Chapter 34 – An Unexpected Turn of Events
50 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

["An Unexpected Turn of Events"]

{Location : EUF HQ - USA - Washington DC}

"Some time has passed. The facility complex was now a finished HQ for Ghost Squad. It has to remain a secret until further notice from Admiral David Morgan who's in charge of the team. They are preparing a rescue mission to save Rj and Susan who are being held captive somewhere in Rexus Prime. If they don't save them in time, the enemy might get information from them or even kill them which will be a terrible blow to Ghost Squad and their morale. They are going through all their options to locate them"

D.Morgan: Things are going from bad to worst. There are two bad news at the moment. I got information from one of our patrol frigates that have partially blockaded Rexus Prime. I was informed that one of our corvettes got destroyed by anti-space guns captured by the Separatists, so they could make an opening for a small transport shuttle that was heading over to Lion's Gate. The captain of the frigate described the transport as an old RPU shuttle.

Kate: Wait. How can this be? Are they still on the fight? I thought we won those guys!

D.Morgan: We did. But like I said previously, some escaped.

Max: So, they are probably sending reinforcements to aid the revolution?

D.Morgan: Now, that would be the logical thing to think. But all this hustle can't just be for a small amount of reinforcing troops. I'm suspecting that a high rank of the former RPU has entered the planet for his own reasons.

Reyna: Alright. Seems like that is the case then. But who might that be? If there is anyone left that's not killed or captured, what importance might he have anyway?

D.Morgan: I think it's time to tell you the other bad news. And I'm sorry I did not mention it beforehand. I had a lot in mind and a lot more were happening all around. You must understand my position.

Max: What happened?

D.Morgan: There has been an...escape from our prison in Siberia. I'm sure you all understand what that means.

Reyna: WHAT? Victus is free? H---how?

Zeon: Isn't this prison the most well-guarded in the whole planet?

Kate: Exactly!

D.Morgan: Apparently they managed to break the safety protocols and eliminate most of the guards.

Reyna: Wait. Did they send an assault force there? How is that even possible?

D.Morgan: It was Darkstar Squad. Team Darkstar, call them whatever you want. Those spec ops of the Rexian Army survived our "kill or capture" mission that took place about two days ago and only the three of them managed to do enough damage to our troops than a whole assault element would have done. Second Lt.James Cooper ordered the operation to begin with three of his most trusted men, as volunteers. But they failed. At least two got injured and one more died. Specialist Ron Clay died when he tried to capture one of the members of Darkstar Squad. Staff Sergeant Jay Fisher was badly injured but he is stable for now.

Reyna: Did you just say "Jay Fisher"? Oh no...

D.Morgan: Yes...Do you know him?

Reyna: I do...we are on a relationship. But...How? He told me he would be back in a month or so and that he didn't have any more work to do. Oh God.

D.Morgan: Oh. I didn't know that to be honest. Don't worry though. Yes, he was shot, but he is stable now and he will survive with no permanent injuries as far as I know.

Reyna: I mean...That's of course very relaxing to hear. I---don't even know what to feel right now.

D.Morgan: You don't have to feel anything. You must only focus on our next step.

Kate: Alright, so let me get this straight. You mean to tell us that some days ago, Victus escaped our most well-guarded prison with just three or so members of a former elite team that our own team wasn't able to capture? And you're telling us all this now?

D.Morgan: Like I said, Kate. You have to understand my situation. I had a lot of things going about. It was simply more a mess that you can think of. First to know was, of course, the council, the government and the high-ranks. I was about to tell you as well after I was informed, but I had to wait. It is still a secret to the public. The citizens must not realise that the most dangerous man in the known galaxy escaped Siberia.

Reyna: Holy shit. This is...a mess, really.

D.Morgan: I'm sure that all of you understand now.

Max: Alright, so wait. About what you told us. About the transport. Do you think that Victus would just enter a war zone just like that? There is no way. He came for a reason.

