Chapter 41
779 13 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What!? Only three?”
“I demand a retry!”

The failed applicants let out annoying complaints. It took some time for them to leave.

“Congratulations. All of you are now official Alchemy Club members.” The teacher applauded, then the other club members followed her gesture. She continued, “Especially you, Sharon. A president such as yourself will bring benefits to this club!”

“You’re praising too much, teacher.” Sharon humbled.

Kane stood still, smiling a little. Truth be told, he had no interest in joining the club since his intention was to approach Sharon, which was already fulfilled. Nevertheless, there was no harm in honing a less proficient trade; it could be handy in the future. Smithing was still the highest priority, though, so he would have to skip some club activities.

However, a question lingered in his mind: Why did Sharon choose the Alchemy Club? Kane had considered a considerable amount of possibility, but there was no way of knowing for certain without asking her directly.

After some brief introductions of members and rules, the club activity was over. The sky was painted in orange color and sparse clouds loomed over the landscape. Kane heaved a sigh while cleaning the mess from the test before. It’s a tradition, they said, but to him, it was an excuse to relieve themselves from the duty — or revenge from when they were freshmen. Whatever the case, he should complete the given task first; complain later — unlike his classmate.

“Arghh! Why did they make so much mess!?” Lucrais slammed the small broom onto the ground.

“You can’t expect every student to be neat.” Kane swept the ingredient leftovers on one of the tables, collecting them into the dust bin.

“I know!” She picked up the broom and wiped the table. “But, they have parents, right? Why didn’t they teach them basic manners like cleaning their own mess?”

“First-year Lucrais.” A low yet chilling voice called from Sharon. She was erasing the blackboard. “Please focus on your duty and stop complaining.”

“S-s-sorry, Senior Sharon.” Lucrais lowered her head.

As expected from the president of the student council. He did want to tell Lucrais to shut up, but most likely it wouldn’t have much effect on her since he lacked authority status.

“Why are you helping us, Senior? A fifth-year like you shouldn’t concern yourself with this task,” said Kane, curious.

“Good question,” she said. “We’re all new members, after all. It would be unfair for me to leave you both.”

“Um, senior?” uttered Lucrais, raising her hand. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Go ahead, Lucrais. Don’t be afraid to ask, as long as it’s not too personal.”

“Why did you join the Alchemy Club? I mean, there are much more popular clubs out there, so…”

[i]Good question, Lucrais![/i] Kane never foresaw that she would ask that. Thanks to her, he’d know the reason without compromising himself.

“I’ve been interested in alchemy long before I became a student. Unfortunately, my father ordered me to make connections with the nobles. Now that I’ve established my position in this school, I’m free to pursue my interests,” she explained.

Kane observed her eyes, face, gestures, and even her voice tone. Nothing suspicious. Based on his judgment, she was telling the truth.

Sharon then asked back, “What about you two?”

“I want to follow my mother’s path!” said Lucrais with a pair of fiery eyes.

“To get closer to you, Senior,” admitted Kane.

Upon hearing his answer, they turned their head toward him, wide-eyed.

“My, what an honest answer,” Sharon chuckled, then bit her lower lip. “Did you just confess?”

“Shameless!” yelled Lucrais. Her face reddened a little.

“Lucrais, please don’t insult your classmate like that.” Sharon then looked at Kane. “Passing the harsh test simply because you’re interested in me is admirable.”

“Thank you for your praise.” He bowed his head.

“However, I prefer a slow relationship, so we must get to know each other first.” She winked. “Do you get it?”

“Yes!” answered Kane.

Half an hour later, the room was restored to the previous state. Kane locked the door as the last person leaving. He gave the brass key to a janitor waiting outside along with Sharon and Lucrais. The janitor then left first, followed by others in the opposite direction.

---

The next day, Kane walked along the path in the garden under the clear sky. Numerous butterflies flapped their wings above the colorful flowers blooming in the midst of summer. It somewhat reminded him of his last battle against Aureus, albeit less green. Many students were sightseeing with their friends — mostly female. Some were sitting together on benches with their partner. Some were indulging themselves in their activity alone.

Kane ventured further to the edge. A long, vines-covered steel fence served as the boundary of the garden. On the other side, the area was pretty much the same except for some white round gazebos that were built. He spotted some students sitting together, enjoying their wines, fruits, and cheeses, accompanied by first-years — judging from their height.

In front of the entrance arch, a burly male student stood, leaning against the fence. His face and body were plastered with cotton and bandages. He was Will, the student who tried to intimidate Kane but was stopped by Sharon. Despite having a sword on his hip and a built body, Kane didn’t see him among the Weapon Arts club.

“Yo, shorty. You’ve been making a name for yourself, huh? Thought you’re gonna end up as some nobles’ bootlicker,” said Will. He probably was referring to his duel against Leonard and Sharon’s invitation.

