Chapter 4 – I – Breakdown
107 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4 - I - Breakdown

 

I think this was the fourth time in a row that these so-called ‘ambassadors’ and their rulers fought over something so trivial.

 

“Your dirty, uncivilized people crossed into our boundaries without permission!  How can we just let it off like that?”

 

“I told you they’re just trying to get that cow that wandered into your backward territory!  We meant no harm, you buffoon!”

 

‘Dirty’, ‘Uncivilized’, ‘Backward’, ‘Buffoon’.

 

I’m not sure if those words should be used in diplomatic communications.  Goodness, these fellows didn’t even know the meaning of ‘tact’.

 

Ughhh…Lady Monfort, please lead the gentlemen out.  Separate those two!”

 

The Marquise of Monfort and her paladins quickly moved once again to calm the situation.  By now, I’m used to such scenes—it’s the nth time that this happened.

 

“…”

 

However, I’m worried about Maddie.  Though she may wear makeup, I could still see from her face the stress was taking a toll on her.

 

Lily was right beside her friend after the ambassadors and their rulers left the room, helping Her Holiness cope up with the situation.  Maddie was inconsolable; her head remained smacked on the table before her.

 

The burdens of being the saint and chief mediator are more than enough for her!  Who the fuck put a girl like her in this holy position in the first place?

 

“…”

 

Oh?  It seemed like Maddie bounced back from her stress.  She sat right up and sent Lily away.  A pair of envoys were called in, followed by their respective rulers, and presented their case before the Saint.

 

“Your Holiness!  We seek your wisdom and aid to this matter that threatens to disturb—”

 

“Yeah, yeah.  What is it?  Hurry!” Maddie interrupted the ambassador, who was speaking with her dismissive attitude.

 

The envoy was visibly surprised by the gesture but continued to explain, “Y-Your Holiness, if I may proceed.  My liege, Duke Amos of Gentulia, s a pair of Cerberus dogs he cherishes with all of his heart—”

 

“Cut out the rosy words and get to the point.” Her Holiness scowled, “What’s the problem?”

 

Ah, eh, uhh…yes!” the ambassador of Duke Amos fumbled, though he brought out his words in the end.   “Your Holiness, the Count of Haran, Henri, harmed one of the Cerberus dogs my liege takes care of.  And we seek proper compensation for such a barbaric act!”

 

Maddie then turned to the other envoy, that of the Count of Haran.

 

The ambassador of the Count of Haran then spoke in his liege’s defense, “Your Holiness, please consider.  My lord is just defending himself.  The Duke of Gentulia always lets his Cerberus dogs out to avoid cleaning after them!  And then, one of them attacked my liege when he passed by.  We demand that the Duke give us proper compensation and apology!”

 

Ugh…that problem reminded me of my neighbors back in my world.  They’d want to take a dog in as a pet, and yet, they’re irresponsible enough to let loose that dog every damned morning to ‘do its business’ in another house’s fence.

 

And yeah, it just so happened that that ‘another house’s fence’ is my house.

 

I guess the stupidity is the same, no matter where you are.

 

However, this time, it’s different.  This one could lead to a ‘localized war’ between the neighboring lords, and I guess it’s not good to sacrifice your entire population just to solve an idiot’s irresponsibility.

 

I could tell Maddie was similarly frustrated.  I mean, problems like this could—should—be solved by a more ‘local’ overlord, like a king, or a more senior noble they trust.

 

Yep, these idiots don’t even have to bring this to an international court.

 

I heard Maddie asked the envoy of the Duke of Gentulia once again, “What is it you demand from the count?”

 

“We would like for him to desist in making his unreasonable demands and allow my liege’s Cerberus to roam freely.”

 

That’s a stupid demand, it made little sense!

 

“And what does your lord want to demand?” Her Holiness turned to the ambassador of the Count of Haran.

 

“We ask for proper compensation and an apology.  And no, we will not allow such dangerous monsters to roam our lands just for the sake of convenience of one person.”

 

Yeah, I think their side has reasonable demands.  

 

“Monsters?” the Duke of Gentulia himself roused from his chair indignantly, “You don’t know what you’re talking about!  Those majestic creatures are worth more than all of your fief’s assets combined, Count!”

