Chapter 6 – III –
186 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6 - III -

 

Back on Earth, when I was still a teacher, I’m interested in the history of Europe, even though I teach language in school.  And I found that I’m utterly fascinated by that part of the European history that was often shrouded with ideas of chivalry, warfare, and, of course, politics—the Middle Ages.

 

One popular pastime during that period was called the tournament.  If I may put it in my own words, it’s like a training-sport event being held by important personalities of the time and attracted knights who were more than eager to display their martial prowess and knowledge of chivalry to everyone.  You know, the most common image of that event was jousting, which was mostly done with two knights trying to unhorse their opponent with lances.

 

And well, honestly, when I heard this ‘Tri-Skill Tournament’, I couldn’t help but draw a parallel between that event and this one.  I mean, if I looked into it, Chersea was like a Middle Age Europe in another world.  Knights, paladins, and landed nobility still existed here, as well as traditional views on royalty and power.

 

“Mister Kuro, the Tri-Skill Tournament’ is a tournament of martial prowess, strategic thinking, and charms originally meant to groom a noble for his responsibilities to our kingdom.” Duchess Sophia explained, “Basically, it’s a contest of combat duels, battlefield simulation, and social interaction.”

 

“You should know how to fight like a knight, command like a general, and charm like a true gentleman.” Duke William added, “It is an important tradition in Nerfes since we take pride in our armies here.  With the long passing of seasons, the original purpose of the tournament changed; many high-ranked nobles in our kingdom used this event to find the ‘perfect’ marriage partner for their daughters.”

 

“So, for short, you’re asking me—a commoner with no knowledge about those things—to do exactly those things?”

 

Huh?  Did the Marquise say wrong?”

 

My suspicions suddenly heightened the moment I heard the word ‘Marquise’, “What did she say?”

 

“The Marquise of Monfort had told us you possess good generalship traits, Mister Kuro.  She says you displayed those during the time you protected our sister from being killed by bandits.”

 

“Your Marquise is mistaken.  All I did is defend a carriage and burn an entire forest tract.  If that’s your generalship, then it’s better if you just let your sister marry.”

 

Hmm…could it be that the Marquise is mistaken?” Sophia never shied away from airing her doubts.

 

But William insisted, “I don’t know…but it’s the ‘Golden Sword of Heaven’ who’s recommending him.”

 

Golden Sword of Heaven?  That’s the Marquise’s nickname here?  It reeked of chunnibyou!

 

Ah anyway, Mister Kuro, don’t worry too much.  It’s the Marquise who told us about you, and in case you don’t know, she’s one of the three ‘Swords of Heaven’ that are esteemed for their skill in battle.  I don’t think someone like her would commit a mistake on someone like you.”

 

I…I’ll just give no comments for a while…

 

“If it’s money you’re worried about, then we’ll be glad to sponsor you!”

 

“Wait—why do we need money here?”

 

“Well, as we said before, the Tri-Skill Tournament has three challenges:  Combat, Command, and Grace.  Combat is simple; you’ll just have to beat your opponents to submission.”

 

“Taking into consideration your commoner background, I don’t think you’ll win in this part.” Sophia commented with a straight face, “I mean, one look at you, and I can already see that you don’t have a sword-arm.”

 

“And knowing that fact, you’d still let me take part?”

 

“Do we have any choice?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Anyway, after the combat part is the command phase.  This is where the money would come in; we’ll hire the best mercenary company available.  As for you, you’ll supplement their skills with strategy.  The goal is to defeat the enemy by annihilation.”

 

Well, I couldn’t say I’m not interested in that kind of contest.  You see, whenever I’m relaxing back on Earth, I used to play real-time strategy games and would often try to reenact some famous battles in our history.

 

I think it will be a new experience to command actual people in a battle—even if it is simulated.

 

“As for the third challenge…” William took an eyeful of me, “I guess we’ll be in charge of hammering you some manners befitting an aristocrat.”

 

That’s possible, but…

 

“Yes, Mister Kuro, you have questions?”

 

“You know, if you got the money, you could hire someone to stand in my place.” I suggested, “Don’t you think you’re risking way too much for someone whose skills are unproven, like me?”

