Chapter 3- The village
423 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Well, where do we go first?" Jonathan looked at the forest. His house on the northern part of the village. "Nah, let's go to the village center first."

He walked south and noticed two men. One is one-handed, a sword by his waist, and is wearing a leather armor. The other has a scar on his face, holding a bow, a quiver at his back, also wearing a leather armor.

"Hi there. Going hunting?" Jonathan waived as he met them.

"Yeah. Gotta prepare for my daughter's birthday tomorrow, you should come," the man with a scar replied.

"Oh, I am on patrol tomorrow sorry. Tell her I said happy birthday though."

"I see, that's too bad. I'll tell her that, thanks."

Jonathan continued walking, looking around. "The village really has plummeted in numbers huh."

He noticed that there are houses abandoned and neglected as he walked by. He also noticed graves among them.

"Ella, good morning," an old man greeted him from a lawn. He was sitting in a wooden wheelchair.

"Morning... uh, taking in the sunlight?" Jonathan asked.

"Yes. Lest my son scold me. Hahahaha!" The old man answered laughing. Jonathan waived.

Jonathan reached the village center. He saw children playing and around the fountain at the center. A young priest looking over them.

He saw old men and women sitting in front of a small chapel, praying.

Jonathan overheard two people talking. A middle aged man and a priestess.

"I see the kids are starting to recover." "Thankfully, yes. I hope this is just the start" "It's been two years..."

Jonathan walked away from the two and entered a tower-like structure, the guard's post.

"Anybody home?" Jonathan said as he entered the building.

"Hhnmmmhhmmnnn," a young woman in armor yawned and stretched as she sat up behind a desk.

"Greta, have you been drinking?" Jonathan asked as he caught a whiff of alcohol.

"Just a little," Greta rubbed her eyes.

"...Do you have more?"

"Nope, the captain confiscated them, I only got to drink one bottle. He's out, by the way."

"Where'd he go?"

"Apparently there are strays on the field. Probably wolves."

"What are those?" Jonathan noticed stacked boxes in the corner of the room.

"They were from the the capital. They arrived last night."

Jonathan approached the boxes and opened the top one.

A rotten smell assault his nose

"Ugh! What the hell?" They were rotten foods. Jonathan closed the box.

"Those cunts actually delivered expired goods. Now I have additional work to do."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously. We immediately filed a complaint, we're still waiting for a response."

At that moment someone entered the building. 

"Yo," it was a young man. Though he looked old, and stern. He was holding a bouquet.

"John. Looking miserable as always," Jonathan replied.

"Looking as dispassionate as always," John retorted.

"Good morning to you too," Greta greeted him.

"Hello," John greeted back.

The bouquet...

"I'm visiting the pillar," John noticed Jonathan staring at the bouquet.

A pillar was constructed as a monument of the orc raid that happened 3 years ago. It was constructed in honor of those who died in the raid.

It is located south of the village.

"I see."

...

The sounds of battle was heard in the distance.

"Listen to me, Ella," a woman pleaded.

"But I can fight!" A 14-year old Ella shouted.

"Ella..."

"Hik! Mama..." Ella started to cry.

"I know, sweetheart. I am asking you to protect them while we're gone," the woman smiled and caressed Ella's head.

"Ella, will you protect the others for me?"

Ella nodded, before hugging her mother, "You'll come back, right?"

"Of course." "Promise?"

A roar is heard in the distance, several shouts followed right after.

"Isn't tomorrow your birthday?" Her mother pulled Ella out of the hug and looked at her.

"Mhhhhm."

"When we return, we will have wolf's meat for your birthday, and I will cook you and Papa a delicious stew," her mother wore a proud smile.

"Really?"

"Of course. I promise," she held out her pinky finger. Ella interlocked it with hers.

"Okay."

...

"... Haaaahhhhh," Jonathan sighed.

Do I really need to be reminded of that?

"?"

"It's nothing. I just... remembered something. How about I accompany you?"

"Suit yourself." John walked out. Jonathan followed suit.

"We're going."

"See 'ya," Greta waived at them.

The two started to walk in silence.

"Man, whenever the two of you are together, it's disturbingly silent," A voice met them outside.

"Captain." "Gramps."

"The pillar, I presume?"

"Yeah, what's up?" Jonathan answered with a question.

"Willy's daughter's birthday is tomorrow, right? Are you guys going?" The captain asked.

"Me? Going? What you think'd happen if I go?" John snapped, his face gloomy and dull.

"Uh," the captain looked at Jonathan. "Ella, what about you? You're free tomorrow."

"... I'm going hunting," Jonathan replied.

"Oh, I guess I'm gonna be alone then..."

"You should've answered Hilda back then," the man said.

"Ahahahaha," the captain smiled wryly.

... .... ....

Jonathan and John saw a group of people standing in front of the pillar.

The people nodded at them they approached, they replied in kind.

Several names were engraved on the pillar. John put the bouquet the base of the pillar.

Surrounding them were ruins and rubbles, the aftermath of the raid. The villagers left the ruins be as a reminder.

They then stood in silence.

Was it because Ella's memories are fresh in my mind? I didn't think I'd experience this all over again.

9