Chapter 12 – I – Her Holiness’ blues
260 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12 - I - Her Holiness' blues

 

Good morning, sir!”

 

“Ah, good morning!”

 

“Hello, sir!”

 

“What’s up, y’all?”

 

It’s been a long time since I last saw this familiar scenery.  A long corridor filled with students in their white uniforms, empty rooms with chairs and bags scattered everywhere, and my tired co-workers gathering around to take a well-deserved break in the faculty room…

 

I knew this is just another dream, but it brought out nostalgic memories…

 

I took a walk around my old school, which was quite small compared to a normal one back in my country.  Within a few minutes, I could go on a round trip several times in this place.  Yep, this school was tiny, where we even had to give our workspaces to accommodate more students coming in from other places…

 

However, this one is full of memories—good and bad—for me…

 

“…”

 

Hmm…I don’t know.  Maybe I got influenced by what that black-haired Saint, Natasha, told me about my ‘true power’.  That could be the reason I’m seeing this scenario once again.  She said I could use words to influence people, but I doubt that would be the case…

 

I mean, all of my co-workers are teachers too, don’t they have the same power as me?

 

“!!!”

 

I was surprised when someone bumped into me.  This should’ve been a dream, but I felt like this was all real…Such a vivid dream I’m currently having, huh?

 

Oh, sorry for hitting you, sir!” it was a girl who hit me.  Perhaps not looking on the way she’s going, I didn’t know.  But what I remember was, this student of mine was a good friend to me back when I was still on Earth.

 

“Alexa?  You alright, dude?” I asked her.  Pardon my speech; it’s just the way I talk to them.

 

Ah yes sir, I’m fine.”

 

“Watch out where you go, then.  It’ll be a pain in the ass if you hit your head on a pole and you became amnesiac.”

 

“Come on sir, you know it won’t be the case.” Alexa replied, laughing, “I have a thick skull, it will not be a problem.”

 

“I agree.” I sarcastically commented, “That’s why you and your classmates are real assholes…you have thick skulls!”

 

“Of course, sir!  We’re your students and we’re proud of it, you know!” Alexa playfully winked at me.

 

As a teacher, hearing those words from my students—no matter how ‘demonic’ they seemed to be—warms my heart.  Heck, it’s the reason I got into this low-paying, highly stressful job in the first place!

 

“Take care on your way around, Alexa!” I gently patted her head.

 

Alexa waved her hand at me as she walked away, “I will, sir…thanks!”

 

A power using words to influence people, huh?  I knew it’s possible, but I’m not the only one who wields it, you know?

 

“…”

 

Man, I miss my students.  I wonder how are they doing now…

 

 

To be honest, I got an uncomfortable feeling as I head to Her Holiness’ room.  For one, it wasn’t easy to talk about a failed romance with someone who’s been rejected by the man she loved and tried to harm herself because of it.

 

“…”

 

But I guess I had to help the Saint confront her failures and cope up with the pain.

 

Man, this is heavy.

 

I hesitated for a few moments before entering that huge wooden door leading to Her Holiness’ room.  I was about to knock when the door itself opened and out came Lily’s head.

 

Oh, Kuro!” she greeted me with a smile, but I could see that she’s got some eyebags, “Her Holiness told me you’re standing outside her room, so I took the liberty to open it.  You need something from her?”

 

“How is she?”

 

“Err…” Lily was apprehensive whether she would answer my question.  But she pleaded to me in the end, “Please, Kuro, Her Holiness is utterly dejected when that idiot, Simon, rejected her.  Can you at least talk some sense into our friend?”

 

“I’ll try to.”  Honestly, I’m not confident.  But I guess there’s no harm in trying.

 

Lily then let me in.

 

Oh Kuro!” it was the Saint, “You need something from me?”

 

I was startled to see her keeping up a strong front.  She was smiling—as if nothing happened, but her expression had a distinct feeling to it.  If I may say, I could feel the sadness coming out of her.

 

Uhh…Your Holiness—”

 

The Saint quickly cut into my sentence, “I know.  I can see into minds, Kuro.”

