Chapter 11 – I – Kuro’s true power
278 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11 - I - Kuro's true power

 

After some time had passed, I found myself walking once again around the palatial gardens to change my pace.  Again, around this time, everyone in the palace—save for the guards—was already sleeping soundly.

 

I need to take in some fresh air, I thought.  And it’s a routine of mine, anyway.

 

Well, with the reward that Sir Simon gave me, I could now move into a new home I’m planning to buy for myself.  However, I still had to search for one, not to mention I also had that job contract with Mister Ricardo back in Arles.

 

I’m planning to work for him for at least one full season before moving on to the city of Kamran.

 

I sighed with relief.  Finally, I could begin my real adventures in this another world…

 

“!!!”

 

I quickly retreated to a more hidden place in the garden when I saw two figures come out of the Holy Chambers palace.  It was no other than the Saint and the Second Prince of Nerfes.

 

Wait, why am I even hiding?  It’s not like I’ve any intentions of eavesdropping on them!

 

“…”

 

I am eavesdropping!

 

I was surprised to see Her Holiness wearing a new dress—something that she doesn’t wear on regular days and differed vastly from the holy garb she’s usually clad with during holy services.  If I may say, that kind of dress was something a girl would only show to the man that made her heartbeat to appear more attractive.

 

And damn yeah, she is beautiful in that dress!

 

“…”

 

Well, fuck me, it looked like I stumbled on their ‘secret rendezvous’.  I better be careful slipping past them unnoticed.

 

“!!!” I immediately stopped in my tracks when I heard that familiar yet terrible sound of someone being slapped way too hard.  I rushed back to my ‘eavesdropping’ place.

 

“…”

 

I couldn’t make out what they were talking about, since they were conversing in low voices.  But somehow, I could see Sir Simon holding his face.  And Her Holiness’ eyes were watery, but she’s trying her best not to cry.

 

Yeah, that’s it, Your Holiness!  Don’t cry, you’re a big girl now.

 

“!!!”

 

The second prince tried to console her, but Her Holiness pushed him away.  What, am I watching an afternoon drama here?  And what the heck were you doing, Romeo?  You shouldn’t please Juliet with gentle approaches…

 

You have to fucking grab her tight and never let go, idiot!

 

Ahem.  Excuse me for getting carried away.

 

“!!!”

 

Suddenly, tears fell uncontrollably from Her Holiness’ eyes, and she was forced to run away.  Sir Simon and I had bewildered expressions on both our faces.

 

Looks like shit happened.

 

 

Man…talk about awkward.

 

It was all quiet when they were eating at the breakfast table in the courtyard.  The servants just kept on doing their jobs as usual, and the guards stood at attention not too far from the royals and Her Holiness.  The king of Nerfes and Sir Simon sat on the right side of the Saint, with the monarch taking the chair nearest her.

 

“Of course, I needed to prioritize the lives of my men, so I gladly took the attack of the Junki with my sword!”

 

King Rambo was the only one whose mouth just won’t shut up.  He kept on bragging about how he saved his men from a weak Junki’s attack, or how he used his skills with the sword to destroy the poor creature.  I guess he omitted the fact that he ended up injured because of his stupidity?

 

“…”

 

Come on King Rambo, have some feelings, will you?  Can’t you see Her Holiness isn’t in the mood to talk?  Even Sir Simon is getting embarrassed by your heroic nonsense!

 

I couldn’t bear to watch it, so I closed the windows of my room and went back to my business.  

 

“…”

 

Oi, Senshee, quit staring too much at those people.” I told off the slave boy, “Are they that interesting to you?”

 

Hmm…the human heart is complicated, huh?” Senshee muttered as if he’s in a trance.

 

“You alright dude?” I asked my companion, “Are you starving or what?”

 

Hmm?  You were talking to me, Master?” he went back to his clueless self.

 

“Well, you’re saying weird things, you know.” I checked on his head, “Did your head injury get worse?”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Master Kuro.”

 

“I’m telling you, I’m voiding our contract so quit calling me ‘Master’.  I’m Kuro and you’re Senshee; we’re equals.”

 

“That’s rather…”  Well, I could understand his circumstances.  Being a slave for most of his life, Senshee must’ve thought of calling another person by his given name as awkward.  

 

But hey, he’s a free man now, and he has to adapt to his new status.

 

“Come on, dude.” I slapped his back in a friendly manner, “I know you’re way younger than me, so it might create some grave misunderstanding.”

 

“Misunderstanding about what?”

 

“Nothing.  You’ll understand someday.” I changed the topic, “By the way, can I request something from you?”

 

“Ask away, Master—I mean, Kuro.”

 

“Can you get me these books from the library?  Just tell the maid there that you’ll bring those out to me; I got the permission of Her Holiness anyway, so you’ll be fine.”

 

“Right away, sir!” Senshee grabbed the book list and set out towards the library.  He’s such a handy guy, honestly.  And I was left alone in my room once again.

 

“…”

 

Dude…that scene at the garden lingered in my mind.