D.Morgan: We're not completely sure if it was Victus. Or that he came alone if it was indeed him. But what we do know is that no one else could have wasted almost all their ammunition in order to just "make a passage". So you can call it a hunch, but I think that is exactly what's going on. And if that's indeed the case, then you four have another mission as well. To kill the man responsible. To end Victus once and for all. We have no use for him alive anymore. If he dies, then his campaign dies along with him. If he doesn't...well. Then things are going to get a lot more worse, than you can ever imagine.

Kate: Alright boss. Tell us what we need to do.

"In the meantime, Susan wakes up some time later in a dark room. There are some holes in the building for the light to come in. She's still in pain from before. She sees Rj next to her, as well, losing blood from his leg injury. With no other thought, she grabs a piece of cloth from her clothes and wraps it around his leg to stop the bleeding. Rj's face looks beaten up. He has scars and bruises from the punches he got, even though they are beginning to recline. Some time later, Rj wakes up. He sees Susan with scars on her neck, face and hands. The clothes they are wearing are partially filled with blood stains."

Rj: Ah. What happened? S---Susan? Oh my God, Susan! Are you hurt?

Susan: It's...nothing. I'm alright.

Rj: What's---that on your neck?

Susan: Nothing...It's nothing.

Rj: Let me see.

Susan: Don't worry about it, it's---

Rj: Oh Gosh...What did they do to you?

Susan: Rj...It's just a scratch. Agh, It's nothing---

Rj: Oh no...

"Susan clearly had trouble with her neck and Rj couldn't help but notice that"

Susan: I'd rather...not talk about it. I'm glad you woke up. How are you feeling?

Rj: Like I head-dived in a really large rock. My head hurts...

Susan: We need to get out of here. There has to be a way out.

Rj: No equipment...no escape.

Susan: Damn it! We need to figure something out!

Rj: Don't know about you...But I can't do anything for this. There's no way we're getting out of here without our equipment...or a miracle...

Susan: Then we must make a miracle of our own! Come on Rj! You're telling me you can't figure something out?

Rj: I'm sorry...Susan. I---I am sorry...I---I can't...

Susan: Please, Rj. You must help me in that. Otherwise we're going to be executed!

Rj: I'm sorry. It's---It's over. It's all over...I simply can't think.

Susan: No, no! Don't give up so easily! We---We can do this! I---I can...do this! I---

"Rj grabs susan by the shoulders"

Rj: Can't you see, Susan? We can't get out! We have nothing! We don't even know where the hell we are! I am beaten up and I can barely fucking move! Even if we tried to run they would just capture us again or shoot us on spot! I feel like passing out in a matter of hours and I can't even do something about it! Plus, our friends don't know where we are and we're captured right in enemy territory! We thought we won this war but it turns out to be the exact opposite! The most dangerous man in the world is now free and I don't know how much time we've got left to live! CAN'T YOU FUCKING SEE?

"Susan looks upon Rj with tears in her eyes"

Rj: Look, Susan, I---

Susan: No...You're right, Rj. There's nothing we can do now. We're both as good as dead anyway...

Rj: S---Susan? No...I didn't mean to---

"Rj tries to hold her hand. But she drags it away from him"

Susan: Just...forget it.

"Suddenly two men come inside. They open the cell"

Separatist 1: Oh, look who we have here? A pathetic excuse for a man and his personal whore! Hey Bill? Ain't that the two guys Victus was trying to capture many times over? Oh well, well, well, what a coincidence!

Susan: Call me a whore one more time and I swear you'll be begging for death once I'm done with you.

Separatist 1: Ha ha! Hey Bill, did you hear that? That little bitch thinks she can best me!

Separatist 2: Oh, really? Ain't you one of a kind? You think we can fuck her up before we leave the cell?

Separatist 1: Do I think, you say? WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?!

"The soldiers laugh hysterically"

Susan: You son of a bitch!

"Susan spits on the separatist's face. He clears it with his hand and punches her in the side"

Susan: Ahh! I'm going to make you pay for that!

Separatist 1: Oh what's that? You want some more? Why, of course!

"The man hits her again in the stomach"

Susan: Ugh!

"Susan falls on her knees"

Separatist 2: That's the spirit. Now she'll learn to shut up.