 

“We could do that…” Sophia told me in a matter-of-fact way, “However, it is the Marquise who asked us to help you while helping us as well.  You see, you won’t even be out of that dungeon if it wasn’t for us.”

 

I fell silent.  That really hit me hard.

 

“You must’ve thought that it was our sister who asked our father to let you out?” William apparently read my thought pattern regarding the circumstances of my release, “You’re gravely mistaken, Mister Kuro.”

 

“Hey, our sister asked us to help him as well, you know!”

 

Ah yes, okay, I’ll make it ‘half-mistaken’ then.”

 

“I don’t understand.” I told them my honest thoughts and feelings, “What are you guys talking about?”

 

“Okay, listen up, Mister Kuro.” Sophia explained, “Our father had intended to lock you up in that dungeon to rot forever.  He’s always for ‘setting a limit to the relations between nobility and commoners’.”

 

That’s kind of stupid.  But hey, what can I do?  It’s their culture here…

 

“And also, he doesn’t like you for having the audacity to come near our sister—as well as the other ladies, even if they have big breasts.”

 

Hey, come on, it’s not like I’m the one at fault here.  You guys cure your ancestor’s curse before directing your anger towards me.  And besides, do I look like I’m some old pervert to you?

 

“…”

 

Oh, silly me, I always forget that my face is suspicious, even back when I’m in my old world.

 

“It’s only us stood on his way.  Big sister and the dog saint—and even the princess, too, got mad when they learned about your treatment, but in the end, all that they could do is protest.”

 

I didn’t get it.  Aren’t these kids younger than the Saint?  Do they mean to say they have more authority than their big sister, who’s also the Human Saint?

 

“In this house, we have more authority than our sister.  Our hierarchy goes like, our father at the top, then we’re next, and then our sister last.  Isn’t it natural that we Rubinforths are fiercely protective of our holy family member?  After all, if we let her be, she might get swept away by the people who have ulterior motives.”

 

They had a point.  Although Her Holiness was conceited, I won’t deny that she’s a kind soul as well.  She would never turn a blind eye to anyone who needed her help; the downside of such an attitude was that she’s prone to selfish individuals acting as if they had a legitimate need.

 

“So that’s why, I think we have the right to ask for your cooperation in this matter, and I also think that you don’t have the option to refuse.  After all, you won’t be seeing the outside light again if we didn’t support our sister!”

 

That’s fucking blackmail, you know that, kid?

 

Anyway, I needed to clarify some things first, “Did Her Holiness agree to this?  Because if yes, then I think our efforts would be all in vain.”

 

“Nope, she doesn’t want it either,” William interjected.

 

Sophia followed through with his statement, “And that’s also why we’re objecting to this Tri-Skill Tournament!  We know that our big sister is at her time which is ripe for marriage; however, our father just quickly decides on things without giving it much thought!”

 

“Imagine if the winner of the tournament is a jerk or a womanizer!  I don’t think I would like to see my holy sister be defiled by a sinful man!”

 

I had to agree with what they said.  Man, now that I consider it, marrying during the Middle Ages sure sucks for young noblewomen…

 

“So again, will you help us, Mister Kuro?” William and Sophia repeated their plea for help.

 

Honestly, they were almost about to convince me.  But yeah, truth be told, I didn’t want to rush on my answer.  You see, I’m not a real general, nor an aristocrat, so I had no clue about the conduct of war.  Yet, these two kids were trying their best to put their faith in me, and the Marquise of Monfort as well…

 

Wait, that paladin put me in this situation.  I’ll give her a mouthful of sermon later!

 

I took a deep breath.

 

“Okay, I’ll help.” I answered, “Though, I’d do it because I also don’t agree with the Duke’s methods, understand?”

 

“Coincidentally, Mister Kuro, even if we’re our father’s children, we agree with you.”

 

“Nice.” I took my hand and offered them a handshake, which they accepted.  Well, for the first time, I saw the Rubinforth children smiled with relief.  I think that made me feel good.  

 

Time to kick some old aristocratic ass.

6