Chapter 4 – III –
100 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4 - III -

 

Eventually, no matter how much we wanted to stay, all good things must end.

 

“…”

 

Reluctantly, I closed my eyes to avoid getting all woozy and dizzy once again after we teleport.  And then I heard Maddie utter her teleport spell.

 

“!!!”

 

The next thing we knew, we’re back at the Holy Palatial Gardens, inside my room.

 

Ah, thanks for your time, Kuro.” Maddie smiled gently.

 

“Yes, it’s my pleasure, Your Holiness!” I bowed before my fiancée.  The Saint gently squeezed my hand, and I reciprocated it by caressing her face.  After making sure that she’s all fine, I led Maddie towards the door.

 

And then, just as when she was about to go…

 

Ah, Kuro!”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Can we go back there sometime?”

 

I smiled at her and nodded.  I  admire this girl, and it’s hard to say ‘no’ to such a pure-hearted request.  Maybe I’d also bring her a gift once we visit that place again.  Yeah, so that’s why I need to find a job!

 

“Wow, you sure took your sweet time.”

 

“!!!”

 

My heart froze when I heard that cold, steely, and sarcastic voice from somewhere.  Turning around, I saw Lily standing behind me, leaning her back on the walls of my room.  Maddie was shocked and unable to move as well.

 

“L-Lily!?  What are you doing in here?” Her Holiness blurted out.

 

“Well, I’ve been here for quite some time now.” the head maid revealed, “It’s just that, you’re both so engrossed flirting with each other that you didn’t notice me.”

 

“…”

 

“Anyway…” Lily turned to her friend, “…I did forbid you to come and see Mister Kuro, Your Holiness.  I was wondering what are you doing here?”

 

“…”

 

Maddie was left speechless by the suddenness of the situation.  So, I answered for her, “Come on Lily, what’s wrong with Maddie taking a break for a while?  You also saw her breakdown at the congress, right?”

 

“Well, of course, Her Holiness did nothing wrong with the break.” Lily countered, “But you see, she couldn’t afford to flirt around when all the kings of this land are waiting for her to come by.  And you’re tolerating her irresponsible attitude, Mister Kuro!”

 

Huh?  I’m just saying that she needs a break!” I explained, taking great care not to escalate the tension between me and the head maid, “Nothing else happened between us.”

 

“Well, it should.” Lily replied, “We don’t want further distractions that can cause further problems, Mister Kuro.  I hope you’re mature enough to understand that.”

 

“Of course—”

 

“Kuro’s got nothing to do with this!” Maddie finally spoke up, not bothering to hide her anger, “Are you accusing him of seducing me?”

 

“N-No…” I could tell that the head maid was taken aback, “I never said that…it’s just that—” There’s a horrified look on Lily’s face, and she was trying to avoid my eyes.

 

Don’t tell me…she suspected me of such things!

 

Maddie was indignant, however, “I was the one who came to him and asked him to go with me!”

 

“Your Holiness, for your  good, I recommend that we have this man—”

 

“I won’t allow it!” the Saint was resolute, “Kuro’s been a big help to me, so I can’t bear the thought of banishing him!”

 

Banish?  Isn’t that way too harsh for me?  I mean, I’m useless and all, but couldn’t they be a little gentler for an otherworlder like me?

 

“And what about our help and devotion to you?” Lily finally snapped, “Don’t you know that your tantrums have caused us problems for a while now?  You have the responsibilities that you put up with yourself, and yet, you can’t even finish what you started!”

 

“Do you even know what I feel?” Her Holiness screamed at the top of her lungs, at that moment, I thought she turned into a normal, angry teenager.

 

However, Lily wouldn’t be pushed around, so she countered, “Of course I don’t!  I’m not you; the holy, well-liked you!”

 

Maddie fell silent with that.  Just by looking at her, I guess she realized something horrible after what the head maid told her.

 

“For goodness’ sake, Maddie, grow up!”

 

Uh…please calm down—” I guess it’s time for me to diffuse the situation.

 

“No, I won’t calm down!” Lily continued in her rants; I’m unnerved by her seething anger.  It’s like, the maid before us wasn’t the head maid anymore, “You’ve been a headache for us now, Madelaine Ann Rubinforth!  We’ve been devoted to you for a long time now, working hard, and suffering badly; trying our best to be of service to you!  And yet, your favor rests with this stranger—a nobody—from another world?  Where’s the justice in that?”

 

That… hurts to hear.  It felt like my heart’s being slowly squeezed out of my chest.

 

“Stop it, Lilyhaven Tamriel von Leese!” Maddie’s equally enraged by now, “You speak as if you’re one to talk, and yet, these that you’re saying is because you’re utterly jealous that I was engaged to him!  Do you think I can’t read your thoughts as well?”

 

What?

 

Now it was Lily’s turn to fall silent…and me as well.

 

“…”

 

The head maid’s face was red.  After what Maddie said, I didn’t know if it’s still because of anger, or something else.  But her eyes were getting wet from the tears that were about to fall.  Her body was shivering, and her fists were clenched.

 

Uh…head maid…I’m sorry—” I tried to console her, but Lily slapped my hand away.

 

“No.” the head maid’s voice was shaking, and her body was shivering as well.  However, what’s  notable was that her tone towards me changed to a mellow one, “M-Mister Kuro, please don’t apologize…”

 

I could say nothing else.  I wanted to at least give her a pat on the back.

 

Maddie’s got a horrible look on her face as well, and yet she stopped herself from saying anything else.  Perhaps she realized her mistake when she blurted out her friend’s secret.  Her angry expression vanished altogether, and it’s as if she wanted to rush to her friend’s side and hug her tight.

 

“…”

 

Well, I could understand Her Holiness’ actions.  It’s a ‘spur of the moment’ anger.

 

“H-Head maid…”

 

Lily drew a bittersweet smile on her lips as her eyes cried, “Ah!  Don’t worry about it.  I…I accomplished nothing good in my life, anyway.”

 

“!!!”

 

It’s heartbreaking to hear those words from the aloof, and reliable, head maid of the Holy Palatial Gardens.  No, I believed, what’s even more painful was that she’s our friend, and for her to say that statement…

 

Damn…I failed as a good friend to Lily.

 

“…”

 

The head maid never waited for us to say anything.  She just brought out her usual ‘maidservant smile’, bowed politely before Her Holiness, and retreated outside the room like nothing happened—all of those with tears falling uncontrollably from her eyes.

 

We could not sleep during that time…

 
 

 

 

4