Chapter 5 The First Grinding Session
70 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When arriving at the Hall of Portals, Roger already noticed there were already groups of people lined up ready to use the smaller portals. But no one was at the giant portal in the middle for some reason.

There were already people that had the same idea as Roger had came up with.

Unlike in games, where monsters constantly respawn at a relatively quick interval, here when a monster dies it stays dead. Even though this is a planet the size of Earth if not even larger. When people actually actively hunt, either by themselves or in groups. One can expect that the monster population will rapidly disappear, and the planet will be sold by the Galactic Alliance, once it is free of danger. 

Now, some of you maybe wondering if the Galactic Alliance is so advance, why would they resort to such practices? When they could just terraform a planet. The reason is because of the time and resources it would take. When terraforming a planet you need to install the necessary components of life into the lifeless world. After that comes the longest part and that is waiting, most beings aren't willing to wait thousands of years. 

Unless you are a special type of being that can live on fiery planets, gaseous planets, to icy frozen worlds.  In which case, most creatures in the Universe are not, once the terraforming is completed the planet would have to be moved into the goldilocks position of the said solar system.       

...

"Hey Ai Guide, what are these portals for?"

AI: We have already set up several base, on the planet. Each of the smaller portals we have set up will lead you to one of those bases.

"Oh thank the heavens, I almost thought the Alliance would make us jump off the spaceship with a parachute to land on the planet."

AI: What are you even saying... You guys only have Grade E mechanical bodies, if you do jump down from this height, you would burn up in the atmosphere longer before you even touch the ground.  

"It's nothing please continue on."

AI: On this planet, theatrically both the monsters and you Earthlings are at the same Danger level, in this case Grade E. Within this Grading level there are still some differences, the monsters can be slightly stronger or weaker then you Earthlings. As there are also some differences between you Earthlings as well, some more skilled then the others but at the base of it all you are all humans. Not only are there slight differences in physique, the environment they are in can also give advantages to those monsters as well thereby, making them more difficult to deal with. 

"Hm, I see."

Roger went up to look at each of the smaller portals. In his vision, a detailed description was displayed before him. 

[Open Plains, Danger Level E Green]

[Forest Area, Danger Level E Yellow]

[Mountain Region, Danger Level E Yellow]

[Ocean, Volcano, Frozen Tundra, Desert etc Danger Level E Orange]

[Sky, Danger Level E Red]    

Roger thought about things for awhile, but then he realize he has forgotten about something.

"Before, I forget what is that giant portal in the middle for?"

AI: That is our long distance teleportation portal, unlike the short distance warp portals that can be used for free, this one has been set up so that only grade D beings and above can use. Usually it is only activated in groups as you have to pay a certain amount of credits before you can use it. The portal usually only last a short while, but it is connected to almost all the existing portals in the explored Universe. 

The Galactic Alliance made it so that one would still be able to spread their wings and fly, if they didn't want to follow the direction in which the Continental Ark Ship is headed. At Grade D they would have less to worry about, while still whenever they sell something in the Alliance territory and gain credits, 15% would still go back to them as they are still subject to the contract and the governing laws of the AI. Usually groups such as Earth, usually still head back to their Continental Ark Ships because they want to be with their own kind and that upgrades and repairs are easier to come by.   

"How do I become a Grade D mechanical body?" 

AI: By buying upgrades of course. Usually after buying 10 upgrades would one become a grade D Mechanical body. And once you reach Grade D you can being choosing your specialization in simpler Earthling terms your class from things like swordsman, fighter, wizards, hunter, etc.  You will also be learning skills associated with those class. 

"Oh!"

AI: Remember each single upgrade is more costly then the next, as each upgrade significantly increases the complexity of the body. That is also the reason why you shouldn't completely get your body destroyed. If you want it to be restored completely it will cost you a lot of credits! If you can't afford to, you will have to start over as a upgradeable Grade E mechanical body once again. Remember the limit the Grade E mechanical body can reach is Grade B. After that you are on your own.