 

“Well, indeed!” the Count of Haran countered, sidelining his envoy, “But, I don’t care how much is the worth of your horrible monsters!  What I do care about is that you’re infringing on my fief!”

 

Oh, good lord, here we go again.

 

“Can you even last a war against me?  You speak as if you can!”

 

“What, would you like to see if I could?  If yes, throw your gloves at me!”

 

“Silence!!!”

 

“!!!”

 

Her Holiness’ voice rang around the four corners of the room where the congress was taking place.  Everyone inside was silent, even us, the audience.  We surely didn’t expect that a gentle person such as the saint herself would be capable of shouting that loud…

 

Maddie put all of her frustrations on that scream just now.

 

The two envoys, along with their feuding lords, stopped at their bickering.  The Marquise of Monfort, even without permission from Her Holiness, dashed in with her paladins to separate the two camps.  It’s good that Maddie forbade weapons in here; at least, these hotheads would have no means to strike fatally at one another and trigger an irreversible chain of events.

 

Lily lost no time in calming the Saint.  From where I sat, I could tell that Maddie was frustrated, and I guess a few more provocations, and she’d finally break down.

 

“…”

 

I guess I need to step up.

 

 

Lily called in the other maids waiting outside and asked them to fetch something for her.  Meanwhile, at the time they were doing their task, she appeased Maddie.

 

“Your Holiness, I think it’s time you take a break for a while.” I heard her pleas, “It’s not good for you to continue, please…”

 

However, Maddie was silent.  Her hands were trembling, and her face was red with anger.  Sir Simon also stood up, about to come to Her Holiness’ side, when a maid blocked us and asked the crowd to exit the congress venue.  Not wishing to create more trouble, Sir Simon obliged, but not until he gave me a tap at my shoulder.

 

Yep, he’s entrusting Maddie to me.

 

So, without further ado, I pushed my way towards Maddie and Lily.

 

“Lily!” I called out to her, “Let Maddie rest for a while.”

 

“Yes, that’s what I’m trying to do right now.” Lily replied, “But she won’t move.”

 

Well, I could understand Her Holiness’ reaction.  She’s utterly frustrated with herself.  For the record, ever since she took over as the mediator from Granny Franceska, she solved only a handful of cases presented before her.  Most of the complaints ended up having to separate the opposing parties, for they nearly grabbed each other’s throats.

 

I quickly gave Maddie a head pat as I rubbed her shoulders.

 

“There, there.  It can’t be helped, Your Holiness.” I consoled her, “Humans are troublesome creatures, and they won’t give in to others’ demands that easy.  But you did your best.”

 

“…”

 

I could see tears flow from her eyes.  Yep, I guess I’m on the right track; Her Holiness was frustrated at the results of the negotiations.

 

“Hey, can I ask you to take a break for a while?  This is getting into you, and it’s not good.” I gently whispered to Maddie.

 

She replied with a nod.

 

Finally getting the Saint’s approval, I turned to Lily, “Could you bring her to her bedroom?  She needs time off.”

 

Lily answered with a curt nod and asked the other maids to assist her.  We slowly assisted Maddie in standing up, and they escorted her out of the room.

 

Man, humans are troublesome…

 

 

For several ‘days’ since that incident at the congress, Maddie never appeared to anyone.  Not even once.  Nor was I summoned for her exercise routine, and she didn’t drop a visit to my room.

 

Well, I doubt she will, after that ‘seduction’ episode.

 

The Holy Congress was put to a halt.  The human kings and their delegations were left waiting for the next developments on the condition of the Saint, and while they were genuinely concerned, some were getting bored and irritated.

 

After all, they couldn’t leave the Holy Palatial Gardens and go back to their respective lands until Her Holiness declared so.

 

I didn’t know what were the measures Maddie and her servants put in place if this event happens, but things were about to go haywire.  Rival nobles were quick to stir up fights and arguments, and their guard retinues would often add to the chaos by backing their lord (which was normal, given the situation).  The palace paladins were forced to go double on duty to enforce the peace and separate the troublesome fellows for a while.

 

Yep, Maddie’s presence is needed here, as soon as possible.

