CHAPTER 12 – I – CHERSEA’S STALINGRAD
43 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 12 - I - CHERSEA’S STALINGRAD

 

The city of Amaranth was a walled city centered on the royal fortress, and there were several approaches to enter the city…as well as exit from it.  The sound of the marching army was coming to its southern side, towards the direction of the Duchy of Braunhauer, and the field of mediation.  So, with that, we took the northern route, intending to turn east to Savoy once we traveled far from the capital.

 

“…”

 

There was a deafening silence inside our carriage as it traversed the dust path northwards.  Eris, because of her grief, fell asleep on Jessica’s shoulder, who was the first one to rest.  So was Maddie, who had been continuously awake for two ‘long sleeps’ now.  Lily was also tired, but she was trying to keep herself up.

 

“Hey!”

 

Lily looked at me.

 

“Try to catch some rest.” I told her, “Everything will be alright soon.”

 

“Kuro…” the sadness in her eyes was so overwhelming it caused pain in my heart as well.

 

“Don’t worry.  We’ll get through this, and hopefully, we’ll be able to save those people we love.”

 

Tears fell from Lily’s eyes.  She tried to hide it at first, but she couldn’t keep herself from crying.  I offered her my shoulder; I’m sure Maddie would do the same if she’s awake…

 

 

Meanwhile, the Marquise of Monfort wasn’t taking any chances.  She would send a scouting party ahead of us from time to time since we haven’t really exited the borders of the royal fiefs.  Our travel so far had been uneventful.

 

“Kuro…” she reported to me at the carriage, “Everything’s fine so far.”

 

“Well, then it’s good.  Hopefully, we’ll be crossing the kingdom’s borders by lunchtime later.”

 

“I don’t like it.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“Now that war has begun, I’m sure those nobles had already roused their allies to attack the royalty-held territories.  And if you remember, the prince was telling us that the royal fief was surrounded by the noble forces, and was cut off from outside help.”

 

“Yes, he said that.”

 

“Well, if it is true, then why is it so peaceful in here?”

 

I fell silent upon hearing that.  Indeed, we’ve been traveling for a while, and yet there’s not a sign of any approaching army.  Of course, maybe this was a relatively peaceful road.  But then again, if the Duke claimed the nobles had been surrounding and preparing to attack the royal capital, then how come that this part of the region was devoid of any armed force?

 

Either the Duke is lying to us, or the nobility had forgotten this path…

 

“Lady Monfort, we should keep up our guard.” I told her, “Or we might head for an ambush.”

 

“I already had reconnaissance around the area, they should be back—oh, there they are!”

 

Coming in front of our path was a pair of knights the Marquise had sent to scout the road ahead.  They’ve been waving their hands and were shouting incomprehensible words.  The Marquise met them halfway and then went back to the carriage.

 

She had a pale, terrified expression, “Kuro, they’re here.”

 

“What do you mean?  The rebel army?”

 

“No, it’s much worse.  It’s the Imperial legionnaires, marching directly down this path.  The scouts reported that at least two columns are heading our way.” the Marquise was panicking, “Her Holiness is right all along; the Empire had a hand on this!”

 

“Well, I’ll be damned.  We should turn back then!”

 

“Aren’t you going to play diplomatic games with them?  We’re not at war with these guys, after all!”

 

“Indeed.  There’s no declaration of war.” I explained to the Marquise, “However, with someone going after Her Holiness’ life, and an imperial agent trying to capture the Head Maid into slavery before, I don’t think we’d want to negotiate with such people.  We might run right into their trap.”

 

Ah yes, the Battle of Hagena Castle.” she recalled, “You told me that story before.  Anyway, let’s find another route.”

 

“Are you familiar with this place?”

 

“Well, a bit.  I’m not really confident with my knowledge around this area.”

 

Damn…let’s retreat to Amaranth then!”

 

After careful deliberations about our situation, we turned back our convoy and headed to the capital city, hoping that we could still enter it before it was fully surrounded by the rebel armies and the Imperial Legions.

 

 

***The path between the cities of Amaranth and Devyere, in the temporary headquarters of the Imperial Expeditionary Forces***

 

The empire had allotted five legions out of 35 for its invasion force in Amaranth, a formidable army of 20,000 well-trained legionnaires and 7,500 auxiliaries like the cavalry, archers, magicians, and siege engineers.  Excluded were the various allied armies of the rebellious nobles, and their hired mercenaries, which would amount to about 30,000 additional friendly forces.

 

Meanwhile, the royal armies in the capital of Amaranth could amount to only 2,700 levy militias—composed of men pressed into military service, and the core 1,000-men royal guards.  They were reinforced by a few military orders inside the city—of doubtful allegiance to the crown, and some private armies by the guilds that were headquartered in the merchants’ quarter.