Rj: Hey! You hit her again...And I swear...I'm going to break both your hands where you stand!

Separatist 1: Aw, Look at that, Bill. We have a little hero over here!

Separatist 2: What say we make this the first time that a hero is going to die, eh? Then maybe the movie industries will start copying our steps and kill their guys in the end, instead of letting them win all the time!

Separatist 1: I like your enthusiasm, Bill. You might not have the brains, but you've got the muscles.

"Before the man hits Rj, another separatist wearing a red beret comes inside holding another person captive"

Man: Hey, hey! What the hell are you bringing me here for? I didn't do anything wrong!

Guard: Throw him inside that cell. Tomorrow we will execute him along with the others.

Man: What? Execute me? What the hell are you talking about? I'm an honest smuggler for God's sake! I ain't done nothing wrong!

Guard: Is "Nothing wrong" the fact that you were trying to steal our weapon crates with your ship and thought you could just get away?

Man: Hey! Those guns you have there are the B-2 model Railguns! You know how much they'll be willing to give me in the black market? At least a hundred thousand a piece!

Guard: Yeah, yeah. Throw him inside the cell boys.

Separatist 1: Yes, sir.

"The guards throw the man inside the same cell where Rj and Susan are and then leave as they lock the door behind them. Before he leaves, the guard throws a plate inside the cell. The bread seems rotten and wet. He also throws a can of water. The can looks rusty. A dead fly can be found floating. The water isn't fresh either"

Separatist 1: Enjoy your meal. It's the last you're going to get, EUF scum!

Man: Screw you! I'm not even with the United Front! It's all a terrible misunderstanding! Ah! I will get out of here in no time! You'll see!

"The man sees Rj and Susan"

Man: Oh, hi there. Didn't see you. Name's John Wilcott. Smuggler in profession. Captain of "La belle"! And an honest business man!

Rj: Spare me the talk. And shut up if you can, yes?

John: Oh but why that attitude? I'm trying to chat with you!

Rj: Yes and I said "Shut up". We're all going to die tomorrow and you want to make friends? What's your problem? What's your FUCKING PROBLEM MAN?

Susan: Wait...I want to hear his story.

Rj: Susan, you can't be---

Susan: I said I want to HEAR IT. Please, John. Tell us why you're here.

Rj: This is all pointless...Fucking nonsense.

John: Well, some days ago I heard that there was a revolution in Rexus Prime. So I saw this opportunity arise. I learned out that the rebels were using the new B-2 Railgun weapons that the Rexian Government under EUF control had. So I thought to myself "John. This might be the score of your life. If you manage to get enough of these without the rebels noticing and with their few defences, because of the chaos, then you could sell it in the Black Market and become stupidly rich!". It was hard getting in here, let me tell you that. I got very lucky, however, when most of the patrol ships were moving away for some reason, opening a way for me to get inside. I think I saw cannons firing in space. I could also hear explosions. Anyway, so I safely reached the surface and headed for one of their camps. They didn't even notice me at first, which was brilliant! But those idiots caught me as I was about to leave. They hit my ship in the engines making me lose speed and height. I quickly fell down and those bastards captured me. Then I ended up here.

Rj: Wait. So...you have a ship?! Is it still operational?

John: It is yes. That's at least if they haven't done anything to her. If they have, I'll make them pay!

Susan: Wait! Where is your ship? Where did they capture you?

John: Just outside. About a few hundred meters from this god forsaken complex.

Rj: So we have a way out?!

John: I suppose so. If we can get to it, that is.

Rj: Well, what do you know. This conversation isn't boring after all! ...Ah bloody fuck. I wish I had my laser cutter hidden somewhere. We could break free and get the heck out of here. These cells seem aged anyway. But not enough to kick them down.

John: They got most my equipment as well.

Susan: Dammit.

John: But they didn't get this!

"John shows them something on his wrist"

Rj: What's that?

Susan: Looks like...a simple clock.

John: That's what the guards believed and so that's why they let it!

Rj: What does it do?

John: It's a communicator device! I built it three years ago to communicate with my droid and direct it.

Susan: You have your own droid? Impressive.

