Chapter 13 Took you long enough
48 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the morning of the next day. Roger was currently eating breakfast, while scrolling through the forums.

Many things, sprang up over the past week. People were spending their time in many different ways. Some took it easy, by just exploring, others that hated fighting, gathered and sold, minerals and plants. There were even those that just sold information to others.

The most notable one has been the creations of guilds, authorized by AI # XXXXXX9. Each guild had their own set of rules, that is enforced by the AI.

Ever since the World Government officials, mass produced possibly several hundred grade D mechanical bodies in this short time frame. The guilds are currently trying to mimic the success that the government had achieved. Albeit at a much smaller scale.  

There were many ways the guilds could go about this. But the most common one would be shifting credits, all on to only 1 person, and then depending on how they were upgraded would bring the others with them to grow faster. That would all be dependent on specialization, if the upgrades were done in all different areas, you would only be marginally stronger then a typical grade E mechanical body. Meaning, if one were to specialize in underwater combat, they would typical get all upgrades that would assist in underwater fights. But if they were to fight in other zones, they might only be slightly more advance then regular people. But all those upgrades would generally put them at the top of the food chain in that specific environment. 

But make no mistake, anything can happen, even if they are at the top of the food chain in that environment and could guide the rest of his guild in that environment to grow, it doesn't mean that there aren't any other peak grade E monsters in said environment. If someone or guild were to be so unlucky to encounter such a creature. And got crushed by them, all of that investment would go poof, unless you have enough money to rebuild that body type that is saved on board the spacecraft.

Usually, the guild picks the one with the highest skill to upgrade first.

Albeit, slower then the first choice, and much longer as well. Is upgrading a core group within the guild itself. The group would generally be able to cover each other's short comings. If one were to accidently get crushed, the replacement cost would be lowered. This is usually the safe option. But this option introduces more competition, because unlike with a specialize option where there are less competitors to compete for resources for the guild, which is finite on the planet. The safer options usually operates in more open less risky zones.

Depending on how the guild operates to get its lower ranking members more upgrades it can also be a disaster, and be really time consuming for those that want to move on to like a Danger World Level 2 and not stuck babysitting new members. There will be many people scheming against one another.

"Ah, being a solo player is the best, I am not restrained by any obligations. Though, there are times I would need to party up, that is rare for me." Said Roger as he continued munching on his breakfast. 

"Buzz, Buzz, Buzz"

Roger picked up, his phone off the table and answered the call.

"Hello, who is it? This better not be another one of those scam call! Otherwise I am going to be hanging up on you!"  

"Yo!, It's me your buddy Issac."

"Click"

As soon as he heard that he closed the call and continued eating. 

A few moments later.

"Buzz, Buzz, Buzz."

"How mean!"

"You deserve it. Now, what do you have to say?"

"I am here to tell you the good news, my device set, is set to arrive tonight!" 

"How is that good news? I just told you, that I am going to be upgrading for 2 days."

Roger gave himself a facepalm, in fact he nearly wanted to do a table flip, on the table he was eating at. 

On the other side of the phone call, Issac started whistling.

"Um, I didn't forget." 

"Ah, fine in a day and a half, head to the Volcano Region where I am at. In the mean time familiarize yourself with your new body, you will need to. Remember to add me on your friend's list my name is Roger."

"Will do!" 

"Call has ended."  

...

"Well, I have the whole day to myself, absolutely nothing to do once again."

Sitting on his chair, he suddenly thought of something he hasn't done in a while.

He got out from his chair and got dress.

But what was different this time was, that he putted on 2 face coverings. A pair of goggles and a face mask. Not only that he was also wearing gloves. 

He grabbed his bag and stuff it in with all types of things. After he was done packing. He headed out from his apartment building.

On his way out he saw the building manager. He waved his arm saying.

"See, you later manager." As he rushed out of the building's door. 

The manager was shaking his head in a disappointing fashion.

"He should really stop wearing that get up."

Roger got on the train and headed to the city. Even though Roger can be considered rich now, but truth to be told, he never once felt like he was. He was still just a penny pinching middle age man in his 30s.

Even with such advancement such as flying cars, mass transportation still currently remains as the dominate mode of transport. Flying cars are not excessively expensive, but a normal person still wouldn't be able to afford one. 

During his ride on the train, people were all giving him strange looks and whispering about him. 

They looked at him like he was some kind of crazy person, some even wanted to call the law enforcement on him. But it wasn't like he was doing anything wrong. So it had never gotten that far.

"Mommy, what is he wearing?" Pointed a little kid.

"Sheesh, don't stare." Said the mom. 

Though many things were said about him quietly. Roger didn't really care about any of that and continued on. 

After walking about another 30 minutes on foot he finally arrived at his destination. 

It was a small building. But many sounds could be heard coming from within the building.

He opened up the door. A bell could be heard after he opened it up.

"Ring, Ring Ring."

As soon as he entered through the door. He was greeted. 

"Welcome... Ah!" 

The greeter was noticeably shocked at the site of Roger. Panic by the sight of Roger the greeter almost fell. Right before being caught by the hand by Roger.

"Meow, Mo..ew... Meow!"

Startled by the commotion, the cats scattered from left to right and right to left.

"Oh, so sorry about that. Thank you, very much for catching me." 

"Don't worry about that it was my fault in the first place."

That is right the place that Roger had entered was a Cat Café. It was filled with cats, on the floor, on the tables and even on higher up places.

This was the place that he hasn't been to in a while. The whole reason why he was wearing such a get up was because he was allergic to cats. But he simply adored them and didn't mind the trouble he had to go through to interact with them.

He would always came in during off hours not only so that he wouldn't disturb anyone but he would nearly have the whole place to himself. In fact he had already memorize the name of every cat in the building.

"Thump, thump, thump" A person could be heard coming from the back of the café. 

"I heard a commotion, what happened?" It was the café owner speaking.  

Waving it off as nothing Roger said "Ah, it is nothing. I just gave the greeter a little startle."

"Oh, Mr. Roger it is you. Sorry about that, the greeter is new. Call me if you need me for something." Said the owner as they headed back.

He was then brought to a table by the greeter.

"Sorry about that, what would you like?"

He thought about it while petting a cat.

"Meowww" "Puuuur" 

"Yes, Yes, I understand Blackie. I will do just that."

"Get me a cup of coffee." He told the greeter, while shouting.

"Hey, Owner!"

"Yes?"

"Bring out all the cat nip! and cat food! Today the cats are partying!"

"You being serious?"

"Yes!, I just sent you 1,000 credits! Beep!" 

On the other side of the building.

"Woah Roger was being serious."

The owner started bringing out cans and cans of cat nip for all if the cats.

"Meow!, Meowww!, Meooowww!" 

Roger played with the cats all the way until the store had to close with the toys he brought the cats.

By the end of it all, his eyes were swollen, and he was itchy all over. But he only had one thought.

"Worth it!"   

That day he crashed hard on his bed.

He woke up late in the afternoon the next day and ate before logging back in.

Appearing from the upgrade cabin once again, but this time when he came out, he was greeted by a familiar and slightly unfamiliar sight of Issac.

"You are late."

3