87 – Demon Lord’s Resolve
197 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The northern edge of the Ancient Forest. Standing a top the highest tree there, a man wreathed in darkness stared off into the distance. Seeing the army stationed in the fields within a day's march of the forest, the man muttered, "It's almost time, huh?"

A woman with golden hair and emerald eyes landed on a branch beside the man. A pure white bow was strapped on her back, along with a quiver of silver arrows. Wearing a dark green tunic and leather pants, along with matching boots, she blended in with the surroundings almost perfectly, if not for her hair.

The man turned to look at her and said, "I'm guessing everyone's in position, Aria?"

Aria brushed her hair behind her pointed ears and said, "Yep. We're just waiting on your orders, Nazin. Though..." She frowned and looked at her clothes. "Do I *have* to wear this outfit?"

Nazin smiled and said, "I know you like wearing black, but something like that's going to stand out in the forest, you know?"

She gave Nazin a blank look and pointed at the black smoke around him. "And your appearance won't?"

"That's what Information Concealment is for."

"And what, you can't use your magical Grant Skill to give that to our clothes?"

Nazin sighed. "If only I could. It would make all of this a lot simpler at least."

Unfortunately for them all, Information Concealment was apparently a unique skill that only he could use. Sure, [Grant Skill] would allow him to attach it to other people and equipment, but the effect wouldn't apply. All that it did was just show up in the status screen.

Nazin shook his head and then glanced at Aria. "What? Do you not like those colors?"

"It's not that. Just... I don't want people to think that I'm not fighting with you."

"That makes it seem like you want my mark on you or something."

Aria tilted her head and stared at Nazin. "But I do?"

"..." Nazin coughed and said, "How are the others? I know that Fi said she wanted to check on something in the Lost Woods and would show up later, but is Tani doing well?"

Aria rolled her eyes. "I'm fine, thank you very much. And my dear older sister is as well."

"Ah." Nazin furrowed his brow and said, "I didn't mean-"

Aria sighed. "I know. She's much frailer than I am and you don't have to worry about me as much." She shook her head and said, "I guess I'm just a bit jealous."

"...Sorry."

"It's fine." Aria let out a bright smile and said, "The important Demon Lord Nazin has been busy with a lot of things. But don't think I'll let you off easy when this is settled. I'm dragging you away for a week on my own whether you agree or not, Mister!"

Nazin laughed. "Yeah, I owe you that much at least." He shifted his gaze back to the Imperial Troops stationed below.

Aria moved close to Nazin and looked as well. "Is something wrong?"

"No. It's just..." He frowned and said, "They've been quiet. Not only that, but I haven't been able to use Analysis on them recently either."

"Well... Maybe it's because Serena doesn't want you to?"

Nazin shook his head. "No. If that was true, she would say as much. Right now though..."

Every time he used Analysis, it came up blank. It didn't fail, since 'something' came back. But it was more like he couldn't perceive it. Like how the naked human eye couldn't perceive ultraviolet light.

"...It's probably fine."

Nothing could go wrong at this point. The preparations had been set and even if that Emperor had something up his sleeve, Nazin was certain that he could counter it.

Aria laughed and said, "You worry too much." She smiled and said, "You're the strongest person in the world, and if all else fails, you can go back in time, can't you?"

"I would rather not... But I suppose that's true."

Aria made a good point. [Absolute Memory] would let him try again as many times as possible to reach the end. Not only that, but even if he failed against an overwhelming force, he would just get stronger and try again later.

Time... had no meaning for him. At least in terms of preparation. Even so... Why did he have this sinking sensation that something was wrong?

"Come on." Aria reached over to grab Nazin's arm and said, "There's no point standing up here and worrying. Daddy wanted to talk with you, so why don't you do that instead of moping around here?"

"Aultry wants to talk with me?" Nazin frowned and said, "But everything should be settled-"

"Let's just go already!" Aria tugged on Nazin's arm and then jumped off.

As expected, gravity took over and Nazin started to fall along with Aria. Before they dropped even a few feet though, darkness flared around the two before being bolstered by light, suspending them both in mid-air.

Nazin pulled Aria close to his side and said, "Do you always have to do that when I'm high up some place?"

Aria stuck out her tongue and said, "Well, if I want you to move it's always fastest to put myself in danger, isn't it, my dear savior?"

"Hah..." Nazin shook his head and said, "Just where did that sweet and naive young woman disappear to?"

"Well, after that night-"

Nazin coughed and then started moving through the air. "A-Anyway... Aultry's in the main encampment, right?"

Aria noticed the change in topic, but she simply shook her head and let it slide. After, she nodded and twisted in Nazin's grip and pointed towards the center of the Ancient Forest. "That's right. Daddy said that he'd be waiting for you in his camp. It's nothing urgent, but he wanted to make sure to talk with you before the battle started."

"Hm... Alright." Nazin changed directions and headed towards where Aria pointed. As he did though... "Do you really have to hug me so tight?"

"Mm?" Aria leaned looked up into Nazin's eyes and said, "What? Do you not like it?"

"It's not that I don't... but you can fly just as well, can't you?"

Saphira had put Aria through the wringer in the past few weeks. While not to the extent of being able to fight one of those hidden monsters in the Lost Woods, flying with her Dark Wind magic should be a piece of cake.

"I could," Aria said. "But why do that when I can be treated like the princess I am?"

"Hah..." Nazin shook his head and then continued along the way.


"Thank you for returning so soon, Son-in-law." Aultry set a cup of tea down on the table in front of Nazin.

"It's fine." Nazin picked up the cup of tea and said, "Though... it's still weird hearing you call me that."

A makeshift house, woven together by tree branches with Yggdrasil's blessing. That was where Aultry wanted to meet Nazin, and where Nazin headed after Aria's message.

