CHAPTER 5 – I – REGRETS
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 5 - I - REGRETS

 

***The borders of Devyere and Savoy, a few leagues into the Savoian territory…***

 

Concurrent with the events in the Dawson Valley area, the army of the Duke of Savoy, along with a contingent of soldiers from Nerfes under the command of Prince Simon Hugh Reed of Nerfes, waited in sweltering heat for the legions marching to conquer their land.

 

“…”

 

Like Amaranth, Savoy’s west was covered in forests, which extended all the way to Devyere.  Simon and his co-commander, the Duke of Savoy, purposefully encamped in a small clearing in the middle of the forest path, which led to the town of Huirot—the westernmost land in Savoy.  The plan seemed simple, for the combined armies of Nerfes and Savoy simply blocked the road that had access to the country, and the rest of west of north Chersea.  But Simon and the Duke also deployed men in an ambush around their flanks.

 

“…”

 

The entire allied force was apprehensive about the sounds of the approaching enemy army.  From what they’ve gathered, it was composed of two legions, along with friendly Amaranthine armies, with a total number of 20,000 as opposed to their 15,000.

 

They are outnumbered.

 

Nevertheless, Sir Simon’s efforts to bring in the Duke of Savoy into the coalition bore fruit, and with his cooperation, they could launch that ambush, leading to the Massacre at Devyere.  Now that the Empire decided to strike back and invade Savoy and Stadtsberg, he felt it was his obligation to help the Duchy repel the Imperial legions from its land.

 

“Here they come.” Simon heard the Duke muttered, “Time to tell these bastards that they are in the wrong place.”

 

“Yes, Your Excellency!”

 

The first units of the Imperial legions finally appeared on their sight.  It was the cavalry, and much to the allies’ dismay, on the hands of the horsemen were several severed heads of their comrades.  Upon reaching a certain distance, the Imperial cavalry then hurled the grisly items towards the Nerfes-Savoian lines.

 

Some men panicked, but it was quickly dealt with by their officers.

 

A head eventually landed on the feet of the horse of the Duke of Savoy, “Looks like these fuckers defeated the ambush party.” he stated the obvious.

 

“What shall we do then?” Simon asked.

 

“Well, isn’t it obvious?  We avenge my men.  Your Highness, shall we begin our attack?”

 

“You bet!”

 

The battle of Savoy then begun with the clashing of the men of Nerfes and Savoy against the legionnaires led by the Imperial expedition commander, Umberto Benicci, and the Crown Prince of Amaranth, David von Albert…

 

 

**Lily**

 

Just like when he said we should win battles, Kuro won the battle of Dawson Valley for us.

 

“…”

 

Before we engaged the Imperial legions trying to invade Stadtsberg, he kept on rambling about a certain ‘Hannibal’ and how that man defeated an overwhelming army with his cunning and knowledge of his soldiers’ abilities.  He further stated that he’d do a ‘Cannae’ and that he would leave no one alive among his enemies.

 

And Kuro delivered.

 

 

With his ruse, he made the Imperials believe that we’re losing, only for them to realize that our retreat was a way to get them surrounded.  The Imperial cavalry was not a threat to us—they were of doubtful quality than our own knights; it’s in the well-trained and disciplined legionnaires that the Empire’s military strength lies.

 

They proved those qualities by not retreating on the battlefield unless necessary, and as a result, Kuro killed them all.

 

“…”

 

But I’m never happy.  Nor do I think Maddie will…

 

The soldiers and mercenaries were cheering for him as they entered our fort in Stadtsberg in a triumphant procession, but Kuro never smiled.  His bloodied clothes were something that I couldn’t imagine seeing him wearing.

 

“…”

  

After he left his spear to another soldier and removed his sword from his waist, he continued to the war room, where the rest of our army’s commanders gathered.

 

I kept on asking myself, what happened to him?  It’s as if he was a completely different man.  His face showed no emotion as he ordered the deaths of thousands of our prisoners after stripping them of their belongings.

 

This isn’t the Kuro we knew!

 

I guess it’s only my opinion, but he became grim and serious.  Not only that, there was time I would catch a glimpse of him crying over that broken sword he calls ‘Luisa’.  I don’t know, but maybe he was losing his wits after being involved in a lot of dangerous situations here.  