Roger thought to himself, safety should be my top priority, I don't think I can afford to keep starting over. Besides dying means down time and that is not good.

AI: Have you decided where you would like to start out?

"Yes I have, I choose the Volcanic Region Danger Level E Orange!"

Right next to him a portal suddenly opened up. Without hesitation Roger jumped in and disappeared.  

People on the lines of the other portals, looked at the portal that was currently opened. They shook their heads and stood back in line.

Most of those people waiting in line are currently trying to enter Danger Grade E Green and Yellow ratings zones. Even if they were going to choose a higher Danger rating zone, it would be a sceneries one. This was a new world they wanted to explore and have an easy time. 

But it was for this exact reason why Roger choose this zone. Who would want to go to a burning hot zone that has nothing to see? The answer is almost no one. Those that choose the open plains, forests, or even the mountains would face steep competition. Even though it is easier to get use to it is not worth it.  

As Roger stepped out of the portal, the first thing he notice was the large erupting volcano that was currently spilling out lava.

He was currently in the makeshift base created by the Galactic alliance. 

It was set up very simply. Towers defending all sides to prevent the monsters from coming in. A charging station where one can safety log out while your body is repairing and charging itself. A simple repair shop for your weapons. Last but not least a monster and material collection shop.

Roger looked around the base, he quickly noticed that no one was around, just what he wanted, all the stations and shops was being run by the AI automatically.

He finally took his first steps outside of the base.

The first thing he did was not finding a monster to try and kill it. He picked up a rock.

"AI, analyze this."

AI: Analyzing... Description: Rock. Alliance credit 0. Note to the Earthling Roger, don't make me waste precious processing power on something so useless.

Roger laughed. "Hahaha" and threw the rock away.

As Roger headed closer to the Volcano, the greater the seismic activity was. 

There he saw his first monster.

From afar they looked like a crocodile size red salamander.

"Ai, what monster is that?"

AI: Analyzing... Reporting, it is a giant flaming salamander. Danger rating Grade E Orange. 

Description: A giant fire breathing salamander, that has a crocodile defense, lives in lava, and a relatively solitude monster. 

"Sounds simple enough."

With a shield on his left hand and a 1 handed sword on his right, Roger slowly advanced towards the single flaming salamander. Even though Roger was in a mechanical body Roger still felt the sensation of heat being transmitted back to him.

As Roger approaches, the solitude flaming salamander noticed Roger, feeling threaten, on his four crocodile feet he rushes towards Roger. Noticing he has been discovered, he no longer hesitated and run towards it as well. 

So they engaged!

The Giant Flaming Salamander took a breathe and blew out a blazing fire at Roger.

Roger quickly raised his shield and as he willed it with his mind, it produced an even large energy shield covering Roger from the flames.

As the flames was being blocked, Roger's mana was being depleted to sustain the energy shield.

Roger charged into the flames, Roger raised his sword and swing it at the monster's neck. He is currently coating his sword with the ice element. 

The results was not as Roger expected it to be, though there was damage done to the salamander's neck, it was small and was only covered with a thin layer of ice.

The giant salamander noticed that his breathe attack wasn't working.

Before Roger's next sword strike, the Giant Flaming Salamander quickly spun and smashed Roger with his tail. 

Roger barely reacted in time defending himself with his shield. But even then he was sent flying against a small boulder. 

As Roger got up from the attack he noticed he has been damaged a bit as his HP has dropped.

But even then he grin.

"Now, this is real action combat!" 

Author's Notes

Hello, Lostcattears here.

I have a patreon, and it have goals for faster and more constant releases.

https://www.patreon.com/lostcattears

Please don't steal my work, if you do... don't ever put it on those predatory sites... you know which ones...

If you were to steal my work at least leave up the "Author's note" so people can actually know where to support me so I can actually continue writing. In fact if you are stealing and doing it with an intent to profit, which I hope no one does, at least join my patreon.

Though really, that is only if I ever get big enough to go after anyone...

4