CHAPTER 2 – III –
29 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 2 - III -

 

The meeting in the War Room took a bit longer even after we ironed out the details of how we’re going to wage the military campaign against the Imperials in Amaranth.  The remaining talk was concerned about the leadership of what they called the ‘Holy Coalition’—basically, the kingdoms and other states that will support the Saint’s cause.

 

In the end, it was Lily who was selected to head the entire coalition.  Because of his vast experience in leading footmen into battle, the half-dwarf Prince of Stadtsberg was given the leadership of the footmen, along with the Count of Tillie.  The Count of Brooke, for his previous links with the cavalry, was assigned the cavalry wing.  The Duke of Greene was in charge of the logistics and supply of our army, while the Earl of Yaris was given the ‘espionage’ department.  He’s the one we’ll depend on for the ‘rumors’.

 

Finally, because Nerfes was the biggest contributor to our coalition, Sir Simon became our liaison to the other kingdoms, should they decide to join our fight.

 

“Okay, so Your Highness Princess Lilyhaven, it’s time for you to pick your second-in-command.”

 

“Well, Sir Kuro’s the only one who doesn’t have a responsibility yet.” Lily explained, “So, I’m picking him for the position.”

 

“That’s great!  At least, the commoners would find a connection to support our cause through him!”

 

Of course.  I should’ve seen this event.  Putting a commoner in a place of command would surely make the other commoners realize this is their fight as well.

 

“Alright, I guess we should adjourn now, Your Highnesses, Your Excellencies.” Lily told them, “Her Holiness must’ve been done with explaining how an ‘hourglass’ works.”

 

“Ooh!” the Duchess exclaimed, “I think I wanted to see for it myself!”

 

“By the way, it was Sir Kuro who suggested it to Her Holiness.”

 

Ooh!  He’s really something, eh?”  

 

The nobles crowded around me.  Now I knew what made them treat me like they did; Lily and Maddie must’ve been telling them tall tales about me.

 

“I’d like him to join my household if he wanted to.” the Duchess of Henristone said to Lily, “Is there any chance of that would happen?”

 

“My apologies, Your Excellency, but I guess Sir Kuro is already engaged.”

 

Uh…Your Highness, I don’t think I asked him to marry into my house.  Besides, I still want to live my life as a single woman.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Please be at ease, I only asked if Sir Kuro would like to become a knight under my service, nothing else.”

 

“Oh…”

 

Well, at least that put Lily at ease.  I mean, come on.  Not every lady out there would want to marry someone like me once I found a solution to the problem, or saved them from goblins or orcs, or any other villain.  

 

That only works in your generic isekai power fantasy novels, after all…

 

“Your Highness Princess Lilyhaven, do you perhaps like Sir Ku—”

 

“Alright Your Excellencies, Your Highnesses,” Lily was panicking, “Thanks for your time, we’ll see each other soon!”

 

I guess that covered nothing at all.  I mean, the Duchess was a lady, and no one could read another lady except for her own kind.

 

You’re terrible at hiding your secrets, Lily.

 

 

Once the members of the Holy Coalition were gone, Lily and I went to Maddie’s room.

 

“How’s the meeting with the ministers, Lily?” the Saint greeted us upon entering her quarters.

 

“Well, we ironed out a lot of things to prepare for the upcoming conflict.” Lily replied, “And, thanks to Kuro, we finally reached a plan.”

 

Maddie turned her eyes on me and stared silently.  Then she got up from the chair she was sitting on and went to her bed.

 

“…”

 

Well, her silent treatment just sucked.  It’s kind of painful to watch her like that.

 

“What about you?  How did your hourglass demonstrations go?” I guess Lily felt the awkward distance between Maddie and me, and so she sought to break the ice.

 

“I’m tired of all the explaining.” Maddie replied, with her back turned away from us, “The kings kept on asking the same questions, but I think I made them understand in the end…though I had to use a little magic to do that.”

 

“Haha…” Lily let out an unpleasant laugh, “Maddie, we need to talk.”

 

“What?”

 

“Kuro’s here, you know.”

 

“And so?”

 

“Don’t go throwing tantrums again, young lady.” Lily sighed, “We’re about to go into war, and the last thing that we wanted is for you and him to be on bad terms.  We don’t even know if we’re going to live through this.”

 

“Sorry.” Maddie was quick to repent on her actions, “It’s just that I’m frustrated at myself, I couldn’t face you, Kuro, for long.”

 

“Why?” I asked her.

 

“You know, I couldn’t help but blame myself, no matter how much you try to reassure me.  If I didn’t summon you here because of my selfish whims, you wouldn’t have died, nor get yourself involved in this mess I made.”

 

“Maddie, it’s fine if you think that way.” I told her, patting her head, “But, since I’m here, I’d like to be someone of use as well.  When we had our argument before, I kept asking myself after that if this is the way I should take it.  And you know what I realized?”

 

“What?”

