Chapter 2 — Hinata…?
1k 14 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Fertile Soil (F)] → [Fertile Soil (E)]

New skill unlocked.

[Beetle Carrier (F)]

Our reunion was kept short as she had a lot to do. I don't know what she does or needs to do, but it seems important, so I try not to keep her any longer and returned to my focus on growing my skills.

After I had unlocked [Aether Field] and [Fertile Soil] all life within my range grew a little faster and a little healthier. 

Alas, the healthier plantlife attracted more bugs, insects, and small animals, which resulted in more of my leaves being eaten, and less energy being produced by [Photosynthesis]

The reason why I was being attacked more than the other plant life was due to the heavier Aether within my leaves (and bark) was like a drug to the insects and bugs. Every time I shook them off my leaves, they would all rush back as fast as they could.

So after thinking a little, I decided to improve my [Growth] rank to outgrow their eating speed.

For a time, I was still on the losing end, but after it ranked up it became a stalemate.

[Growth (C)] → [Growth (B)]

Satisfied with this improvement, I turned my attention to the plant life that grew around me.

Vibrant and lush emerald green grass surrounded and filled my field, leisurely swaying to the small occasional gusts of wind.

⟨ So calm and soothing~ The life of grass looks much more peaceful than a trees... ⟩

Disdain.

Towards myself, or more specifically what I had. I was basically a bug-infected tree right now, which is exactly the cause and direction my disdain was aimed towards.

Munch munch munch

⟨ Tsk. ⟩

2 days later, Hinata returned in a rather bright mood, walked straight towards me, twirled around, and sat down to lean against my trunk.

We talked as we used to about how our days been, but this time I was able to properly converse with her and after a while, we drifted to the topic of skills.

"Ehhh?! You have skills too, Hanako?!"

⟨ Y-yeah, is it that strange? ⟩

"Not only is it strange, but it's also the first I've ever heard of a tree having skills... There isn't much evidence to prove this theory but to have and use skills, you need a heart. This allows you to have a [code] and that further allows you to unlock, improve, or learn new skills... Wait, don't tell me you have a heart?"

I felt embarrassed by her inquisitive gaze that demanded the truth. Her sparkling eyes which threatened to strip me of my bark and dig into my body to find it herself frightened me, so I had to answer her before such thoughts became reality.

⟨ I do... ⟩

"You do?!"

What I feared would happen, happened, and she shot straight up from her sitting position and grabbed onto my bark. 

⟨ W-w-w-wait, Hinata, don't kill me! I want to live! I want to live! ⟩

"I just want to get a closer look!!"

⟨ Ahhh! Stop! stop! ⟩

"A tree with a heart. This should be impossible, yet here you are. Come on Hanako, I'll be gentle~"

⟨ Y-y-you're crazy! Hiya! Take my flying beetle barrage attack! ⟩

Finally, I could use these pesky beetles for something useful, as I sent them flying directly towards Hinata's face.

"Okay okay! I'm sorry, I was joking~!"

Of course, I knew that. Her heart had no malicious intent towards me but was filled with excitement and playfulness.

[Wriggle (C)] → [Wriggle (B)]

Joy. 

Amusement.

Awe.

After having shared a moment of joy together, Hinata sat down under the light pink shade my leaves cast below.

Yes, I had pink leaves. Hinata had said I was a Cherry Blossom Tree, and my pink leaves were the proof of such. 

But I corrected her saying that I was an [Aether Tree] as displayed in my [code]

"[Aether Tree]? I've never heard of such a species before. Can you tell me about it?" She asked, but sadly I had to disappoint her as the description was filled with question marks.

"Then what about Aether, is there anything about that?"

⟨ All it says is that it's the purest and most stable form of energy ⟩

"If it's written in your [code] then it can only be true. It should be similar to mana..."

