Chapter  2 – II –
67 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter  2 - II -

 

As for me and Maddie, we were left alone in her private study.  It’s been a while since we had an intimate moment like this, and even though she’s my fiancée, things could still get awkward between us.

 

“…”

 

I could feel her eyes would occasionally steal a glance or two from me.

 

“Maddie?”

 

“Y-Yes?”

 

“You want to talk about something?”

 

“W-Well nope.” she answered, “I just want to look at you, but I feel embarrassed when I do.”

 

Haha…it sure is.  But I don’t mind; if you want to, you may stare for as long as—”

 

Maddie didn’t even let me finish.  She floated towards me and claimed the vacant space of the couch beside where I sat.  She even laid her head on my shoulder as she entangled her fingers to mine.

 

Wow…her hand sure is delicate…

 

“M-Maddie?  I thought you only want to stare?”

 

“Ah, don’t mind me.” she quickly dismissed my question, “The more I look at you, the more I want to cuddle.  It’s fine, right?” Maddie turned at me with her lovely puppy eyes and irresistible smile.

 

The soft sensation of her body and the pleasant smell of her hair made my body’s temperature go up, as well as I could feel something rise within me…and it’s not the shield hero.

 

Calm down, Kuro.  Don’t get carried away.

 

Well, I guess I’d just have to hold out for a while.  Maddie was an important person to me, and if I wanted to be of help to her and see her succeed, I had to respect her and her family as well.  For now, think of her as my student…

 

And Sir Kuro won’t lay a hand on his students, EVER!

 

Besides, all that this pretty girl wanted was a cuddle.  What can go wrong with that?

 

“Kuro?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“You know what?  I’m truly happy to have met you.” Maddie clung to me even tighter, “Thank you for being someone I could rely on always.  I feel safe whenever you’re around.”

 

Hearing those words made the ‘improper’ desires vanish within me in an instant.  The feeling of ‘wanting-to-protect-this-beautiful-girl’ took over.  And for that, I never restrained myself from patting her head.

 

 

After that ‘project presentation’ I had with Maddie and Lily, I have left with a lot of idle time once again.  And since I got nothing else to do, I guess this would be a great time to do what I also had in mind ever since the Battle of Hagena Castle.

 

“…”

 

Looking back at those events, I realized something important.  I needed to learn how to fight properly.  I mean, yes, I protected myself using the matchlock gun and dagger I had with me, but that’s all to it.  It’s not even adequate to defend my life fully, for I lacked training in melee fighting.  

 

What more if I wanted to be of use to Maddie?

 

I knew I started relatively well off in this land; however, this was still another world.  For me, who grew up safely in modern, 21st Century Earth, surviving in a medieval society like Chersea was a different struggle.

 

If I wanted to live independently—not hiding or leeching off Her Holiness’ and Lily’s powers—I must know how to fight with the sword, spear, or any melee weapon available in this place.

 

Good thing I got the right people with me…

 

Lily was one person I could ask to train me.  That ‘Mahan Swordsmanship Style’ not only did sound cool, but it was also defense-oriented for a handicapped warrior if I recalled it right.  But, as she was right now, I didn’t think I could disturb her with all the fuss with the clock and calendar.

 

There’s another person in my mind.  However, I’m not sure if she’s up to it, or not…

 

“Hey there!  Have you seen the Marquise of Monfort?”

 

Eris stared at me when I asked her that question.  Her face had the impression of the question of ‘What?’ written all over it and was distracted from her work of hanging out the laundry to dry.

 

Err…I mean, Mon…fort?” Of all the times I would forget, I really forgot her name when I’m looking for her.  The only thing that stuck was her title, which served as her surname as well.  Well, since that girl had a severe case of chuunibyou, I asked Eris using her most obvious physical trait—the ‘X-like scar’ on her face.

 

Yeah, Monfort went around looking like that.  But one time, she admitted it’s a fake so that she would appear ‘fierce’ and ‘cool’.

 

Oh, Mister Kuro is looking for Sister?”

 

“Ah…yes!” Of course, I almost forgot; the Marquise was Eris’ half-sister.

 

“Well, if you’re looking for Sister…” Eris then took a deep breath.

 

Wait, don’t tell me—

 

“SIIIIISSSSSSSS!!!”

 

“!!!”

 

Damn…Eris’ shout really was something.  Sometimes, I wonder if it’s an innate skill of hers, magical or natural.

