 handed sword and shield. It was a classic combination in games one hand to defend the other to attack. Though, not as ideal as a long range weapon for survivability, where one can perform the hit and run tactic. It is still better then nothing. Who told Roger to suck at first person shooter games so much.

He end up choosing an energy shield and a energy sword. On the demonstration page of the weapon, it was a physical shield equipped on the non-dominate hand that can not only protect you from physical attacks, but also projects a small energy field in front of you to protect you from energy attacks. While the 1 handed sword in the shape of a physical sword, can generate energy to surround itself and turn it into different types of elements depending on what the situation calls for.  

"I choose the sword and shield for my beginning weapons."

"Very well, there is now just two more steps before you complete your set up process."

Roger thought to himself that was a very long set up process. But in reality if he had read the contract he would have known all this and would have finished it up long ago.

"You may allow slight alterations to your current looks that would be projected onto your mechanical body. Is there anything you would like to change?"

To most people in the world, they would spend the most time on this section. But for Roger besides changing his outfit to look like those of an anime adventurer, he has done nothing to alter his looks and figure.

"Finally, choose a name for yourself to be set up as on the Galactic Net."

"Roger!"

Author's Notes

Hello, Lostcattears here.

I have a patreon, and it have goals for faster and more constant releases.

https://www.patreon.com/lostcattears

Please don't steal my work, if you do... don't ever put it on those predatory sites... you know which ones...

If you were to steal my work at least leave up the "Author's note" so people can actually know where to support me so I can actually continue writing. In fact if you are stealing and doing it with an intent to profit, which I hope no one does, at least join my patreon.

Though really, that is only if I ever get big enough to go after anyone...

4