⟨ About that, what is mana exactly? ⟩

"Well, a long time ago it just suddenly appeared. But there are speculations that it had always been present, it's just that it was too thin and we were simply unable to detect or feel it at the time. We also know that it's everywhere. In the air, and earth. In the tallest trees and vast forests, to the smallest blade of grass. Even inside you and me, and the bugs eating away at your leaves~ It's also what allows [Challenger]'s to use their skills"

After hearing a not so informative answer, I returned to her question about Aether and further explained how my related skills worked.

First, I had [Aetherium Heart] which converts energy produced from [Photosynthesis] and nutrients absorbed from other sources, into Aether.

Secondly, the Aether is pumped from my heart and into my [Aether Circuit]'s which spread all throughout my body.

And lastly, excess Aether escapes the [Aether Circuit], creating the [Aether Field] around me.

"That's... Really amazing Hanako, you're really amazing!"

Awe. 

Astonishment.

Doubt.

Envy.

Was she envious of my ability? I shook it off as it is only natural. Anyone would be envious if they found out someone was born, or in my case, reincarnated with special abilities.

I explained to her about my skills a little more in-depth and she pondered a little about what I had said.

"So you can assign your skills to anything inside your [Aether Field]?"

⟨ That's what it says ⟩

"Can you try designating [Growth] to me?"

⟨ What? Why? ⟩

"You know... To make me 'bigger'"

She spoke with a small shaky voice and she kept looking away, fidgeting with her fingers or kicking the grass randomly.

⟨ What if you turn into a giant?! ⟩

"No! I mean... Y-y-you know... My... Bigger..."

Her words trailed off and her face started slowly turning red as her voice became almost inaudible. Without having the courage to speak, she lightly patted her flat chest.

Embarrassed.

Nervous.

Afraid.

Expectant.

For a moment, my entire body froze. Every leaf, branch, and root went stiff as realization hit me, and with such overwhelming emotions pouring into my own heart, even I began to feel really embarrassed.

⟨ O-o-okay, I'll give it a try! ⟩

Oh my god, my voice! 

I was stuttering just as bad as her.

[Would you like to allocate the skill [Growth (B)] to Satou Hinata?]

(Yes/No) → (Yes)

[Aetherium Heart (S)]

[Allocated skills: Growth (1/1)]

[Assigned targets: Satou Hinata (1/1)]

Thankfully, Hinata had been standing within my [Aether Field] for a while now, which allowed the Aether around me to flow into her body, giving me an almost perfect view of her insides. 

Unfortunately, however, when I tried to grow a specific part of her body, I was unable to do so.

⟨ I'm sorry Hinata, my skill won't work for more accurate and specific tasks ⟩

Disappointed.

Doubt.

Humiliated.

Anger.

⟨ Please calm down Hinata... I would really like to help, but I can't... ⟩

Reluctance.

Doubt.

Acceptance.

Apologetic.

"Sorry Hanako, I was just a little-"

⟨ It's alright, don't worry I'm not mad or anything. 〉

For most of the day, we talked about our skills until Hinata had to leave again. 

⟨ When will be the next time you visit? 〉

"I'll try to visit on winter vacation, alright?"

⟨ Okay, I'll be waiting for you then 〉 

"Yeah, see you next time Hanako~!"

⟨ See you next time Hinata! 〉

6 years and 2 weeks old 

[H: 7.5m] → [8.8m]

[Beetle carrier (F)] → [Beetle carrier (E)]

[Aetherium Heart (S)]

[Allocated skills: Growth (1/1)]

[Assigned targets: Grass (1/1)]

Ever since Hinata had left, I've been experimenting with my [Aether Field], or more specifically, the skills I can assign to things inside that field. And although grass already has the [Photosynthesis] skill, it wasn't nearly as strong as mine, and with my own intervention, the grass was able to produce more energy leading to its rapid growth, reaching as tall as half a meter and still growing.

6 years and 4 weeks old

[H: 8.8] → [9.5m]

New skill acquired.