 

General Umberto Benicci watched from afar as his forces invested around the city.  He could still make out the old royal fortress where his family took their last stand before the armies from Nerfes overwhelmed their soldiers.  The banner of the rival royal family that replaced his house in the past still flew at the towers of the castle, and it was an ugly sight for him.

 

“…”

 

An imperial legionary came to him, “Sir, Her Holiness the Saint Seirna of the Flame had finished teleporting the rest of the siege engineers, including their equipment.”

 

“Good.  Tell them to get into their positions and fire at those castle spires.  Those banners taint the Amaranthine sky with their filth.  Take those down.”

 

The soldier saluted and went to do his orders.  Another one came and reported to General Umberto.

 

“Sir, our scouts have reported that a convoy of royal knights was seen coming from the direction of the city of Amaranth.  They are escorting several carriages.”

 

“Carriages?”

 

“Yes sir.  The scouts say that it was flying the banner of the Human Saint.”

 

“Oh…” a foul smile appeared on the general’s lips, “Captain, take four full cohorts of men, and pursue that convoy.  That must be Her Holiness, the Saint of Chersea’s party.  Capture her alive, so we can get her to safety.”

 

The captain, realizing that he was given a highly important task, hopped enthusiastically to do his orders.  Soon enough, about two thousand men were marching toward the northern walls of the city of Amaranth.

 

 

**Kuro**

 

“This is not happening…this is not happening…this is not happening…”

 

Uh…Lady Monfort, it is happening.  Right now.”

 

“Oh…” the Marquise sat down on a rock nearby.  

 

Well, I could understand her concern, though.  Especially when you realized you’ve been trapped in an open field, with an enemy army coming behind, and another enemy force before you.  The city of Amaranth was now under siege, with several siege towers, catapults, and trebuchets being assembled at a relatively safe distance from the defenders.

 

Fortunately, we found a copse of trees in which we could hide our company of paladins and royal knights.

 

“Could we try to the left and right?” I asked.

 

The other members of the paladin corps brought over a map to help us consider our options.

 

“We could try to take the direction to the right since it’s the shortest way to the border of Savoy.” the Marquise offered her solution.

 

“And risk capture, of course.” I countered, “You think these legions won’t know about that?  A Saint was working with them, so yeah.  Not possible.”

 

“Uh…yes.  It’s a stupid choice.” the Marquise admitted, “How about the left?”

 

“I don’t know about that?  You think it’s a viable option?”

 

“Well, aside from running to several nobles supporting the rebellion, I guess it’s a safer option.”

 

“How many nobles are we talking about here?”

 

“Around four?  That includes the fief belonging to the family of the Ban of Kistral.”

 

“So yeah, it’s four different people of doubtful loyalties that we need to convince about our safe passage.  And with the princess of Amaranth with us, I guess we’re going to commit suicide.”

 

“Oh, come on!  I guess it’s worth the try than being captured here at the open field.” the Marquise of Monfort had resigned to our fates, thinking for viable choices, so she suggested that.

 

I fell silent for a moment, attempting to squeeze my mind for other options.  But well, so far, those choices had eluded me…

 

“I suggest we run and break through these armies.”

 

“So it has come to thi—wait, what?” I turned around and saw Maddie standing behind me, wearing the full plate armor of the paladin guard, “Hey, Maddie, you don’t mean to say…”

 

“Well, for as long as it’s not the highly trained and disciplined imperial legionaries, we could do it.” she explained, “Besides, my powers got suppressed, and for now, I’m just Madelaine Ann, Duchess of Rubinforth.”

 

“Correction!” Lily also appeared dressed in another spare plate armor of the paladin guard, “You’re indeed Madelaine Ann, Duchess of Rubinforth…but you forgot your other human title:  the Flower of Dawson Valley, commander of the right wing of the Iron Princess’ army.”

 

“And that’d be you, right, Lily?” I asked.

 

“I am.”

 

“So yeah, now we got two legendary generals from Nerfes to lead us…” I heard the Marquise of Monfort say.

 

“What are you saying?” Maddie laughed, “Aren’t you Amaranth’s Golden Sword of Heaven?”

 

Wow…these ladies with me talking with all their titles in the past were making my head spin.  Honestly, I have little idea what could those titles mean; what I’m confident with was that they’re not just your common damsels-in-distress.  These girls could actually kick asses should they choose to do it.

 

So, uh…can’t we just move ahead and fight if we’re going to do it?  The enemies are upon us, see?

 

“…”

 

Damn, now that I remembered it…I forgot about my dagger and matchlock at the Braunhauer guesthouse.  How will I fight without a weapon?

 
 

 

 

2