John: Yes! I built it myself as well! Well, kind of. I bought it actually. It was on discount. For like two grand. But it was really old. So I had to upgrade it. I call him "Rocky". Simple name, I know, but trust me. You'll understand what I'm talking about.

Rj: Wait, hold on a sec. Where's the doird now?

John: Well, inside my ship, of course! They found me, but they didn't find my droid! I just have to tell it to come here and cut this cell open. Simple as that. It carries a lot of different tools, so freeing us from this, won't be any trouble. If...they haven't found it as we speak, that is...

Susan: Well, what are you waiting for? Call it!

John: Oh yeah. That's right. Ahem. Ooh, there we are. Rocky, are you there? Can you hear me?

(from communicator): *Robotic Sounds*

John: Nice! OK now, listen closely. You have to come to the old facility complex just some meters away from your location. We're currently in a cell inside the eastern part, from the looks of it. There's guards outside so you must be stealthy and have your weapons at the ready. BUT EMPHASIS ON STEALTHY. That's all. You got it, pal? How copy?

(From communicator): *Robotic Sounds*

John: Good! Now hurry and get us out!

Rj: How can you understand that thing?

John: Oh, I can't. But I've set some sounds to be on-word activation. Different ones for "OK", "YES", "NO" and the rest.

Susan: Nice! I'm very surprised you managed to do all that. Didn't know that a smuggler would have time for machines, whatsoever.

John: Yeah well. I did...Now we have to hope that he doesn't crush along the way...

Rj: What do you mean by "crush"? Doesn't it have a navigator?

John: It...does. But...due to lack of parts and money to buy better ones, I haven't yet inserted a good one. So I was left with old spare parts that I had inside in my cargo bay.

Susan: How bad can it be?

John: Not that bad...I mean sometimes it understands other things and...well some others it burns it's circuits trying to find the correct command...but overall I'm pretty happy with my work.

Rj: Oh god. Great! So what you're telling me is that your droid will get captured or destroyed in it's way here and we're all going to die anyway...Good.

John: Now, now. Give it some time. The only problem it has is that...it can't get really...stealthy.

Rj: But you told it to---Oh, no. Please tell me that it wont just start shooting and alarm everyone...

John: Well---

"Suddenly the alarm goes off. Laser cuts can be heard and the door falling to the ground. A guard that was outside screams as the sound of a chainsaw cuts through his body. It comes inside. It's a 1.5 meters long rusty robot with a part of his head-piece cut out. "

John: Hell yeah! That's rocky guys! Buddy, over here!

Rocky: *Robotic Sounds*

John: I'm happy you're here pal! Now. I need you to get the laser cutter and cut this cell open.

"Rocky pulls a piece of steel out"

John: No! The laser cutter!

"Rocky puts a lighter out"

John: Not that you stupid droid! THE LASER CUTTER!

"Rocky stands still"

John: Oh great. Now he doesn't know what to do.

Rj: You've got to be kidding me...

John: THE LASER CUTTER YOU STUPID PIECE OF A MACHINE! THE THING YOU USED TO OPEN THAT DOOR! THE BLOODY LASER CUTTER!

"Finally, the droid brings the laser-cutter out and starts cutting the cell open"

John: YES!

Rocky: *Happy Robotic Sounds*

Susan: I can't believe it. We're free!

Rj: We need to get out of here. Can we still get to your ship?

John: Yes, but now everyone has heard rocky coming in...We don't have much time.

Susan: Right, we need to hurry it up and move!

John: Yes. Alright. Um...Lady, you see that dead soldier outside? Take his primary. Man, you take any grenades that he carried. I'll take his pistol and make way for us to run to my ship!

Rj: I don't know if you've noticed, but I can't run.

John: Oh, I've got it. Rocky, carry that man on your shoulders!

Rocky: *droid sounds*

Rj: What? Wait, No---

"Rocky picks Rj up. All four of them run towards John's ship which was still on the same position when the enemy captured him. They fire as they run. Every soldier in the vicinity has spotted them and open fire. Fire is exchanged. Once close, John fires a round killing the soldier that was standing in front of the ship and run to get inside"

Soldier: Aim for those scums! Bring the heavies!

