Chapter 8 First Upgrade
61 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Speaking of upgrades..."

"Who on this chat forum, was speaking of upgrades?"

"I was."

"Me, too."

"Anyways, now getting back to the point. They are expensive!"

"Really? I haven't checked yet. Tell me about it." 

"You are provided a selection of upgrades you can choose from, from being able to fly, upgrading the parameters of your body, like your strength, speed, processing unit etc."

As Roger was reading the post, he silently nodded and was thanking him for the information since his mechanical body was currently recharging, so he couldn't ask AI # XXXXXX9.

"They are generally ranged from 4,000 credits to 6,000 credits for your first upgrade. Meaning if you were only killing things in the open field region, you would likely only get your first upgrade after 50 kills. Since they are the weakest monsters on the planet."

"Dang, 50 kills? That is going to take me days to get my first upgrade."

"Well yea, for normal people that aren't gamers, it might even take them a month!"

"You don't understand, for some normal people killing 1 monster a day already nets them more money then, them working for several days."

"Hey, these monsters doesn't respawn right?"

"Of course not, though everything may seem like a game to you and me, this is in fact real life."

"Hey! Stop interrupting me, I was not finish with what I was saying."

"Yea!, Stop that let him finish!" Typed Roger.

"You, too!"

...   

"Though, there is a selection of upgrades you can choose from, if there is something that you want but isn't on the list you can have it custom made for you. That generally would cost you double the credits of your first upgrade. Remember guys your first upgrade is your cheapest!"

Roger was sipping on some tea when he was reading the post, but as soon as he finished he nearly choke on his drink.

Roger, thought he was finally rich. Well in a certain sense he was, that is only if he just wants to stay as a normal guy and be satisfy with what he has. But a single custom upgrade to his mechanical body would cost him nearly all he has. Not only that, future upgrades would cost him even more! This first upgrade was already the cheapest!

Just as Roger was about to close the forums and head to sleep. The same guy or gal that posted posted something again. Still curious to what he or she still has to say, he clicked on it again.

"I almost forgot! There are more then just upgrades you can buy from the Galactic Alliance Shop!"

"Oh, what are they?"

"There are many other miscellaneous mumble jumbo things, that I wasn't clear on. But there were a few things that stood out to me."

"Stop with the suspense! What are they?"

 "Augmentations, pills that can extend life, curing diseases and last but not least reviving the dead (depending on the circumstances of course)!" 

The forum was suddenly mind blown! Posting were happening one right after the other at extreme speeds.

"Augmentations? To your real body?! Really? Like those that can make you smarter by installing a microchip into your head?"

"Pills? Like in those cultivation novels? That can strengthen one's real body and open up chi/ki/qi channels. Pills that can make me live longer as well are available?!"

"Oh my lord, do they have pills that can make you look beautiful as well?" 

"Reviving the dead? Is that even possible?!"

"Woah, Woah, Woah, calm down don't expect any of these things to be cheap."

The forum had grew to over 100 pages, with no signs of slowing down. All of a sudden the moderators stepped in and locked it up.

Once the commotion was over. Roger headed to bed in anticipation for tomorrow.

...

Back at the Galactic Alliance Headquarters.

The higher ups were speaking to one another around a desk, with a projection of themselves.

Their leader began speaking.

"How are the Earthlings reacting to this development?"

"They are taking it in much better then we thought they would."

"Will they be able to participate, in the upcoming wars?" 

"No clue, it is way too early for us to tell."

"Then, how about, are there any potential seedlings we are keeping our eyes on?

"About that sir, the AI we sent to monitor the Earthlings, have already discovered several Earthlings with potential that might be able to break through the Grade A level to Grade S!"

"Gasp" The whole room.

"Though, that still remains to be seen. This group of newcomers do seem to have potential. Continue keeping an eye on them."

"Yes, sir!"  

...

It was morning, and the sun was shinnying through the sliding glass doors from Roger's small balcony of his apartment. 

