Chapter 11 The Cetos
25 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Every creature’s fates are already written down the moment they are born. But alas, I hoped fate would not be too cruel”

-Zula, Elder Seer of the Cetos tribe

 

Coming out of the cave were three tall humanoid figures that stood tall at the height of 8 meters. They had the form of a well-toned human with tall height but they also had amphibian-like traits, including fins, webbed feet, and gills on the side of their neck as well as the sides of their chest. The Cetos had long tail fins on their head and finned appendages on their arms and legs. They differ in colors but all were quite amazing to look at. The tallest one had turquoise colored scales and bright yellow fins. The other two had the same color of deep blue scales but with different fins. The one on the right had purple long fins while the other had folded mint colored fins. The Cetos didn’t wear clothing since they didn’t have any private parts to hide but they did have plates of silver armor on their shoulders and waist. Beautiful silks hang on their body like decorations on their chest and lower legs.

The former image of a tuna on legs with human arms was wiped from his mouth and he was left gawking at the humanoid creatures. He heard his traitorous friend snickering beside him and clearly enjoying seeing him so surprised. William pulled his sight away from the Cetos to elbow Ignia. The girl stopped snickering but she still hasn't wiped that smug grin on her face. He himself was flush red from remembering how he rudely described the Cetos.

William saw the Cetos that had arrived and looked at them with confusion. It was obvious that they were expecting a group of adults with goods that are ready for trading, not a human kid along with an adolescent Sephiroth.

“Excuse us sires but we’re not here for a trade. We’re here for some more troubling matters. The name endowed to me by my father, Chief Azol, is Ignia Falco. My companion over here is William Woods, a human who has accidentally come upon our realm. We are here in need of the help of your Elder Seer as I predict that his presence must have something to do with the problem currently arising”

Ignia bowed slightly in front of the Cetos as a greeting and politely explained their situation. William was surprised that she had said that he might be involved in the spreading of the Abyss and that the Cetos knew about the matter. Sensing what he might have been thinking, Ignia pulled him over to hastily whisper in his ear.

“We need a good reason for them to let you in, especially in these busy times. Plus I'm pretty sure you do have a connection with the spreading of the Abyss since the darn creature it harbors tried to kidnap you specifically. Now hush”

The three Cetos stood still for a while and talked among themselves before coming up to an agreement. The tallest Ceto, the one with turquoise scales, walked towards them and greeted them with a bow.

“The Elder Seer Zula has been waiting for your arrival. We shall escort you inside”

Soon, they were brought inside the cave. The domain where the Cetos lived was underwater so it was hard to enter without any help from the Cetos since in order to breathe underwater, a special plant was needed to be eaten. A handful of the plant if eaten could let Non-Cetos breathe in the water for a day and protect their skin from the waters.

After he ate the plant, he was waiting for Ignia to do the same but the older teen shrugged and leaned towards the cave walls with no signs of eating the plant. It was just then that he realized that she had no intention of joining him in the Cetos domain.

He pleaded with his friends but she explained that they might accept him inside but they definitely won’t do the same with her. She also reasoned that feather and water don't mix and that he’ll be fine as long as he tells the elder all about what she had told him.

William was scared and sad to part from his friend to enter an unknown domain but Ignia had promised him that the Cetos were really loving towards children so he would be fine. He then reluctantly followed the three Cetos under the water while looking back at Ignia’s figure that was still leaning on the cold grey walls of the cave.

While swimming in the Azure Lagoon with the three Cetos helping him, he observed the underwater community. He was absolutely stunned by how beautiful the domain was. It was like a simpler and smaller version of the world renowned Atlantis that he had heard in legends of his realm.

The architecture is intensely symmetrical with a beautiful, holy geometry, there is a critical integration of water within the architectural setting. Different buildings made from corals and stones were built in different heights, a place that looked like the main plaza was located in the heart of the city and there lay was a big statue of a Cetos with a spear in hand. The whole domain was like a jewel encased in a palm, a palm made from corals bursting with colors and shapes. The Cetos with mint colored fins told him that they were headed to the temple where the Priests and Elders lived.