 

Hmm…that’s strange.” Eris was looking around; her scream didn’t reach her stepsister just yet, “Usually, Sis would come running once Eris did that.  Guess Eris will have to do it—”

 

Haha…please don’t be.” I quickly stopped her, preferring not to rupture my eardrums again, “I’ll just look around for her.”

 

“Uuooooooooooohhhhhhh!!!”

 

Oh, there she is, Mister Kuro!”

 

“Wha—” 

 

Indeed, not too far away from where we were, a cloud of smoke was billowing.  The maids who were unfortunate to get caught in it were showered with fine dust and sand, and some laundries were dirtied as well.

 

Nevertheless, the person in question finally appeared!

 

“Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooo!!!” was the Marquise’s greeting, along with her drawn sword, “What are you doing to Eriiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssss?”

 

Surprised, I quickly prepared myself to dodge her attack at the last minute, only to be saved by the little maid, just as when the Marquise’s sword was about to hit my neck.

 

“!!!” the Marquise stopped her blade about an inch before she sliced my head off.

 

“Sis, Mister Kuro is actually looking for you, that’s why Eris shouted.”

 

Oh…is that so?” the Marquise sheathed her sword and gave me a pat on the back, “Haha!  Sorry for that, Kuro!  To think I almost beheaded you by mistake…my bad!  Haha…

 

“…”

 

You seriously are thinking of killing me, aren’t you?

 

 

Ha?  You want to train with the sword or the spear?”

 

The Marquise of Monfort stared at me like she had seen a ghost.  I mean, my face looked terrible and all, but was it really strange to ask her about it?

 

“Well, I’ve been to many battles even though I did not volunteer for it.” I told her, “And for most of the time, I’m just some random scared dude hiding behind the skirt of Her Holiness, or Lily, or cowering behind the armor of the men I’m fighting with.”

 

Haha…what a way to put it…” the Marquise had a sardonic expression on her face.

 

But no matter, I’m willing to endure the humiliation just for her to train me.  I bowed in reverence to her, “Please!  You’re the only one I can go to!  Don’t worry, I’m willing to pay you!”

 

“Haha!” there’s that boisterous look on her face, “Bow to me, you peasant!”

 

“I’ll also give you massages if that’s what you want!”

 

“T-That won’t be ne-necessary!”

 

“NO!  Don’t train me for free, please!”

 

“No!  No!  I’m alright with the money and massage!” the Marquise insisted, “But if you’d force me, a silver per session is good enough.  And the massage.”

 

“I won’t force you, alright.  Thanks for the free training, then.”

 

“Ah yes, one silver, please.  And the massage.” her voice emphasized the rate, “It’s my talent fee.”

 

“…” I stared at her with an amused expression.  If you want it, just say so immediately.

 

“W-Well…if y-you’re willing to do it w-with me…” the Marquise blushed, and she became squeamish.

 

Oi, I don’t know what you’re thinking about, but this isn’t a hentai doujin, so quit that lewd expression.”

 

“A what?”

 

“Nothing.  I said you’re pretty!”

 

“Right…” the Marquise of Monfort’s face had a glowing expression to it as if she was all excited to do a training session with me.

 

Yeah, I hope this will go well, though…

 

 

Alright!  First things’ first when trying to learn the way of the sword, is to train your body to handle the sword!”

 

“Got…it!”

 

“Give me another lap after this!”

 

“What…the…hell?”

 

“Shut up and run!”

 

“Y-Yes!”

 

Our training got underway immediately after the Marquise and I reached the deal.  She told me she’d want me to get used to the sword first and then move to other weapons once I got the basics.  But first, yeah, the Marquise noted my rather thin and ‘unhealthy’ body.

 

Of course, that’s the product of ages of just sitting around and playing computer games whenever I’m not teaching.

 

Well, I got her point that I needed to hone my muscles to handle a sword properly.  After all, accurately swinging and thrusting that thing takes a lot of controlled movements.

 

But…

 

“Haa…haa…”

 

“Don’t slack off!”

 

“Ca-Can’t…I…r-rest…for…a bit?”

 

“I’ll work you ‘till you cry ‘Mama’!  Another round of running!”

 

“Eris will cheer for you, Mister Kuro!” I heard the little maid shout from the other side of the courtyard.  She and her other friends from the laundry department went by to watch her big sister work the commoner (that’s me) to death.

 

“Haaaaaaa…” I wondered when my torture would end.

 

 
 

 

 

2