65 – The Faithful Companion – Oversight
381 9 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A grandiose building overlooking all of the sect. There, behind a desk, Xinxin glared at a pile of rolled-up parchments.

A young man with spiky black hair walked around and placed a cup of tea on the desk. His white robe shifted as he moved while the golden characters saying ‘Heavenly King’ on his back gleamed with the sunlight.

Xinxin glanced towards him and scowled.

Erik sighed and said, “I’m sorry for having to drag you into this, Heaven Seizer. But even though I’ve become the Heavenly King-”

“It’s fine.” Xinxin took a sip from her tea.

It was bitter, but refreshing. Not something that would be had on casual occasions, but for work and focus, it was perfect.

It also reminded Xinxin a bit of the tea that her father used to drink… Was this what he had to go through back then? No wonder he had always been busy…

Erik shook his head and then walked over to his own desk before grabbing a rolled parchment from his own pile.

Seeing that, Xinxin forced herself to throw away her complaints and turn back to her own documents.

It was a pity.

While Xinxin could use her spiritual sense to immediately comb through all of the parchments even while they were unopened… she still had to manually sign and stamp each document, so it didn’t save any time.

…Or did she?

Xinxin glanced at Erik to ask.

Yet, as if he had read her mind, Erik spoke up. Without raising his gaze from the documents he had unfurled, the current Heavenly King said, “There’s no use trying to speed up the process with your power, Heaven Seizer. Grandfather- The previous Heavenly King tried that once, but he stopped doing it after complaining about memorizing worthless information about building measurements and materials.”

Xinxin closed her mouth.

…Yeah. That seemed like something that guy would have done. He had always been the sort to cut corners on those types of things.

Xinxin contemplated the parchments in front of her, wondering whether it was worth giving a try anyway… And then she remembered that her Sifu was expecting her to act like a proper master of the sect.

Knowing him, Sifu would definitely scold her for shirking her duties.

Realizing that, Xinxin sighed and picked up a parchment from the top of the pile and spread it out on her desk, pushing the others to the side for the moment.

The parchment unraveled with a crisp sound.

Xinxin mentally prepared herself for the trial of scanning through dense text… but was pleasantly surprised.

Rather than trivial and arbitrary reports about the on goings of the Heaven-Seizing Dragon Sect and the Sun Kingdom at large, there was a condensed report about the on goings outside of the territory.

Xinxin blinked and then swept her gaze across the document, taking in the key portions.

From the report, it seemed that there was movement from the Demon Realm. A few returning disciples had reported an increase in monsters near the boundary, as well as some sightings of Demon soldiers. Moreover, a few disciples that hailed from the Demon Realm had reported that there were mutterings of something big happening in the near future from family and friends in the Demon Realm.

Xinxin frowned. She thought that the situation would have been resolved by Nero and his teachers, but it seemed that either the message hadn’t been received yet or it was too late.

That would prove… troublesome.

Xinxin set the report aside and then grabbed the next one, scanning its contents.

This one was another report from returning disciples, elaborating on the situation in the Northern Empire. Apparently the capital was in an uproar from the deaths of the Braves. With Demons having infiltrated not too long ago, the citizens were in fear for their lives.

Xinxin scoffed at that.

Having to rely on warriors not only from another world, but empowered by that Goddess that enjoyed conflict more than peace… This was an inevitable outcome.

Xinxin shook her head and placed the document aside. At that time, she realized that an odd sound was filling the room and she glanced over.

Erik was flying through the parchments. As if his path had been devoted to bureaucracy, the current Heavenly King plowed through his mountain of paperwork with ease. One hand grabbed a parchment, slamming it open on the table. The other prepared an ink seal to stamp the paper. Then, with but a single glance, the seal flashed down like a black dragon, marking either accepted or rejected before the parchment was sent to the side.

Xinxin blinked, still processing the scene in front of her eyes.

“Hm?” Erik looked up and then let out a sheepish smile. “Ah. I had to do a lot of paperwork in the past to prepare for inheriting the role of Heavenly King and developed a sort of habit in processing them. Was I disturbing you, Heaven Seizer?”

“…It’s fine.”

While there was a lot to be said about Wang Tian passing off his administrative duties to Erik, it seemed that the one doing it didn’t seem to mind.

Since that was the case, Xinxin decided not to bother either and went back to her own documents.

Time slowly ticked away while the piles of administrative documents slowly dwindled in size.

Even so, Xinxin didn’t mind. Instead, she found herself surprised by how pertinent it was.

There was news about surviving members of the Alvheim elves… or rather, the lack thereof. It seemed that the Northern Empire had been thorough about exploiting the former guardians of Yggdrasil for their own means as even the black markets were lacking them.

It seemed that Xinxin had been truly fortunate to run across Titania as she had in that tournament.