The trip took a couple of hours and before even 10 minutes had passed, he already wasn’t able to swim anymore so he was left with no choice but to be held in the arms of the tallest Zora and carried towards the temple. He was completely ashamed of being treated like a child despite being fourteen, but looking at the pleased expression of the Cetos holding him he was probably a baby in their standards considering his height.

When William arrived at the temple he was again amazed by the domain’s structure. The temple was made from white and pearly stones. He observed the graceful, curvilinear stonework, the open-air pavilions with the stones itself casting light. The whole domain was lit up brightly by the glowing orbs that were connected to the buildings along with some stones that also glowed in luminous colors.

He was led inside and placed in a wide hall that was held together by tall spiraling columns of carved white stones.

There he was made to wait for the appearance of the Chief and the Elder Seer.

William waited nervously for the presence of the two important figures of the Azure Lagoon. But thankfully or maybe not, the two Cetos arrived soon after.

The Chief has the same body structure as the previous Cetos he had met but was much larger, taller, and colorful. The long tail fin in his head resembled a shark and the Ceto’s scale was colored bright red, his fins were the colors of yellow and green. He wore more silver armor on his body than the Cetos before and along with the Silver armory were delicate gold crafts that were embedded with jewels. Silk the color of vivid cerulean and lilac hang from his shoulders towards his waste. He looked much more at the role of a highly valued leader than the Sephiroth Chief.

Although he knew not to tell that in front of Ignia, the man was her father after all.

The Elder Seer, on the other hand, looked like an old being that has seen most of what the world could offer. He didn’t know much about Ceto biology but he was pretty sure the old Ceto was female. Unlike the Chief whose tail fin resembled a shark, the elder seer looked more like a Grouper, with her rounded tail and spiny dorsal fin. She was also the color of cedar with spots of white. She didn’t wear any silver armory but opted for a large robe made from white silk. The elder seer named Zula carried an air of wisdom and kindness on her.

Cloudy olive eyes watched under him with an equally curious expression as he.

“I have received the vision of a dark future where the Eldritch of the Abyss rises and swallows the Hollow Woods with fury and misery in its soul. But with you, your presence changes that. Oh, young child from the other realm, what secrets do you hold for the Eldritch to ache for you as it does? You might not know and neither do I, but what I perceive is that things will be as it is, when you find your way back. No need to tell me what you have experienced for I know, same with the Eldritch! but I’m afraid he knows much more than I ever will. Now come sit here child. Let me tell you how you can find your way back”

William then proceeded to listen as Zula enlightened him on how he would be able to go back to his realm. He was shocked to know that the elder Ceto was a real Seer that could see to the future. But she corrected him and said that she could only perceive small pieces of what the future holds and that only happens when important events will occur. The Chief of the Cetos also quietly listened to the Elder Seer with respect in his eyes towards the older Ceto. It was clear that Zula was greatly respected by the Cetos.

It was then revealed to William much to his dismay that the portal that could send him back to his realm was located in the heart of the Abyss. He could barely manage to hold back his dismay and fear that he would never be able to return home. William doesn’t know what the creature, he now knows as the Eldritch, wanted with him. But it couldn't be good for him.

But thankfully the Elder Seer had given him a rainbow moonstone pendant that she said could ward off the negative effects of the Abyss temporarily. She said that when he wears it then it could only protect him for a single moon's cycle which means a single day. He was already very grateful for the information given by the Elder Seer but the gift of the pendant almost brought him into tears.

William finally had hope in returning home and he wasn’t going to lose it.

After the meeting with the Elder he was given a place to stay and rations for his travels. The Cetos urged him to stay for a night’s rest but he insisted on going now because Ignia was waiting for him outside. The Cetos understood his worries and led him back to the entrance of the Azure Lagoon.

When he finally got out of the water, he was excited to tell Ignia about the portal and the pendant when he noticed that she wasn’t there.

He walked outside of the cave towards the shores of the Lagoon where he saw Ignia’s properties were. The pots were already placed above unlit coals and the ingredients for the soup ready to be cooked but she wasn’t there.

But what he did see was a cluster of familiar brown feathers drenched in blood on the ground and the sight of the former green forest gone, replaced with the dead monstrosity of a forest.

The Abyss had spread and Eldritch had taken its revenge.

0