CHAPTER 7 – I – THE MARQUISE’S AMBITIONS
39 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 7 - I - THE MARQUISE’S AMBITIONS

 

The Marquise of Monfort carefully selected who among her paladins would come and who would remain to guard the refugees.  There was an overwhelming response for volunteers for our planned course of action; however, if we all went to attack the enemy, the lives of those whom we were supposed to protect could end up in jeopardy.

 

So, we had to be careful with our words.  The Marquise of Monfort was their commander, and I specifically recommended to her to use the word ‘protect’ rather than ‘be left behind to guard’ so that it would appeal to those who’d remain.

 

At least they won’t think that they are in for some garrison duties.  They are paladins, and paladins should always be in the thick of the battle, upholding their values and oaths.

 

I also elected to be with the Marquise.  My decision was highly influenced by my desire to avenge those children whom I treated earlier, but also partly because of my desire to witness a ‘real battle’ and also so that I could plan our attack.  After leaving instructions to those who would be left behind, we set out for the direction of the town of Cullen.

 

Cullen was a small town located several miles southwest of our secondary camp’s position.  As we were in relative haste to run after the rampaging mercenaries, my companions galloped with their horses.  Of course, for me, who hadn’t even touched a horse in all the 25 years of his life, I had to make some arrangements so that I could accompany the attacking party led by the Marquise of Monfort.

 

For that, she took me for a back ride on her mount.

 

And so, armed with my trusty matchlock and dagger, we rode westward to rush to Cullen’s aid.

 

Personally, the Marquise of Monfort and I were opposed to moving at the soonest possible time.  The paladin captain preferred to wait for the Duke of Braunhauer’s men.  Though I wanted to act, I’d like to plan our attack first before making a move.

 

But the impetuosity of the paladins forced us to attack without preparations.  

 

I can only hope that nothing adverse would happen.

 

 

Fortunately, the Marquise of Monfort knew about the region, since her father’s fief was relatively close to the town, yet it fell on the jurisdiction of another lord, so she rarely visited the place.

 

“Besides, why would I visit that town when our fief could provide more than enough for its people?” she proudly declared.

 

Well, I’ve been wanting to ask about her title though.  It’s been a curiosity for me ever since I met her.   I mean, she was the Marquise of Monfort when her father was the Duke of Braunhauer.  I mean, yes, I know that she’s an illegitimate child, but, if she’s a titled member of the nobility, then she must’ve been holding a fief of her own, right?

 

“About that, well, the March of Monfort is actually a border region to the south under the authority of the Duke of Braunhauer, my father.” she explained to me, “My mother, who died unmarried to the Duke, was the lord of that land.  When she departed to the afterlife, I succeeded in her title, and so I became the marquise.”

 

“I see…”  So that’s how she became the Marquise of Monfort, “You mean, your father didn’t recognize you as his daughter, that’s why you remained the Marquise?”  It’s the only logical explanation for me since Maddie and Lily were telling me about the multiple marriages in this world.  I couldn’t find any other reason that she’d be an ‘illegitimate’ daughter, if that’s the case.

 

Since it’s technically allowed to marry here multiple times, infidelity and adultery are non-existent.

 

“Nope, it doesn’t work that way.” she explained, “It’s more like, I never intended to join the main house on my accord.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“Well, I love my mother’s land, see?  And I prefer to stay that way.” the Marquise of Monfort laughed, “Hey Kuro, don’t you think I’m still young enough to have ambitions of my own?”

 

“Ambitions, huh?

 

“Yep.  I plan to govern the March of Monfort on my own, and make it prosperous like the Duchy of Braunhauer.” she was laughing, yet I could tell that she’s serious in her words, “Who knows?  Maybe in the future, my descendants would become kings and queens of a more powerful kingdom called Monfort.  It’s how Nerfes came into being, see?”

 

For all her quirks and apparent ‘stupidity’, the Marquise of Monfort talking to me right now felt like a different person.  It’s the first time I saw her talk about her dreams and aspirations, and to be honest, those were not just simple ‘goals’—if she’s determined enough, the future of a country and its people could hang in the balance.

