Chapter 12 – III –
260 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12 - III -

 

I think I should tell you a few more things.  After the departure of the Nerfes royals, the Saint had considerably withdrawn herself from the public eye for a while.  Perhaps she’s still grieving, I didn’t know.  But I guess she had all the rights to.  

 

It’s difficult to mend a broken heart, after all…

 

Meanwhile…

 

Hmm…I guess this would take a while.”

 

Drying clothes without the usual conveniences available to modern city-dwelling humans like a clothes dryer, or a spinner could be a hassle.  Chersea was a world that did not know ‘night’ and ‘day’; the only thing closer to that concept was the ‘long sleep’, which was the time when we take a long sleep (like what you do every night).

 

If I did the laundry, I’d have to check it from time to time to see if it’s dry and ready to use, or if it was still wet.  Add the temperate climate of the land, and you’d get a slow way of drying the clothes.  I thought it would take a while before I fully adjusted to this kind of lifestyle.

 

On the bright side, however, the ‘day’ was slow.  It’s the ideal vacation spot for any stressed-out employee from Earth, after dealing with obnoxious people like bosses, entitled clients, and toxic co-workers.  And because Chersea was in its medieval period, the air was fresh and cool.  The rolling hills and flat, green plains were a treat to the eyes.  Nearby streams could be a source of drinking water.  And the best part of it is, there were no dusty, dirty, and polluted urban centers like on modern Earth.

 

Having been summoned here isn’t all that bad…

 

Plus, I didn’t have to use torches and candles too often.  The Chersean sun—or whatever was that light up there—never sets; the only places you’d need an artificial light would be in your house’s interior if you decided to keep it dark.

 

So technically, I could go around the Holy Palatial Gardens arousing no suspicion.  Though the people of Chersea had the concept of ‘long sleep’, there was always a person who was awake in this place at any time of the ‘day’.  They could see whatever it was I’m doing in broad daylight.

 

“…”

 

Now, while waiting for my clothes to dry, I decided to take a walk and catch some fresh air.  By this moment, most of the staff of the Holy Palatial Gardens—including the Saint herself—were off to their dreamland.

 

I guess now’s an excellent opportunity to go around for a bit.  No one will come buzzing at whatever catches your interest; or worse, stalk and follow you wherever you go…

 

 

Anyway, just outside the manor where I was staying, there’s a forest nearby.  You see, the Holy Palatial Gardens was not only enclosed by defensive rings of wall and moat, but it’s also a place where one could mingle with nature.  And in that dense cluster of trees, a small spring flowed that was the primary source of fresh water supply.

 

I’m told that when the Holy Palatial Gardens compound was being expanded, the construction purposefully left that body of water untouched.  The Saint from that time believed that it was a sort of divine providence, a gift from the gods.  Something close to the Catholic church’s holy water.  Though honestly, I was thinking, what if someone messed with the stream somewhere along its stretch?  Wouldn’t the people here get sick?

 

“…”

 

Oh well, the water’s pretty clear, so I guess I can take a sip?  Anyway, I’m already drinking the water from the palace kitchen, so what harm can it bring to me?

 

I stooped low to scoop a bit and drink from my hands.  The cool sensation, coupled with the pleasant, open-air ambiance of the surroundings, made me thirstier.  Without further delay, I drank the water.

 

“Oh!”  Well, it was sweet.  Quite a nice source of spring water, eh?

 

Delighted by my discovery, I scooped once again for another round.

 

This is good!

 

“!!!”

 

My jolly moment came to an abrupt halt when I heard a splashing sound coming from upstream.  In that direction, the trees were growing in thick clusters, obscuring the sight.

 

“…”

 

Well, I didn’t know.  But from the splashy, watery noises themselves, it looked like someone entered this place and was at the water; either taking a bath or walking through the spring.  If that’s so, that wasn’t good.  I mean, who would take a bath at this moment?  Almost everyone was asleep!  Besides, there were a lot of bathtubs, augmented by two bathhouses inside the Saint’s Chambers Palace alone.  

 

Why will someone do it where she can be seen?

 

That made little sense.  So, with that, it can only mean one thing…

 

“A trespasser!”

 

That incident with the perverted thief was still fresh in my mind.  And since the Holy Palatial Gardens had a reputation of a ‘place filled with women’, it’s of no surprise that these sex-crazed maniacs would try sneaking in from time to time.

 

“…”

 

Back to the trespasser.  Carefully, I inched my way towards the sound.  I knew I couldn’t do much against a criminal who was capable of magic, but if I could pin him down long enough for help to arrive, I thought it’d be fine.

 

“…”

 

I finally found a hiding spot among the thick bushes and trees.  From my spot, I peered at the source of the suspicious sound.  However, what I saw was only a figure shrouded in white, in the very middle of the lake.

 

Perhaps this idiot is trying to obscure his face so that no one can know his identity.

 

I silently prayed that he won’t notice me as I positioned myself in a favorable condition and angle to launch an attack that would pin him down.  Then, once I made sure of my distance…

 

“I got you now!”

 

“!!!”

 

With all of my adrenaline pumping out, I grabbed the trespasser with all of my strength while pushing him desperately to the ground.  But there was no pinning down.

 

“!!!”

 

Instead, a soft, warm, and pleasant sensation embraced my head and my arms, which were wrapped around the criminal to keep him from escaping.  And then, what put a stop to my hopeless struggle was when the trespasser finally spoke.

 

“Goodness, you surprised me there, Kuro!”

 

“!!!”

 

Bewildered by the terrible realization of what I just did, I saw I was hugging Her Holiness the Saint, all in her naked splendor.

 

What the fu—

 

I quickly backed away in panic.  I didn’t want a return to that time when the maids here were always plotting against me.  

