Chapter 1 – II –
62 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1 - II -

 

What?”

 

“What?”

 

Lily and I stared at one another’s face the moment I could enter my room.  She was in the middle of arranging the bed…well, someone else’s bed.

 

“Whose bed is that?” I was bewildered.

 

“Well, Her Holiness ordered this.”

 

Hoh?  Why?”  I guess I’m not one to complain since I’m only a guest here, but still…how about my privacy?

 

“Don’t worry about that, Kuro.”  it was Maddie, “I just decided to make a room for me and Lily in here; we will not interfere with your private life.”

 

Uh…I think Maddie misunderstood it.  I mean, she may be my fiancée, but I believe I’d like to have a private moment with myself from time to time.

 

“N-No worries!” the Saint desperately defended her actions, “W-We j-just want to k-keep you co-company!”

 

“Her Holiness desires to be with you ALL the time.” Lily dropped.

 

“Hey, don’t act as if you have nothing to do with this, Lily!” Maddie countered her head maid, “Aren’t you the one who suggested that we go to Kuro’s room?”

 

“I suggested that, but I tried stopping you, didn’t I?”

 

“You did.  However, you don’t want me to get ahead of you!  I never asked you to come with me.”

 

“Of course!  Don’t keep him all to yourself!”

 

Well, though they may sound like fighting, I believe that these two were just playing…like cats.  Only the cats were tigers…with sharp teeth and unsheathed claws.

 

I guess I need to step in now.

 

“Hold on!  You didn’t ask me if I’ll allow this.”

 

“Never!” they both told me at the same time.

 

“If we want your permission, that’ll never come!” Lily complained.

 

“Precisely.  Kuro’s a human yet he acts like an elf.” Maddie added, “He’s a prude!”

 

The two girls nodded, agreeing with one another.  Well, at least they had their common ground.  But what did they mean I acted like an elf?  I’m 100% human!

 

“Aren’t you always thinking and talking about being faithful to the one person you love?”

 

“I do.  What makes you think I’m an elf with that?”

 

“Well, I guess you don’t know just yet…” Lily explained, “But here in Chersea, it’s pretty common among the nobility and the rich commoners to marry at least three people.”

 

“What?” I was surprised by the revelation; I certainly overlooked that.  Does this mean NTR is a common thing around here?

 

“I don’t know what you mean by that NTR, Kuro, but a powerful noble or commoner could take in several wives, or husbands, up to five in some places to manage his/her household.” Maddie elaborated, “As you know, maintaining a family is a pretty heavy responsibility, so those who can afford it, could do it.”

 

“You mean a marriage of convenience?”

 

“I don’t understand about that, but isn’t your world the same?  Don’t you have difficulties in raising and maintaining a family with only one partner?”

 

“Of course, we do!  But back there, we consider those as part of familial responsibilities.”

 

“Your world is pretty weird.”

 

I thought we agree regarding each other’s world.  Nevertheless, since this was an unfamiliar land with distinct sets of values and customs, I guess I needed to remember that from now on, eh?

 

Haaa…five people as your marriage partners.  What about jealousy and stuff like that?” I asked that because it’s the first thing that came into my mind.  As a teacher, it’s not a secret that we often had to deal with children hailing from dysfunctional families torn apart by infidelity.  They really were a handful; though I understood where they’re coming from.

 

“Well, it happens in some households.” the Saint replied, “But mostly, one wouldn’t get wives or husbands who’d fight for power and influence over the Head of the House, so it’s pretty harmonious.  For example, I have three blood-mothers and was on good terms with them before they left this mortal realm.  My mother is the last one left with Papa before she died, too.”

 

“I’m sorry you remembered that.”

 

“No worries.  It’s been a while; I was thinking of paying their graves a visit sometime.  Going back to our topic, I believe it’s on the values of your people that you frown upon such kind of arrangement, Kuro.”

 

“Yep.  Also, if that case happens, the Head of the House had the right to send away the erring partner if he or she so desires.” Lily added.

 

Uhh…isn’t that unfair to the one who was dismissed?” I wondered if the Chersean family traditions and customs resembled a corporation more than what I knew and grew up with back on Earth.  But then again, this is Chersea; it’s really a different world, after all.

 

“Personally, I believe it’s the erring partner’s fault if that happens.” Maddie answered, “You see, unlike in your world, our families here have ranks accorded to the partners of the Head of the House.  For example, the chief wife or husband is called the Matriarch (woman) or Patriarch (man).  Basically, they are in-charged with the well-being of the entire household.”

 

“More like, they are the counterpart of the Head of the House.” Lily interjected, “His/Her connection to the others.”