 

It was the first time I saw Her Holiness with such a sorrowful expression.  I felt pity for her every time I’m reminded that she couldn’t pursue a proper relationship with the person she loves because of her saintly duties.

 

Damn…did she even agree to this kind of arrangement?

 

“…”

 

I could only speculate.  But honestly, I wanted to help those two.  

 

If it’s about love problems, I guess my 25-year-old adult virgin self could help!

 

 

The second prince looked wretched when I chanced upon him, wandering alone near the library building.  I went out to check on why Senshee was taking so long to fetch the books I requested, but I guess this should be an excellent opportunity to talk to the prince about what had transpired between him and Her Holiness.

 

“How long have you been listening earlier, Kuro?” Sir Simon’s sad voice confronted me.  He knew I witnessed their scene.

 

Err…since you and Her Holiness came out of the Holy Chambers.  I was out for a walk when you appeared.  I don’t want to spoil your moment so I hid myself, Your Highness.”

 

Ah, I see…” Sir Simon’s mind seemed to drift, “I’m sorry you had to see that, but I sincerely wished you interrupted us.”

 

“It’s fine Sir.” I assured him, “Well if it’s too heavy for you to bear, you can tell me your problems so we can do something about it.”

 

Sir Simon then pondered on if whether to accept my offer.  He was awfully quiet that it eventually became too awkward to break the ice.  Fortunately, just as I was about to excuse myself, he spoke, “Maddie and I fought.”

 

Yeah, I just saw that.  No need to tell me, thank you.  But of course, I didn’t tell him that, or he’ll be further depressed.

 

“You see, Maddie, James, Lily, and I were originally childhood friends.” Sir Simon began his story with a return to his childhood years, “We were so close that everyone around us keeps on dubbing our group as ‘siblings’.”

 

Oh…so that explains why Her Holiness and the Head Maid are close.

 

“However, everything changed when Maddie got consecrated as the Human Saint.” the second prince had a nostalgic look in his eyes, “We were separated, with Lily going with Maddie and I was left with James.”

 

Dude, honestly, that sucks.  You are left with that edgy steroid boy…

 

“The only thing that didn’t change is Maddie’s feelings for me; she’s been in love with me for long.  And James’ feelings for Maddie, as well.  He’s been always too protective of her from other guys, even from me.”

 

So that explains that obnoxious guy’s behavior towards me!

 

“And partly because of that, I couldn’t answer Maddie’s feelings.”

 

“Partly?”

 

“Well, she’s the revered Saint, and I’m my country’s second prince.”

 

Oh…is it forbidden for Her Holiness to get married?”

 

“Not really.  It’s just that…”

 

“Hmm?” I think I knew where this was heading…

 

“I love someone else.”

 

Damn…I knew it.  Talk about a tragic love story.

 

Sir Simon continued on his narrative, “I told her earlier that I really can’t be with her, no matter how hard we both try.  It’s just difficult; I don’t want her to suffer because of me.  I never intend for my dear childhood friend to have false hopes anymore.”

 

Shucks.  If Her Holiness could just hear this, she’d be more depressed.  It’s difficult to be ‘friendzoned’ after all.  However, I could also understand Sir Simon; you couldn’t just twist your heart to love someone you had no feelings for.

 

Man, this is indeed complicated.

 

“…”

 

However, what if Sir Simon can see the good points of Her Holiness?  Will his heart waver towards her?

 

Ah, if I may ask, Sir Simon, what qualities attracted you to the person you like?” I asked him.

 

The second prince was visibly surprised when I put that question up for him.  He gave me a long stare, and his face blushed terribly, “Err…uh, it’s so sudden but I think I can answer it, Kuro.”

 

Heh, well this is for Her Holiness so I can wait, Sir Simon.

 

Uhm…what I liked about that person is…” the second prince was bashful, completely out of his usual character, “…his muscles.”

 

What?

 

“Those well-built pecs and biceps…oh, I can’t imagine myself being wrapped with those firm muscles.  His beautiful scars and stern face added to his sexy appeal…”

 

Hold on…is this Rambo?  You’re referring to King Rambo?

 

Oh, and by the way, James isn’t my brother.” Sir Simon was quick to explain, “I’m adopted into the royal family, see?”

 

Well, that conveniently solves the ‘siblings’ issue.  But wait—

 

“You’re a guy, right?” I anxiously asked.

 

“Yes, I am.  Why do you ask?”

 

“Nothing.”  Honestly, my conservative upbringing made it a surprise for me.  But then, I guess if he loved him, then who am I to judge?  “I hope your love triumphs over adversities.”

 

“Thank you, Kuro!” he brightened up, “To be honest, it’s only you who accepted it the first time I told someone about it.  For most of the time, all that I get is weird stares.”

 

I try to be open with every belief as much as possible…

 

“I’m so glad I’ve met someone like you!”

 

“Yeah, I’ll talk to Her Holiness and try to explain your situation,” I reassured him.

 

“Will you please do that, Kuro?  You’re the only one who can help me.”

 

“Don’t worry, I will do it.”

 

I offer you my condolences, Your Holiness.  Your love is doomed right from the start.

 

14