"John starts the engines. He tries to lift the ship up but its damaged engine prevents it from being stable"

John: God, not now baby! Not now! Come on, come on.

Susan: Are we going yet? They're bringing bazookas!

John: These are no bazookas! These are the friken B-2 railguns!

"John tries to steer but it's very unstable. The enemy is about to fire a round"

Rj: They're about to fire!

John: There we go! Shields are up!

"As the separatists fire, the ship's shields are activated and the round doesn't do any damage to the hull. The shields however take a heavy beating"

Rj: Holly shit! Those railguns almost took out the shields with one shot!

John: Alright. Now to get some height!

"The ship starts to ascend. The soldiers on the ground keep up the fire but John managed to fly away safely after a series of small maneuvers"

Susan: We've not made it yet! It's still the space we need to pass. Those EUF ships are blocking our way and I doubt we're going to just sneak by.

Rj: You're going to have to "jump" man.

John: Are you kidding me? I'll waste all my fuel if I go into supercruise and we're most likely going to be stuck in empty space!

Rj: It's either that or the separatist fire their AA guns at us and we all die!

Susan: Just do it!

John: Ah screw...I'm going to regret this.

"John activates hyper drive, after they exit the atmosphere. As they jump, they hit the front of an EUF corvette. The ship starts shaking in hyper space"

John: Oh Jesus! That was quite the tackle!

Susan: Yes, but we're out!

Rocky: *Happy Robotic Sounds*

John: I have some clean clothes and first aid in the other room over there. Suit yourselves out.

Susan: Thanks.

Rj: Oh, I'm so going to kill Victus and his dick squad once and for all for what they did to us.

John: Well guys...seems we have enough fuel to get close to Earth. I suppose most my money will be gone for refueling...

Susan: You saved us, John. Thank you. We thought we would stay there forever.

John: Heh. It was...nothing. Really. We had a common goal. I wanted to get out, you wanted to get out. So I said, "why not all of us get out"?

Rj: He would make a fine addition to our squad. Not sure about your droid though...

Rocky: *Sad Robotic Sounds*

John: Heh. I'm a lone wolf. Captain without limitations. Money maker without a line! And a plan...

Rj: Right.

John: Ahem, so, where are you guys headed exactly?

Rj: EUF's headquarters in Washington.

John: So...are you guys EUF agents or something?

Susan: Kind of. I mean I still don't completely know what we are. But what I know is that we're a family. And that's what counts.

John: It'd be good fighting the bad guys and all.

Susan: You can come with us.

John: Nah...I'll depart once I transport you to your destination and refuel. They wouldn't accept me. What work could they have for a smuggler anyway?

Susan: I'm just saying it'd be good to have you on our side. You're a good man, John.

Rocky: *Approval sounds*

John: Oh shut up you. What do you know about feelings anyway?

Rocky: *Sad Robotic Sounds*

John: Your mates back there must be really worried I assume...

Susan: Indeed.

Rj: Yeah...

John: It's good to have friends that care about you. I mean...I used to...before they set me up on a score...

Susan: Oh. I had no idea.

John: Yeah. Me neither. But I managed...I managed.

Susan: Just remember. We're always here if you need a friend.

John: Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. So...can I ask what did those guys do to you and how you ended up in that cell?

Susan: Long story. Ambushed on a mission, really. I believe it's just Victus's minions who sent their "rats" spy on us.

John: The Rexian ruler? But I remember that after the war ended, he was captured. Correct?

Susan: Indeed. Somehow he got free. Don't know why Morgan didn't mention it to us when it happened. We would have been more prepared. I mean...Such thing must have shaken the whole council up. One doesn't simply disappear from the most well guarded prison on Earth.

John: Yeah well. But you can't be prepared for everything, now, can you?

Susan: Yeah, I---Suppose...

"Some minutes later, as they were slowly approaching earth, Rj sees Susan sitting on one of the sofas and he proceeds to sit next to her"

Susan: We'll be there in about half an hour.

Rj: I know. I just...came to see how you're feeling after...all this.