[Beetle Barrage (F)] 

[Effects: Multiple beetle projectiles = Speed/Damage↑]

I've now gone at war with the beetles.

Thankfully, such a dense area with bugs attracted a lot of birds and other small animals that fed off of them started to make themselves home either making nests on my branches or digging under my roots.

Starlings and grackals occupied most of my crown (mass of branches and leaves) and even a couple of squirrels.

I couldn't be happier, as the two small birds would eat the Japanese bugs, and occasionally the squirrels would eat some of my leaves.

This didn't upset me as much because they would throw the beetles away which was more efficient than me wriggling my leaves.

6 years and 6 weeks old

[H: 9.5m] → [11m]

I could feel that after growing a few more meters I would advance a stage. 

Other than that, there wasn't much progress.

6 years and 2 months old

[H: 11m] → [13.8m]

[Beetle Barrage (F)] → [Beetle Barrage (E)]

New skill acquired.

[Lesser Charm (F)]

[Effects: Attractive qualities are enhanced]

⟨ Yabe!! ⟩

Instinctively, I spoke in Japanese. 

The problem was that [Charm] made my already alluring leaves even more so. This means the second beetle war is coming...

6 years and 3 months old 

[H: 13.8m] → [16.2m]

[Stage: Small Tree] → [Medium Tree]

[Wriggle (B)] → [Wriggle (A)]

[Beetle Barrage (E)] → [Beetle Barrage (D)]

[Beetle carrier (E)] → [Beetle carrier (D)]

[Fertile soil (E)] → [Fertile soil (D)]

[Lesser Charm (F)] → [Lesser Charm (E)]

New skills acquired.

[Bend (F)]

[Effects: It is easier to bend parts of yourself]

[Lesser Rejuvenation (F)]

[Effects: Restores lost vitality]

[Lesser Regeneration (F)]

[Effects: Slowly heals minor wounds]

I finally learned a skill that makes it easier to bend my branches after months of trying to do so with [Wriggle]

Not only that, a lot of skills improved and I even learned another two skills which helped with my ability to heal half-eaten leaves.

⟨ Hahahaha!! All forces, advance towards the enemy front lines! No longer shall we hide behind our nests and bark, suffering these damned beetles mindless slaughter of your brethren. Of course, they are only leaves! But we are all brothers and sisters at heart! ⟩

Chirp chirp!

Tweet tweet!

Click click click!

⟨ Indeed, we are! Now my soldiers! Today we end this war! Today we fight for those we have lost! Today we fight to protect our home, our family, our friends!! TODAY!!! WE FIGHT FOR FREEDOM!!!! ⟩

Collective warcry shouts.

The leaves shook vigorously, flinging beetles in every direction while the small birds picked them off, swiftly flying through the air like veteran pilots.

The ants who had taken refuge within my bark also began their swarm against the beetles who took hold of the lower branches, viciously attacking them and bringing their dead bodies to the Queen to further reproduce more soldiers and workers.

The squirrels as well had taken up arms, smashing their nuts on the hard shells of the enemy beetles. 

It was mayhem. But the alliance enjoyed it. Not the mindless slaughtering and deaths. No. But the inevitable victory and freedom from the beetle empire's grasp.

And after a short yet infinitely long battle... 

⟨ WHAT!! General Starlington, I thought you said the beetle empire had cut their ties with their allied nations?! ⟩

Chirp chirp!!!

⟨ Then what the hell is that?! ⟩

In the distance was a swarm of bugs, a locust, like a black wave of death advancing towards us.

⟨ ALL FORCES!! RETREEEAAT!! ⟩

The birds returned to their nests after a filling meal, while the ants also retreated to their hive. 

The squirrels, however, were still on the ground taking care of surviving beetles and reclaiming lost ammunition.

⟨ Mr. and Mrs. Cheeks, return to your quarters immediately! Take cover from the advancing enemy reinforcements!! Damnit, they can't hear me! ⟩

The squirrels were too busy to hear my warnings and I couldn't help but look away as the swarm were less than 30 meters from us, and rapidly approaching.

