Chapter 5 – I – Eris likes to eat
369 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5 - I - Eris likes to eat

 

The rain just kept on falling…

 

I lost track of how many days had elapsed since the start of this downpour.  It just went on endlessly, though with varying amounts of rainwater.  I thought it had been long since the sun had last shown its face on the skies of Chersea.

 

Ugh…this sucked,” I muttered to myself.

 

Well, I couldn’t help it.  I got nothing else to get busy with save to kill time by reading books at the library.  However, I’m already exhausted.  I had enough books for the meantime, even if I love those.  So instead of reading I just sat here at the edge of my bed, staring at the rain outside, with my mind empty of anything.

 

This world is peaceful…

 

“…”

 

Contrary to the fantasy novels I’ve read before, the land of Chersea had no demon army invasions, nor powerful monsters appearing from time to time and causing havoc.  For short, this place was an ideal adventurer’s stopover for rest, and also their worst nightmare.

 

Yep, I figure that they’ll lose their jobs the moment they settle in this land.

 

Hmm…I don’t get what you’re thinking about, Kuro.  But I guess I’ll take that as a compliment.” Her Holiness the Saint of Chersea had a sardonic smile.  She read my mind once again.

 

Err…which part, Your Holiness?”

 

“The part where you thought it’s too peaceful.”

 

“I see.”

 

Well, it was a compliment indeed, though with a minor complaint added as well.  

 

But wait, what are you guys doing in my room?

 

“As you can see, my head maid likes it being here lately.” Her Holiness explained; her sarcasm never disappearing from her tone, “Not that I’m angry; I’m just curious what makes her do that.  So, I came along.”

 

“Your Holiness…” it was the Head Maid, “I thought we already talked about this.  As I’ve told you before, I’d want to spend my free time serving Mister Kuro as thanks for what he did to me before.  However, I’d like to reiterate that I am still your faithful servant.  In matters of precedence, I’d choose you over him.”

 

Hmph.  Good to hear that.”

 

Heh.  Her Holiness’ face reeked of jealousy.  But wait—what’s the deal about ‘serving me’?  I haven’t agreed to anything like that before!

 

“Kuro, are you saying that you won’t accept Lily’s feelings for you?”

 

“Ha?” I spat the tea I was drinking, “F-feelings?”

 

“Your Holiness!” the Head Maid suddenly raised her voice; her face was blushing terribly.

 

“Come now Lily!” the Saint retorted, her face looked at her servant as if she couldn’t believe what she’s hearing, “You know I don’t like dense guys; I’m thinking of incinerating him if he rejects—”

 

“Awawawawa!” the blushing Head Maid waved her hands and muttered nonsensical words that drowned the Saint’s voice.

 

Honestly, they look cute to me.

 

“Oi.” Her Holiness glared at me, “I know I’m a perfect being, but if you play with Lily’s feelings, I’ll be more than glad to turn you into ashes.”

 

Sorry, Your Holiness.

 

I knew the Head Maid’s acting like that because she treated me like her brother.  There’s no way I will attract a girl in her right mind.

 

“You…You dense idiot…”  I saw the hand of Her Holiness glow in flames.

 

I have to get out now, bye!

 

 

Good day, Mister Defender of Her Holi—!”

 

“It’s Kuro.”

 

“Good day, Mister Kuro!” the one that greeted me was no other than the captain of Her Holiness’ Paladin Corps, uh…what is her name again?

 

Err…good day I guess, uh…” I tried to remember it but nothing came to my mind, save for… “Monmon?”  I knew they pronounced her name along with those sounds, and it’s really simple, I forgot it easily.

 

“That’s mean, you know?” the captain of the guard replied, crying fake tears, “How could you forget the name of a beautiful maiden like me?  

 

“Sorry.”  

 

Hey, it’s not like I intend to do it, unlike you, who keeps on calling me sordid nicknames.  So just tell me your name already.

 

“I’m Dusis Luisa, the Marquise of Monfort.” she grinned as she stood before me, chest out, “Just call me Dusis, or Luisa, whichever you may prefer.”

 

“I’ll call you Monfort, then.”

 

“That’s rude!” the Marquise looked at me as if I did something unbelievable, “Aren’t we close already?  Together, we defended Her Holi—”

 

“Monfort’s easy to remember, though.” I cut her off mid-sentence, for I didn’t want to hear that stupid nickname she’s assigned to me.  So, I guess this is my revenge?  “And I don’t remember you fighting that thief together with me.”

