Chapter 8 – III – 
297 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8 - III - 

 

Welcome to the Holy Frills Diner!”

 

Err…that’s quite a name.  Looks like the owner put much thought into coming up with it.

 

Anyway, it was a small restaurant.  The girls who served were wearing frilly uniforms, thus the name of the restaurant.  However, what called my attention was that macho man in a frilly dress behind the counter further in.

 

Ah, welcome, Miss Eris!” the macho man greeted.

 

“Hello, Mister Ricardo!” Eris chirped back, “By the way, he’s the owner of this place, Mister Kuro.”

 

Ricardo’s deep baritone voice and serious expression didn’t match his words, nor his frilly, fancy dress.  I mean, it felt like he’s threatening us more than welcoming.  Add the eyepatch, bulging muscles, and a big scar on his face, it looked like we’re talking to a veteran mercenary than a restauranteur.

 

“Mister Ricardo’s also a former mercenary.” Eris added, “But he took an arrow to the knee, so he had to retire.”

 

“Oh…”  Isn’t that a little Todd Howard-ish?

 

Ricardo laughed, “Well, that’s all behind me now.  I don’t want to wake up in another cart with prisoners and getting attacked by a dragon on the way…”

 

Damn…Todd Howard, you did it again!

 

“So anyway, Eris…” Ricardo took an eyeful of me, “Who’s the guy?  Your man?”

 

Err…ah, n-no!” Eris was quick to deny, “M-mister Kuro is just a friend.”

 

Oh…well, every love story starts with being a friend.” the former mercenary countered.

 

My companion fell silent; her face was beet-red.  Uh, you don’t need to get pissed as much as that, Eris…

 

Ah, anyway, please have a seat as usual, Miss Eris!”

 

Eris then led me to her favorite spot in that restaurant, passing through several tables filled with other customers.  Some of which were looking at us; it must be because of the disparity between our height and ages.  

 

I mean, I’m a young adult and Eris just looked like my little sister.

 

“!!!” I felt Eris jerked suddenly.

 

“What happened?” I asked her, “You okay?”

 

“Eris felt someone touched her b-butt.”

 

“Eh?” I turned around and saw a bunch of armed people looking lecherously in our direction, particularly at Eris.  That one’s a human, and two were elves…and they didn’t have a pleasant air around them.

 

“Nice pick, dude!”

 

“How’s her ass?”

 

Uh…these guys.  I could see the fear in Eris’ eyes; clearly, that’s where her distrust for men came from.  I, being the more mature one, should protect her.  

 

And damn, looks like this world has no child-protection laws…

 

“Hey!” I came to the table of those who touched Eris.

 

“Who’s the shrimp, Gio?” the elf asked their human companion.

 

“I dunno…all I see is a wimp.

 

They all mocked and laughed at us.  They were drunk and armed.  And I don’t like their attitude either…

 

“…”  

 

Wait, wasn’t this the generic ‘Isekai’ early scenes where the protagonist gets involved with the bad guys and shows his overwhelming powers by kicking their asses?  Hoo…I think I should man up and show them what I could do!

 

“What do you want?” the human drunk gruffly asked.

 

“You owe Eris an apology!” was what I should’ve said, but I contented myself with, “Uh…shouldn’t you…uhm, s-say sorry for my companion?”  Hey, don’t judge me; it’s difficult to confront aggressive and armed assholes, you know.  I’m just an old teacher until recently; of course, I don’t know how to fight them.

 

“Apology?  What for?”

 

Uh…err…y-you inappropriately touched h-her.”

 

“And so?”

 

“S-say sorry?  P-please?” Oh god, I look pathetic.

 

“What’s your name, kid?”

 

“Me?  I’m Kuro.”

 

Hmm…and my name’s Gio.” I could feel the threatening aura coming from the drunk human, “Kuro…”

 

“G-Gio!”

 

“Instead of running away, you’re coming right to me?”

 

“I can’t beat the shit out of you without getting closer.”

 

Oh ho!  Then come as close as you like.”

 

MUDA!  MUDA!  MUDA!  MUDA!  MUDA!

 

ORA!  ORA!  ORA!  ORA!  ORA!  ORA!

 

We fiercely exchanged punches…at least, through the air.  I didn’t want to come that close to him; he’s so drunk he couldn’t walk properly towards me.

 

“…”

 

Uhh…really, we look stupid.

 

“Za Warudo!  (The World!)” Gio jumped and unleashed his power against me.

 

“Nani?” I blurted out.  Then someone grabbed me.  Turning around, I realized the human drunk’s elven companions restraining me.

 

“That’s enough dude!”

 

“Yeah, stop that!  Gio’s already knocked down!”

 

Oh, sorry…”

 

Err…how’d that even happen?

 

“Gio hit his head on the table after jumping and fell unconscious.  So, we are going in his stead!” the elves were about to reach out for their weapons when…

 

“Hey you two!” it was Eris; she already had her wand drawn against them, “Don’t move or Eris will burn you to cinders with her magic.”  The surrounding miasma became so thick that it was hard to breathe.  Her eyes glared overwhelmingly, that they trembled in fear.

 

“I’d walk away if I were you.”