As for that mishievous elven princess herself, she left Nazin after they arrived, claiming that she didn't want to intrude on father-son bonding time.

An obvious lie, considering the countless other times she had barged in when he was meeting with her father, but nothing too important in the grand scheme of things.

Nazin took a sip from his tea and glanced around the room.

It was essentially the same as one from a proper home in Alvheim. Woven branch floors, walls, ceiling. Even the table and chairs they were using were the same as in Yggdrasil, with the only difference being the view outside the window were darkened trees instead of the bright blue sky.

Having taken in the surroundings, Nazin turned his gaze to the one seated across from him.

A seemingly young man with a handsome face and white hair, set in slightly ruffled spikes. His eyes were a clear blue, but the faint wrinkles at their corners showed his age. At the moment, he was dressed in a dark green tunic and black pants, but off to the side there were a pair of swords and chain mail.

Aultry, the current King of Alvheim, as well as the father of Aria and Titania.

Meeting Nazin's gaze, Aultry sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I truly hope that events unfold as we planned."

"It will."

Nazin had armed the elves with armor to negate Chaos magic and weapons to channel Yggdrasil's blessing. Not only that, but he had that Akira guy he captured a while back spying on the troops as well.

With that person's [Reading] ability and the connection Nazin had created with the guy through [Dragon's Grasp], Nazin would immediately know if something important was happening.

So far though, that guy said that the troops were just on standby.

Nothing to worry about... barring the fact that Nazin couldn't use [Analysis] on the Imperial Forces anymore.

Aultry took a sip from his tea and then smiled. "Well now, if my Son-in-law is that confident, I suppose I can't be too worried now, can I?"

Nazin set down his cup of tea and then said, "What did you want to talk about, anyway? Were you just worried?"

They had already gone over the plan in the past few days with that Demon Lord Krozma. Not only that, but everyone was already prepared to act on a moment's notice. That meant this meeting couldn't be about the upcoming battle...

"I am still a bit concerned. But you're right." Aultry set his cup of tea down as well and said, "There is something else I want to discuss with you."

Nazin nodded. "I'm listening."

"You see..."

Nazin took a sip from his tea cup.

"...Tani is pregnant."

"Pft- Kuh... gah..." Nazin quickly set his tea cup down and smacked his chest to clear his throat of the tea that went down the wrong pipe. That done, he blinked and looked at Aultry. "E-Excuse me? Tani is what?"

Aultry laughed and then waved his hand. "Relax. Just a bit of levity to lighten the mood."

Nazin glared at Aultry and said, "That's not a good joke to make."

"True... And I suppose that she isn't, from your reaction." Aultry sighed and said, "Just when will I be able to pass down this role of mine? I've been waiting to retire for centuries now, you know?"

"...Right."

Aultry smiled, but then he straightened his face. "Jokes aside... I do have something serious to say."

Seeing that Aultry stopped messing around, Nazin nodded and became serious as well. "Alright. But if it's another jab about grandchildren..."

"Don't worry. With how aggressive those girls are, that's just a matter of time."

Nazin paused. That... well, he couldn't really deny that.

Aultry leaned back and said, "I wasn't joking about wanting to retire though. After this battle, why don't you take over as king?"

"Huh?" Nazin blinked. "King? Me?"

Aultry nodded. "That's right. After the battle is over, I have no doubts that you would be received with open arms. Your reputation is already at an all-time high for saving us, but after this... Well." He laughed and said, "It's more likely I'll have people clamoring to get rid of me. Better that I peaceably abdicate rather than get tossed out, right?"

Nazin frowned. "Isn't the King of Alvheim a hereditary role though? Not to mention the fact that I'm not an elf."

"It's fine." Aultry waved his hand and said, "The main point about the King's role is to serve as Yggdrasil's guardian and oversee her children anyway. Considering your position as Yggdrasil's champion, this is only a formality. And either way, as the beloved of Alvheim's first princess, you would play a role in governing it regardless. Think of this as just... expediting the process."

Nazin sighed.

Aultry had a point. Nazin's popularity was at an all-time high, and the events were already lining up to head in the direction that Aultry predicted.

Still...

Nazin shook his head and finished his tea. "Let's talk about that after the battle."

It was still too early for talk like that.

Aultry gave Nazin a steady gaze and then nodded. "That's fine. I just wanted to bring it up in the event that something happens."

"It won't."

Aultry laughed and then stood up. He walked over to pat Nazin on the shoulder and said, "I'll believe in you then, Son-in-law. For now..." He stretched and said, "I think I'll go for a walk. There hasn't been much for me to do." He picked up his swords and chainmail and then walked off.

Nazin watched him leave and frowned. "...It'll be fine."

A death flag. That definitely felt like a death flag for Aultry.

"Well... I'll just have to make sure it doesn't get triggered then."

Nazin had already determined himself to go beyond the 'route' that Serena laid down and break that future.

Another event wasn't too much to worry about.

Now, the only thing left to do was-

*Hey. Mister Nobody or whatever you call yourself. Those guys are heading out now. Might want to get ready.*

A spiteful and irritated male voice. One that belonged to Akira, the spy Nazin left among the Braves in the Imperial Army.

"Alright. Try not to die."

*Hah... What a pain. Whatever. I did my job so I'm bailing now. That was the deal, right?*

"As long as you don't betray us."

*Don't worry. Not like I can with that cheating Dragon's Grasp or whatever...*

Akira's voice cut out.

Nazin stood up, leaving his tea behind. "...Looks like it's time to settle this."

He closed his eyes, mentally preparing himself for a few moments.

Aria. Fi. Tani... for everyone here and for the sake of the world.

Light flared, shadowed by an undercurrent of darkness. With that, Nazin vanished, returning once more to the front lines.

9