Chapter 8 – I – Kuro’s fool-proof plan on surviving the tri-skill tournament
183 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8 - I - Kuro's fool-proof plan on surviving the tri-skill tournament

 

I knew I said some stupid words like ‘marrying Her Holiness’ and stuff…

 

“…”

 

You knew full well that it’s just my way of grandstanding, kicking in.  I didn’t have that kind of desire…

 

Well, at least, if Her Holiness’ is a bit older, and she’s not a Saint, perhaps I would consider—hey, why am I thinking of her that way?  She’s technically a kid!

 

Ah anyway, never mind me, now I am here at an enormously wide-open field that was to be the venue of the tournament the Duke was planning to hold.  By this time, I could make out of the banners on the tents being set up in the area.  Flags of bears and swords, or flames and shields…for a moment, those seem to be nasty-looking emblems, if you ask me…

 

“…”

 

But yeah, what concerns me most was not the number of enemies I’ll be facing.  Rather, it’s the fact that I had gotten myself into a…death game.

 

“…”

 

Well, I guess I got what I deserve for my foolish impulses.  I mean, I’m an outsider in this affair, and yet, because of my ‘values’ and ‘ideals’, I ended up getting the short end of the stick.  Tournaments like this one could end tragically for a contestant for many good reasons; one, they use actual weapons here in the fighting.  Two, old rivalries could surface once again and duels are not uncommon events.  And three, I didn’t think medieval societies such as this one had the concept of ‘occupational safety’ for its candidates.

 

Those are some of the reasons I believe this can end in a tragedy.  And I’m not some black cape-wearing, edgy swordsman using cheat ‘double blades’ skills in trying to save his girlfriend from being NTR’d by a creepy game company CEO…

 

“…”

 

Although I was shocked and almost panicked at first, I don’t think I could back out now.  I mean, I already provoked the Duke into allowing me to join.  I’ll lose my head if I retreated, and these two brats were already expecting much from me…

 

And Her Holiness…I wish I could help her in any way possible; so, I guess this was an opportunity as well.

 

Even though I may die here…

 

“…”

 

Damn, I don’t want to die…either by losing my head, or getting sliced by swords or skewered by spears.

 

“Those are our potential rivals, Mister Kuro.” William enthusiastically pointed towards the groups of armored knights and archers a few distances away from us, “Papa had sent for the royalty and nobles from all over Chersea, and they hurriedly came here to attend the tournament.”

 

“Big shots, eh?

 

“Indeed.  If you look over there, that’s the tent of the King of Nerfes.”

 

Oh great.  I’ll be meeting Rambo once again.

 

“That one’s the Prince of Savoy’s tent.  He’s the son of the Grand Duke of Savoy, the duchy nearest to the Holy Palatial Gardens.”

 

Yeah, I know about that Einstein.  Just keep on walking.

 

Ah look, even the Imperial Prince had come hurrying from the south!”

 

Oh, an empire to the south of Chersea?  I guess I need to read more about the countries of this world.

 

“Well, Papa didn’t think it through.” Sophia’s face was sour, “He just sent out invitations to all royal and noble houses in Chersea, thinking that it would further enhance our house’s prestige.  But I have to come and send in a follow-up invitation telling them that only those of ruling dukes, royal families, and the imperial house could come.”

 

“Or else, you’ll have an accommodation problem with all the single sons of the human nobilities flooding in here, correct?”

 

“You catch on quick, Mister Kuro.”

 

“So all-in-all, from a potential 400+ candidates for the hand of our Big Sister, we trimmed our potential rivals to a manageable size of around 15-18 people.”

 

Hmm…pretty impressive.  This Sophia could think rationally and execute complicated matters, despite her appearance.

 

“Usually, this tournament has twenty slots.  Since only eighteen candidates have come excluding you, we’ve got one less jerk to worry about.”

 

“I s-see…”

 

Ah, so yes, the contest would start after one long sleep.  As I have explained before, it would begin with the combat phase.  You, along with two or three other candidates, would have to fight it out.  The one who remains standing is the winner.”

 

“Do I have to kill those guys?”

 

“Well, a simple incapacitating injury is enough to make them lose the game.” Sophia shrugged as she explained, “Though sometimes in the process of inflicting injury, the victim could die, that’s why there are casualties.”

 

I could only swallow my fear upon hearing that.

 

Ah, don’t worry too much, lately, we’ve put a safety measure in place, so that the candidates can go all out with their martial skills.”

 

“Which is?”

 

“We’re now using a substitute doll for duels and tournaments.  A substitute doll is a magically enchanted item that absorbs injuries—light or fatal.  So, instead of risking mortal wounds to the candidate, his damage is directed instead to the doll which receives it.”

 

Why the fuck you guys didn’t tell me that first?  I worried about nothing, you know?

 

“It’s still painful to get bludgeoned if that happens, but at least you’ll be sure that you’ll live.”

 

Wow.  Thanks for the assurance.  I feel so safe now.  (Monotone voice)

 

“Of course, our big sister sanctioned it!  She doesn’t want deaths and unwanted injuries because of these festivities!” Sophia proudly announced it to me, “See?  Our big sister is so considerate she accommodates our tradition and our safety at the same time!”

 

“Our sister is intelligent!”

 

Yeah, yeah, I get it, you brats!  Her Holiness was indeed understanding, and considerate.  Hell, I wouldn’t fight for her if she’s some kind of entitled prima donna in the first place!

 

“And since we all know that you can’t fight, Mister Kuro, we also made plans of our own.” William showed me a bottle of suspicious-looking potion.

 

“You’re drugging my rivals?”

 

Shh…not too loud!” Sophia fiercely whispered, “We’ve got no other choice!  You have to win, by hook or by crook!”

 

“Disqualification is what she meant.” William was quick with his back-up explanation.

 

“Well…that’s quite a plan, I guess.” Indeed, it makes me win an easy one.  I guess I had to shut up and quietly work my way to the top.  I hoped that this was a proper plan and not some ‘flag’ for something much worse.

 

Wait, did I just set up that ‘doom’ flag just now?

7