Chapter 20: A Farce
3.5k 20 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Ailsa age change: 13 years old -> 14 years old

(Ailsa POV)

My father told my siblings and me that "Alvaine is standing on pillars of sand. Although the empire appears sturdy at the moment, without those pillars of sand becoming stone, it would crumble. The only way to transform the sand pillars was to reform the empire. In the future, this responsibility will rest on you, my children." Most of what my father said was right, but I disagreed on one point. As a princess of the Alvaine Empire, I couldn't wait till I was older to reform the empire, I had to act now.

I first tried killing monsters, then tried apprehending criminals, but my actions had a negligible effect on the overall state of the empire. When I asked my father why my actions had little impact, he stroked my hair and replied in a gentle tone "Ailsa, you cannot eliminate a tree by cutting its leaves." I knew what he meant, to reform the empire, I had to deal with corrupt nobles.

However, I could not touch nobles themselves, I was young and had little influence. Instead, I decided to focus on the nobles' children. Utilizing the royal intelligence networks and my guards, I created a list of people who would become a detriment to Alvaine in the future.

However, I believed that a person could be reformed before reaching a certain point. I took it upon myself to reform these future nobles. My methods differed depending on their personalities, for some I humiliated them, others I created fear towards me, and some I threw into prison, hoping the experience would shock them.

People accused me, they called me a tyrant for abusing their children with no evidence. It didn't matter to me if I they called me a tyrant, my actions wouldn't change. I would do anything to reform Alvaine. As my father said, "The ends justify the means." I'm sure if my mother was alive, she would be happy with my actions. Her last wish for me was to become a great princess.

When I went to Duke Pendel's residence for his son's engagement party, I knew it was an opportune time to deal with a high-priority target, Rorik Pendle.

That person was a blemish on the honorable Duke Pendel's reputation, he had no talent and was a companion of criminals. He didn't show any behavior of becoming a potential criminal, but I still marked him as a high-priority target. I believe that it is not possible for someone who only talks to criminals to not have a future as a criminal. I knew that if his path wasn't corrected, it had the potential to cause catastrophic damage to the empire.

It's truly a shame I only saw him briefly at the dinner party before he vanished. No matter how much I questioned Duke Pendel, his response was the same, Rorik was studying for a career as a military advisor.

We both knew it was a lie but I knew it would be rude to the Duke if I was to inquire further. I was frustrated, I can't let such a high-priority target escape my grasp. I decided to stay in the city a little longer and wait for an opportune moment.

However, my attention shifted when I heard the news of the Information Guild hosting an auction. The guards I had around the royal capital would not permit me to attend these sorts of 'grey' auctions, but the guards I had with me right now were from my father's guards. These people would listen to me unless my actions threatened my life. When I told them I wanted to attend, they made the arrangements.

It was truly a coincidence that I managed to see my target, Rorik Pendel, attending the auction. I knew it was him without even meeting his eyes, perhaps he was the only person who could attend an auction like this without ki or mana. This was the perfect time for me to execute my plan.

I told Saven to confirm that it was Rorik and if he did confirm, to bring him to my room. Thankfully, I wasn't wrong, and I found myself face to face with the child who was friends with criminals.

I had already thought of the simplest way to bring him on the right path. If he learned the true depravity of criminals, he would naturally stop associating with them. So, I accused him.

I accused him of attending this auction to transport manuals to criminal organizations. I knew it wasn't true, if someone like him bid on a manual, he would be killed as he left the auction. He probably did visit the auction to entertain himself as he said. But it didn't matter, all I needed was an excuse.

I told Saven to throw him into the major prison in this area. It might seem extreme to some, but this was the perfect solution to cure his problems. When he begs the wardens for mercy, realizing his mistakes, I'll let him leave the prison. Until then, he will remain there.

I felt no pity for him. If he wanted my pity, he shouldn't have associated with criminal scum. However, I do feel embarrassed at that farce, anyone could tell that it was simply an abuse of my power. 

However, I will do anything and everything I can to achieve my goal. Because I am a royal of Alvaine and it is my duty. As long as I fulfiled my duty I would be a great princess.

What did you think of Ailsa's motivation. I tried to make it realistic.

91