Roger woke up with his normal bed hair, and went to the bathroom.

Brushed his teeth used the toilet, and made himself a quick meal of sunny side up eggs with a side of bacon.

He was currently sipping on coffee, and while eating he was thinking about what he should upgrade. 

There was just to many things he wanted to upgrade. He just couldn't decide. 

Roger went back to his device set and hooked up another nutrient pack before logging back in.

"Log In"

 When he logged in, he was still back at the charging. His energy readings indicated he was full.

"It is time to head back out."

The base he was in, was still as empty as it can be. Roger doesn't expect many people showing up for at least another week to 1 month. Within that time frame, Roger knows he must kill as many monsters in the area as possible to maximize his gains.

The first upgrade Roger wanted was a way to either increase his energy storage so he can last longer on the battlefield or increase the energy conversion rate so he can recover faster. But Roger couldn't decide.  

If Roger entered any other region his decisions might have been different. But, he entered the volcanic region that rapidly depletes his energy reverses of electricity and mp. 

This time when heading out Roger moved as quickly and as efficiently as possible, now that he knows the terrain it was much easier on him. 

When he saw his first Giant Flaming Salamander of the day, he quickly moved into its blind spot.

As soon as he did, Roger quickly activated his shield bash move. In no time at all, the salamander was dead and stored into his orb.

"At this rate, I can kill 10-12 salamander before needing to head back this time."

The time that it took, to kill 6 salamanders was significantly shorter then the day before, and he finished up killing 10 salamanders just right after noon time.

"Hey Ai guide, show me the list of upgrades and things that I can get."

AI: Ok

As soon as the AI gave the "Ok", a screen popped up in front of Roger.

Roger was looking through the list as he was heading back to base camp to recharge.

The things that he was looking for was there, just that he wasn't satisfy with them.

Roger crossed his hand on his shoulders. He grunted.

Roger was looking dissatisfied with his choices, even though he had so many of them. 

"None of them, is what I was looking for. Ugh."

"Hey Ai, I want a custom upgrade, can that be done?"

AI: Of course as long as it is reasonable anything can be done, at a certain price. Just know that it your future upgrades might cost more as well depending on the complexity of your request, since it is something you are requesting that is not on the list. Your first upgrade is generally the cheapest, because it is the easiest to implement, as your body is still in a clean state. Choosing from the list is what intelligent beings from other planets usually do.

"Oh, by the way, why does the reviving the dead cost 100 trillion credit. Do the Alliance even want us to ever get it?"

AI: Reviving the dead, many beings from the Galactic Alliance have asked the same question. The answer is yes, it is possible to revive the dead. The price is priced accordingly. There is nothing wrong with the pricing.  

"Really?" Wondered Roger.

AI: Yes. The process in reviving the dead involves reversing space and time. The more powerful the being you aim to revive, the harder it is to revive them. Very few beings in the "Universe" have ever reached the level of reversing space and time. They are ranked above Grade S. Where ever they lived in the universe they are known as a "Hegemon". The most authoritative person in said galaxies they reside in. With all the people wanting to revive loved ones in the universe, it has to be priced accordingly as what they are doing goes against the very universe itself. They offered this option to encourage people to grow.

"Woah"

AI: But for unknown reasons after a certain period of time these Hegemons vanishes never to be heard from again. And no Hegemons never tries to kill one another. 

"Interesting"

AI: Have you decided on what you want for your first upgrade yet?

"Yes!"

Author's Notes

Hello, Lostcattears here.

I have a patreon, and it have goals for faster and more constant releases.

https://www.patreon.com/lostcattears

Please don't steal my work, if you do... don't ever put it on those predatory sites... you know which ones...

If you were to steal my work at least leave up the "Author's note" so people can actually know where to support me so I can actually continue writing. In fact if you are stealing and doing it with an intent to profit, which I hope no one does, at least join my patreon.

Though really, that is only if I ever get big enough to go after anyone...

4