 

“Yep.  Next below them, are the Mistresses/Masters.  These people are usually responsible for the family finances in coordination with the Matriarch/Patriarch.  Every budget consideration goes through them, and so a wise head would always assign the most financially literate person to that rank.”

 

More like a company treasurer, if you ask me.

 

“The last one on the hierarchy are the Ladies and Gents.  Their duties to the household include caring for the children and defending their home in case of outside attacks.”

 

Isn’t that a security guard’s job?  Chersea’s family traditions and customs were the definitions of Earth’s private companies.  It’s interesting, but I did have an idea why these two were telling these things to me…

 

“Well, if you’re thinking why we’re here and talking about those…” Maddie suddenly kneeled before me, followed by Lily, “Kuro, may I ask you to take my friend and blood-sister Lily as your wife as well?  As I know that you’re a great man and a good person, so I don’t think there’s any individual I could entrust her safety other than to you.”

 

“What?”

 

“Sorry for pushing this unto you, but you’re Lily’s only hope.”

 

“But why did you guys even create that stupid ‘competition’ over me?”

 

Oh, that?  Well, we’re competing to see who gets the first rank of being your wife!”

 

I think my mind got overloaded.  Everything happened so fast that I couldn’t say anything.

 

 

***The city of Kersea, the capital city of the Empire of Chersea***

 

Amid the great hall of the Imperial Palace’s Golden Throne Room, the Traveler stood before the Emperor, seated on his lofty throne and surrounded by his ministers and aides.  The disastrous Battle of Hagena Castle had already reached the monarch’s ears, and he didn’t like such news.

 

“I see that your mission against the northern kingdoms failed.” the emperor flashed a letter with the Human Saint’s seal attached to it, “So, it just confirms the content of this letter; she’s summoning me back to the Holy Palatial Gardens to explain myself for the fiasco at Hagena.”

 

“I apologize deeply, Your Imperial Majesty.” he replied, with all humility and dignity, “It’s been unfortunate, but I admit my incompetency.”

 

“Tell me what happened.”

 

“Because of the unforeseen circumstances, I let myself be blinded by the chance to capture the Iron Princess, Your Imperial Majesty.  I willingly threw men and resources to get my hands on her, and as a result, I was outwitted.”

 

Hmm…can’t say you were wrong though.” the emperor pondered on the information, “I’d gladly sacrifice an entire legion if that would end up restraining that Nerfes princess.  What caused you to fail when you had her by the neck, then?”

 

“It’s the Fist of the North Lands.”

 

“What?” the emperor stood from his seat, “Did I just hear you say that?”

 

“Yes, Your Imperial Majesty.” the Traveler explained, keeping his cool even though he’s getting drops of cold sweat on his forehead, “I think I may be wrong in my first impression, but the man known as the Fist of the North Lands is someone of formidable mind.  He, along with a few of Sekhtem’s cavalry militia, repeatedly repelled attempts by your soldiers to overwhelm them, even though we outnumber them, and the Iron Princess is gravely injured.”

 

“That can’t be true!  For a commoner, the rumors about that boy are surely exaggerated!”

 

“Your Imperial Majesty, I plead to you we also prioritize capturing or killing this man known as the Fist of the—”

 

“Didn’t you try to kill him before?” the emperor was visibly upset and mad, “What makes you think we can kill him now?”

 

“Well, we can’t.  It’s because Maddie talked to the High King of the Gods to have that boy resurrected.”

 

“!!!”

 

The letter from the Human Saint suddenly glowed and then burned suddenly.  From the ashes came a form that then coalesced into the speaker herself.  Everyone’s attention was focused on her and she never stood before the emperor.  Instead, she teleported behind him and perched on the backrest of the golden throne.

 

“It’s Her Holiness the Saint of the Flame!”  With that cue, all of them quickly prostrated themselves before Seirna, and she only had a sardonic grin on her face for her greeting as she watched them kowtow before her.

 

“My dear Jean, emperor of Chersea, I don’t think you could kill that man known as the Fist of the North Lands.  He has the backing of Maddie, the Human Saint, after all.  Your agent here, the former Prince Umberto, failed in his work, thus making it harder for you to realize your ambitions to rule this land.”

 

“W-What does th-that mean, Your Holiness?  A-Aren’t you on our s-side?  Why did he fail?”

 

Ah-ah!  Correction, my dear Jean.  YOU are on my side.  I would never have helped you gain your throne from your uncle if I would get nothing from you in return.” Seirna playfully floated in the air, while she would occasionally shoot out little embers from her fingers, “The more your forces would fail, the stronger your enemies would become.  You failed in capturing the Human Saint before.  You failed in reining in the Iron Princess.  And certainly, you failed in killing off the Fist of the North Lands.”

 

“I get that the Human Saint and the Iron Princess need to be separated, but why that commoner boy?”