Susan: Rj, I told you. I'm fine. Just a few scars and one or two bruises that's all. John's first aid helped a lot...And how do you think I feel? Knowing that we almost died back there? Sometimes you just...need to put the past behind and...move on.

Rj: I'm...glad you're alright. If anything happened to you---

Susan: Same things happened to both of us. We're over it now. It's over...

Rj: Look, Susan. I just want to apologise for earlier...

Susan: It's alright, Rj. We're cool.

Rj: No, it's not alright. Me and my fucking big mouth! I messed it all up, I know. I thought I could do nothing, the same time I could just do it all.

Susan: Rj---

Rj: I failed everybody. I failed the mission, I failed myself...I failed all of them! But most importantly I failed YOU, Susan. I failed you when you needed me. And I can never forgive myself because of that. You counted on me to figure something out and I just...Failed.

Susan: ...Yes, you did fail.

Rj: I---

Susan: But you made up for it in the end. And you're making up for it as we speak. And that's what counts. It doesn't matter what we did in the past...Just how we make it right in the future.

Rj: Yeah...You're right.

Susan: ...I know.

"Susan smiles. Rj, too"

Rj: Who else would make my day like you do, Su'?

"At this point Susan looks at him. They get close. They are about to kiss. But at the last second, Susan pulls back"

Susan: Yeah...Who---Who would do it.

Rj: I---I'm going to relax for some time. Inform me when we reach Earth, okay?

Susan: You got it, Rj.

"After some more time, they finally reach the HQ. As they get out of the hangar bay and are heading inside, they see Reyna, Zeon, Kate, Max and Morgan all coming out of the main entrance"

Reyna: Rj! Susan!

"Reyna is surprised and happy at the same time. She quickly runs and hugs both of them as tears are dropping from her eyes"

Rj: Missed us sister?

Reyna: I thought I'd lost you! Oh God...I'm so happy you're both alive! We were planing to come and search for you, We---

Susan: Hey, we're here now aren't we?

Reyna: Yes. Yes you are!

Rj: Hello guys!

Kate: Gosh...What did they do to you. What are those scars and bruises?

Max: Interrogation. Those bastards are going to pay.

Zeon: Susan!

Susan: Zeon!

Zeon: I'm glad to see you're OK, Susan. I don't know what I would do without you.

Susan: Me too, buddy. Me too.

Morgan: I'm happy to see both of you alive. Oh, I see you also have company?

Susan: Oh, right. Guys this is John Wilcott, the captain of that ship that got us out with his robot!

John: Hello everyone! Good you're all back together...But I really must be going, now. Bye!

Morgan: Wait! You deserve a thanks, John, for what you did.

John: Nah, ah, not needed. Um, like I said, we had a common goal, to get out of there and...we did. I did nothing important, really.

Morgan: Well, you have my thanks anyway. Your actions will be remembered.

John: Thank you. Goodbye!

Susan: Goodbye John! Thanks again!

John: Goodbye lady! Goodbye everyone!

"John gets inside his ship and departs after he refuels it. He seemed anxious about something. He was really in a hurry. A few minutes later, our team heads inside to rest"

Morgan: Get some rest. You'll be briefed tomorrow. We still have a maniac on the loose. Don't forget that.

Max: Our job is never going to get easy!

Kate: Come on Max, let's get something to eat.

Max: Right behind you.

Reyna: What did they do to you, guys?

Rj: Nothing...just a few scratches, that's all.

"Rj looks at Susan"

Susan: Yeah. Just a few scratches.

Reyna: I'm glad you're OK. We were all really worried.

Rj: Victus must better start counting his hours.

Reyna: So it's true. He was in the transport that came to Rexus Prime along with his squad.

Susan: Yeah...He got out, somehow. Looks like he came as soon as he could when he heard of our capture.

Reyna: And with Darkstar on his side...I think that the battle is just getting started.

Rj: I'm afraid so. Things are only going to get worst from now on.

Susan: Unless we stick together. Because together we are strong.

Reyna: Ah, I'll make all of them pay.

Rj: No, Reyna. We...will make them pay. Like a team. Like...a family.

0