 

It was Ricardo, who already intervened, “Aside from bothering other customers, that girl you’re dealing with is a maid from the Holy Palatial Gardens.  You don’t want to incur the wrath of the Human Saint, do you?”

 

“We’re sorry!” the elves quickly grabbed the fallen Gio and scurried away.

 

 

E-Eris is sorry, Mister Ricardo!” Eris was bowing repeatedly before the macho-man when everything settled down.

 

“Ahahahaha!” Ricardo gave a hearty laugh, “This is the first time I saw you get angry after for so long, Duchess Braunhauer!  Don’t worry, I was watching the entire time and I know who’s in the wrong.”

 

Well, if you’re watching the entire time, why didn’t you intervene when things are escalating, macho man?  I thought of that but decided against speaking my mind.

 

Ah anyway…” Ricardo guided us to Eris’ favorite place, “Let’s forget those bad things and just enjoy eating, shall we?”  The moment he clapped his hands, a beastman—a girl from the Fox tribe—appeared with a pair of the restaurant’s menu in her hands.

 

“Please order anything you want, it’s on the house.” Ricardo winked at us before he left.  

 

I’m liking this guy.  I mean, not that ‘sort’ of like, but well…Ah, whatever!

 

And so, they left us alone in that part of the restaurant.

 

Well, this was a quite pleasant change of pace from the grandeur of the Holy Palatial Gardens.  The interior of this restaurant paled compared to the dining room of the Holy Chambers palace, but I like its simplicity.  Plus, the size of this place gave me that warm, cozy feeling that I hadn’t felt for a long time.

 

I feel nostalgic…

 

Uhh…Mister Kuro…” it was Eris, “Eris wonders what would you want to eat?”

 

Oh, sorry!” I’m too engrossed admiring the place that I forgot picking food, “Well, how about this one?”

 

“Eh?” Eris had a dismayed look on her face, “You want that?  Isn’t it the cheapest food here?”

 

Yeah, it is.  I precisely picked that because I didn’t want to be a burden to Eris.  Even though Ricardo said they’ll be giving us something for free, I knew Eris had a large part in that decision.  If I came here alone, I doubt he would even bother…

 

“Yes, two of these, please.  And a pair of this one too, I’ll pay for it, please tell Mister Ricardo.”  My train of thoughts got interrupted by Eris talking to a waitress, “There, I’ve already ordered our food, Mister Kuro.  Plus, some sides.”

 

“Thanks!”

 

“So that would be…” the waitress repeated our order, and wait…isn’t that the most expensive side item on the menu?  Two of them?

 

“One for you and one for Eris.” Eris lips drew a mischievous smile, “If Eris let you, you’ll be too considerate and thus, won’t be able to enjoy the food here that much.”

 

“But the payment…”

 

“Nope.  Eris doesn’t mind, actually.”

 

“I’d feel bad if I don’t—”

 

“As Eris told you before, it is thanks for saving her from her bullies.”

 

Err…thanks, I guess.”  

 

Eris, you’re too kind, you know that?

 

“Well, I hope you’re enjoying yourself, Mister Kuro.”

 

“I do!” I honestly told her what I felt, “In fact, I think I’m imposing too much on you.  It’s pretty embarrassing.  I apologize.”

 

Ah, please don’t Mister Kuro.” Eris was sad as she told me that, “Actually, Eris thinks that this is only a small token compared to what you did for her and Big sis Jessica.”

 

She’s a bitch, and you still think of her that way?  You’re kind, Eris…

 

“But Big sis Jessica already changed her opinion of you!” Eris was quick to retort, “She’s now actively convincing the other maids that you’re not a pervert like other men.”

 

Heh…as if I’d fall for that.  Well, it’s not that I had to oppose that bitch; I only needed to keep my guard up.  I may never know when Jessica might attack me once again.

 

“Eris believes that you’re a good guy, Mister Kuro.  The Head Maid believes you are, too.  Big sis Jessica and the other maids who hate you are also changing the way they think about you, as well.”

 

Nah, they’re just reading too much into my actions.  I guess I needed to drop the truth for Eris…

 

Hmm…you’re too naïve, Eris.” it’s my turn to explain, “If you believe I’m not a pervert or a good person, then you’re mistaken.  I’m a boy, so I’m interested in perverted things—there’s no normal guy in this world or the other that isn’t interested in that.  However, I put my urges and desires to their proper places.”

 

“…” Eris was silent.  Did her ‘nice guy’ vision of me crashed into pieces?  Sorry kid, the world—Earth or Chersea—isn’t as simple as you thought.  There are a lot of gray areas, no matter where you look.

 

“As Eris thought…” her gentle eyes focused on me, “You’re an honest person, too.”

 

Ha?  Did she understand what I just told her?

 

“Eris knows all men are like that, but Mister Kuro doesn’t act based on what he feels, so Eris feels much safer with him.”

 

Ooookay?  Aren’t you too trusting as well, Eris?

 

“That’s why…” Eris suddenly stood up and bowed, “Eris wanted to apologize for the trouble she caused you before, Mister Kuro.  Please forgive Eris and be her friend!”

 

“…”

 

It left me speechless; I’m too shocked to say anything.

 

Uh, Eris, aren’t we two friends already?

12