 

“I could not turn back, not when the girl I love was drawing her strength from me.”

 

“But I don’t want you to endanger yourself…”

 

Hah!  Don’t worry, I got Lily with me!”

 

“Hey, I’m not your guard, Kuro.” Lily countered, “You’re the one who’ll be guarding me.”

 

“What?  You expect me, who couldn’t even cast a magic spell, to defend you, the legendary Iron Princess?”  I laughed, “But seriously, Maddie, I won’t change my decision now.  I’ll fight for you, and for Lily, and for the Chersea you guys love.  Please trust me in this, Your Holiness.”  

 

Then I knelt before her to show my sincerity.

 

“Yes.  That’s why I let you go with Lily this time in the War Room.” Maddie revealed, standing up and facing me, “You know, the emperor didn’t come, so I’m coordinating with the other kings who would cooperate with us.  We’re placing sanctions on the Empire, as of this moment.  And if the Imperial envoy’s words were true, starting today, we’re at war with them.”

 

“So, it has begun, huh?” Lily quipped.

 

“Yes…” Maddie replied, pulling a sword from her palm by magic, “And so, I know it’s been way too overdue, Kuro, but now, I pronounce you as my official paladin.  May you protect me with your life, forever and ever…”  

 

She tapped my shoulders with the flat of her sword.

 

Uh, Maddie, that end part, is it really included in the paladin guard’s oath?” I heard Lily ask her, quite amused.

 

“Well, so that he won’t be apart from me, you know.  It’s like insurance, see?”

 

 

Insurance, huh?  I wonder what Maddie meant by that?

 

Reconciling with her differences about my involvement in her cause, I guess Maddie just wanted to ensure my safety by elevating me to a real paladin.  After all, a paladin was like a knight—I could now hire squires to protect me in battles, which was sure to come now that a state of war was existing between the Empire and the coalition of north Chersean kingdoms led by Maddie and Lily.

 

Well, my fiancé’s that kind of person…

 

But then again, even though I wanted to do that, my finances were lacking to hire a squire, let alone a group of those.  And I don’t intend to ask money from Maddie, nor spend the gold I had.

 

I got Lily with me anyway, haha!

 

But kidding aside, I don’t want to hire a squire.  It’s an additional burden for me as well.

 

“…”

 

Wait, if I became a paladin, then that means…I’m a little noble now?

 

Well, I know little about Chersea’s peerage system, but if that’s so, it could prove useful in the coming days.  After all, Maddie gave me a brooch that showed I’m a member of her paladin guard, and a real paladin, too.

 

Hoh?  Seems like Mister Kuro has something in his mind.” I heard a familiar voice say from behind me, “I knew it!  There’s something that has happened!”

 

I turned and saw the little maid, Lady Eris Braunhauer, following me.

 

“I just found you, Mister Kuro!  See, I was on my way to pick up the dirty clothes from Her Holiness’ room when I saw you.” she explained to me, maybe because she was expecting my question, “Did something really happen?”

 

“Huh?” I was unnerved by her question.  Earlier, Lily asked me to keep the existence of the coalition a secret just between me, her, and Maddie.  And with Eris’ tarnished reputation, I don’t think I could trust her right now, though she may tell us she already sided with Maddie.

 

Oh, so something really happened!”

 

“What?  H-How could you confirm that?”

 

“Well, for one, you’re panicking.” Eris pointed out, “I could see it all over your face, Sir Kuro!”

 

“Oh…that…haha!  Wait…you just called me ’Sir Kuro’?”

 

“I can see your holy brooch from here.” she chuckled, “So, Her Holiness the Lady Madelaine has already made you her paladin, huh?

 

“Right…”,

 

“Yes…and there’s something else, no?”

 

“Eris, were you reading my mind?”

 

The little maid laughed, “No!  No!  What made you think I could read minds, Sir Kuro?  I’m just an ordinary human!  I could only read the gestures.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Yes!” she nodded, “And you know that once you told a lie, Sir Kuro, you’re turning your head to the left?”

 

H-Ha?  I didn’t know that!”  Honestly, it’s the first time I learned of that fact about myself.  Eris, you’re really scaring me, kid, you know that?

 

“Well, I won’t pry much further into your secrets, Sir Kuro.” Eris finally backed down, “I know I did something that would require me to double my efforts in regaining your trust.  But, whatever it is, let me tell you that you could always ask help from me.”

 

“Thank you, Lady Braunhauer!”

 

“No, please.  Don’t call me like that; I still have lots of things that I did that is not worthy of respect.” she bowed, “So, before you give me the respect, at least let me repay for my sins.”

 

“It’s alright…” Somehow, I’m pitying Eris.  But, I guess I shouldn’t say it loud, for this little girl had a big pride in herself and her father’s name.

 

“And honestly, Sir Kuro?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“One of those sins was that I secretly creep into your room whenever you’re sleeping to watch you.”

 

Eris…you’re really one scary kid.

 
 

 

 

2