Chapter 168: Getting to Jania
199 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a careless smile on her face, Jania entered the restaurant, where she found a nice, relaxing seat near an aquarium. Jellyfish, whose bodies flickered with glimmering lights, curiously approached her, tainting her silhouette with their colourful glows. They wiggled for her attention, and she granted them.

As Jania playfully tapped the glass surface, Iris’s worry only grew. Jania’s seat was inside the formation of the unknown’s party; if they were to move, she wouldn’t be able to escape with her capacity as an Official Mage. But would they strike, in the middle of Donhalgen, under the ominous guillotine titled the Grand Formation?

She had to do something, but what could she do? Was it worth it to risk blowing over her cover? The last time, Ludmint stopped her, for the Grand Formation would do its job, but this time, Jania was not a mere mortal.

If she died, the Grand Formation might fail to revive her.

Iris’s dim eyes surveyed the restaurant. Though her heart wasn’t at the table, her conversation with Zici never ceased. Eating a piece of apple from Zici’s hand, Iris absentmindedly drew the layout of Prime Archive on the table. Her fingertip grazed the glass table, yet it produced no distraction.

“Lady Iris, what are you doing?” Zici tilted her head.

“Prime Archive is massive, monumental. I want to appreciate its grand scale thoroughly. By retracing my step, I construct my path, the composition of the myriad worlds.”

Zici smiled. “Touching words, Lady Iris. I thought you a noble lady who came here to admire the scenery, but your sophisticated bearing has proven me wrong. May I inquire about your pen name?”

“I am not an author, not yet. However, I’ve written two modest research papers, both published in the Magic and Myth Journal.”

“Magic and Myth Journal, one of the leading platforms on the topic of ancient history. Are you an explorer, a historian?” Zici’s eyes sparkled. “I’ve always admired those who stepped into the unknown, the retrievers of the lost knowledge.”

“Your high praise is too much. It was indeed a mystical experience, but the danger accompanying it made it not a pleasant moment.” Iris sighed. “Zici, could you help me get a book from the historical section? I just remembered its title.”

Iris told Zici about an obscure but comprehensive book. It was inside the historical section somewhere, but Zici would have to check through the shelves to find it, for not many people had asked for it. A perfect way to keep her out of danger.

Though confused, Zici could not reject the request. “As you desire, Lady Iris. Feel free to call for other guides in the case of loneliness.”

“How could I betray you, who had been with me since the beginning?” Iris chuckled. “I shall wait patiently for your return, but do not rush. I’m not going anywhere.”

Zici narrowed her eyes, her mouth still maintaining a bright smile. In the end, she left the restaurant perplexed and nervous. Maybe she failed to satisfy Lady Iris. No. Lady Iris did not hate her, but why, then, did she want her gone?

Iris could guess Zici’s thoughts, but there was nothing she could do; she would compensate Zici later, but now was not the time.

After Zici left the area, Iris quickly finished the free plate of dessert and fruits. Once she drank the last drop of her milkshake, she elegantly raised her hand, motioning for a waitress.

As the waitress approached her, she yawned, shifting her aura to weariness and tiredness. Her eyes slightly drooped, her demeanour weak, feeble. She feebly smiled, appearing flustered.

“Anything of our assistance, Miss?” the waitress said.

“This is embarrassing, but can you tell me the direction to the toilet?” Iris shook her head. “This is my first time, and my guide is getting something for me. I don’t know when she will return.”

“Bodily needs are not embarrassing matters, Miss.” The waitress turned her head to the side and pointed in that direction. “Please exit through that door and turn left. There will be a sign guiding you to the nearest toilet.”

“Thank you.” Iris smiled. “Please watch the seat for me and, if my guide return, tell her I went to the toilet.”

“Yes, Miss.” The waitress nodded as she placed an occupied sign on the table before returning to her job.

Iris got up and walked toward the exit. She took a detour, leading herself indirectly to Jania’s seat. Her expression appeared distracted as she marvelled at the crystal decoration, the dreamy paintings, the orchestral band, and the large aquarium. Her eyes sparkled when beautiful fish swam to her.

When she approached Jania, multiple intimidating gazes fell on her back. If she were an ordinary mortal, she would have sweated, but an ordinary mortal would also not sense the hidden pressure. Despite her careful deliberation, she still couldn’t avoid the surveillance of the unknown party.

Still, she hadn’t yet done anything, and they had no reason to suspect her. However, the moment she attempted something, a fight would erupt.

How to warn Jania?

Iris caressed her engagement ring, Memory Forever Cherished, but she decided against using it. If the power of a Condensation Phase Monster Girl appeared, the Grand Formation would place its full attention upon her, and she would lose her last chance at dying.

While Iris was contemplating her plan, Jania turned in her direction. Iris slipped into a corner, pretending to look at a group of jellyfish. It was too risky; if Jania saw her, she would call; Iris would enter the main stage.