 

After all, Kuro’s just some ordinary person back in his original world…

 

“…”

 

“Your Highness, General von Leese…” a soldier had come to my room, “Your presence at the war council is appreciated.”

 

Ah, yes.” I stood up and prepared myself, “Please tell the commanders that I’m on my way.”

 

The orderly saluted and hurried back to the war-room.  I took one last look at Maddie’s portrait that was hung on my quarters’ wall, before heading to the post-battle meeting.

 

 

It was noisy at the war council when I arrived.  The commanders of the coalition army were arguing on the next best course of action to take.

 

“What’s with the apprehensions?” I asked.

 

“Your Highness!” they gave me the customary salute before continuing, “A report just came in from the Duchy of Savoy.  They are asking for our help in repelling the Imperial invasion of their territory.”

 

Hm?  I thought Nerfes had already sent help to the Duke.”

 

Err…Your Highness, that force was defeated and the Duke of Savoy was killed.” the Duke of Greene was reluctant to tell that information to me.  But he decided to reveal it, since it was a matter of strategic importance.

 

It’s as if blood was drained from my face when I heard that.  That army from Nerfes was led by Simon, and if it was defeated, what happened to him?

 

“The second prince of Nerfes was wounded, but he’s fine, according to the reports.” the Duke of Greene added.  It was not a secret to them that Simon, Maddie, and I were close friends, that’s why he said that.

 

“The army of Savoy and Nerfes retreated to the town of Huirot to prevent the legionnaires from flanking us.” the Prince of Stadtsberg stated, “They were being besieged there as we speak, and were asking for our help.”

 

“And with that, we should continue on our offensive to the southern flank of Amaranth” It was Kuro who brought up that topic, “If we wanted to help them, we could relieve the pressure of the siege by moving on the Imperial’s southern flanks.”

 

“That would be irresponsible, Sir Kuro!” the Count of Brooke sharply rebuked him, “The Duke of Savoy is an ally of us for allowing our armies to operate secretly in his territory, and when he needs our help, we abandon him?”

 

“We should attack the legions invading Savoy to defeat the threat to our flanks.”  The Count of Tillie also supported the Count of Brooke, “Not only do we send a message of support to the Duke, but it would also secure our base here in Stadtsberg.”

 

Kuro, however, insisted on his proposal, “We do not intend to abandon them, but it would waste our meager resources to attempt relief.  Diverting men to attack the legions in Savoy would weaken our southern thrust into Amaranth and would only prolong the war.”

 

“Sir Kuro…” it was the Prince of Stadtsberg who spoke, “You know I always support you in your plans, however, for this one, I’d side with the Count of Brooke.  We should send people to Savoy if we’re aiming to galvanize the support of the kingdoms in Chersea for Her Holiness’ cause.”

 

“But the opportunity to defeat the Imperial legions in Amaranth was here already!”  But Kuro remained stubborn, “What’s with that kind of thinking?  It’s not like we’re not doing our own sacrifices!  A few more men’s lives would not equal to the lives of thousands of Cherseans waiting for an end to this conflic—”

 

“!!!”

 

The entire war council was taken aback when I stepped forward and gave Kuro a slap on his face.

 

“K-Kuro…” I could feel anger seething in me, “Those…those ‘few men’s lives’…one of them is our—Maddie and I—friend!  How could say that?”

 

A moment of awkward silence filled the room where the war council was being held.  Kuro had the same surprised expression on his face.

 

I never showed it to the council, but I wanted to cry right now.  My feelings were conflicted; I don’t want to hurt Kuro, but then, I wanted to hurt him by saying that to Simon.  They’re friends, too, right?  Why would he consider Simon’s injuries as a sacrifice that had to be made?

 

It only sounds good, but when you’re maimed or dead, nothing is worthy at all!

 

“I…I’m the commander of this coalition force.  For now, Sir Kuro is temporarily relieved of his responsibilities as my second-in-command.” I asserted my authority, “Prepare the men.  We’re marching for Savoy tomorrow.”

 

Kuro then walked out of the council.

 

 
 

 

 

1