 

“…”

 

But yes, I guess Her Holiness badly needed a break.  After all, she’s too young to burden herself with the problems of the adults.  At her age, she should just think about her favorite ‘K-pop’ band, or concern herself with handsome boys that she’d come across on her social media account.

 

Well, of course, if Maddie’s on Earth, that is.

 

Anyway, I tried coming over to Her Holiness’ room to check on her, but the maid assigned at her door told me she didn’t want any visitors as of the moment—no one could enter her chamber, save for a few ‘necessities’.

 

Of course, I wouldn’t force my way in.  But honestly, Maddie’s been worrying about me.  Here I think she might’ve relapsed to her depression once again, or she’d binge-eat and cannot take care of herself just like before.

 

“…”

 

Seriously, I  felt useless—as a friend and her fiancée.  I couldn’t even help Maddie when she’s at her waterloo.  And Lily’s no help either; she just kept on saying that her friend’s all fine and okay in her usual cold, steely voice.

 

That’s not reassuring.

 

And so, I guess I’d try to check once again.

 

“!!!”

 

I was surprised to see Lily on my way to the Saint’s room.  Likewise, it seemed like she was also startled to meet me there as well.  However, just as she was the head maid, Lily quickly recovered her composure and gave me a polite bow before asking me…

 

“I believe I forbid any visits to Her Holiness, Mister Kuro?”

 

Uhm…Lily…” I tried to keep up the conversation.  There were a lot of things in my mind that needed to be answered, “How’s Maddie?”

 

Lily replied with her usual answer, “Her Holiness is all fine as of this moment.  There’s no need for you to be troubled.  Now if you’ll please refrain yourself from seeing her…”

 

“…”

 

Well, even though I had my doubts over Lily’s words, I guess there won’t be any progress if I pry much further.  Think of it as if you’re trying to open a secure money safe with just a crowbar.  It’s virtually impossible!  The persistent feeling that she’s only making light of a serious problem remained, though.

 

I guess I’m unnecessary.  I’m an outsider in this matter, anyway.

 

However, I also felt that this was the right time to tell Lily something I should’ve said before.  “Uh…Lily?”

 

“Is there anything else you need, Mister Kuro?”

 

Well, I did not know how Cherseans express their most sincere apology, so I devised one using the best knowledge that I knew.

 

“!!!”  I bowed low—almost kowtowing—before Lily, with hands clasped as if I’m in a prayer…

 

“Lily, whatever I did to upset you, please.” I tried to let out the bottled-up feelings in my chest, “I apologize.  I know you’re angry at me for a long time now, but if possible, I don’t want our friendship to end.”

 

Lily remained silent, perhaps taken aback by my sudden gesture.  However, I never moved in my position, not even daring to raise my head.  Here’s to me hoping that she’d take pity and see the sincerity in my actions, and forgive me for whatever sin I did to her.

 

“…”

 

Well, it’s awkward now that a relatively long time had already elapsed without me getting any response from her.  But I’m determined to fix everything, right here and now!

 

“…”

 

“Kuro…”,

 

“!!!” I quickly raised my head the moment I heard another familiar voice.  Much to my surprise, Maddie was standing before me instead of Lily.

 

Eh?  Where’s Lily?”

 

Hm?  Lily?” Maddie looked around warily as if she’s hiding from someone, “I haven’t seen her around, and it’d be better if we don’t meet each other for now.”

 

Huh?  Did you guys fight?”

 

“Fight?” Her Holiness shook her head, “No, it’s not like that.  But I feel that Lily’s getting more worked up lately, and she’s being way too restrictive towards me.  So, when I found an opportunity, I escaped my room.”

 

Escaped?  Why do I feel like things were getting complicated?  Ah, fuck that!  I had to check on my fiancée.

 

“I-I’m fine now!” Maddie was flustered, perhaps she’s reading my mind once again, “A-anyway, give me your hand!”

 

Huh?  Why?”

 

“Actions first, questions later!” Her Holiness didn’t even let me prepare myself.  Maddie wasted no time in grabbing my hand; she then uttered the teleport spell.

 

My vision quickly became blurred and eventually went white.

 

2