And it seemed that both Titania and Aria were truly misfortunate in that it seemed the two were the only remaining members of their family… if not race.

Xinxin frowned and continued reading.

A summary of the current power balance, an itinerary about the resources kept in the sect treasury as well as current and future missions to replenish them. Rumors of powerful artifacts that had been hidden throughout the land as well as sightings of mythical creatures. Legends of heroes and their potential resting areas, among those the supposed descendant of a Brave who ran away with a divine dragon’s daughter…

The documents that Erik prepared all consisted of information that Xinxin would have wanted to gather herself. Realizing that, Xinxin had to reevaluate her image of that guy.

While Erik had seemed unreliable and, frankly stupid, when they met… After all, he got distracted from his job of protecting the grounds by Xinxin’s beauty, it seemed that he had a talent for administrative duties.

“No wonder that guy didn’t bother handling it himself. Wait, was this his plan to begin with?” Xinxin muttered, wondering about that.

Wang Tian had to have known that Xinxin wouldn’t know how to manage a clan, let alone an entire sect. While she was the daughter of the Zhan Clan’s leader, because of her beauty and lack of talent, she was essentially an ornament, leaving her with a complete lack of knowledge in administration.

Of course that wasn’t to say she couldn’t handle it. Although Xinxin wasn’t trained to succeed her father, she was sharp enough to pick up on key points and aspects whenever she visited her father while he was working.

Even so, it would have been irritating to deal with that herself regardless of her capability.

Xinxin shook her head, forcibly setting the thought aside.

Whatever the case, that guy was gone and the bridge had already been burned.

As much as she was grateful for his foresight and diligence, her heart would never be his again. She wouldn’t allow it.

At that thought, an image of that guy’s calm smile and accepting gaze flashed in Xinxin’s mind.

She huffed, and then turned her attention back to the documents.

At last, the pile of parchments had diminished, leaving only one left. However, unlike the rest, which were clearly from people in the sect as they had been written on rolled parchment, this one was a folded bundle in a paper container. Not only that, but the most blatant sign of its foreign nature was the flowing script on the front marking its sender and its intended recipient.

Xinxin picked up the bundle and muttered, “So that Emperor finally decided to send a letter, did he?”

Unsealing the bundle revealed a letter spanning several pages, written in sloppy characters.

While Xinxin felt a bit irritated at having to decipher it, she had to admit that it was at least thoughtful of the Emperor to make the attempt so she set her emotions aside and carefully read his message.

Dear Heaven Seizer. As you requested, I have sent this letter to your sect regarding the resignations and protests I have about your actions in my Empire.

Xinxin snorted. After all that happened, that guy still had the gall to talk like that… Well, she supposed that much was necessary if he wanted to go against the Goddess.

Frankly, it was a mess. My precious plans and carefully laid out scheme was ruthlessly trampled by your actions. If it were anyone else, I would not hesitate to march out personally to rectify such a slight… Of course, to repay the favor of the late Heavenly King as well as the ‘gift’ you left me, I will refrain.

Xinxin shook her head and continued reading.

The letter went on a while longer about worthless trivial matters, talks about reconciliation between their citizens, his cleansing of people that might cause trouble, etc.

Xinxin skipped past that and focused on the important parts near the end, specifically the last sheet of paper.


Finally, with those previous affairs set aside, I have one last matter to discuss. While I dare not mention it in writing lest ‘that person’ becomes aware, at the summit I request a portion of your time for a private discussion. That is all.

P.S. I would be wary of your surroundings in the near future. While I do not mind the loss of those otherworlders, ‘that person’ will undoubtedly show up to determine exactly what occurred.


Xinxin scoffed and crumpled up the sheet before destroying it with a surge of darkness.

Erik looked over, a frown on his face. “Is something wrong, Heaven Seizer?”

Xinxin threw the rest of the letter back in its container and said, “Just the upstart Emperor saying something unnecessary.” She paused and then turned to stare at Erik. “And what did I tell you about calling me Heaven Seizer? It’s either Elder Sister or Faith.”

Erik gave a wry smile in response and said, “I will do my best, Heaven- I mean, Elder Sister. It’s just… taking a bit to get used to.”

“…Well, as long as you’re trying.”

Erik glanced at the Emperor Elio’s letter and said, “What did that person have to say to you?”

Xinxin bit back her smirk at the way Erik addressed the Emperor and then said, “Nothing much. It was essentially a formal summary of what he discussed with you… Although he did mention wanting to talk with me personally at the summit.”

Erik narrowed his eyes. “Wishing to talk with you? Personally at that? Hmph, does he think himself an equal to you?”

“It’s fine. I do have some things I want to ask him about as well.” Namely his strange powers and why he seemed so determined to rebel against the Goddess.

Erik paused and then said, “If that is what you want, H- Elder Sister.”

