Chapter 6
38 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mateo had suspicions as to why he kept going in and out of consciousness, he also began to wonder why his mental activity was beginning to slow down, he often found himself incorrectly remembering past events or sometimes he'd completely forget about a fact and confuse it with another. His mind was basically filled with fabrication, he couldn't make sense of it. There were only a specific amount of memories that remained strong inside his head, memories of his mother, pictures of his father, friends, John, Mr. Hopkins, his first love, his first dog, graduation and the like. These were the types of memories being replayed in his subconscious realm, however some memories of his daily life were being ripped apart and stitched together with lies and half-truths. He caught himself doing this when he suddenly remembered John being injured by a hammer that was thrown at him by a blonde Scandinavian but that was wrong he thought. He struggled hard to clearly remember the exact train of events that actually occurred, it only came to him a few days later that it was a dropped hammer that injured John instead of it being thrown at him. He speculated that he was undergoing a specific change to accommodate his grown mind into the body of a small baby, a part of him blamed the irresponsible God which put him into a random situation but he knew better not to be ungrateful to the existence that brought him back to life.

Mateo was on the right track in terms of what was happening to him. His brain was basically undergoing hibernation in an effort to reach normal homeostasis. It wouldn't make sense for a baby to contain a fully developed brain the moment he/she went out of pregnancy. This was the primary reason as to why Mateo immediately became lethargic when he opened his eyes. His brain reacted to the stimulus which was an abnormal amount of brain activity overflowing the capacity of its small vassal, it was basically shutting itself down much like turning a computer on and off in order to refresh the excessive activity thus 90% of his memories have been sealed, suppressed or completely eliminated to compensate for the development of the child's brain. Another side effect of this was a slow mental response to everything around him. His body was just protecting itself from the abnormal changes occurring to itself thus it took immediate responses in order to maintain a regular development, fortunately for him, everything was under control or else he would've remained in a vegetative state unable to function properly, basically a potato.

After percieving the changes happening to himself, Mateo was frightened, he didn't wish for his memories to become effectively obsolete as he would lose a huge part of himself. He felt that the existence of the man known as Mateo Reiner was slowly deteriorating into nothingness, maybe this was why he kept replaying memories in his head out of fear that they would be forgotten and in turn he too would become nothing, a natural instinct?. He wished that everything was back to normal, he wished that he stayed at home on the night he died so he would never meet that grinning man, he wished for a normal life, he'd like to live his life knowing his mother would've been proud of what her son has accomplished in life, he wondered what real love would've been like maybe have a couple of kids with a beautiful wife, a nice car so he doesn't have to walk down shady streets and a nice home on the slopes of a mountain overlooking a grand city so that he would never have to climb a hill of eyes. "Maybe in this life i can do all the things that i want to do and more but mother would you really be proud of me, unknown to you that your son is still alive and well somewhere in the vast universe?", he opened his innocent eyes, looked up and saw that beautiful smile, he asked with uncertainty,"Can you even be considered my mother?", crimson hair, hazel eyes as bright as the sun leaned closer and then a soft warm sensation on his forehead told him that it was okay and that he was still loved. A gentle tear fell from his left eye, a farewell to his past life and a welcoming for his new life, "I suppose you are".

 

[ 6 YEARS LATER ]

11th of Aprílios (April), Kyriakí (Sunday), 834 (Year)

"Apollo, come, let me hear of your studies" hearing his name being called, Mateo quickly hid his diary underneath a stack of his own clothes in his wardrobe, "Coming mother". 'Apollo' was the name given to him by his new parents, he took a liking to the name since it was the same as the Greek God of the Sun and Light, he was interested in this name and wondered if there was a God named Apollo in the current world he resided in however, disappointed he found that there were no correlation between his name and a god of this world, it was just by coincidence. What was more baffling was that his brother was named Hermes while his sister was called Ares and again there were zero correlation between their names and a God. He pondered for awhile as to why his parents are coincidentally naming their children after Greek Gods, maybe its part of some sick joke made by THAT God. Shaking his head, he briskly moved his little legs towards his mothers study, just as he exited his room, he smacked his head against a leg?, "Good evening, Master Apollo", a tall, well-built, dark haired man in his mid-thirties bowed in front of Apollo, he had grey eyes interestingly enough, a suave mustache and thick eyebrows. Rubbing his forehead, he looked up at the towering man, "Alfred, must you always stand right outside my door?", as if he wasn't surprised, the man answered in a deep voice, "I am sworn to carry your burdens, Master", saying that, Apollo felt a chill down his spine as if he were up in the cold North, "Right, mother called for me, ill see you later Alfred". As if he was insinuated on being dismissed by the young master, Alfred respectfully surveyed the young lad and his surroundings before walking into the kitchen on his own.

Apollo knocked on the door to his mothers study, "Mother, you asked for me" as he opened the door, there he saw a fair woman with glasses sitting in front of an expensive ebony desk, hair tied writing on some pieces of parchment with a quill and ink. His mother's name was Helaine, a successful merchant in the mining and food industry. Her lucrative business along with her husbands influence have placed House Heimarch to a higher degree than its previous predecessors. She was considered an 'upper mid-tier' merchant across the country of Eretrios. "Come here, show me what you've learned from your tutor" said his mother, gently tapping her lap beckoning him to sit there. Apollo walked unhurriedly towards his mother and swung both his hands upwards in a 'pick me up' manner, his mother simply smiled and carried him onto her lap before pulling out a blank parchment on the desk. She dipped a quill in ink before handing it over to Apollo, "Show me your progress on Eretrian caligraphy". Carefully grasping the quill, Apollo wrote boldly in a slow but refined manner, "My name is Apollo Heimarch, I am age 6, beneficiary to Count Tyranir Heimarch" was written on the parchment on the top left area. The writings on the page imitated what seemed to be an elvish/arabic inspiration, every country had its own unique way of writing and in this case, Apollo was brought up in the language of Eretrios. Surprisingly enough, it was easy for Apollo to learn the language of Eretrios and he quickly overcame the previous language barrier that impended his progress, it was difficult at first but having been learning it for 4 years, it became easier and easier. After all, it was easier to learn a new language as a child surrounded by it. Another reason as to why he learned it as quick as he did was through the use of the system.

1