CHAPTER 12 – III –
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 12 - III -

 

While the others searched for our escape route, we’ve noticed that the enemy outside ceased attacking our defenses.  The knights were relieved, and so did I.  However, someone pointed out that we should still be on alert, for it might be just ‘the calm before the storm’.

 

A young knight went to the window and peeked.  Indeed, the enemy had stopped trying to break down our barricades.  But what followed was much worse.

 

“Sir Kuro, I can see some imperial legionnaires marching with a flaming ram outside.”

 

“Well, I guess, we’re going to make a stand here, then.” I picked up a spear and a shield.  Though the shield was quite heavy, I’d rather go down with it than let these bastards kill me easily.

 

Taking it as an encouragement, the royal knights took up positions on the passage that led to the basement kitchen.  Using their lances for spears, I had them form a human wall that blocked the choke point.  In case that the enemy broke through, and we hadn’t found the escape route just yet, we’ll hold off their assaults so that the people below would have a few more seconds to search.

 

Who knows, it can lead to a breakthrough!

 

The flaming battering ram began knocking on our barricade.  The scene was horrible, as it looked like the battering ram was a live dragon trying to force its way in.

 

“Here comes the fun part!” a knight shouted.  Where’s the fun in this?

 

The second hit caused cracks to form on the wooden door.

 

“…” By now every one of us was silent, in fearful anticipation of what’s coming.  Oh well, at least, I did my best to protect the girl I love…it’s not that bad at all to die then!

 

Third hit!

 

“Success!  Success!  Success!” A paladin came rushing above to the first floor to deliver the good news, “We found the passageway!”

 

Once again, our hopes went up.  The knights were all smiles, and I told the paladin to put Maddie first on their priority list, and then the wounded.

 

Eh?  But how about you, Sir Kuro?”

 

Fourth hit!

 

“Well, I’ll stand with these guys to allow you to escape.” I winked at her, “You know, you paladin ladies had several VIPs to protect, and as I am your co-captain, it’s my job as well.”

 

“But…”

 

“Don’t worry.  We’ll also make a run for it once you guys are safe.”

 

The paladin saluted me for the last time and then disappeared into the basement.

 

Then, a knight asked me, “Sir Kuro, don’t you think it’s better if we attack them once they broke through?”

 

Eh?  Why?”

 

“Well, I’m thinking, Sir, if we take positions here, and we got eliminated early, won’t these bastards know that something’s going on below?”

 

Fifth hit!

 

I pondered on what the knight raised.  Indeed, if they took us out and the evacuation below was not yet completed, then our sacrifices here would be in vain.

 

“Alright guys, transfer some barricades into this passageway.  Block it well, so that even us wouldn’t be able to get in.” I ordered them, “As soon as these guys break through, don’t give them any quarter.  The future of Chersea rests on our hands!”

 

“Yes!”

 

I don’t know, but learning that they’re about to die for some noble cause gave the knights the morale boosts they needed, and I could feel that my companions were all fired-up to give their best in fighting for their beloved saint, and her ideals for humanity.

 

I guess this is the power of chivalry, huh?

 

 

**Madelaine**

 

Good thing we found the hidden passageway that the royal servant Tatiana was telling us about.  It was a narrow, dark path that led to nowhere.  However, this was not the time to question things now that the enemy was about to pounce on us.

 

“Hurry!  Get the wounded inside!” I ordered the able-bodied paladins to carry their wounded allies to safety.

 

I took the sleeping Lily with me.  Back in the last war, I used to carry her whenever she fell asleep and exhausted after the ‘Bloodbath’ rampage, so this task was no big-deal to me.  The Marquise of Monfort also led her sister inside, with the princess, Jessica, following them.

 

“Your Holiness!” a paladin then called out to me.  She was panting, a sign that she came from the upstairs at the first floor, and hurried down here, “Sir Kuro and the royal knights blockaded the passageway to the first floor, and they stood to fight the rebels trying to get in!”

 

My heart immediately melted when I heard that.  My legs wobbled and nearly gave way.  Lily almost fell from my back, fortunately, the Marquise was quick to assist me.  The other paladins also moved in to stop me from going back.

 

“Your Holiness!  Please stop this!” they pleaded, “It’s your safety that’s our priority; please don’t do this!”

 

Aaaarrrgh!  Please work!  Teleport!  Teleport!”  I desperately tried to activate my teleportation spell, but it was all in vain.

 

“Your Holiness!” the Marquise wrapped her arms around me, “Please calm down.”

 

“Kuro!  He’s back there!” I cried out, “I need to go back to him!”

 

“His sacrifice would all be wasted if you go back, Your Holiness.” she reiterated, “Kuro had created this opportunity for us, using his life, so that you could continue on your ideals for this land!  Please don’t throw away his trust in you!”

 

“Your Holiness…please be strong!” Jessica also came to encourage me, “We all wanted to go back for him, but knowing Kuro, we would only get him mad for wasting this opportunity he created for us.”

 

The Marquise and Princess Jessica’s words felt like a heavy hammer that crushed my spirit, and though I wanted to run back to the palace, I realized I would only throw away Kuro’s sacrifice—as well as the others—if I did just that.  My heart was heavy, and tears were falling uncontrollably from my eyes.  

 

Still, I picked myself up and ordered the other paladins…

 

“C-Continue…f-for…ward.”

 

Those were the heaviest words that came from my mouth.  Kuro, a good friend and the man I loved, would be sacrificed just for me to live and continue my beliefs.

 

The Marquise and Jessica stayed with me for a while I cried my heart out…

 

 
 

 

 

2