Chapter 8
153 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chang hand his left hand over his heart as he calmed his breathing. That sudden attack shocked him and if it was not for Young-Dae, he would surely be dead.

How could his father's friend sense the danger but he could not? Even Billy was able to react. Gritting his teeth, he thought about how weak he was.

Studying was his forte, and although he was given this sword that did not mean he could use it. Chang knew this was not a game, but the only way he could keep somewhat calm was by thinking it was a game. Just something he would wake up from in time.

Even when others were dying from the wolves, Chang felt nothing. Mostly because he was not close to them and was more focused on attaching himself to Billy.

Yet, his knees felt weak and his stomach was turning.

His black eyes slowly moved until it stopped on a corpse. Eyes wide open with an arrow through his head. The arrow was partially sticking out, and blood soaked the ground.

That man...

Chang couldn't stay focused on him for long as he turned his body away from the others and threw up.

"Let it out now, you won't have time to later."

Young-Dae told Chang.

He did not come over to pat him on the shoulder nor tell him everything would be alright. That's because he knew things were far from it. A second slower and Chang would have been dead.

Young-Dae did not want Chang to witness this, but they were long past that. This was no longer Korea, and the law did not apply.

"Why? Why would someone kill?"

Chang asked as he wiped his mouth with his sleeve.

"No one can answer that, there's no specific reason. Everyone has their own goals, their own ambition. But if people are already killing others, we shouldn't trust anyone."

Young-Dae answered.

"This is stupid! How are we going to survive if we don't know who to trust? We have to worry about creatures and now humans too?"

Chang shouted.

"Then there is food and water, shelter too."

Billy added.

"Young-Dae is right, this place is not our world anymore. We are not bound by the law, and there are no rules set in stone. Maybe this is what true freedom is."

Young-Dae clicked his tongue.

"We'll just be a bunch of savages moving to accomplish our goals. Anyone standing in our way is an enemy. If that's what freedom is I don't want it."

"Then we gather others and enforce the law. If there's no law, we'll create it!"

Chang exclaimed.

"This isn't some novel kid, this is real. Create the law? We aren't strong, we are not many, we know dipshit about governing. Your thinking is good, but let's be honest here no one will give a rats ass about anything you say. There are thousands of people here, and if I recall this is just one zone. Out of how many? There is zero way to keep everyone in check and even if there was, who would do it? Why would they do it?"

Billy quickly cut down Chang's ambition. As noble as it seemed, that idea of his was dead.

Young-Dae stayed silent, he knew Billy was right even if his words were harsh. They needed to adapt to this place or they'll be eaten alive.

Billy looked over at Young-Dae for a second.

"Thought you said there would be three to four, but we only saw one. If you count the shooter then that's two."

Pointing in the direction the dead man came from, Young-Dae started to talk.

"Just go there and you'll see. Judging from how he was being hunted, the others are more than likely dead."

Billy rubbed his beard as he thought it over.

"We should not stick around here. Their blood could attract monsters and although we want to get stronger, facing off against more would be suicide."

"Uncle Dae, how were you able to see that attack coming?"

Chang asked before the conversation went any further. It was something he was curious about.

"I did not see it, more so as I could sense it. After I changed my class I became more in tune with my surroundings."

"Is it your sense stat?"

Billy asked. He was not one to ask many questions because he did not like others asking him questions. But this was different, and he hoped that Young-Dae would help clarify some things.

"No, I do not have a stat for sense. I'm not even sure what that is. I believe it is from my perception."

Young-Dae answered honestly.

Billy looked over his stats once more but failed to see the stat that Young-Dae was talking about.

"Maybe it is from your class? I do not have the perception stat, but I do have one that says sense."

Chang added.

Billy realized that he knew too little about his own stats and what they did. Sure, he had a general idea of what they did but that did not mean those stats actually did what he imagined. Now he could tell that stats change, more than likely based on the class you chose.

Young-Dae nodded in agreement.

"I also do not have any Mana, instead I have something called Qi."

"They are essentially the same thing, except used differently. Qi from what I know or what I've followed can be stored in your body, and used whenever. However mana is outside in the air and all around us. We can manipulate it to cater to our needs. That's only if we talk about it from a fictional standpoint."

Billy told the two of them.

"What is your perception at?"

Billy asked Young-Dae.

"50. I can see further than I could before, but I can feel my surroundings. People, creatures. I can feel their presence."

"My sense stat is at 10, and I can feel danger. So I guess our abilities are similar, minus the sight increase."

Billy turned and walked off.

"We should keep moving."

There was a lot to think about, and he would not mind trading information with Young-Dae. Billy was not open to it at first, but now he could see how it could benefit him.

He wondered how their stats changed them. Were they evolving? Transcending past their limitations and becoming something else?

Maybe. That option was not strange now that he thought about it.

But, why the class system? What purpose did it serve?

Billy took a deep breath. He was doing it again. Thinking too much, thinking too far ahead. He disliked when that happened, and he needed to stay in the moment.

7