 

However, my efforts to escape went for naught.  In backing off, my feet slipped on the wet rocks, and I fell into the water.

 

Everything went dark.

 

 

Eventually, my consciousness returned.

 

When I came to be, I half-expected that I would awaken on a shaky cart pulled by a horse, on my way to execution, with a fellow prisoner greeting me amicably.

 

“Hey!  You’re finally awake!”

 

For some reason, the Todd Howard dream turned into reality, but minus the overused prisoner guy meme.  Instead, a beautiful girl with silver hair and silvery-blue eyes was the one who was happy that I finally awakened.

 

“!!!”

 

I was quick to sit up, hitting my forehead against Her Holiness’ chin in the process.

 

“Ow!”

 

“Sorry.”

 

“You don’t have to be so jumpy, Kuro!” Her Holiness said in a half-amused, half-annoyed manner.  I found her sitting in a ‘seiza’ position, meaning she put my head on her lap while I was unconscious.  Unlike earlier, she was now wearing a pure white gown.

 

“Y-Your Holiness, I’m sorry I—”

 

“There’s no need for apologies.” she laughed, “I can sense and hear your thoughts from your hiding place while you’re planning to grab and pin me down.  I just can’t believe that you thought of me as a criminal.”

 

“Sorry.”

 

“Don’t be.  I’m not blaming you; I just took my routine bath in this place and forgot to tell you about it.” the Saint smiled, “Before you came, we’re all girls around here, so I didn’t bother.”

 

No wonder why someone will attempt to trespass.  Aren’t you’re way too unguarded, Your Holiness?

 

“Not really.” she replied nonchalantly, “I could always give them divine retribution if they chance upon me while bathing.”

 

Err…does it have to end that way?  I mean, you have two enormously big bathhouses in your palace, and you still prefer to do that here.”

 

Nah, it’s fine.”

 

“No, it’s not.”

 

“Come on, what’s the harm of being seen naked by someone whom you trust?”

 

“Well, it’s not that you can always count on someone that you trust.  What if he turns out to be a villain?”

 

Her Holiness stared intensely at me, “Well, are you?”

 

For that, I was speechless.  Not that I can help it, see?  Her Holiness, no matter how I treat her, was still a member of the opposite sex.  And yes, she’s a beautiful girl—both in her looks and figure.  It’s impossible for any guy alive to not turn their heads towards her if ever they saw her on the streets.

 

Oh…so now you’re eyeing on me?” she teased.

 

Ah!  I’m just telling you, stop taking baths outside.”

 

“Why would I?” Her Holiness playfully laughed and caressed my face, “It always gives me the thrills to be seen by someone I trust.”

 

Is her head damaged or something?  Anyway, I pretended I didn’t hear that.

 

Aw…you’re no fun!”

 

“Because I’m being serious.”

 

The Saint laughed heartily once again, “Oh my, Kuro, you sure are an interesting person!  Don’t worry, I’ll take your advice.  It’s just that, I’m used to doing it before; I kind of forgot that you’re here already.”

 

“O-Okay…”  Hearing her say that made me wonder if all the males she had encountered so far were just perverted jerks.  I mean, it’s pretty normal back on Earth that a man would show self-restraint, especially in public.

 

“More like, I can always see through their lies.” the Saint replied, “Every time they talk to me, their eyes would always fall on my chest, and their hearts were filled with lustful thoughts.”

 

Oh.  Yeah, I forgot she could read minds.  And even if one would say flatteries, the Human Saint could peer into their actual intentions.

 

“So, how is it?” a nasty smirk formed on Her Holiness’ lips.

 

“What?”

 

“Didn’t you see me naked?  You even hugged me!”

 

“!!!” I jolted upon hearing that.  And the soft, warm, and pleasant feeling of her body as I hugged her came back to me.  It felt so real that I had to shake my head vigorously to remove any impure thoughts.

 

“I’m telling you, I’m fine!  It’s not like you forced yourself on me because of lust.  Besides, though what I told you about the ‘used to bathing’ part was false, a little compensation for your hard work wouldn’t be so bad!”

 

Something was wrong with her head.  As someone more mature, I should hammer some values on this Saint.  I mean, I’m a guy, but not once did I desire that kind of reward.

 

Oh?  Even though my looks are something that is coveted by many?”

 

No, not that.  It’s about my dignity as a person.  I’m not some generic isekai MC who thinks it’s normal for him to get under a girl’s skirt just because he saved her.

 

Love and respect don’t go that way!

 

“L-Love…” the Saint’s face became red, “K-Kuro, I-I…”

 

“Your Holiness, please be rest assured.  What I meant by love and respect is that I admire you as a friend, and I won’t be too full of myself thinking that I should fall in love.  I’m just someone insignificant.”

 

“Oh…” the changes of expressions Her Holiness exhibited were just confusing.  From being embarrassed, she quickly became annoyed and irritated.  Abruptly standing up, she dusted herself and whispered, “But I want you to…”

 

“…”

 

Once again, I pretended I did not hear that.  My policy in life for romance was that I won’t assume things.  I’ve been through that, though I never got myself a girlfriend.  So yes, now I know what to expect and what to do about these ‘sweet nothings’.  Plus, the Saint had just gone through the worst.  Possibly, her displays of ‘love’ and ‘affection’ might be a sign that she’s looking for someone to fill the void left by Sir Simon in her heart.  It won’t be good for her, nor for me, if we decided to enter a relationship.

 

And come on, looking at her, it’s almost as if I’ll be having a student of mine as my girlfriend!

 

“Tch!” Her Holiness didn’t hide her displeasure anymore, “You’re stupid Kuro!”  She stuck out her tongue to me and then teleported off.

 

I could only stare in bewilderment.

 

 

ucoEgtD.jpg

12