“What happened to you? Why are you here?” asked Kane back, squinting his eyes.

“My condition is none of your business. I’m here on behalf of the Pres as your guide.” Will took out a brass pocket watch from his pocket and flipped it open. “You’re a bit late. Where have you been?”

“Finding this place; I’ve never been here before.” Kane patted his hair. In reality, he had visited Evelyn’s Apothecary and the main building.

“Eh, whatever.” Will turned around. “Follow me.”

The two moved forward along the path that somewhat resembled a dry pine tree without the little branches. Facing Will’s broad back, Kane took this opportunity to reveal a small vial containing yellow liquid from his sleeve. He chugged it in one gulp and then threw it away to the bed of flowers nearby.

Will then stopped and turned around. “What was that?”

“Is there something wrong?” Kane cocked his head, pretending to be ignorant.

There was a brief pause before Will resumed his walk. “Huh. Must’ve been my imagination.”

They kept going straight until the path’s end. Another gazebo, but unlike the others, this one was as big as his classroom. Six tall marble pillars supported the hexagonal canopy. Artistic carvings were engraved on them, similar to the ones in the elevator in the royal library. In the center, there was a large round covered in white fabric, coupled with a complete set of silver tableware. Seven ornamented chairs encircled the table; one of them was occupied by Sharon on the far end.

Two unremarkable male students were guarding the staircase. Based on their complexion and height, they were the same age as Will.

“Before you proceed, I’m afraid we must inspect your body for dangerous items,” said one of them with a monotonous voice

“Do what you must.” Kane had anticipated this because he once attended a tea party back in his previous life. Thus, he brought and hid nothing in his body except the potion that he threw away.

They patted his clothing up and down. From his torso to his arms and legs, even shoes. The search took half a minute.

“You may go ahead.” Their lifeless eyes pointed toward the table.

As he stepped into the gazebo, Sharon spoke, “Welcome, Kane. Please take a seat.”

“I’m sorry for being late.” He plopped on the closest chair.

“That’s fine. I also only arrived here just a while ago.” Sharon clapped twice above her head.

One of the servants brought a steel cloche and a tray underneath it. He placed it in the center, then revealed the dish. It was roasted venison, sprinkled with salts. Another servant followed up with a basket of fruits, a bowl of boiled potatoes, and a bottle of pure red wine. They poured the beverage into each goblet before excusing themselves.

Kane swallowed his saliva. They looked delicious.

Both grabbed each of the food onto their plate and began savoring their meal. Kane had no concern for any poison in them since Sharon ate from the same source too. His wine was also derived from a single bottle.

Finished eating, Kane sipped the red wine. It tasted a little acidic and sweet, different compared to the diluted wine that he’d been drinking every lunch.

---

They proceeded to talk about mundane things about school, complaining about friends and teachers, hobbies, etc. In the midst of conversation, Sharon drank the wine and rested her chin under her interlaced fingers.

“In case you didn’t know, I’m the one who stole the Black Feather,” she revealed.

“…” He drank it again, staring with cow eyes. “What?”

Sharon creased her brows. “You can drop your pretense, Kane. I already know your intention, and the fact that you’re Reynar’s golden child.” Her tone grew sassier than before.

“Since when?” Kane stiffened.

“Since you entered that man’s room for the first time.” She rose from her seat, ambled toward Kane, and whispered, “I have ears everywhere in this academy, in case you didn’t know.”

Kane stood up. As soon as he did that, the servants chanted spells, aiming at Kane and waiting to be cast. They surrounded him from every side.

“Sit down. It’s the best course of action for you,” warned Sharon.

He remained motionless for a moment before returning to his seat. “So, everything you did… was just a sham? Even our first encounter?”

“You think I was being sincere? Fufufu, how naive.” Sharon stood upright. “Although, I must admit. I didn’t expect you to pass the test, despite my effort to deter you along with everyone else. My plan was almost ruined.”

“No wonder the test was strange from the start. You rigged it!” realized Kane. “Then, why did you steal that feather?”

“Why? Because—” Sharon rested on the edge of the table, staring down at him. “—secret! You’re not in the position to find anything about me, Kane. In fact, I can end your life, right here, right now.”

“Please… let me go. I’ve nothing against you, Senior,” he pleaded.

“Oh, you pitiful boy. Rest assured, I won’t harm you and let you free.”

Kane’s face brightened. “Really?”

“But, you must earn it.” Sharon arched a sly brow as she took out a golden pocket watch. “The effect should appear by now.”

“What do you mean—” His eyes lost focus, then shut closed, crashing onto the floor. The goblet bounced off and spilled the wine.

“Sweet dreams, Kane.”

29