 

The playful smile on Seirna’s face quickly disappeared.  She flew towards the kneeling emperor and grabbed him by his cheeks, “Do you want me to further elaborate, you useless man?  Well, here’s the thing.  If your empty head would try to see, the Human Saint is the ‘beacon of hope’ that would unite Chersea’s northern kingdoms in the time of distress.  The Iron Princess is the ‘general of the legends’ that would lead the fight against your armies, and the Fist of the North Lands…well, he’s the ‘military genius’ that would destroy your hope of ever winning a battle against your enemies.”

 

“Y-Your Holiness, b-but what should we do?”

 

“Of course, there’s no such thing as an absolute victory.” Seirna finally let him go, “There’s still a sliver of hope for you to overturn the odds against the northern barbarians.  But listen up, for if you fail this, I would be forced to move my hand.”

 

The Traveler was also interested in the conversation, so he leaned in to listen.

 

“Don’t come to Maddie to explain yourself.  Proceed with your plan to destabilize the kingdom of Amaranth.  Make sure no one lives among the nobility and royalty strong enough to challenge your rule.  Confiscate their properties if necessary.  Make those fools as poor as a sewage rat.  I think those are the things that you need to do.  Do you understand?”

 

“Y-Yes, Your Holiness…”

 

“Good.” Seirna then took her place on the Imperial throne, “And, one last thing before we get this thing going, Jean.  I want you to place Prince Umberto as the commander of the invading legions.”

 

“Hah?” not only the emperor but his ministers, including the prince himself, were all surprised.

 

“It’s a simple demand, or you won’t have my blessing.  Good luck on dealing with Maddie’s powers decimating your armies with her plagues if that’s the case.”

 

“I-I’ll do it, Y-Your Holiness!” the emperor hurriedly stood up, took his sword, and gave it to the Traveler as a symbolic gesture, “Prince Umberto of Amaranth, I hereby proclaim you as the commander of our glorious Imperial Legions invading northern Chersea.”

 

With all the awkwardness aside, the former spymaster-turned-army commander Prince Umberto graciously accepted the sword and bowed before the emperor, “My life is yours, Your Imperial Majesty.

 

“Alright!  I guess that settles it.” the Flame Saint clapped her hands once everything was over, “And with that, we do our divine mission of our Lord, Gaius, bestowed on us.  Congratulations on your promotion, former Prince Umberto.”

 

The now-imperial general Prince Umberto neither displayed an annoyed nor a smiling face.  He just kept his usual indifference, even as Seirna of the Flame was clearly amusing herself.

 

Aww…don’t be like that, Your Former Highness.” she laughed, “Aren’t you happy that you’ll finally get to have your revenge against that Saint that caused your family its ruin?”

 

“…” the Prince remained silent.

 

“Hahaha!!!” Seirna then floated playfully back to the air, “I really love it when you humans are unnerved by things going around you.  I can feel and taste your fears and apprehensions…but no matter!  Soon, Chersea will see it’s golden age—and Maddie does not deserve any of it!”

 

 

**Kuro**

 

Well, the conversation I had with Maddie and Lily remained in my mind for quite some time.  It’s not that I didn’t like the head maid at all, but I’m someone from a different world and culture.  I believe I’m pretty indecisive for these things, but then again, it’s not like I’m desperate for a girl…moreover, multiple girls.

 

Would it even work out?  I mean, for them, it might be since they’ve been living their lives in this place.  But I doubt I could remain impartial for long.  You know, I’m a teacher.  And even though they required us to show no bias towards our students, the fact was that we’re still human.  We had some cases where our favor rested on one child.

 

The same as to a family with multiple partners.  I’m not some shut-in who gets reincarnated into another world possessing magical powers that he nurtured as he grows and ends up marrying his teacher, his childhood friend, and his cousin.

 

I’m not a Rudeus; my name is simply Kuro.  And I desire a simple family life if I land myself a good girl…

 

…which turned out to be Maddie.  She’s really a great lover, though she’s not without her flaws.

 

Of course, as someone who’s truly concerned for her friend, Maddie’s actions were pretty much understandable.  However, I’m having doubts about myself.  Not only with my values, but I’m also concerned whether I could keep Her Holiness happy…much more her friend.

 

Two different people coming from two distinct family cultures.

 

“…”

 

Haa…all this thinking had made my head spin.  I don’t know, perhaps it was further exacerbated by the hot weather.

 

“…”

 

Oh, now that I remembered it, wasn’t this a new season?  Perhaps Maddie and Lily were all busy with preparations for the upcoming Seasonal Mass and another Holy Congress, that the marriage thing was the last thing on their minds right now.

 

Anyway, I should just cross the bridge when we get there.

 
 

 

 

3