She had to risk it. Iris shifted her posture, altering her appearance ever so slightly. She kept her face away from Jania and modified her walking pace and demeanour; she would pass Jania’s table but say nothing.

The return trip would be when she worked her magic.

She sauntered toward Jania’s seat. The pressures on her amplified. The suffocating air gripped her chest, dragging down her footsteps. With an invisible blade hanging over her neck, she soundlessly, expressionlessly marched on.

“Iris, I never once thought you a heartless lady. Why did you ignore your friend?” Jania seized Iris’s hand. “Did you come here to make more friends behind my back?”

“I . . . I was too deep in my thoughts and missed you, Lady Jania.” Iris wryly smiled. “If I’d known you were here, I would have come to greet you.”

While speaking, Iris clenched her fists. Her Corruption Power flowed to her palms, creating strings of symbols beneath her sleeves. Her eyes swept the restaurant, her feet shifting to a defensive posture. The pressures piling onto her magnified endlessly, threatening to rupture in the next instant.

Jania laughed. She raised her right hand and clasped it into a fist. The crisis vanished, and the bodyguards retracted their gaze. “Now that no one is bothering us, can we converse like old time?”

“You know them?” Iris turned to look at one of the bodyguards, who avoided her gaze. He bowed slightly at her, revealing his respect for both Jania and her. “Who are you, really?”

“Guess correctly, and there will be a prize.”

Iris sat opposite Jania and stared at her mysterious friend, unmoving. Her weariness dissipated. “You aren’t getting out of your seat before I know the truth. I won’t allow the same thing to repeat itself.”

“How heartless. Your threatening words hurt my feelings. Why did my gentle, teary Iris go?”

“She remained in the library to which you never returned. There is only this mean, stubborn Iris now. You’ll have to retrieve that version of me yourself.”

Smiling, Jania reached for a piece of grape. Her fingers gently pinched its surface and took it to her mouth, but Iris seized her hand and ate it, licking that finger.

“Starvation sets in. And drought follows,” Iris smirked. “You’ll now learn how mean I can be. The me you saw back then is but a fragment of mine, a distorted image. The me in front of you is the truth, the complete picture.”

“Fortunately, I am good at sculpting.” Jania leaned forward. “I only need to make my vision a reality. You taught me that people change. Why can you not change back to your sorrowful, vulnerable self?”

“Though things change, a part of them may never.” Iris stood up. “I will always be me; you will always be you. Even if you hide it from me, you will still be that Jania. And the one I know will only be a mere mask. Do you not trust your close friend?”

There was silence, meditative silence. The fussy chattering in the background hummed, but it distracted not Iris nor Jania. Their minds wandered, predicted, and prepared for various responses and answers.

They carefully weighed their truth and lies, producing an endless array of sentences, most of which were too tasteless and flimsy to employ.

“This isn’t the right place.” Jania sighed.

“Then I shall accompany you to the private lounge.” Iris took out her visitor pass. “I shall pay the fee myself. No excuse allowed.”

“Do I look like a poor woman?” Jania raised her brows. “I’m paying. Not just the special lounge. I’m playing for your food too. I’m paying for your everything.”

“You don’t have to compensate me; I can pay for myself.” Iris didn’t want to weigh on Jania. The price tags were dreadful, and she feared Jania might regret it.

Despite Iris’s persuasion, Jania called for a waitress and then whispered something to her. The waitress nervously retreated, bowed deeply, and turned to Iris, beaming.

“My sincere apology, Lady Iris. We didn’t know you are a friend of the lady.” The waitress kept her gaze low, maintaining her full respect. “Of course, we shan’t take any money from you. Your presence blesses our business.”

Iris dismissed the waitress while staring at Jania. “Are you finally revealing your true nature? I know you’re a young miss of a noble family, but I didn’t think you would be so influential.”

“A bit of connection here and there goes a long way.” Jania got up from her seat and raised her hand toward Iris. “To our hidden paradise?”

Iris wanted to place her hand on Jania’s, but she could not. “Not yet. I came here with a guide. If I disappear, she’ll be worried.”

“Why not bring her with us?” Jania looked around. “What is her name?”

“If you bully her because of me, I won’t forgive you.”

“I must be really petty in your eyes.” Jania faked a weep. “Should I act as you thought I might?”

“Don’t twist my words.” Iris pointed at her empty table. “My seat is there, and my guide’s name is Zici Monalin.”

“I’m surprised you did not lie to me.” Jania followed Iris to the table. “I thought you would deceive me to cover your cute partner.”

So you know I’m here all along, but you never come to me. Iris coughed. “We are customer and guide, our relationship pure.”

“Why not ask her?” Jania turned to the entrance of the restaurant, where Zici, with a thick book in her hand, returned. She had been hardworking, swiftly searching and securing the book Iris requested.

When she found Iris sitting with Jania, her eyes widened.

So close to the truth!


Special thanks to my patrons: Jammin' Rabbit, Zeeksi, Linaith!

Like always, you can support me on Patreon, or visit my Discord!

8