Prologue
222 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The lone figure in white was stark amidst the roar of the coliseum. The stands were packed to the brim with humans, elves, and shifters alike, all present to watch the punishment of their long-term tormentors. Twelve black robed figures were shackled with slightly glowing gold chains, each sporting a bridle with that same coloration and glow. The figure in white lagged behind them, and was the only person not attended to by guards.

The white robe could not hide the beautiful proportions of the woman wearing it. Her red phoenix eyes were relaxed. Her willow leaf eyebrows had no tension, as if what was occurring in the coliseum didn't matter. The elven beauty, with a touch of devilish charm, looked wholly relaxed and carefree following behind the prisoners being led to a large gate erected in the center of the coliseum.

This elven woman was known as Roselia. The twelve prisoners who were bound so tightly they could not move without assistance were her former comrades. Their roles today were the guilty sinners being sent to the gallows. Despite the different treatment Roselia had, she too would face her punishment today.

A heavily scarred woman in leather armor filled with runes stood by the large gate in the center of the coliseum. With a wave of her hand, she began speaking with an amplified voice.

"Quiet down!"

The coliseum almost immediately ceased their chatter. The crowd stared intently at the speaker with trust in their eyes. The woman continued speaking after she commanded the attention of all those present.

"Today is a day of reckoning. We are here to witness the punishment of the tyrants who plagued our kingdoms for far too long. They may have been heroes once, but the moment they used their power for their own selfish desires was the moment their identities as heroes ceased to exist. They cannot be killed, and imprisonment is too dangerous with their abilities. The only solution is exile."

She pointed to the gate in emphasis with her next words.

"This is a divine powered gate that can open a Dimensional Portal to anywhere that exists in reality. With guidance from the Sun Goddess Aurelis and the Moon God Lunero, the destinations for the Dimensional Portal were set to twelve different uninhabitable worlds where the sanguine royals cannot gain access to blood. Once they enter the Portal, the chains on their body will transform into coffins, and that will be their everlasting prison."

She paused for a moment for that to sink in.

"I know the pain and suffering we have all gone through. This is the best punishment the Revolution's leaders could think of to satisfy the pain in our hearts. These tyrants will never take another step in Avalia again. Thank you all for being here with me today to witness this historical moment. Avalia has no more need of monarchs or sanguine royals."

With a glance towards Roselia, she extended her hand towards her in a motion of calling her up next to her. Rose walked over with a relaxed gait. The coliseum's crowd stared at her with complicated eyes. Some looked at her with awe, others looked confused, and even more seemed worried.

"I know many here have differing opinions on how to handle Saint Roselia's case. She was not apart of the same tyranny her kin committed, and she was a key reason we were able to succeed in our revolution. In truth, the Revolution's leaders did not want her to be here today. This is a decision the Saint made herself. Please explain your decision, Saint Roselia."

Rose sighed. This was not something she ever expected to do, but she had her own responsibilities to consider.

"I'm sure you're all wondering why I'm here. You must think that since I did not directly participate in the torture that my former comrades put you through, I don't need to be punished. I'm here to say that that's not true. My crime is inaction and negligence. I'm the most powerful of us for a reason, and I should have stopped them years ago. Instead, I went through the years in a muddleheaded manner without paying attention to anything that happened outside of Sol Kingdom. Furthermore, my very existence is a threat to the balance of power in Avalia. I cannot stay here as the only immortal among mortals. I am voluntarily going through a similar punishment as the other sanguine royals."

She sighed again. At this point, the crowd watching from the stands had various reactions to her words. The most common expression was a scrunched face with an impressive frown.

"I could not convince Aurelis or Lunero to set my destination to a similar one as the others, but I will be sent somewhere far from here. The Dimensional Portal by default will send the traveler to a random place, and that will be my punishment. It's all up to luck from there. I know my citizens and my admirers have a different opinion than I on my fate, but think of it as allowing me to go on a permanent vacation. Avalia doesn't need my protection anymore, you've all proven yourselves strong enough to protect yourselves. Let me go in peace so that you all can fully step out of the shadows of our influence. Avalia will always be my home, but now it's time for me to leave."

With those closing words, the speeches were over. The large gate's doors shimmered before disappearing into a void. The area the doors were in became a swirling galactic veil, waiting for travelers to step through.

One by one, the twelve former regents were sent through the Dimensional Portal. The expression of resignation and unwillingness were clear through their bridles. No matter what they thought, they were all sent through.

And then it was Roselia's turn. There were increasing shouts of "don't go," "we still need you," and "don't leave us." They all fell on deaf ears. This was her responsibility. It was also her final duty towards this world. Staying would only ruin their future, and she could not allow that to happen.

With a final fleeting smile on that gorgeous face, she stepped through the Portal.

So hey there. This is a story that I'm making up on the fly. There's no plot outline or even any particular plans for it. This story is essentially my attempt to reverse engineer Roselia's personality. The prologue is somewhat of a summary of what story I'm actually working on, but I haven't thought of the full outline for that yet. I just want to find some inspiration for myself with this as a catalyst. There's no update schedule and it's essentially a story I'm writing in my free time on a whim. This is my formal disclaimer so as not to let anyone have high expectations about this.

16