Xinxin reached for her forgotten teacup and then said, “It is.”

Erik nodded and started to go back to his pile of documents. But before he did, he paused and said, “Elder Sister…”

Xinxin took a sip from her tea. Since it was cold now, she frowned and warmed it up with a small flame. As she was doing so, she glanced back at Erik and said, “Yes?”

Erik hesitated. “This may be a bit uncalled for, but I wished to discuss the guest at your personal residence.”

“Ah, that person?” Xinxin put out her flame and took a sip of the tea. Seeing that it was at a palatable temperature, she turned back to Erik and said, “He’s my Sifu. Although he’s a bit troublesome, he’s a very important person to me.” She paused and said, “Hm… I suppose you could even consider him your older brother in a way?”

After all, if Xinxin was their sister, then her Sifu… Well, going strictly by hierarchies he wouldn’t be the same level, but she doubted he would appreciate being called ‘Uncle’ by a person who didn’t look much younger than him…

“I see.” Erik nodded. “Then I will be sure to treat him with the proper respect the next time I see him.”

Xinxin took another sip from her tea and said, “If you do that much, you should be fine.”

Her Sifu might be a bit reckless and ruthless, but he wasn’t the type of person to cut down or bother someone who respected him.

At least, Xinxin hoped so.

“But actually, Elder Sister, that person wasn’t what I wanted to talk about. At least, not entirely.”

“Hm?” Xinxin placed down her tea cup. “What is it then?”

“How should I say this…” Erik mumbled and then took a sip from his own tea cup. But it seemed that wasn’t enough as he downed it in a single gulp.

Xinxin blinked and then said, “Is it that serious?”

“…Elder Sister.” Erik looked up with an uncharacteristically solemn expression on his face.

“Yes?”

“As you know, Mary is the one who primarily tends to your private residence.”

Xinxin paused, remembering the elegant young woman with long blue hair. “…I wasn’t aware of that, but I remember her, yes.”

Erik paused and then gave Xinxin a strange look. “On the day after you returned from the Northern Empire, do you remember how you asked for some clothing and a jade slip for your guest?”

Xinxin tilted her head, confused about the line of questioning. “I do… But did something come up?”

It was possible.

Xinxin had admittedly gone a bit overboard due to her happiness at being with Sifu again… And to be honest, that day was a bit of a blur to her for various reasons.

“No. It’s just…” Erik trailed off and then took a deep breath. Then, staring with the resolve of a man marching out to his death, he said, “While you were out, Mary prepared the items you requested and placed them at your residence. But while she was there, she decided to change your sheets. And as she did, she noticed something.”

Xinxin froze, realizing the mistake she made.

“It was faint, considering that the fabric was dark, but even so there was no mistaking the type of stain.” Erik stared straight at Xinxin and said, “Elder Sister. Could it be that… Up until that point, you were a virg- “

Xinxin jumped to her feet and said, “That’s forbidden!”

Erik blinked. “W-What?”

Xinxin flushed and said, “Th-That line of inquiry is forbidden! Understood?”

“A-Ah, Elder Sister- I just-“

“Shush! No more questions!” Xinxin realized that she was acting out of character, but she didn’t care.

How could she make such a blunder? She had been so focused on making sure Sifu didn’t realize it that…

Argh!

“A-Anyway, that topic is forbidden! Taboo! And I had better not hear about anyone asking my Sifu about it either, understood!?”

Erik blinked before a smile spread across his face. “U-Understood, Elder Sister.”

“What are you laughing at?!”

“N-Nothing.” Erik bit his tongue and then bowed his head, quickly returning to his work.

“You…!” Xinxin felt the heat rush to her cheeks, but realized that she couldn’t really do anything else. After all, it would just be throwing a childish tantrum… and didn’t she want Sifu to stop treating her like a child?

Xinxin huffed and then shoved her chair into her desk before saying, “I’m going to inspect the treasury.”

Erik gave a stiff nod in response. It seemed that the guy was still struggling to contain his laughter.

“Hmph.” Xinxin spun around and then walked off, bending space to reach her destination. “Laugh at me, will he? Let’s see how that guy laughs when I take all the valuable stuff for Sifu.”

Determined to make life miserable for Erik by wrecking the sect’s logistics, Xinxin flung open the doors to the treasury and spread her spiritual sense, looking for the valuable herbs and treasures.

Of course, what she didn’t realize was that if Erik knew what she was doing, he would be laughing even more.

After all… Who knew the high and mighty Heaven Seizer could act like such a pure maiden in love?

Erik is definitely a master in the way of paperwork. As for Xinxin... well, that's just how it goes sometimes. Even a supposed immortal makes mistakes. Anyway, thanks for reading! I hope you're enjoying the story and I'll see you... Sunday? I think. If not that, then Monday for sure. Til then, take care!

16