29m

27m

26m

22m...

Fwooosh

⟨ No way... ⟩

Tweet tweet?!

⟨ Hahaha! Worry not colonel Grackal! Our allies have returned from their expedition to the beetle empire's homeworld! We're saved!! ⟩

The swarm of locusts was engulfed in red hot flames that appeared to be coming from a person's hands.

Walking past him was a group of several figures following a familiar girl.

"Hello Hana-"

⟨ We're saved! ⟩

"Ahem, Hanako"

⟨ We've won the war!! Hahaha! ⟩

"HANAKO!!"

⟨ Eh?! Oh, Hinata! Welcome home~! ⟩

"Phew, yes, I'm home. What were you screaming about?"

⟨ N-n-n-nothing?! ⟩

"Really?"

⟨ Haha... Ha... Nice weather we're having~ ⟩

"You can't even see the weather-"

"Student Hinata, is this the tree you were talking about?"

"Yeah... Her name's Hanako, she's a good-"

Anxious.

"And how can you prove that it can do what you've told us?"

"Let me just have a talk with her, you'll see soon"

Apologetic.

⟨ I even learned new skills a few days before your arrival ⟩

"Yes, about those skills, do you mind telling me about them?"

Curious.

Expectant.

Anxious.

⟨ Sure... But, are you okay? You seem a little- ⟩

"I'm fine, it's just been a rough week for me. But the skills?"

"Student Hinata."

"Uh, just a second Sakamoto-sama"

Impatience.

I was feeling a little skeptical about this situation but because Hinata insisted that she was fine I told her about the new skills.

She was a little stunned, then sighed in relief as she turned around to talk to the other figures behind her.

I was unable to hear what they were saying, neither could I feel what their hearts felt, but it seemed to be a good thing as they seemed to be getting a little excited as they stared at me.

"Hanako, I need you to assign a skill to the Dean here to show that you can indeed use skills, okay?"

⟨ Okay! Then which skill should I use? ⟩

"How about [Lesser Regeneration]?"

⟨ Sure~ And which area should I heal? ⟩

"Wait for me to take his hand, I'll cut a small wound into his palm and you'll heal it okay?"

⟨ Okay~ ⟩

I then focused my attention on the taller figure at the center of the group and waited for Hinata's signal.

[Aetherium Heart (S)]

[Allocated skills: Lesser Regeneration (1/1)]

[Assigned targets: Gintoki Sakamoto (1/1)]

At the center of his palm was a small cut. The only way I could tell was because of the conspicuous black line that was devoid of any color.

The Aether within the air moved towards his palm and to my astonishment, it filled the void and returning it to its original look.

Dean Sakamoto looked up at me and we both held contact for a short yet long time until he said a few words and the group turned to leave.

Hinata stood where she was, looking at the ground.

Envy.

Apologetic.

Sad.

Loneliness.

Self-hatred.

⟨ Ugh... Hinata, please tell me what's wrong? Was it those people earlier? Are they not treating you well at the academy? ⟩

I was expecting an answer from her, but she only stared at me, hesitant to reply, and ultimately turned around to leave.

⟨ Hinata...? Why do I feel like I won't see you again... ⟩


[Name: Alter Calliope]

[Titles: Reincarnator (A)]

[Race: Aether Tree (EX)]

[Stage: Big Tree]

[Height: 16.2m]

[Diameter: 88cm]

[Skills: Wriggle (A) Heart of Gold (D) Beetle carrier (D) Beetle Barrage (D) Fertile soil (D) Ant carrier (E) Lesser Charm (E) Lesser Rejuvenation (F) Lesser Regeneration (F) Bend (F)]

[Racial skills: Aetherium Heart (S) Aether Field (A) Aether Circuit (A) Clear mind (A) Growth (C) Photosynthesis (C) Hibernate (E)]

36