 

I fell silent.  I didn’t know how to put my thoughts into proper words.

 

“Please don’t pity me.” the Saint demanded, turning away from us, “I may be the Saint, but I’m still a human girl with feelings and pride, you know.”

 

“I understand, Your Holiness.” I answered, “But can I ask you one thing?”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Can you please stop reading my thoughts for a moment?”

 

Her Holiness stared at me, “Fine if that’s what you want.”

 

And so, I said what I had in mind, “Your Holiness, if I may speak …”

 

“You tell me to stop reading into your head and then the next moment you say you want to speak your thoughts?  Aren’t you full of contradictions, Kuro?”

 

Well, I guess I am, Your Holiness.  But I’ll try to help you, no matter what.  “I’m sorry, Your Holiness, but can you please listen to me for a bit?”

 

“…”

 

I took her silence for ‘yes’.

 

“First, I just want to say that you’re not alone.  Whenever you feel sad or dejected, Lily is here with you, or you can also talk to me if that’s alright.”

 

She remained unresponsive.  So I continued to speak.

 

“Second is, that second prince is a fucking asshole, you know.”

 

The room was filled with awkward silence.  Sir Simon was a good friend to Her Holiness and Lily, after all.  Of course, they wouldn’t want to hear some stranger from another world talk ill of their childhood companion.

 

Should I continue?  Well, no matter.  If they get angry, then so be it.

 

“You know why, Your Holiness?  You showered that guy with your love and devotion, yet he still has the guts to reject a beautiful girl like you!  We call that kind of person ‘asshole’ in my old world.  They don’t deserve a second life.”

 

“…”

 

I’m sorry, Sir Simon, it’s not that I hated you.  But situations like this one called for extreme measures…

 

“Kuro…”,

 

“Yes, Your Holiness?”

 

“Please…don’t call Simon like that.  He’s our good friend.” she pleaded, “Simon may be an insensitive liar and an idiot, but he’s our friend.”

 

“Yes, Your Holiness, I agree with that.”

 

“He may have loved someone else, but he’s our friend, alright?” the Saint’s voice was shaking; she’s about to cry again any minute now.

 

“Yep, I understand.  My apologies…” I sincerely apologized.

 

“I was wrong to have let my feelings get over me.” Her Holiness quipped.

 

Uh…I don’t think it’s a mistake, Your Holiness.” I gently rebuked her, “You’re human, and I believe that even if you’re a god, you can’t stop your heart from loving someone.  Please stop blaming yourself for something that is naturally happening.”

 

“But it hurts, Kuro…”

 

“Yes, it is, just like how it should be.  It’s proof that you loved that person.”

 

“Simon…”,

 

Although I knew I couldn’t properly console her, I gathered my courage and gave the Saint a head pat.  

 

Man, I guess I’m pathetic; it’s the only way I know in comforting someone.

 

“I’m sorry you have to destroy the only memento that you have from your world.” Her Holiness apologized for the old shirt that I used to put a tourniquet on her wound.

 

“It’s fine, it’s old stuff, anyway.”

 

“But still…”

 

“I’m telling you it’s okay with me.” And that’s the truth, anyway, “If you’re truly regretting what just happened, then I’ll ask you to keep yourself alive and well.  You can make amends to me if you did that.”

 

“Thank you, Kuro…”

 

Ah…you’ll be able to get over him soon, Your Holiness.” I assured her, “Just accept the reality that you’re hurt, and if you need to, change yourself for the better.  I’m sure you deserve a much better guy out there.”

 

The Saint fell silent.  Lily was beside her, consoling her quietly.  Tears were already flowing down from her eyes, though she’s trying her best to hold back.

 

“Your Holiness, I don’t think it’s a sign of weakness that you let yourself cry from time to time.” I suggested, “In fact, it can help you go through with your sadness.”

 

And so, with the two of us—Lily and I—keeping the Saint accompanied, Her Holiness the Great Saint of Chersea poured out her entire feelings in a heartfelt cry that lasted for quite long.

 

12