96 – Ego – Back and Forth
146 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xinxin stepped forward, cutting down arrows and spells aimed at her. Stepping forward again, her sword cut through the air, sending a dozen elven warriors to their knees, lifeless.

More threw themselves in her path, realizing her target. But it was pointless.

A single slash cleared the way, blood scattering like cherry blossoms upon the ground.

“EMPEROR!” From the side, a guttural roar erupted, followed by a tremor in the ground.

Xinxin shifted her attention for a brief moment to make sure that the others weren’t being overwhelmed, but Elio easily blocked the charging Demon Lord with his sword. Not only that, but Nero and Eve were properly supporting him.

With that settled, she turned her focus back on her own opponent.

Nazin took a step back, his hand going towards his sword. But he hesitated, as if reluctant to fight.

That was fine with her. Xinxin narrowed her eyes, stepping forward again to close the gap-

Screeching wind. Arrows, wrapped in darkness.

Xinxin clicked her tongue, glancing at the projectiles. But she didn’t bother trying to block them.

The sound of ringing crystal, like a wine glass being struck by a silver spoon.

The arrows collided with Xinxin but bounced off her skin and clothing without a scratch. Afterwards, they fell to the ground, useless.

“Nazin! Focus!” The blonde elf called out and then pushed Nazin to the side, her bow aimed at Xinxin.

“Aria?!”

“Don’t be enchanted by her appearance and fight, you idiot!”

Again, the arrows were launched at Xinxin. This time from point blank range.

But again, Xinxin didn’t bother to deflect them, instead turning to slash at Nazin.

His eyes widened but then he drew his sword, shining with light, and slashed back at her.

The blades collided, sparks flying.

Xxx

Blood. Death cries. Clashing steel.

The Ancient Forest, razed to the ground with only pieces of it remaining.

Nazin saw it all and grit his teeth, straining as he locked swords with the raven-haired woman standing in front of him. “You…! Why are you here?”

Beautiful. That woman was like an ethereal immortal descended from the skies. But that beauty was a lie. Rather than a pure fairy, she was a demon, caring not one bit for life.

The woman smiled, her crimson lips tracing out a thin curve. “I should ask that of you, Faker. Why have you not yet returned to him?”

Nazin tensed.

That… was that why she was here? Because ‘he’ sent her?

From the side, Aria clenched her bow and aimed an arrow at the woman. The previous volleys hadn’t worked, but it seemed that Aria was going all out this time, supercharging a single arrow at point blank range. “Who are you calling a Faker, you witch!?”

The woman’s eyes flitted towards Aria. “Mm… There is you as well.” After that, they glanced at someone in the distance. “And a betrayer in the midst as well.”

Nazin followed her gaze to see the woman staring at Titania.

The elder elf princess ran over, a pair of emerald long swords drawn in both hands. “I apologize for the delay, Lord Nazin!”

Aria fired her arrow.

The woman ignored it, staring at Titania.

An instinctive reaction. Nazin didn’t perceive it, but he warped to right in front of Titania and swung his sword.

An explosion of dark wind razed the remaining forest.

At the same time, sparks of light and darkness erupted as Nazin parried a slash from the woman.

“Hoh?” The woman raised an eyebrow, easily holding Nazin at bay with one hand while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear with the other. “So you can use some of Sifu’s abilities as well.”

Nazin grit his teeth and stepped forward, straining with all his might. At the same time, he channeled Light’s Order, intending to use it to bolster his strength against that woman’s darkness.

And then his sword swept through empty air.

Nazin staggered, quickly regaining his balance. As he did, he saw the woman standing off to the side, a few meters away. Her sword was lowered and her silky black hair flowed in a formless wind, drifting like dark smoke.

“Nazin!”

“Lord Nazin!”

Aria and Titania ran over to him, concern in their eyes.

He didn’t respond, instead carefully observing the woman in case she attacked again.

But she didn’t. Instead, her violet eyes flicked towards Aria and Titania before she nodded. “This is perfect. While I can’t get rid of that disloyal snake, this works just as well. You see…” Dark flames erupted along her sword and she smiled. “I’ve been under quite a bit of stress recently. This should help alleviate a bit of that.”

Nazin tensed, tightening his grip on his sword.

“Lord Nazin…” Titania carefully held up her sword and said, “What do we do?”

Aria clicked her tongue and tossed her bow to the side. At the same time, she drew a knife sheathed at her side before wrapping it in dark wind and staring at the woman. “Of all the times for that old hag to be missing… We could really use her firepower.”

Seeing the woman stand idly with her sword, Nazin raised his own and said, “What else can we do? We fight… and we win.”

Rousing his mana, he charged. At the same time, he threw out his left hand, using Dragon’s Grasp to try and keep the woman still to create an opening.

She smiled.


Off to the side, further back in the forest, another clash occurred.

Nero jumped out of the way of a dark shockwave and then said, “Father! Stop this!”

Demon Lord Krozma spun to look at the white-haired demon and roared. “NERO! SO YOU BETRAYED ME!”

He flinched. “N-No! I never did!”

The monstrous Demon Lord swept out his hand, sending another dark shockwave.

Eve moved to Nero’s side and swept her hand as well, causing the shockwave to scatter. “It’s useless, Brother. Father is not in a rational state of mind.”

Krozma growled, his crimson eyes settling on Eve. “EVE…! SO YOU BETRAYED ME AS WELL! I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN YOU WOULD SCHEME BEHIND MY BACK!"

Eve shrugged. "See?"

Nero grit his teeth.

Krozma swung his head up like a feral beast and then roared. With it, dark lightning crackled into existence before racing towards the demon siblings.

At that time, Elio stepped in, his sword raised. A ripple swept out over the area and the lightning raced towards his sword, drawn in like a lightning rod. Immediately after, his blade glowed and a burst of white light shot out towards the Demon Lord.

Krozma growled and swept his hands to the side, dark claws forming. With it, the light split apart, crashing behind him.

Explosions erupted in the ground, sending dirt and ash into the air.

Elio frowned and then said, “I apologize for the reminder, but remember that this is not your father, Nero. That person is still waiting back in our world. Holding back here will only mean that he will never see you again.”

“That’s…” Nero muttered and then, with a sigh, raised his sword. “That’s right.”

Krozma narrowed his eyes. “WHAT NONSENSE ARE YOU SAYING?!”

"Nothing that matters to you, Oh Demon Lord.” Elio smiled and said, “Now... I'm loathe to play the part after everything I've gone through, but let's act out this fight as a hero against the villain now, shall we?"

Eve nodded, raising her left hand. With it, darkness swirled around her, laced with crimson energy. “My apologies, Father. I’ll say it again when we meet once more in the next world.”

Nero let out a nervous laugh. “That makes it sound like we’re going to die here, Eve.”

She nodded. “Either we do… or Father will. Since he has used the Heart of Darkness in that manner, this will only end when either he or the world perishes.”

“…Dammit.” Nero clenched his teeth.

Elio raised his sword. “Prepare yourselves. I will lead, just match my steps.”

Krozma roared.

10