 

“I was with you, in spirit though.

 

“Nonsense.  You don’t even know about me back then and arrested me.”

 

Uuu…can’t you take a joke, dude?” the Marquise couldn’t find anything to say back to me.

 

Ah, anyway!  If you’re looking for Her Holiness, she’s back in my room together with the Head Maid.” I explained to the Marquise of Monfort, to steer-away from that stupid talk, “She’s kind of ill-tempered for now, so I went for a walk to let her cool off for a while.”

 

Oh, she is?” the Marquise nodded, “Hm…she’s been like that for quite a while.  But well, it’s pretty normal of her, so I guess there’s nothing much to worry about.”

 

The Marquise may have a point; after all, the Saint was still human; thus, she was prone to a few irritating moments.  But since it seemed like Her Holiness and the Head Maid would stay around my room for a while, I took a break from their company and went around…

 

Yeah, I like to be alone in the meantime.

 

“Anyway Kuro, I’m looking for someone.” Lady Monfort revealed, as she looked around, “Did you come across a little maid around here with red hair?”

 

Hm?  I just came from my room, and I have seen no one like that on the way here.”

 

Strange…where could’ve she gone?” Lady Monfort muttered to herself while in deep-thoughts.

 

“Got any problems with that maid, milady?

 

“Well, it’s not a problem per se…” Lady Monfort’s thoughts drifted away again, “I’m more like, following her.”

 

“Ha?”

 

“Oh no!” the paladin captain fiercely shook her head, “No!  NO!  Let’s say I’m watching her.”

 

Isn’t that stalking, Marquise?

 

“Don’t look at me like I’m some criminal, I’m just tracking her every move.”

 

“It’s the same as stalking, you know.”

 

“It is?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Damn…” the Marquise clicked her tongue, “No wonder why she’d run away from me like that.”

 

Well, of course, anyone will.  Which person, in their right mind, will want to be under surveillance for the entire time?

 

“I should’ve hidden then.  Thanks for the suggestion, Mister Kuro.”

 

I think this paladin doesn’t know the meaning of stalking.  And based on her speech, did she follow that poor maid in broad eyesight?  It’s no question that girl would freak out, then!

 

Ah anyway, Mister Kuro, I think I’m taking too much of your time.” the Marquise of Monfort bowed for a bit and then waved her hand, “If you’ll excuse me, I guess I’ll go to Her Holiness and ask for help in searching for that girl.”

 

“Ahaha…” I let out a dry laugh; I couldn’t say anything about that, “Good luck with your stalking—I mean, search, then.”

 

Oh lord, that maid surely is screwed.

 

 

Anyway, I continued on my tour.  Pondering about the Saint’s recent behavior, I thought Her Holiness was in a foul mood.  I mean, look, she’s not being ‘her’.  The usual haughty, conceited, and spontaneous Saint that summoned me.  If I may describe her in one word, I’d say she’s boorish.

 

I wonder what made her mood go off like that…

 

Hey, I get it; she’s jealous about the attention the Head Maid was giving me.  Even so, Her Holiness was not like that before.  Or did I just assume wrong about her real self?  Is she that attached to her servant?

 

Maybe I should’ve asked the Head Maid to stop giving attention to me.  I mean, yeah, her job’s all about the well-being of the Saint, and I’m just a stowaway from another world.

 

Why did the Head Maid even bother with me, anyway?

 

“…”

 

Oh great, now where am I?

 

Honestly, even though I’m staying here for quite a long time now, there’s still that chance for me to get lost inside this guest house where I’m at.  Well, I only knew the path from the main entrance to my room, and vice versa.  But yes, I didn’t take the time to explore this vast building.

 

Maybe this is a good time to do it?  After all, I could always find my way back since this place was much smaller than the Saint’s palace.  Plus, it’s not like there’d be anything weird that would happen to me while I walked around…

 

Notwithstanding those black rain clouds outside setting the heavy mood…

 

And that occasional roar of thunder and flash of lightning…

 

And I’m all alone in this wide, dark, and cold corridor…

 

Damn, my brain played that scary church organ background music.  Wait, when did this stupid ‘Isekai’ story turn into horror?

12