 

“And when I’m powerful enough, I’d be able to protect Eris properly as her big sister.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Well, you know the kid.  She’s too naïve and trusting for this cruel world.  And as someone who experienced it before, I don’t want her to become a victim of manipulating people once she becomes the head of the House of Braunhauer.”

 

“You sound like you’d tie yourself to her forever.”

 

“What’s the harm?” the Marquise laughed, “Eris is my family; she remained with me even when I’m at my worst.”

 

I guess I couldn’t blame her for being too devoted, if that’s her reason.  There were only a few people in this world—as well as on the other—that would remain with you once you went through your waterloos.  And for that, even I would remain faithful until the end.

 

“What do you think, Kuro?” she asked, “Are my dreams too shallow and impossible to achieve?”

 

“Honestly, I don’t.” I answered, “In fact, though I admit it’s too ambitious, it’s not impossible.  You know, every reality we have right now started as a wish of someone who dared to dream.  And if you’re focused on it, eventually, opportunities would come for you to take.”

 

“I see…” the Marquise smiled, “Thanks for those words.”

 

“Well, if you think I’m giving you lip-service, I’m not.  I’ve seen a lot of my students do it, and now they’re reaping the benefits of pursuing their dreams.  Remember, ‘ad astra per aspera’.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Oh, it’s just an old saying from my country that meant, ‘To the stars, through hardships’.  It meant that we should strive and fight hard for something we believe we could achieve…for there would come a time when we’d definitely have it.  By the way, a star is something that you can see in our skies when it darkens.  It’s so high up that we initially thought it’s impossible to reach.”

 

“Ad astra per aspera, huh?  What a beautiful phrase…” there was a dreamy tone in her voice when she said that.  As long as I could inspire her, I guess that’s fine.

 

The Marquise of Monfort was then silent as we continued on our march westward.  I said those things to her, but a question remained at the back of my mind.

 

“Lady Monfort?”

 

“Yep?”

 

“I’m just curious…what made you focus on that certain dream of yours?”

 

Oh that?” she chuckled once again, “Well, Kuro, let me ask you.  Do you know my mother?”

 

“Nope.  I’m telling you, I’m from another wo—I mean, country.”

 

Then she asked another paladin, “Hey Lady Fenris, do you know my mother’s name?”

 

The paladin was initially surprised by the question, but she politely shook her head.

 

“Well…” the Marquise of Monfort turned back to me, “So do I.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“I never got to know my mother’s name.” she confessed, “Even my father the Duke only knew her by her first name, Luisa, the Marquise of Monfort.  And though my father loved me as his daughter, he never tried to get to know my mother…even when she died the moment I was born.”

 

“Oh…”  Wow…I never knew that the happy-go-lucky Marquise had such a story, “I’m sorry for that.”

 

“Nope, it’s fine.  The March of Monfort is a poor, obscure fief, formerly on the borders of Amaranth.  Because of that fact, no one bothered to look into its affairs; and the royal family even considered giving it away to our country’s enemies.  We’re so unimportant, even my house’s lineage was lightly recorded in the history books of our country.  You could only read about the Monfort house founder, some notable early descendants, and that’s it.”

 

“I see…” I believe I’m getting the reasons behind the Marquise of Monfort’s aspirations, “So, the reason your dreams are like that, is for you to leave a legacy in this world?”

 

The Marquise gave me a smile, “You know what, I really admire your ability to understand the people around you, Kuro.”

 

“Thanks for that.” Well, honestly, I fully understood the goals of the Marquise of Monfort.  Though it may sound arrogant and high-handed, her dreams were normal for someone who was treated as insignificant.  She was determined to leave a lasting mark in this world, in contrast to her mother, whose identity eventually faded with her passing.

 

It’s what was causing the influx of those stupid videos on the internet back in my world.  Footages of people playing harmful pranks, performing dangerous stunts, non-sensical and idiotic dance numbers, or doing some uneducated, misinformed rants, were all fueled by their desire to gain that infamous ’15-second of fame’.

 

After all, we’re all determined to become someone of significance, and so we try to leave something that would remember us by…no matter how bad, or stupid it was…

 

After all, I believe that ‘real death’ is when everyone else forgets about you as if you don’t exist.

 

 
 

 

 

1