Chapter 38
728 5 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I just realized that it will took approximately a year to reach chapter 90 if I maintain this current pace. That's too long. So, I've decided to speed things up a little and upload at least 2 chapters per week. Enjoy!

“Are you ready?” asked Leonard, brandishing his sword and pointing it at Kane. Intricate golden plant carvings embellished a half portion of the blade. The silver cylindrical crossguard reflected a distorted yet clear figure of the half oni, similar to a mirror. If one peered closely, a blue aura emanated from the blade due to the protection runes engraved to preserve its edges.

“I have several questions.”

Leonard knitted his eyebrows together for a moment. “Ask away.”

“Isn’t this too early for a newcomer like me?” asked Kane. While he had nothing against using real weapons because wood and steel had very different properties, he had never heard of seniors immediately challenging fresh recruits.

“Not at all! Everyone here has dueled against me before joining this club; it's a tradition. Though other seniors would’ve done this instead of myself.” Leonard then smiled upon seeing Kane's concerned expression. “I know what you’re thinking. Don’t sweat it, whether you lose quickly or not. Just take it as an experience.”

“Next, can’t I use other weapons instead? I’m not exactly well-versed in swords,” protested Kane as he caressed his weapon. The one-handed sword was plain and ridden with scratches but no dents. Very shoddy when compared to Leonard'’s sword, appearance-wise. Though in Kane’s eyes as a blacksmith, there was barely any difference between them regarding the quality since they both were unranked and had many flaws in the steelwork.

Leonard shook his head. “I apologize. Rules are rules. The dueling law prohibits any weapon besides swords, rapiers, and sabers.”

“What are the rules?” asked Kane.

Leonard looked to his right. “Jeanne.”

A female student who had volunteered as a referee then spoke, “Allow me to briefly explain the rules. The usage of magic is forbidden. The duel ends when one of the combatants surrenders or receives three attacks onto their body. In an extreme case resulting in a combatant’s death, the survivor will be declared as a winner.”

“Still the same as ever, huh?” said Kane to himself. He had somewhat expected this and merely asked the question randomly.

“Was that clear? Also, don’t worry too much about the last part. I'll try to avoid the vitals as much as I can.”

“Well, that’s reassuring. I’ve got no more questions.”

Leonard fixed his stance. “Let’s give it our best, Kane.”

“Please go easy on me, senior.” Kane bowed slightly. Normally, he wouldn’t say this to his opponents in a serious fight.

“I never go easy on anyone.” Leonard lunged ahead at incredible speed.

*Clang!*

Kane flinched. He deflected the thrust, redirecting it to his side. Slightly faster than he’d expected. Leonard followed up with a slash from below, aiming at the face, only to be stopped by the opposing blade. He stared down at Kane’s eyes as their blades met. He then stepped back and unleashed barrages of sword flurry. However, Kane parried all of them, despite his unstable posture.

“My sword skill has become very rusty. I guess that’s expected when considering the last time I used this weapon…” Kane said to himself amid combat.

To him, using a sword was like using an ax upside down — very flexible and easy to control, but much less satisfying. The short grip limited his hand movement, though this wasn’t an issue in knives and daggers due to their size. As a result, he couldn’t wield it properly. If every kind of weapon other than axes was presented to him, swords would be his last pick.

---

Meanwhile, the spectators were cheering while sitting on the ground. Their eyes were glued on the intense duel.

“Damn, that half-oni is much better than I expected! I can't even last five seconds against Captain,” said one of them.

“Where did he learn that swordsmanship? He isn’t even a noble!”

On the other hand, Calypso narrowed his eyes. He clenched his fists, “Kane… just how strong are you?”

---

After more than a dozen times swinging his sword, Leonard ceased his assaults. He kept his distance from Kane and said, “You… why didn’t you attack back?”

Kane scratched his temple. “I’m still trying to get used to this sword, so…”

“Don’t lie! You blocking my attacks have proven otherwise,” said Leonard.

Kane didn’t know what to say to that statement. He was telling the truth all along. Leonard's movement was too slow, albeit Kane’s reaction barely keeping up with his current body. The opponent’s physical strength and finesse were superior after all.

“If you want this duel to be a draw, that’s fine. Though I’ll tell everyone that regardless.”

"So, I have no other choice but to win? Guess I'll try to win."

“I shall exert 100% of my power. Here I come!”

Leonard changed his stance. He faced Kane sideway, rested his sword near his face, and lowered his knees. Clutching the sword with both hands, he dashed forward. Kane extended his sword slightly, preparing to receive the blow. Suddenly, his opponent vanished, leaving nothing but an afterimage. There was no trace of where he went.

“Hm, interesting move. But it’s futile!” Kane could guess where Leonard was because he was able to read the auras of living beings. Without batting an eye, he threw a wide slash to his right — only to cut empty air.

“Aura decoy!? Oh, crap—”

As Kane’s eyes darted to his left, Leonard's sword was already half a foot away from him. There was no time to react; his sword was too far away.

*Slash!*

A piece of fabric was torn apart. It was scraped from Kane's gambeson. He tried to return the blow, but Leonard’s already out of his range and had entered a defensive stance.

