Chapter 7
141 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What should they do? Where should they go? What was their goal? Billy thought it over, but he still could not come up with a decent answer.

Who knew what monsters laid in whichever direction they went. He did not even know what his goal was right now.

Getting stronger meant fighting more monsters, increase his stats, and gaining allies. Yet, for what purpose? Who knew how long they would need to survive here for.

"We plan on staying here or what?"

Young-Dae questioned Billy as he could see the man was lost in his thoughts.

Awoken from the questions he had, Billy shook his head.

He saw Clips leave heading north, so their little group should head opposite. There was something about him that caused Billy to worry.

Maybe it was due to his knowledge about personalities, but Clips felt dangerous. He was a man with many supporters, and Billy did not want to contend with that.

'Let's take it slow. Increases my power, then worry about others.'

Billy thought to himself as he dismissed thoughts of Clips.

"We head there."

"I wonder if there are any dungeons here?"

Chang asked as the three men walked off.

"Dungeons? Like those things in video games?"

Young-Dae asked in response.

Chang nodded.

"Yeah. We have stats, no? There are monsters here, so there could be a chance there's a dungeon as well."

Pausing for a second, Chang glanced behind them. The green grass was stained red with blood, and corpses filled the plain.

It was a sight to see, and Chang was glad he was not one of those who had fallen. His hand gripped the hilt of his blade tightly. The choice he made was the right one, and he knew that. As long as he followed Billy, things would be fine.

"And where there are dungeons, there is also loot."

"Kid. This isn't a game; as much as I would like to believe it is one, it's not. Dungeons, dragons, and whatnot. No matter what it is, do you want to face off against it?"

Young-Dae asked.

Chang was silent for a moment.

"It is not like he is wrong. This is not a game, but we have to continue to progress. If we stop for a moment, we lose."

Billy chimed in.

"Lose what? What is there to lose here?"

"Your life for one."

"You can lose that anytime, anywhere. It's just a matter of when."

Young-Dae responded.

"You sound religious. Are you someone who believes in God and Fate?"

"Don't we all have some sort of belief?"

Young-Dae asked Billy.

True. Although Billy did not believe in God, he did think there was a higher force at play. His mindset in life was that everything happened for a reason.

A lot of the things that occurred in your life were based on the choices you've made. At least that was how he saw it.

"I, for one, do not plan on dying. Fate can test me all it wants, but I plan to pass and keep living. And if the way to do that is to enter dungeons or hunt a dragon, then that's exactly what I'm going to do."

He knew how death felt, and it was not a good feeling. Even now, he could still feel those last moments right before he died.

Maybe it was death calling to him, telling Billy that he could not escape his fate - because the wind blew right past him after he said those words.

"Didn't take you as the ambitious type."

"Not ambitious. Just doing what I can to survive this tutorial. Once this shit is over, I'm living a nice quiet life."

Billy replied to Young-Dae as the trees became denser. It was difficult to see far in front of them, and as he turned his head, he noticed it was hard to see where they had entered.

This may not have been the right path to take.

"Why a quiet life? What is the point in that?"

Billy wanted to smile but couldn't. If only Chang knew the difference between living life in the slow lane rather than a fast one.

Everything that glitters doesn't make it gold. If others wanted to continue on whatever path this place set for them, then all the power to them. However, he would not participate. Risking his life once was enough. He was not a fighter, after all.

Billy stopped moving, and so did Chang and Young-Dae.

"Something is here."

"From the footsteps, more than just one. Maybe three of four."

Young-Dae added.

Billy wanted to ask him how he could know that but now was not the time.

Chang unscathed his sword, ready for action.

Even Billy gripped his spear tightly. What was coming? Was it strong? Was it weak?

All kinds of questions emerged in his mind. All of them were left unanswered.

The footsteps were rapidly approaching, no longer sounding distant.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!"

A voice cried out as if that was the only word they knew how to say.

It belonged to a man, who could be considered handsome if not for the blood covering his face. He was terrified that much Billy was sure of.

Seeing their group of three, the man ran up to Chang and grabbed him by the arms.

"Help me!"

He pleaded.

"What is going on? Who are you?"

The man wasn't even given a chance to answer. An arrow pierced his head, causing his body to drop to the ground. Chang was stunned; his eyes grew large.

"Motherfu-"

Young-Dae stopped himself from finishing as he grabbed Chang's right arm and pulled him close.

An arrow landed where Chang was previously standing.

"What monster shoots bows?"

Chang asked, startled. He was shaken by what had happened. His sword hand was shivering.

"A person."

Young-Dae answered.

"Run that way, and I'll hold them off!"

"Are you crazy? What are you going to do?"

"I made a promise Chang. I'll be fine, trust me."

Young-Dae did not look worried at all. In fact, he seemed calm, as if everything was going to be alright.

"We don't have time for yall farewell party. Are we leaving or not? Not much time for chitchat. This isn't some anime or webtoon bullcrap."

Billy spoke up as he felt a bit annoyed by these two. They were wasting precious time talking when they could have run away.

'Danger.'

Billy thought to himself as he sensed something was off. To him, it felt as if someone had a gun pointed at him.

His first instinct was to dodge, and that's exactly what he did. His body moved to the left, and as it did, something whizzed past him.

From the corner of his eye, he saw an arrow.

A moment later, Billy gazed into the dense trees. He could not see what was out there, but he felt it. The feeling was new, and for some reason, he could tell where the attack came from.

His actions did not escape Chang and Young-Dae's sight. They were shocked by Billy’s fast movements.

Whatever Billy was feeling, he felt no more. Whoever or whatever attacked them was gone.

5