Chapter 9
127 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Young-Dae felt three lifeforms in front of them. After they passed through the trees and took the path on the left, they would meet. The only problem was that he was clueless as to if they were people or if they were monsters.

Still, he stopped moving, and so did the other two.

"Three northeast of us."

Young-Dae said calmly as he watched Billy nod his head.

Chang was still shaken from their encounter earlier, and Young-Dae was doubtful that things would calm down. He could still remember how he felt about his first dead body. At that time, he was unable to sleep for days.

The worst part did not even hit Chang yet, but when it did, the young man would never forget that feeling. Nor would he forget what he witnessed today.

Thinking about it for a second, Young-Dae doubted that anyone would forget today.

Creeping forward slowly, he made his way closer to the lifeforms he felt.

Turning his head every few steps, he made sure that the other two were still following. Sure enough, they were.

Young-Dae was leading because he could feel lifeforms in the area so they could encounter or avoid combat whenever they wanted. This was a handy perk, but he did not feel special.

"Three monkeys..."

Billy said in a whisper as he eyed the creatures before him.

White fur, red eyes, and long thick arms. The creature was definitely different from an average monkey, but then again, it's been years since Billy saw one. Maybe this was how they looked and just forgot.

"How do you want to approach?"

Young-Dae asked Billy in a hushed tone trying not to draw the creature's attention.

Truthfully, Billy was unsure. If these were wolves, he would charge them since he had a good feel for their strengths and attack patterns. Yet, this was a whole different opponent. He knew nothing about it, so it was foolish to fight it with a frontal assault.

Stealth was not an option since they did not have any long-ranged weapons. So, in the end, there was only one answer.

"I'll go out first. You and Chang flank from the side."

Young-Dae agreed, seeing that nothing was wrong with the plan. He assumed that Billy might use Chang as bait, but he did not. If he were to, then his opinion of Billy would change.

Even if someone had to be the bait, it was best if it were him. He had the most combat experience out of the three, so his chances of surviving were higher.

The only thing Young-Dae did not know was that Billy had increased his defense. So even if Young-Dae could protect himself, Billy's body was no longer the same as a normal person's. His durability had increased.

Billy rushed out from behind the trees with his spear in hand. The tip was pointed at the closest monkey, ready to kill it in one shot.

Instead of a piercing strike through the body, all Billy got was a fierce look. The monkey dodged his surprise attack with ease as it somersaulted to the side.

Its companions started to point at Billy and laugh. At least, that is what he assumed they were doing by the motion of their hand and that annoying sound coming from their mouths.

Pushing his foot off the ground, Billy darted forward, striking towards the closest monkey. He was slow, and he knew it. The monkey dodged his blow and started to jump around.

It turned its naked butt towards Billy and slapped it two times. The monkey's companions did the same. Clearly, the three of them were enjoying making fun of Billy.

Even though they were just creatures, Billy felt furious. It was childish to get angry at these creatures, but their taunts were getting under his skin. How could he ignore them when they surrounded him.

Before he had a chance to make another move, one monkey grabbed a handful of dirt and tossed it at Billy. The creature aimed for his face causing Billy to raise his hand and block the attack.

His vision was covered for only a moment, but that was all the creatures needed. They were small and agile.

Climbing on top of Billy, one monkey pulled his hair while another one yanked on his ear. Swatting them away was difficult as they continued to move around.

To others, he would look like a clown as he danced to the tune of these three creatures.

As his body moved, he suddenly found himself losing balance. Falling straight on his back, Billy hit the ground hard.

The entire scene only took place in a few seconds.

Chang rushed out, brandishing his sword, ready to give it a swing. His movements were just as slow as Billy's were, but the monkeys were not paying him any attention. They were focused on the man on the ground.

Still taunting him as they watched his facial expression change.

Young-Dae's movements were swift. He arrived a full five seconds before Chang did, and with his arrival came a straight punch.

It held some power behind it because when it connected with the monkey on top of Billy’s stomach, the creature flew backward. It may have flown further if not for the tree it crashed into.

Finally catching the attention of Young-Dae, the other two monkeys were enraged. However, Chang already swung his sword.

As the monkey was about to jump out of the way, Billy grabbed onto its slim legs.

"Where do you think you're going?"

Billy asked the creature with a smirk on his face.

Chang's sword cut into the monkey, but it wasn't deep enough to kill it right away. Still, the blade lodged itself into the monkey's right shoulder, and Billy laughed as it howled in pain.

Just how they found enjoyment out of him, he too found it amusing seeing them suffer.

Young-Dae followed up Chang’s attack with a chop to the monkey's neck. Billy heard something crack, and he felt his body shudder.

One monkey left.

Billy got up from the ground and picked up his spear.

Next to his comrade that was in pain due to Young-Dae's punch was the last monkey. It seemed to say something to its friend.

None of them could understand a word, but they did not need to. All they had to do was kill the two of them.

The three men dashed forward, ready to strike.

Seeing his comrade still dazed, the last monkey swiftly claimed up the tall tree. It had to survive, and it had to escape.

Its friend was pummeled to the ground as the three humans killed it. Raged filled the eyes of the creature as it glared at Billy and his two companions.

"%$_÷@/+!"

The creature shouted while pointing to the three humans.

In response, Billy gave the creature a middle finger.

It was childish, he knew that, but they did piss him off. Under normal circumstances, he would rarely pull a stunt like this. But this was one of those special occasions.

The gang watched as the last monkey escaped as it jumped from tree to tree. Eventually, they could no longer see the monkey.

"I did not take you for the kind to be easily triggered."

Young-Dae commented as he gazed at Billy.

"Well, we all have something that gets under our skin at some point, don't we?"

"And yours just happened to be monkeys, huh?"

4