“One point for Leonard!”

Staring at his opponent, Kane narrowed his eyes. He had to admit that he was caught off guard. He didn't expect a mage student to use a move for a swordsman. It seemed Leonard had dedicated himself to becoming a magic swordsman.

“How’s that, Kane? Enough for you to become more serious?” provoked Leonard.

“Not bad.” Kane stroked the slash mark on his arm. “Then, prepare yourself.”

Resting the sword on the shoulder, Kane was slowly approaching. Leonard’s gaze became fiercer than before. Step by step, the distance between them was getting shorter.

“You’re open!” Leonard swung his sword first from overhead.

With a chuckle, Kane deflected the blow from behind his neck right before it hit his shoulder, causing that sword to strike the ground. Using the rebound momentum, Leonard quickly lifted the sword and adjusted his stance.

At the same time, Kane began his counterattack. He slashed. He chopped. He thrust. He threw all manner of offensive attacks he got. However, all of his assaults were blocked as if Leonard read his mind.

[i]Are you really a mage apprentice?[/i] Kane was somewhat perplexed. He guessed that Leonard had been taught swordsmanship at least since his childhood and not learned any magic. Unless he was reincarnated similar to Kane, there was no way a person with mage talent could pull this off.

---

As they were clashing swords, Leonard had finished analyzing his opponent. In conclusion, Kane’s swordsmanship was awkward and a beginner at best. His swings were too wide, making it easy to read them. And for some reason, he often twirled the sword as if a weight was attached to the tip of his sword. Despite all of that, his footwork, his reflexes, and everything besides his swordsmanship was flawless, no, even better than Leonard’s teacher. If someone said that Kane was a reincarnation of a renowned warrior, Leonard would believe it in a heartbeat. Moreover, he also believed that Kane was still h—

“Ha!” Kane thrust his sword, snapping Leonard back into reality.

“Ugh!” Leonard stepped aside immediately, barely dodging it. He tried to attack back, but there was no opportunity for that.

“I’m starting to get the hang of this, but it’s still unpleasant to use…” lamented Kane inwardly. His hatred against the previous sword saint hadn’t diminished yet.

“I can't believe it! Captain is getting pressured!” one of the spectators commented.

“That half-oni is so damn good! Who is he exactly!?”

“What is this commotion about?” A mature woman’s voice asked from behind.

“Can’t you see? It’s a duel between Captain and an outsider…” When the student turned around, his eyes bulged. “Y-y-you’re…” He stuttered.

“Out of my way,” she ordered.

All of the students who saw and heard her immediately paved a way for her.

Several minutes had passed since the duel began. It was a short amount of time yet for those two, it felt much longer than that. They also understood that if this continued any longer, it would become a battle of attrition instead. Such an outcome was undesired for both parties, therefore…

Their next attack must determine the winner!

They maintained distance. Both were drenched in sweat, wetting their gambeson’s collar. Not a word was uttered for a while until Leonard broke it first.

“Hey, you know what I’m thinking, don’t you?” asked Leonard out of the blue.

“Whatever that is, it must be the same as mine,” replied Kane.

Leonard laughed as his aura became stronger and stronger than before. Green-colored vis had covered his entire body. He transferred his aura into his arms and feet.

“Using all of your vis for your final attack? Very well.” Kane quickly flipped his sword upside-down, grabbing the blade instead of the handle.

“What on dunai is he doing!? Won’t his hands get cut by that blade?” The spectators couldn’t grasp why Kane suddenly did that.

“It is known as ‘murder stroke’. A legitimate technique to pummel an enemy when one’s sword cannot cut into the enemy’s armor. And no, his hands are safe,” said Calypso.

“But, they both are wearing light armor! Is that technique even necessary?”

Calypso replied to that question with silence. He realized that he had no obligation to explain everything. Although, he knew the answer already. Kane’s primary weapon is an ax, and thus by using that technique, the sword would become similar to that of a weapon.

“No, such a crude technique is definitely not necessary. A true swordsman should solely use their blade.” A woman’s voice answered.

Every student beside her was bewildered by her appearance, except Calypso. He faced the opposite direction of her and kept watching the fight.

Back to the duel, Kane and Leonard were standing menacingly. They had been staring at each other, thinking the best strategy to defeat the opposing side. On the other side, the spectators were silent unlike a while ago.

To their surprise, Kane went ahead first. He closed the gap between them until their blade collided. Then, they tried to overpower their opponent using raw strength. When Leonard used his vis to enhance his power, Kane released his blade from connecting and stepped aside, letting Leonard slice empty air. At the same time, Kane grabbed Leonard’s wrist, pushed his neck with the handle, and swiped his legs.

Losing his foothold, Leonard fell and crashed onto the floor. When he was about to raise his torso, Kane's knee already pushed him down. He rested the sword tip near Leonard's neck and uttered, “Do you admit defeat?”

With a sigh, Leonard replied, “I surrender.”

Another brief silence descended before loud reactions erupted from the crowds.

“Whoa!”
“What did just happen!?”

The crowds were restless and filled with questions. The beatdown was too fast for their eyes, and only a handful of people could process it, including Calypso and the mysterious woman.

35